PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Shotgun an ideal weapon for a ZPAW?

mrvash
07-03-2011, 6:43 AM
Just as the title states, in every movie or show that involves a zombie outbreak, shotguns seems to be the long gun of choice. What makes them so ideal to be used during a ZPAW? and no, I'm not a troll, just curious as to why it is so appealing during a SHTF event.

killathrilla
07-03-2011, 6:52 AM
Lol..
Funny thread ....the shotty is very dependable..goes bang everytime...and depending on the load will drop a zombie with one hit.

Dirty506
07-03-2011, 7:06 AM
i would guess its because shotguns are one of the most common firearms for a person to own. plus you cant realy go wrong with a good quality shotgun you always see the 870 since it has sold more than most others but 500 on the same page too great quality. in a ZPAW scenario i'd imagine more people would have handguns, shotguns and hunting rifles more so than ARs and what not just for the fact that even people that arent gun enthusiasts/hobbyists, just your average joe, would have gotten a pistol or shotgun for home protection and thats all they own sometimes. good thread though lol i love zombie discussions

AJAX22
07-03-2011, 7:19 AM
because a ruger 10/22 with 10K rounds of ammo doesn't look as good on screen

Volksgrenadier
07-03-2011, 3:29 PM
I would agree with some of the post above: people own a lot of shotguns. From hunting models to "fist full of f**k yeah" types, the shotgun is a prolific weapon. Simple to use and load, as well as devastating with the right shell at close ranges, many people have the bulk of their firearm handling experience with a shotgun. So in a time of crisis, they reach for it first.

And they look badass.

http://metaskills.net/assets/zombie_shotgun.jpg

BigDogatPlay
07-03-2011, 5:20 PM
In a close quarters fight, the combatant armed with a shotgun that knows how to run it well, has a far greater chance of emerging the winner, IMO.

Dirty506
07-03-2011, 5:42 PM
i can agree with that but the key is "knows how to run itwell". but i beleive you need to be proficient with every weapon platform you own/use or may have to use. in a SHTF scenario you may just be SOL and get a gun or weapon you have no clue about. but if that person does get the shot off with the shotgun first and he is ACCURATE its game over.

D2Shooter
07-03-2011, 8:12 PM
because a ruger 10/22 with 10K rounds of ammo doesn't look as good on screen

This is the reason that you only see shotguns shootin' up zombies in the movies

meaty-btz
07-03-2011, 8:33 PM
Actually it is because a 22 will not reliably penetrate bone at any great distance.. namely.. the head.

Zombies "don't die" unless you destroy the brain and a 22 won't do it reliably. Plus most people have never seen just the kind of obviously trauma a buck load or slug will do. Even if you don't blow away the zombies head slug to the torso will pulverize most supporting bone structure and take it out of the fight temporarily.

That and shotguns are "THE" civilian weapon. They have rested on the mantles of Americans since the 1800s. If ever there were a weapon of the Militia of The People.. it would be the shotgun.

tyrist
07-03-2011, 8:43 PM
Actually it is because a 22 will not reliably penetrate bone at any great distance.. namely.. the head.

Zombies "don't die" unless you destroy the brain and a 22 won't do it reliably. Plus most people have never seen just the kind of obviously trauma a buck load or slug will do. Even if you don't blow away the zombies head slug to the torso will pulverize most supporting bone structure and take it out of the fight temporarily.

That and shotguns are "THE" civilian weapon. They have rested on the mantles of Americans since the 1800s. If ever there were a weapon of the Militia of The People.. it would be the shotgun.

This

GW
07-03-2011, 9:20 PM
The shotgun really is a poor choice if you really think about it for ZPAW.
Bulky heavy ammo, slow rate of fire and short range. Devastating to whatever it hits but really overkill for a zombie.
Sure makes a mess of 'em though:43:

glock7
07-03-2011, 10:04 PM
in a cqb zombie scenario i don't want to use the shotgun, if you've seen the zombie movies the splatter the zombie makes when you do shoot it might be a little nasty, and may get into my eyes, nose and mouth, then i'd be a zombie. i'll use my bcm 14.5 middy. plus i can run standard cap mags if an undead breakout occurs, or if obama gets re-elected....:18: :28:

Thefeeder
07-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I'll take the shotgun with a bead sight.

