PDA

View Full Version : can you be denied to purchase a firearm due to...

CS49er
07-03-2011, 4:33 PM
I bought a 1989 jeep raider last year around may. Paid the transfer fees and did all the paper work to put it in my name. Now the only thing I had to do was to smog it, but it could not pass and the cost of getting it to pass was not worth it. So I parked it in my parents apartment(apartment complex is private property) and bought another vehicle while intending to sell the jeep. Well, since I don't live in the apartment and it had expired tags they gave me a notice to move the vehicle or update the tags. Long story short, I didn't make enough time to to move it(my fault) and now I don't want to pay the money to get it back. Now since they have more than likely auctioned that vehicle(again I paid very little for it), would that have an issue for denied to purchase a firearm? I have no record as far as criminal and my dmv records are up to date. I just haven't had or wanted the time to deal with the truck. Any info would be great. I know you can fill out a eligibility application, but you have to wait a minimum 30 days, says expect 90, and I just don't want to wait that long.

CSACANNONEER
07-03-2011, 5:03 PM
You're fine. Just go buy what you want and don't sweat it.

Saigon1965
07-03-2011, 5:10 PM
If there's no hold on your DMV/DL then you're ok -

hitman13
07-03-2011, 6:50 PM
Why is this in the LEO forum and not the FFL forum?

CS49er
07-03-2011, 7:43 PM
You're fine. Just go buy what you want and don't sweat it.

If there's no hold on your DMV/DL then you're ok -

Thanks guys! Your right I should be fine considering I was able to register my new car on January, they never mentioned this at all.

I wanted an LEO's insight, but if this is the wrong forum - I apologize, and thanks for the heads up.

SVT-40
07-03-2011, 9:53 PM

Because he wanted the opinion of LEO's...

To the O/P. There should be no problem with you buying a firearm based on the scenario you described.

Oh, and it's perfectly okay for you to ask questions here. Thanks for your support.

CS49er
07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Because he wanted the opinion of LEO's...

To the O/P. There should be not problem with you buying a firearm based on the scenario you described.

Oh, and it's perfectly okay for you to ask questions here. Thanks for your support.

Tnk you sir!

retired
07-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I say it is ok to be in this forum also.;)

Notorious
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't see where this rises to the level of a felony which would prohibit your purchase, or even a misdemeanor, or even an infraction at that point. They can withhold your registration renewal and such but even then, I don't see how this figures into any of the 10 questions on the DROS form which would prohibit you.

Cokebottle
07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't see where this rises to the level of a felony which would prohibit your purchase, or even a misdemeanor, or even an infraction at that point. They can withhold your registration renewal and such but even then, I don't see how this figures into any of the 10 questions on the DROS form which would prohibit you.
People have reported numerous times being denied for having unpaid tickets (even without warrants... supposedly).

Notorious
07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
People have reported numerous times being denied for having unpaid tickets (even without warrants... supposedly).

But this guy doesn't have a ticket, as far as I know. Not even a 4000(a) fix it infraction. I only read that he parked it on private property and was told to move it and failing to do so, got it towed and now is subject to a lien sale by the impound lot. That has nothing to do with anything as far as having unpaid tickets or warrants.

I've had one car towed after it was destroyed in an accident. The insurance paid me off and for some reason never took the car. They left it in my name and I didn't know it. Next thing I know, the tow yard does a lien sale and sends me the notice which I didn't fight because at that point, I already got paid by the insurance, so I just let them have it. No problems with that as far as I know in my life. It was 10 years ago.

CS49er
07-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks again guys for the info, very informative. I went ahead and did the ppt yesterday. Let's see what happens.

r3dn3ck
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
had this issue myself many many years ago. non issue.

ojisan
07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Well...from about two years ago...
My son moved to Oregon a month before his CA registration renewal on his truck was due.
He had received the CA renewal notice in the mail, but since he was moving to Oregon, he did not pay the registration here.
After he moved to Oregon, he registered the truck up there right away.
No problem.
A month later, he went to get his Oregon driver's license (within 90 days per OR law).
He was denied because Cali DMV had suspended his driver's license!
He contacted the Cali DMV to find out why and they said he owed CA DMV over $600 for the truck registration and past due fines that he had not paid.
He pointed out that he had permanently moved to Oregon and registered his vehicle a month before the CA registration expired.
Cali DMV did not care, they wanted their money in full.
Several letters and phone calls to DMV supervisors followed over the next month, all this time my son had to drive with no license.
Finally, the CA DMV reduced the amount owed to only $20, but they would not back down from this.
My son had to pay $20 to the DMV for nothing to get his DL cleared.
Of course, without a valid license, he could not drive in CA or OR (or buy a gun, which he wanted to do).

Most likely the OP is clear since he was able to register another vehicle without any hassle.

But there is a chance he will be denied if he did not mail in a Non-OP statement for the jeep after starting the registration process.
Dot the Is and cross the Ts when dealing with the CA DMV.

CS49er
07-09-2011, 5:13 AM
Well...from about two years ago...
My son moved to Oregon a month before his CA registration renewal on his truck was due.
He had received the CA renewal notice in the mail, but since he was moving to Oregon, he did not pay the registration here.
After he moved to Oregon, he registered the truck up there right away.
No problem.
A month later, he went to get his Oregon driver's license (within 90 days per OR law).
He was denied because Cali DMV had suspended his driver's license!
He contacted the Cali DMV to find out why and they said he owed CA DMV over $600 for the truck registration and past due fines that he had not paid.
He pointed out that he had permanently moved to Oregon and registered his vehicle a month before the CA registration expired.
Cali DMV did not care, they wanted their money in full.
Several letters and phone calls to DMV supervisors followed over the next month, all this time my son had to drive with no license.
Finally, the CA DMV reduced the amount owed to only $20, but they would not back down from this.
My son had to pay $20 to the DMV for nothing to get his DL cleared.
Of course, without a valid license, he could not drive in CA or OR (or buy a gun, which he wanted to do).

Most likely the OP is clear since he was able to register another vehicle without any hassle.

But there is a chance he will be denied if he did not mail in a Non-OP statement for the jeep after starting the registration process.
Dot the Is and cross the Ts when dealing with the CA DMV.

ugh, that's cali for ya. I hate to say it. I moved back to cali about 11 years ago from texas, and I thought that state was harsh. He's probably happy to be in Oregon. btw, lived there in Gresham, great place. Thanks again for the feedback. I know its a 10 day waiting period, but if they(DOJ) has any issues will I be contacted or should I call the ffl?

CDK3
08-27-2011, 8:05 PM
If you owe DMV money...even on parking tickets or unpaid registration(s), etc...my understanding is you will be denied a handgun until they are cleared up.

Ron-Solo
08-27-2011, 10:21 PM
If you owe DMV money...even on parking tickets or unpaid registration(s), etc...my understanding is you will be denied a handgun until they are cleared up.

Parking tickets are not assigned to an individual. They are associated with the vehicle and have to be cleared before the vehicle can be registered.

If the DMV has a collection account on you (usually because of a bounced check) then you might have problems with DROS, since that would be associated with an individual.