PDA

View Full Version : Expired/Suspended Registration

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 5:44 PM
If a driver has insurance, but their registration is suspended and/or expired...are they cited (if so, which vehicle code section) or is the vehicle impounded + citation.

A friend of mine is planning on driving cross country. What are the chances her expired/suspended registration from California will get her cited/impounded in another state?

Thanks in advance!

knucklehead
07-02-2011, 6:14 PM
In not a cop. But gotta have up to date registration on you car. Why wouldn't "she" not just take care of it. Instead of getting hassled again.

SkyStorm82
07-02-2011, 6:16 PM
Expired registration is 4000(a)(1) CVC. If it is over six months expired the vehicle can get impounded. If impounded, then he won't get the cite. It's one or the other.

I've never heard of a suspended registration though.....

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 6:23 PM
Expired registration is 4000(a)(1) CVC. If it is over six months expired the vehicle can get impounded. If impounded, then he won't get the cite. It's one or the other.

Her insurance expired. Starting in 06, if you don't have insurance, your registration gets "suspended". She wants to get her insurance up and running, pay the "reinstatement" fee (14 bucks), but her renewal came in and her registration will expire while on the road. She is staying in Florida, so she doesn't want to pay the renewal (180 bucks) since she won't be coming back to California.

Samuelx
07-02-2011, 6:24 PM
If a driver has insurance, but their registration is suspended and/or expired...are they cited (if so, which vehicle code section) or is the vehicle impounded + citation.

A friend of mine is planning on driving cross country. What are the chances her expired/suspended registration from California will get her cited/impounded in another state?

Thanks in advance!

Doesn't really matter what the chances/odds are/were if/when she DOES get that ticket and/or her car impounded...

Also, why does it matter Which vehicle code section? You/she already know a vehicle being driven on a public highway is required to have current registration or a temporary tag - if not, you can be cited and the vehicle towed (and in some cases, you/she would not be able to get it out until the DMV dues are taken care of).

She should take care of it before she drives ANYwhere, much less across country

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 6:28 PM
Doesn't really matter what the chances/odds are/were if/when she DOES get that ticket and/or her car impounded...

Also, why does it matter Which vehicle code section? You/she already know a vehicle being driven on a public highway is required to have current registration or a temporary tag - if not, you can be cited and the vehicle towed (and in some cases, you/she would not be able to get it out until the DMV dues are taken care of).

She should take care of it before she drives ANYwhere, much less across country (ASSuming her license is even valid)...

See my last post. Her license is valid. I'd like to know the code section so I can read it myself.

nobody33
07-02-2011, 6:41 PM

We cite and tow. We don't cite until 2 months over the expiration date though.

If you have previously received a cite and continue to drive you can be cited over and over too.

If it's parked on the street unoccupied it can be given a parking ticket too, and still towed if over 6 months.

Now suspended registrations are different. Cite only no tow (until it is actually over 6 months expired).

jeep7081
07-02-2011, 7:05 PM
Maybe have her call the DMV in FL, and see how you or someone in FL can help her? Maybe they can go pay the fees there, and register it? Not sure if the vehicle has to be there in the state of FL when registered?

Trying to think out of the box, and help her be legal.

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 7:08 PM
Maybe have her call the DMV in FL, and see how you or someone in FL can help her? Maybe they can go pay the fees there, and register it? Not sure if the vehicle has to be there in the state of FL when registered?

That's what I figured would be a good idea. I think she needs to be a resident of the state before she can do that though. I'll look into that...

BajaJames83
07-02-2011, 7:10 PM
if she registers the car in Florida and tells the ca dmv she will be good

Samuelx
07-02-2011, 7:26 PM
See my last post. Her license is valid. I'd like to know the code section so I can read it myself.

Maybe if you gave ALL pertinent information from the get go... so she is Leaving CA for good (or an extended period of time)? how long/far is her car OUT of registration?

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 7:33 PM
Maybe if you gave ALL pertinent information from the get go... so she is Leaving CA for good (or an extended period of time)? how long/far is her car OUT of registration?

It has been suspended since April. She plans on getting the insurance and getting it "un-suspended", but then it will be expired while on her trip...

1911su16b870
07-02-2011, 9:00 PM
Have your friend get the registration fixed first before driving out.

ironcross
07-02-2011, 9:35 PM
Or get a Temp registration? Around $50 and good for 2 months.

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. She is gonna try to get everything taken care of so she doesn't have to take any risks.

SkyStorm82
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Her insurance expired. Starting in 06, if you don't have insurance, your registration gets "suspended". She wants to get her insurance up and running, pay the "reinstatement" fee (14 bucks), but her renewal came in and her registration will expire while on the road. She is staying in Florida, so she doesn't want to pay the renewal (180 bucks) since she won't be coming back to California.

Are you sure? I think I remember you can register a vehicle without having insurance.....but there's already a section for not having insurance. I can't see how a registration can get "suspended". Maybe she means she cant renew it???

TRICKSTER
07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
If DMV knows that she doesn't have insurance and "suspended" her registration, you might want to tell her to check on the status of her drivers license as well. Who knows what else she might have forgotten to do. The registration might not be the only thing that's suspended.