The only way to drop flying Zombies....I train each weekend on a clays field, just in case they morph wings.

I recommend more lead so the pattern is centered on the head area.

Remember smooth swing and follow-through after the shot.

caoboy
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM

That's it? I think the shot gun has been around a bit longer than that...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#History

meaty-btz
07-04-2011, 1:14 PM
Well, I was specifying American, as in this country which only existed for the very end of the 1700s so to avoid confusion I said 1800s as that encompasses pretty much the entire time of this nation baring a few decades of the 1700s. That and arguably, while a shotgun is pretty much a smoothbore musket in the modern era Long Rifles were historically THE American Rifle. So prior to the 1800s you were as likely to find a Long Rifle as you would a shotgun. As Long Rifles faded into history the shotgun remained the go-to weapon of the American Expansion into the West. Even after the advent of metallic cartridges rifles were still pretty rare. A revolver cost an entire months salary for the average person, that was a little too much for most to carry. Pistoleros, gunslingers, etc, were actually not very well regarded. The pistol wearing people were one of three groups: Young Toughs out to prove themselves (bounty hunters, cowboys, gunslingers, gamblers), Lawmen, Outlaws. Sensible people carried rifles and shotguns. I know it does not fit with the mythos of the media version of the old west but it is realistic. The shotgun may not be the BEST weapon, but it is one hell of an all-rounder.

BigDogatPlay
07-04-2011, 7:56 PM
i can agree with that but the key is "knows how to run itwell". but i beleive you need to be proficient with every weapon platform you own/use or may have to use. in a SHTF scenario you may just be SOL and get a gun or weapon you have no clue about. but if that person does get the shot off with the shotgun first and he is ACCURATE its game over.

Very true, and a point echoed many times by Clint Smith and other trainers. Know well how to run your own gun(s) but also know how to run what you may have to pick up. I don't own a single AK variant, for instance, but I know how to make one run if it's what is laying on the ground to pick up.

In close quarters a shotgun under a bead sight is, IMO, much more likely to deliver a fight ending wound in marginally trained hands, than a handgun or a carbine.

George Loony
07-05-2011, 2:13 AM
Zombies, schmombies.

plumbum
07-05-2011, 8:18 AM
I thought it was because they make heads explode and blood spew everywhere... I mean that is what I would look for if I had a special effects budget. But yes, I agree that it is un-American to NOT have a shotgun.

Of course the semi-auto .223 rifles in the book WWZ make sense as well as the tactics used (circle-the-wagons/headshots).

Killawhale415
07-05-2011, 8:35 AM
ZPAW? Thats a new one to me, ill take my shotgun and my .22.

AJAX22
07-05-2011, 8:51 AM
at what distance will the .22 not reliably penetrate the skull?

300 yards? 500 yards?

If mild blunt force trauma is enough to take down a zombie, then a .22 is plenty.

And if they don't go down right away... Shoot them again... You can carry a lot of .22 for one slug/buck round

Phantom69
07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Bulky heavy ammo, slow rate of fire and short range.

I remember seeing Hickok45 shoot slugs accuartely at 230 yards...

prerunners4life
07-05-2011, 3:41 PM
A pair of ar's for ma and the ol' lady and a 1911 on my side and I think I would survive a lil bit.. Hahaha

But I got a pair of shottys too jic

X-NewYawker
07-05-2011, 4:45 PM
One is easy:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/movie%20sets-celebs/Zombie-Head-shot.jpg

Zombies move faster than the movies would have you to believe. When being overrun is possible, CAPACITY is the keep. Capacity and low recoil for accurate follow up shots (and double taps) with high velocity bullets that can create hydrostatic shock and splatter the brains. An un neutered AR-15 would therefore be best, followed by and MR1 or Mini-14 with lots of loaded mags.

