PDA

View Full Version : JC Higgins Model 20. thoughts and questions

bballwizard05
07-03-2011, 5:44 PM
Well I got one. Excellent price so I'm excited. This is a two part thing. I have a few questions but also I would like any of you with experience to talk about the shotgun and your likes/dislikes and experiences with it.

Question: what ammo concerns should I have with this 1950's shotgun? Obviously it won't shoot 3" shells, NO STEEL SHOT, but what about slugs? And if it will shoot slugs, should I get rifled or smooth?

Also mine has a compensator thing, can someone explain how it works? This shotgun is in 10-day prison so I can't handle it right now, but is this also a choke?

Thanks for answers and comments

bjl333
07-03-2011, 7:38 PM
Did you take any pix of the shotgun? A lot of JC Higgins were manufactured by Mossberg as a rebadged 500. If you have a Cutts comp then you'll heed the spreader choke on it for best slugs. Both rifled and smooth will work. The reason I told you to get the spreader choke is the Cutts have a long jump through the compensator befor reaching the actual choke part, by having the spreader choke you are allowing more room for the slug to jump through. Any 2 3/4" shells should work in the gun. I'm still not sure which gun you have, but thats ok ...

bjl333
07-03-2011, 7:41 PM
I forgot to explain how the Cutts comp work. Actually it works just like any other comp out there on a rifle!! It defuses the gas and shoot it upwards to give you a downward push. There is a louder then usual sound from the Cutts tho ...
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/136/136002.jpg

bballwizard05
07-03-2011, 7:51 PM
Here are two pics of it. (And no thats not me holding it!) I'm almost positive it's a High Standard 200.

bjl333
07-03-2011, 8:38 PM
Here are two pics of it. (And no thats not me holding it!) I'm almost positive it's a High Standard 200.

bball, Yes that does look like a HS to me, but I cannot be 100% positive. The comp you have you really don't have to worry too much about anything. It looks like the choke part of the comp isn't attached to the comp. As far as I'm concern you have a noise enhancer!!:43: Its like a motorcycle with the tailpipe packing removed.

bballwizard05
07-03-2011, 8:53 PM
Lol a noise enhancer YAAAAY!!!!. So it won't be chokable?

bjl333
07-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Lol a noise enhancer YAAAAY!!!!. So it won't be chokable?

You'll have to post bail to get it out of jail first!! I dn't know what brand of comp is on there. Once on bail, try to find the make of the compensator then you might have a little luck putting a choke at the end. Until then .....

Thefeeder
07-04-2011, 1:23 AM

You nailed it....200

gunboat
07-04-2011, 1:59 AM
Hi standard 200 -- mine has a choke with three replaceble inserts. the inserts are in a small belt case like a binocular case. there is a small wrench included.
Some were available without the "compensater" unit and other years other types of choke assemblies were offered.

J.C. Higgins model 20 Deluxe 26" barrel with adjustable choke = $87.95
Standard, with 28" barrel without adjustable choke = $59.95
Standard with ventilated rib barrel = $79.95
Special, same as deluxe with hand engraved receiver, compensator choke with three inserts. = $129.95
Special, with ventilated rib barrel = $134.95
special, with vent. rib and adjustable choke = $139.95

source 1959 Gun Digest

Mike A
07-04-2011, 7:30 AM
One of my hunting buddies has had a High Standard like yours for years. He bought a nice Remington Wingmaster 20 guage to "replace" it once he got the money, but it's ended up a safe queen. He uses the 12 for almost all his bird hunting. Never had a hitch. His only complaint is that it's a little heavy now as he ages.

Once you find out which compensator you have, you should be able to find used choke tubes to fit it. Try the usual suspects online. If you know anybody that has a Cutts Compensator (that is the most common one) see if his tubes fit. If it turns out to be a Lyman Choke, that company is still in business and might have tubes. I would look for an IC tube or Skeet unless you are a duck hunter, then no tighter than Modified (see below). Even if you can't find a tube, cylinder bore (no choke) works pretty well until you get to shooting at long ranges like for ducks. I often use the Skeet #2 tube on my Ruger double for the first barrel on quail; it is cylinder. Cylinder is the best "choke" for slugs, too.

Not sure why you wouldn't shoot 2 3/4" steel in that gun. It wasn't made for steel, but it was made pretty stout (and isn't exactly a Purdey). Mossburgs of the period shoot steel fine and the HS is just as strong. The worst that would happen IMO is that you might get a slight bulging at the tightest part of the barrel. But if you put a skeet or IC tube on it, there is very little constriction; should be fine. No tube, no constriction. If you really need to shoot steel in it, ask about it on one of the dedicated shotgun forums like www.shotgunworld.com. Somebody will have experience and advice. I know my friend has shot steel in his old HS, which has an Improved Cylinder fixed choke, and not noticed any problems. However he only shoots steel very occasionally since he's mainly an upland game hunter and there is no steel requirement where he lives (NV) for that.

bballwizard05
07-04-2011, 8:39 AM
Thanks for all the help. Guess Ill have to wait to get it to see what the compensator is so I can get a choke. I actually don't do much hunting so steel isn't a big deal to me, but it's nice to hear I can do it every now and then. Thanks for the help fellers, looks like I got myself a rugged well built utility shotgun. JUST what I was lookin for!! Sometimes I love gunbroker, when I find someone to sell to CA. :)

bjl333
07-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the help. Guess Ill have to wait to get it to see what the compensator is so I can get a choke. I actually don't do much hunting so steel isn't a big deal to me, but it's nice to hear I can do it every now and then. Thanks for the help fellers, looks like I got myself a rugged well built utility shotgun. JUST what I was lookin for!! Sometimes I love gunbroker, when I find someone to sell to CA. :)

Yeap!! I'm pretty sure it ain't a Cutts tho ... Lyman comps ARE Cutts!

EDIT: Look into Weaver Comps!!

usedto
07-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi standard 200 -- mine has a choke with three replaceble inserts.

Yep. It's called a "Power-Pak". I have one, too.

Behemoth
07-05-2011, 9:19 AM
So this is the same shotgun with the same choke setup? It came with a small bag that has 2 more chokes and a wrench.

It could be for sale in the near future, and what would its value be ?

Bill

BigDogatPlay
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
That's an interesting compensator on the front end. Never seen one quite like that. Please post more details when you get the gun out of jail.

:)