PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Creek

chuckT53
07-04-2011, 4:13 PM
I heard today that Cherry Creek above Ojai is to be closed. Info came for a person that was stopped by a USFS Ranger. Last time I was up there it did need to be cleaned. I hate to see that place closed, I do think there is any other place in Ventura County where one can shoot for free.

adalberry
07-07-2011, 7:17 AM
Cleaning it up will help extend the time it remains open. At the least clean up after yourselves. I was out there this last weekend. 3 hours of shooting and 2 hours of cleaning up my mess and alot of other trash left out there.

Dead*Reckoned
07-07-2011, 2:34 PM
Well, that sucks. I've been saying for the past couple months that it was in dire need of a cleanup up there.

avenged56
07-11-2011, 11:12 PM
well lets clean this place up. i would hate to see it closed. anyone have a date? even if its a couple of us it would make more of a difference than none.

rm805
07-22-2011, 6:15 PM
saw a short piece in the channel 3 news the other day saying it has been closed..... anyone have the latest info? Any recommendations on other open areas similar to this to go shoot?

venturasurf
07-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I called the Ojai ranger yesterday... all they said was "closed due to court order".

venturasurf
07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Here it is:

http://lpfw.org/news/1106specieslawsuit.htm

"The order also requires closure of the Cherry Creek area to target shooting. This area — along Highway 33 in Ventura County — is frequently littered with household appliances and other trash. Adding to the public safety and environmental hazards of the site is the fact that 6 recent wildfires were caused by target shooting activities in this area (in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, and 2010), according to data provided by the U.S. Forest Service."

So yes, basically it's the same as everything else in life:
The morons ruin all the fun for the rest of us.

avenged56
07-28-2011, 8:48 AM
some more info from the order http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/public_lands/forests/southern_california_forests/pdfs/06-28-11_Order.pdf

"7) Close the Cherry Canyon area of Los Padres National Forest to recreational shooting until
the Amended Biological Opinion and accompanying ITS is filed and the matter is reviewed by the
parties and the court."

so it seems like it isn't permanently closed.

Lil Bawbee
07-30-2011, 2:04 AM
it was open Thursday when i was driving by

Manic Mechanic
07-31-2011, 9:55 PM
Open or closed? Are they going to close the road or just post a sign?

Nick2
08-02-2011, 3:12 PM
Sucks to see this.

The gate has been closed to cherry creek for a long time now to prevent people from hauling trash back there (i assumed), but as far as I knew you were still able walk in and shoot back there.

magnum8898
08-07-2011, 8:17 AM
I participated in a cleanup there about a year ago. The local ranger got a 40 yard dump and probably about a dozen people showed up. We had the 40 yard dump filled up by 1 pm which gives an indication of the amount of trash that was back there. I am stretched for time these days, but would show up for at least half a day with a flat bed truck to haul stuff out.

avenged56
08-09-2011, 7:38 PM
Sucks to see this.

The gate has been closed to cherry creek for a long time now to prevent people from hauling trash back there (i assumed), but as far as I knew you were still able walk in and shoot back there.

i called the ranger station once and they said they close the gate because its illegal to cross a flowing river. so they open it up once the creek drys up.

bellson
08-11-2011, 6:07 PM
I was up at Cherry Creek on Sunday shooting....As we were leaving, a work crew was installing the sign that states "Closed to Target Shooting".

The Ranger that we spoke to told us that this comes from the Fish and Wildlife Service (Federal), and is because Cherry Creek is a feeder to the Sespe. The Fish and Wildlife folks figure that the Target Shooters are the reason why the Steelhead Trout are not happy.

The Ranger was nearly choking on the words....He knows us, we clean up every time we go shoot, and drop it off at the Wheelers Gorge Campground on our way back.

His one warning to us was this, if he finds people shooting there, he will send them home with a warning. If Law Enforcement finds people shooting, they WILL issue a citation, and confiscate ALL firearms pending a decision by the Judge. He further informed us that the processing fees to get a firearm returned are in the several hundreds of dollars in court fees.

Nice....

Milsurps
08-11-2011, 6:47 PM
I was up at Cherry Creek on Sunday shooting....As we were leaving, a work crew was installing the sign that states "Closed to Target Shooting".

The Ranger that we spoke to told us that this comes from the Fish and Wildlife Service (Federal), and is because Cherry Creek is a feeder to the Sespe. The Fish and Wildlife folks figure that the Target Shooters are the reason why the Steelhead Trout are not happy.

The Ranger was nearly choking on the words....He knows us, we clean up every time we go shoot, and drop it off at the Wheelers Gorge Campground on our way back.

His one warning to us was this, if he finds people shooting there, he will send them home with a warning. If Law Enforcement finds people shooting, they WILL issue a citation, and confiscate ALL firearms pending a decision by the Judge. He further informed us that the processing fees to get a firearm returned are in the several hundreds of dollars in court fees.