You see this --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/movie%20sets-celebs/Dead-Walk.jpg

they get to you pretty quickly -- are you running or reloading your shotgun?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/movie%20sets-celebs/Grave-Cast-1.jpg

Barbarossa
07-05-2011, 4:54 PM
Only 10? I'll use all 7 rounds and beat the last three to death with my heavy wooden stock.

The Virus
07-05-2011, 5:43 PM
i will not worry about it.

BlackRain17
07-05-2011, 5:55 PM
I personally have a pump action but recently I tried my friend's semi-auto shotgun. It's amazingly accurate and the kick was way less than my pump action. It's the perfect firearm for zombies.

GW
07-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I remember seeing Hickok45 shoot slugs accuartely at 230 yards...

Nice but with an AR 400 yards plus is readily achievable and with an M1A 600 yards can be done
BTW Was this at a fixed or moving target?
Lobbing slugs is a talent that is pretty easy to do once you figure out the drop and adjust the angle of your shotgun accordingly. I have seen very long range hits with 1911's. But this is always at a fixed target that you can register on.
If Hickock is able to hit moving targets past 200 yards with slugs, or even multiple fixed targets at varied ranges past 200 yards without ranging shots then he (or she--I don't know the person) is a Master. For the rest of us 100-150 yards is about the limit.

Horta
07-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Just as the title states, in every movie or show that involves a zombie outbreak, shotguns seems to be the long gun of choice. What makes them so ideal to be used during a ZPAW? and no, I'm not a troll, just curious as to why it is so appealing during a SHTF event.

Check out “The Walking Dead” series. The movie folks seem to require the biggest bang or most physically violent end to all zombies. The humble and so very practical .22 just isn’t in the mix. In spite of that, I’ve really enjoyed the series. It’s a good tutorial for when it really happens.;):D:eek:

bigbearbear
07-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Hello,

Man...all these talk about shotguns and zombies makes me want to reinstall Left 4 Dead 2 and play a few rounds using shotguns only. :)

BigBear.

shortround1
07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Rule #1: Cardio.

Hmm, shotguns are great against Zombies because of the first Resident Evil game. If you let the zombies get close enough, you can explode their heads in one shot.

stillkotd
07-05-2011, 11:54 PM
The best gun when the SHTF is the one that's LOADED. Hundreds of people will run out of ammo before reaching a safe zone and no be able to use their weapons as they were intended. That's why I think that someone who's serious about preparing for the impending zombie apocalypse needs to have 9mm and .45 cal handguns, a 12 gauge, and a rifle in either 5.56 NATO or 7.62x39 since those two rounds are the most mass produced, and of course a good blade to get you through any stretches where there is no ammo to be found.

With that setup you can have a blade on your leg, a handgun strapped to each thigh, one long gun on your back, and one in your hands. You are still mobile enough to run, and you can take advantage of most ammo you run across as you make your way to a safe zone. Anyone who says, "the only gun you'll need is (fill in the blank)" probably has that gun themself and just wants to steal your ammo. Don't trust them.

shortround1
07-05-2011, 11:56 PM
The best gun when the SHTF is the one that's LOADED. Hundreds of people will run out of ammo before reaching a safe zone and no be able to use their weapons as they were intended. That's why I think that someone who's serious about preparing for the impending zombie apocalypse needs to have 9mm and .45 cal handguns, a 12 gauge, and a rifle in either 5.56 NATO or 7.62x39 since those two rounds are the most mass produced, and of course a good blade to get you through any stretches where there is no ammo to be found.

With that setup you can have a blade on your leg, a handgun strapped to each thigh, one long gun on your back, and one in your hands. You are still mobile enough to run, and you can take advantage of most ammo you run across as you make your way to a safe zone. Anyone who says, "the only gun you'll need is (fill in the blank)" probably has that gun themself and just wants to steal your ammo. Don't trust them.