Samuelx
07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I'd check into what Ironcross said. Call the DMV and see if they can issue some kind of temporary permit so she can use the car to move to another state...

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 11:20 PM
If DMV knows that she doesn't have insurance and "suspended" her registration, you might want to tell her to check on the status of her drivers license as well. Who knows what else she might have forgotten to do. The registration might not be the only thing that's suspended.

I'll ask her if she has any unpaid tickets...

0813dd
07-02-2011, 11:24 PM
This just reminded me of Fantasy Island. Remember Harve Villechaize saying "di plane" maybe a better idea. I'm beginning to doubt her vehicle will make it to Florida.

bubbagump
07-02-2011, 11:32 PM
This just reminded me of Fantasy Island. Remember Harve Villechaize saying "di plane" maybe a better idea. I'm beginning to doubt her vehicle will make it to Florida.

You might be right...haha

She told me she has some failure to appear on some old tickets...definately has a suspended license by now. I told her to get that stuff taken care of because its not gonna go away.

Well...thanks anyways guys!

0813dd
07-03-2011, 12:43 AM

JS89
07-03-2011, 4:40 AM
Suspended reg can be caused by a bunch of different things. Not having proof of ins, failure to smog your vehicle, ect...

fullrearview
07-03-2011, 6:56 AM

If it's like NV when we moved here, the VIN has to be verified by DMV.

jeep7081
07-03-2011, 9:36 AM
If it's like NV when we moved here, the VIN has to be verified by DMV.

Ya, not sure in FL. But, sounds like her license and registration are suspended. She might just need to fly there and take care of all this. I flew my daughter there (ya, dad paid) a few times and is was cheap back in the day. Might be a better route.

Notorious
07-03-2011, 9:55 AM
Expired registration is cvc 4000(a) and you can get cited on the first day of expiration then get towed when it's over six months expired. But we just got some new bulletin from DMV about it so I'll update info when I get to work and read the memo. Give me a few hours.

BigDogatPlay
07-03-2011, 5:52 PM
I bought a new truck in January. Sent proof of insurance to DMV about two days later after my agent had added it to the policy. Several weeks later I received written notice of non-receipt from DMV. Gave me 30 days to respond or else the registration on the truck would be suspended. Sent it again, problem solved.

It's all about getting the VLF into their pocket and attaching financial responsibility to the vehicle.

Cokebottle
07-03-2011, 5:59 PM
Expired registration is cvc 4000(a) and you can get cited on the first day of expiration then get towed when it's over six months expired. But we just got some new bulletin from DMV about it so I'll update info when I get to work and read the memo. Give me a few hours.
DMV is no longer sending out renewals 60-90 days in advance.
They are now sending out renewals THE DAY OF expiration.
You have 30 days to pay without penalty, and the DMV web site says that LE is being instructed not to cite for 60 days.

But that's California.

She drives through Louisiana with expired California tags and all bets are off!

Notorious
07-03-2011, 6:12 PM
DMV is no longer sending out renewals 60-90 days in advance.
They are now sending out renewals THE DAY OF expiration.
You have 30 days to pay without penalty, and the DMV web site says that LE is being instructed not to cite for 60 days.

But that's California.

She drives through Louisiana with expired California tags and all bets are off!

Actually, I just read the memo from DMV and it says we are not to cite until the first day of the second month following expiration and everyone gets thirty days grace period.

The example given is if we pulled someone over for expired registration on july 15, we can't cite until september 1.

This happy horse **** ends at the end of this year so business resumes next year on citing for expired registration unless they extend this extension.

Cokebottle
07-03-2011, 6:20 PM
Actually, I just read the memo from DMV and it says we are not to cite until the first day of the second month following expiration and everyone gets thirty days grace period.

The example given is if we pulled someone over for expired registration on july 15, we can't cite until september 1.

This happy horse **** ends at the end of this year so business resumes next year on citing for expired registration unless they extend this extension.
The whole purpose is Brown is hoping that we vote to extend the increased VLF in November so people won't be paying January renewals in September.

Funny, they used to WANT your money early. Go to the DMV 90 days before expiration to pay the $20 to get a new tag for the one someone stole? Nope... you're renewing today!

Not anymore.

Notorious
07-03-2011, 7:54 PM
Yeah well, I always get lucky and have to pay the higher fees after the vlf increase.

SVT-40
07-03-2011, 9:57 PM
I always like the hat trick stop...

Expired registration...
No insurance.....
Suspended drivers license....

Impounded vehicle.... Score!!!!!

Notorious
07-04-2011, 3:42 AM

Expired registration...
No insurance.....

We don't get suspended licenses as much as we get expired or unlicensed drivers. Most are unlicensed due to their legal immigration status, or lack thereof.

But they do mostly have insurance from that queen of the inland insurance hawkers, Adriana or whatever they might be able to afford. They can't be bothered to get a license or anything else legal but they sure got that SR-22 ready to go

Samuelx
07-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Expired registration...
No insurance.....
Warrant(s).....
Dope & Gun(s)....
Stolen property....
Identity Theft evidence....

Added a couple... ;) :p