Nice....
Something is going on in Los Padres National Forest. Had a couple of USFS internes at "Rock Front" (Santa Lucia Ranger District) stop by last weekend and say the same thing about "If USFS LE's had been here" . Heads up folks, I have a bad feeling. :(

d4v0s
08-11-2011, 7:48 PM
they have been trying to shut it down and the gun club for a while now... there are a few antis in that office. and Every time i have requested access for a cleanup or volunteer efforts they just stonewall me.

Bunch of Dbags work in that office.. including fish and game they point fingers at eachother. and what a bunch of HS that its a feeder to the sespe and causing problems with fish... they just dont want people up there end of story.

Nick2
08-12-2011, 8:45 AM
I don't blame people for wanting to shut it down. The place is a serious mess.

If only people would take out what they brought in, I bet it wouldn't be an issue.

D Harry
08-15-2011, 10:49 AM
they have been trying to shut it down and the gun club for a while now... there are a few antis in that office. and Every time i have requested access for a cleanup or volunteer efforts they just stonewall me.

Bunch of Dbags work in that office.. including fish and game they point fingers at eachother. and what a bunch of HS that its a feeder to the sespe and causing problems with fish... they just dont want people up there end of story.

If they close it it'll be less work for them and they will have more time to sit on A@@.

And I seriously ask....What Fish?

steelrain82
08-15-2011, 9:33 PM
About a month or so ago rangers told me it was closed but I could walk in and shoot. I go to the camp ground at lions camp and there is USFS LE. he says shooting is a no go there but they just haven't got around to putting signs up yet. He pointed me to all sorts of shooting spots. He even told me I could shoot literally off the side of the road in certain areas ( I thought that was fud). I don't remember the locations as it put a damper on my day.

Dan_attacker
08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
In case you guys haven't seen it yet, this document shows the exact boundary of the shooting prohibition area...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5322628.pdf

In response to steelrain82's comment, I wouldn't see why there would be a problem with just shooting off the side of the road. As long as your following all the national forest laws for shooting ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457 ) and research the area your planning on shooting at, you should be good to go. But, I would probably check with the ranger station first.

What I'm trying to get at is that the prohibition area is small, the forest is a big place, and there's plenty of other places to legally shoot.

dieselpower
09-11-2011, 1:40 PM
Looks like driving just over 2 miles down the road and you are ok. Past Ortega Hill. I know that is possible. I have done it and left my truck to go into the wilderness area to the west.

diginit
09-29-2011, 8:43 PM
Another case of lazy idiots blowing it for everyone. FK'N SAD. Like a refrigerator is hard to hit with a rifle at 25 FT... :(

magnum8898
10-04-2011, 7:48 PM
Sounds like the big problem is the trash. What does it take to organize a range cleanup? I am sure that I can EJ Harrison to drop off a 40 yard. Would appreciate some funds to pay for it. Next would be manpower. I have been on a couple of range clean ups but never organized one. Would appreciate any ideas etc.

Nick2
10-05-2011, 8:46 AM
Do you know what it would cost to have a dumpster dropped out there?

OutlawStar
10-05-2011, 3:43 PM
A little google-fu and you'd have to get some quotes. Not sure if they'd deliver in the forrest area either. I'm nearly positive if we announce funds are needed we could get enough people to donate $5 to cover the dumpster and have someone barbeque for our efforts. http://www.beachcans.com/oxnard-dumpster-rental.php

I'd be more than happy to volunteer some man power for a "free" range on the weekends. I'd even be willing to part with $5 and a morning of cleanup for a burger and shooting in the afternoon.

Last time I went to the parks north of Ojai the first ranger station said the gun range had been closed for years to the best of her knowledge and shooting was prohibited. Kinda ruined my weekend since I didn't feel like driving to piru after that.

Edit: I know of 4 gun shops in the Ventura area which should allow for posting of bills to encourage people to come help who may not be on calguns.

venturasurf
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Even if we clean the place up it'll remain closed until a judge reverses the order. I'm not saying we shouldn't clean it up anyway, I'm just sayin'

Maybe they'd be more inclined to reverse it if we made it spotless.

They'd also have to go talk to the steelhead and the deer and the badgers and skunks and stuff too and see if they're okay with it too.

Burbur
10-11-2011, 3:11 PM
Even if all the garbage were removed, I wouldn't count on the area being opened back up. They are worried about spawning fish, they can cite anything down to foot traffic as a cause of run-off contamination.

Stainned
10-11-2011, 3:54 PM
It is really sad when people leave garbage behind. I like to go out to Stanislaus forest. One time out there, I found a BIG pit full of Chinese take out, and bags of human SHIYAT thrown all over. Of course, we cleaned it up. But it was f'ing gross picking up those bags.