How will you carry water?

hackk
07-06-2011, 4:02 AM
80oz camel in your tac vest... that's how

I agree with Stillkotd completely. When SHTF, I will be carrying an M&P 9mm on my leg, Keltec KSG on my back, and my LMT AR 5.56 on my front. My girlfriend will be carrying her M&P 15-22 on her back, and Mossberg 500 tactical in the hands. And of course, I will be the mule with the ammo pack... One weapon does not do it all, but if I needed to choose, it would be the M4, and the shotguns would be used only as a tool (breaching purposes). A SG does do major damage, but until hollywood stops, and real life starts telling us how a zombie will act, I'll trust my NATO round to destroy what I aim at.

Dirty506
07-06-2011, 8:01 AM
have you two ever humped around with that much gear? do it for an hour with a full combat load for all those weapons. not to mention food, water, shelter, clothing for different climates, fire making tools, and other tools in general which will all be neccessary. shotgun ammo is heavy as hell. 9mm pretty light and so is .223 but when you are talking about carrying 200-300 .223(210 rounds standard combat load) plus sidearm ammo you are looking at a lot of weight already. throw the shotugn ammo in there i highly doubt anyone in the right mind would want to be carrying more than 100 rounds of buck or slugs. if its the only gun you have then ya carry all the ammo you can without over burdening yourself. AR loaded 8.5LBS(low balling this all) shotgun 11LBS loaded, 1 pistol loaded 1.5LBSx2(2 handguns)210 .223 rounds 3LBS, 100 pistol rounds 1LBS, and lets say 60 00 buck 4LBS. you are looking at 30.5LBS of gear and we hacvent even dipped into water. 3 liters of water is roughly 7 LBS so now we are up to 37.5LBS. but 3 liters will not be enough water when you are really working hard walking/running/fighting. you bag will weight 2LBS itself 39.5LBS clothing for the elements 6LBS puts us to 45.5LBS food lets say 5.5LBS we are at 51LBS fire starting equipment 1LBS. 52 LBS now. shelter like a tent or what not lets say anotther 5 lbs. 57LBS. if you use a tac vest the weight will go up a lot too thats not even bringing plate carriers or armor into the equation(i wouldnt recommend it in this scenario even though i KNOW it works and it did save my life) its too heavy. now one of you mentioned your GF now you have to take food water and shelter for 2 people instead of just one. remember ounces=pounds, pounds=pain just saying i carried that much weifght in the mountains of afghanistan for over a year and trained for a long while before that with all that gear and let me tell you it never got easier just more bearable. unless it is your job right now to move that loaded up and you are training every day, utilizing that setup will only get you killed.

SmellOfCordite
07-06-2011, 9:29 AM
have you two ever humped around with that much gear? do it for an hour with a full combat load for all those weapons. not to mention food, water, shelter, clothing for different climates, fire making tools, and other tools in general which will all be neccessary. shotgun ammo is heavy as hell. 9mm pretty light and so is .223 but when you are talking about carrying 200-300 .223(210 rounds standard combat load) plus sidearm ammo you are looking at a lot of weight already. throw the shotugn ammo in there i highly doubt anyone in the right mind would want to be carrying more than 100 rounds of buck or slugs. if its the only gun you have then ya carry all the ammo you can without over burdening yourself. AR loaded 8.5LBS(low balling this all) shotgun 11LBS loaded, 1 pistol loaded 1.5LBSx2(2 handguns)210 .223 rounds 3LBS, 100 pistol rounds 1LBS, and lets say 60 00 buck 4LBS. you are looking at 30.5LBS of gear and we hacvent even dipped into water. 3 liters of water is roughly 7 LBS so now we are up to 37.5LBS. but 3 liters will not be enough water when you are really working hard walking/running/fighting. you bag will weight 2LBS itself 39.5LBS clothing for the elements 6LBS puts us to 45.5LBS food lets say 5.5LBS we are at 51LBS fire starting equipment 1LBS. 52 LBS now. shelter like a tent or what not lets say anotther 5 lbs. 57LBS. if you use a tac vest the weight will go up a lot too thats not even bringing plate carriers or armor into the equation(i wouldnt recommend it in this scenario even though i KNOW it works and it did save my life) its too heavy. now one of you mentioned your GF now you have to take food water and shelter for 2 people instead of just one. remember ounces=pounds, pounds=pain just saying i carried that much weifght in the mountains of afghanistan for over a year and trained for a long while before that with all that gear and let me tell you it never got easier just more bearable. unless it is your job right now to move that loaded up and you are training every day, utilizing that setup will only get you killed.

