PDA

View Full Version : Duty belt question

gotthelife4u
07-05-2011, 9:53 AM
I wanted to know what some of you LEO's would recommend. I am going to South Bay Public Training for the modular academy. On the needs list it says we can use a traditional Sam Browne, or a plastic buckle style belt. Is there an advantage with either one. Or should I just go with what is cheaper?

Triad
07-05-2011, 9:55 AM
The AccuMold Bianchi stuff is considered lightweight and still has a "traditional" basketweave look.

Roddd
07-05-2011, 10:43 AM
The plastic buckle ones are nice until the buckles break. Go with the Sam Browne. You'll have that belt forever. You don't need the Velcro backing the plastic buckled belts provide.

PositiveInfluence
07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I use the AccuMold Bianchi Nylon belt system for work and it has served me well for over two years. But I would highly recommend calling and speaking to an Academy instructor and asking which they honestly prefer. But you can never go wrong with leather basket weave. Especially because I find my nylon gear needs more cleaning than a leather system.

gotthelife4u
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I should have said that we are required to have everything in basket weave. From some of the pictures I have seen it looks like you can fit more stuff towards the front of the plastic buckle belts. Maybe its just an optical allusion.

DNA
07-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Accumold. lighter than the leather, easier on your back. And my buckle has lasted 7 years and counting... :P

Dan

ckim34
07-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I would go with the accumold for the reason that others stated. I've had mine for a few years now and have had no issues. Plus you dont have to shine a plastic buckle.

1-M-42
07-05-2011, 1:08 PM
man, last time I worked uniform I think we were still wearing low slung tie downs with single action Colts.....Don't they make plain old leather basketweave with brass snaps anymore? How bout dump pouches and speed loaders?

Arias
07-05-2011, 2:54 PM
I attended the south bay academy and graduated, I still have my gear, if your interested shoot me a PM.

TURNKEY13
07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
First things first… 21 yrs on, so I’m what I would even consider a dinosaur.. that said, my leather Sam Browne has only needed one new buckle and several dye jobs during my career. Something to keep in mind, some agencies, like mine, allow a nylon duty belt, but the required belt for our class “A” uniform is a leather Sam Browne. They do however supply the leather. Nylon is at our expense. Also, try getting a hot sauce or catsup stain out of nylon.. it aint easy! my two wheat backs!

Notorious
07-06-2011, 1:51 AM
I'm like you, b/w leather is issued but nylon is at our own cost and option. I don't wear leather unless it's full dress for graduation or funerals. For general duty, it's always the nylon gear, full nylon, not that fake b/w leather nylon Bianchi Accumold Elite stuff.

As for what you should buy, if you have the option, get the Bianchi Accumold Elite. Everyone that I know that wears it swears by it and in LE, that's a ringing endorsement. I have a Bianchi ErgoTek nylon belt and it's lasted me forever and that buckle is going strong.

9mmepiphany
07-06-2011, 2:33 PM
I should have said that we are required to have everything in basket weave. From some of the pictures I have seen it looks like you can fit more stuff towards the front of the plastic buckle belts. Maybe its just an optical allusion.
It isn't an optical illusion...the other advantage is that it allows infinite adjustability within it's size range. All it needs is a wipe down to clean it...no polish or dye

Notorious
07-06-2011, 5:02 PM
Not to mention it doesn't squeak like leather and its way lighter.

1-M-42
07-08-2011, 6:33 PM
Not to mention it doesn't squeak like leather and its way lighter.

Yeah, but admit it, there aint nothing better then sitting in the back row at shift briefing, rolling your eyes when you hear the latest rookie sauntering down the hallway, squeaking and creaking with that brand new leather as he has to find his way to the front row....priceless! :D

Notorious
07-08-2011, 7:30 PM
The shine on those new belts and gear can blind the most veteran of cops through their mirrored aviators!

It's all fun and games until you go to a hot burg and he's squeaking enough to wake up the whole block!

TRICKSTER
07-08-2011, 8:50 PM
The plastic buckle ones are nice until the buckles break. Go with the Sam Browne. You'll have that belt forever. You don't need the Velcro backing the plastic buckled belts provide.

Wore the "plastic buckle" belt for the last 5+ years of my career. When I bought it, I bought a spare buckle to keep in my locker because everyone said the buckle would break. Never had to use it.

LG FIREARMS
07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
The AccuMold Bianchi stuff is considered lightweight and still has a "traditional" basketweave look.

+1 for Accumold

gotthelife4u
07-09-2011, 9:01 AM
I'm going to check out the accumold elite stuff. I have seen that Bianchi makes both a snap closure and a traditional Sam Browne. I will see if one of the police supply stores near me has both in stock so I can check them out in person.

jgorman
07-12-2011, 9:32 PM
I went to south bay as well, almost everyone wore the Bianchi with the plastic buckle. Still wearing it and love it.

just4fun63
07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Accu-mold is good stuff

Code3TacticalGear.com
07-23-2011, 8:04 PM
I was issued the Aker Duty Gear, but decided to buy Bianchi. I'll recommend Bianchi because it's lighter.

SeanCasey
07-23-2011, 9:29 PM
I am about the graduate the academy (August 9th), and I have really been happy with my Bianchi Accu-mold Elite setup. It is light, looks sharp, and worked out great.

gotthelife4u
07-24-2011, 1:02 PM
I went ahead and bought the Accumold Elite plastic buckle belt. After looking at someone in person I like the look and light weight feeling to it. Now I need to setup everything on it.