PDA

View Full Version : slugs and chokes

762cavalier
12-30-2006, 1:34 PM
Can you shoot rifled shotgun slugs through a modified choke barrel. It is a fixed choke Mossberg 500. I know you can run them through an improved cylinder choke and not a full choke but not sure about the middle one

James R.
12-30-2006, 1:55 PM
Can you shoot rifled shotgun slugs through a modified choke barrel. It is a fixed choke Mossberg 500. I know you can run them through an improved cylinder choke and not a full choke but not sure about the middle one

Pretty sure it's safe, but that constriction at the end will more likely than not result in piss poor downrange performance. Ideally you'd get yourself a rifled choke or shoot on a cylinder choke.

Regards,

James R.

loneeagle308
12-30-2006, 7:12 PM
Tighter the choke the further away your shooting buddy should be....

M. Sage
12-30-2006, 7:31 PM
You can do it, but the accuracy won't be AS good. It shouldn't hurt the shotgun.

11Z50
12-30-2006, 8:41 PM
In my experience, slugs perform different from shotgun to shotgun. You really have to go out and see which brand or type works in your particular gun. With slugs, no choke or IC works best, but I've shot slugs accurately thru a full choke barrel. Interestingly, I've had a few barrels shortened with no choke at all that shoot birdshot, buck and slugs quite well. Modern ammo tends to hold tighter patterns and chokes are less important.

I intend to test-fire the 870 Supermag with an 18 inch barrel soon. It has no choke, and I'll see how it does compared with the 24 inch Remchoke barrel with different chokes. Should be interesting.

randy
01-09-2007, 1:01 AM
Unless you take your shotgun to a hack saw jockey to shorten the barrel all barrels are choked at the end. I'm not talking screw in chokes but every manufacturer chokes their barrels.

FNC80
01-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Should be ok out of a fixed modified.

11Z50
01-10-2007, 10:47 PM
The 18 inch no-choke Supermag barrel shoots great. At 15 yards it placed all 18 OOB pellets into a standard silhouette. It also placed standard 2 3/4 slugs into a 2-inch group. Next time I'll try longer range shots with slugs. In my experience, shortened barrels with no choke are best for slugs. My "Hacksaw Jockey" was Gilman-Mayfield in Fresno. They did a good job.

I have a rifled barrel for my 870's I think I'll try sabot slugs with.