Ownage!

Bhobbs
07-06-2011, 9:39 AM
Because in movies a 12 gauge shot gun hits with the same energy as a WWII anti tank cannon.

coyotebait
07-06-2011, 9:46 AM
Because in movies a 12 gauge shot gun hits with the same energy as a WWII anti tank cannon.

It's much more dramatic that way.

Vandal.
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM

lol yeah zombies cut in half and parts flying over 15 feet!
i should get a 12g...

stillkotd
07-06-2011, 10:25 AM

That reminds me, to really be safe you should also be wearing a drysuit and re-breather setup for when you need to hide in the water for a few hours. And also a parachute for those last-second-off-the-roof type escapes.

Dirty506
07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
dont forget a PB&J for when you have to pause the zombie attack to take a break

rsrocket1
07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
'cmon
Who would watch a movie where "pew pew pew" drops a zombie.

$18.50 = 550 zombies?

superman21
07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Zombies don't run they move slow just like " The Walking Dead " :confused:

Dirty506
07-06-2011, 1:06 PM
ya i plan on the crazy zombie things like 28 days later you know? they run fast as hell and are smart...sort of. that shizz would suck ***

Vandal.
07-06-2011, 2:36 PM
dont forget a PB&J for when you have to pause the zombie attack to take a break

you mean peanut butter and BRAAAIIINNNNNNNNSSSSS

hackk
07-06-2011, 3:52 PM
have you two ever humped around with that much gear?

Yes.

Although a burden in terms of weight, moving slowly, resting often, taking my time, and observing, I feel will make all those extra rounds worth it once we find a good place to hold down and bug in. Like I said, I look at the shotgun as a tool, and tools can be disposed of. But my rifle is my life, so that will never go.

Dirty506
07-06-2011, 4:08 PM
fair enough but working that hard will deplete consumable goods faster too... its all food for thought and anything could happen in those scenarios. it wouldnt be a guarentee you find a good spot and all the sudden you are SOL with no rations or maybe you find a gold mine of food and water. who knows i'm a big fan of packing light but get the essentials. not a lot of room for error in a SHTF scenario unfortunately. it oculd be your fatal mistake

land locked
07-06-2011, 6:55 PM
Where are all the "when you rack a shell in the chamber" the zombies will be so afraid they will run away at the sound of it people?

hackk
07-06-2011, 7:49 PM
fair enough but working that hard will deplete consumable goods faster too... its all food for thought and anything could happen in those scenarios. it wouldnt be a guarentee you find a good spot and all the sudden you are SOL with no rations or maybe you find a gold mine of food and water. who knows i'm a big fan of packing light but get the essentials. not a lot of room for error in a SHTF scenario unfortunately. it oculd be your fatal mistake

I too usually pack light, but I feel water and ammo will be most important over anything else. Just like Commanding Generals staring at the same battlefield, each one will develop a separate strategy. A shack to one person, can be a castle to another if he sees the terrain to his advantage. Wilderness survival is a key skill, and without it, you will die for sure, or slowly rot away in a downtown subway.

When Z-day comes, I dont fear the threat as much as I do the other armed groups wanting my firearms. So like I said before, instead of traveling fast, and hoping they aim for my body armor, I'd rather take it slow, and remain undetected by all. When the world around you collapses, anything will eat you alive.

X-NewYawker
07-07-2011, 12:07 AM
All this makes the 9mm GLOCK with several 33 round magazines very attractive…

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/P1010626.jpg

Vandal.
07-11-2011, 3:52 PM
All this makes the 9mm GLOCK with several 33 round magazines very attractive…

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/P1010626.jpg

thats a crazy looking glock...

jack42000
07-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Besides splatting shuffle heads, shotguns can be useful tools. Used for breaching, or opening things. I have signal flares, and fire starting rounds sidesaddled on mine. there is a whole selection of less then lethal rounds (not for Zday). Hollow butt for small survival kit. And if its sturdy enough, you got a good war club after the ammo runs out.

tonelar
07-12-2011, 1:52 AM
The pump action shotgun has existed for more generations than other likely candidates (since 1893 IIRC)... So the likeliness that a survivor would have access to or knowledge of them over any other platform is definitely a factor.

Then, there's Hollyweird's fascination with them as well.

teflondog
07-12-2011, 3:37 PM

If there were a real zombie apocalypse, I would just do steroids so that I could haul that weight around with no problem. :)

tacticalcity
07-12-2011, 4:37 PM

Hollywood doesn't know jack about guns. Zombie movies (and the similar "virus turned people zombie-ish" movies) are an extreme example of using really cheesy guns in film.

Just look at the RESIDENT EVIL SERIES that admittedly was based on a video game. The guns were chosen purely based on what some geek or some director thought looked cool. Not based on any practical or realistic criteria.

That said, I don't accept your premise. Most the zombie movies I've seen do not use the shotgun as the main weapon. There might a shotgun or two, but other weapons are seen much more. This is were we get the "just shoot 'em in the head" thing. You don't need a shotgun for that. Any gun will do provided the round can penetrate the skull. So you see lots of handguns, bolt action rifles, m16's, m14s, etc.

Want some examples?

Dawn of the Dead had the cop using a shotgun, but others had handguns that they took off the security guards and the gun shop owner across the street had a scoped bolt action rifle. The TV news reports showed the military and police using rifles and handguns.

Land of the Dead had most people using the M16, but also had a prominently featured M1 Carbine and a crossbow and a few handguns if I remember correctly.

Day of the Dead had M9s, M16s, and probably an M4 or two. All US military weapons. Don't remember a shotgun at all.

28 Days later had a double barrel shotgun if I remember correctly because it was england, and you are not going to find an AR15 in the typical British home. They were adding a sense of realism for a change.

28 Weeks had the US Army restoring order and featured M14s, M24s, M16A4s, M4s, M9s and all kinds of things include flame throwers that the US military would issue. I don't remember a shotgun at all but there may have been one or two somewhere in the background.

Stake Land had mostly handguns, rifles, but also some shotguns.

Should I go on?

tacticalcity
07-12-2011, 4:47 PM
Zombies don't run they move slow just like " The Walking Dead " :confused:

Unless they are virus made zombies like in 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later in which case you better run fast. Or zombies like in Zombie Land in which case the fatties like me die first because they are suddenly all track stars. Or Vampire Zombies like Stake Land in which case you get both based on upon their rate of decay and how recently they have fed.

Hollywood can't make up its mind on how fast they move.

tacticalcity
07-12-2011, 4:53 PM
If there were a real zombie apocalypse, I would just do steroids so that I could haul that weight around with no problem. :)

Zombie apocalypse there will likely be all kinds of food, shelter, etc. The stores will be loaded up with canned goods and supplies. Just pack lots and lots and lots of ammo and leave hard the plates out the body armor they'll slow you down too much. Weapons and loaded magazines are all you need. You'll find the rest easy enough.

In a realistic scenerio, the reason you need all that stuff is because the supply chain will be gone and there will be a great deal of competition for very scarce resources. All the stores will get picked clean pretty fast. But if they were zombified, that wouldn't be an issue. Zombies don't eat feeze dried noodles, canned soup, or processed cakes like twinkies that are so packed with preservatives they have an insanely long shelf life for something that is supposed to be safe to eat.

It is seriously doubtful you will outlast the shelf life of the foods on the shelf, and if you do hopefully you've made it to somewhere isolated and away from people/zombies that is filled with wild life you can hunt. Remember zombies don't want to eat Bambie, they want to eat you.

bsg
07-12-2011, 7:45 PM
Where are all the "when you rack a shell in the chamber" the zombies will be so afraid they will run away at the sound of it people?

not a strategy i'd use.

emptybottle151
07-12-2011, 7:50 PM
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/emptybottle151/Grave-Cast-1.jpg

Chick Zombie would be saved for some RNR

GW
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/emptybottle151/Grave-Cast-1.jpg

Chick Zombie would be saved for some RNR

I think they call that necrophilia:ack2:

MossbergMan
07-13-2011, 8:35 AM
First of all, most all your zombie movies use pump action SGs. The reason is simple, the use of blanks. Semi-auto guns must be modified to fire blanks, a pump gun does not. Since the actor is manually unloading and reloading this gun blanks are easily used w/out modification. That's why they use SGs in zombie movies, not because they are the ultimate zombie slayer.
Of course you can see whay one does to a zombie at close range in my avatar ;)

I used slaughter 1200 lb steers with a .22. It's a perfect anti-zombie gun, but they are not macho or bad***** enough for the film industry.

Dirty506..Thanks for your service and the insight on what carrying a combat loadout in the real world is like!

this is a funny thread...Zombies....hahahahaha. Carry on.

superman21
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
So A .22lr will take down zombies? :confused:

meaty-btz
07-13-2011, 1:34 PM
First of all, most all your zombie movies use pump action SGs. The reason is simple, the use of blanks. Semi-auto guns must be modified to fire blanks, a pump gun does not. Since the actor is manually unloading and reloading this gun blanks are easily used w/out modification. That's why they use SGs in zombie movies, not because they are the ultimate zombie slayer.
Of course you can see whay one does to a zombie at close range in my avatar ;)

I used slaughter 1200 lb steers with a .22. It's a perfect anti-zombie gun, but they are not macho or bad***** enough for the film industry.

Dirty506..Thanks for your service and the insight on what carrying a combat loadout in the real world is like!

this is a funny thread...Zombies....hahahahaha. Carry on.

.22LR are used in the slaughtering process in modern meat processing. It works because it is used point blank placed specifically at a weak point on the skull in the proper place for an instant kill to better preserve the meat flavor. Though IIRC they don't use 22LR anymore they use BOLTS, which are steel rods fired by a 22LR BLANK cartridge.

Can a 22LR penetrate bone, yes. At what distance and from what barrel and how hot of a load as well as what angle the strike is make quite the difference? I wouldn't trust it to drop a zombie from distance, point blank? Yep. But I wouldn't want one that close to me :)

Some of the specialty 22LR out there can come out of a rifle at 1400-1500fps. That is some serious velocity. They even have fancy bullets for 22LR these days. I wouldn't expect thunderbolt to do the job at distance but some of the CCI ones most certainly would.

mswanson223
07-13-2011, 7:39 PM
The shotgun really is a poor choice if you really think about it for ZPAW.
Bulky heavy ammo, slow rate of fire and short range. Devastating to whatever it hits but really overkill for a zombie.
Sure makes a mess of 'em though:43:

A vehicle is a must then.

epilepticninja
07-13-2011, 7:58 PM
I think they call that necrophilia:ack2:

What's a little necrophilia among zombie friends??

GW
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
What's a little necrophilia among zombie friends??

I dunno... Would you want your child to date a zombie?...:no::no::no:

epilepticninja
07-15-2011, 5:48 PM
I dunno... Would you want your child to date a zombie?...:no::no::no:

Better to nibble a child then to nibble me.

GW
07-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Call me old fashioned, but zombies is for blastin' not lovin'