PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here go on safari?

whomper
12-29-2006, 2:51 PM
I've been reading a lot of Peter H. Capstick lately, and I was wondering if anybody has hunted Africa?
If so could you relate your experiences.
Personally, I'd like to go lion hunting...but I don't have the money, yet.

anotherone
12-29-2006, 2:55 PM
There is one "affordable" safari group out of Sacramento that I'm aware of. I say "affordable" because when it comes to hunting in Africa that term is quite subjective. This group will take you and another hunter (2 hunters) for $10,000. That includes the guide, the hunt, dressing the animal, etc. For $5,000/hunter that's the lowest price I've seen and I intend to do it before I pass away.

Your other option is this ranch in Texas I've heard about. They have various African animals there to hunt such as Zebra, but they don't have any of the feared five. The feared five are lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and cape buffalo. For around $1,000 or so you can take a Zebra and other exotic game at that spot though I've heard.

moulton
12-29-2006, 3:22 PM
Your other option is this ranch in Texas I've heard about. They have various African animals there to hunt such as Zebra, but they don't have any of the feared five. The feared five are lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and cape buffalo. For around $1,000 or so you can take a Zebra and other exotic game at that spot though I've heard.

thats kinda like shooting fish in a barrel with a 12 guage right?:rolleyes:

pieeater
12-29-2006, 3:51 PM
thats kinda like shooting fish in a barrel with a 12 guage right?:rolleyes: It depends on the ranch. Is it 2000 acres or 20,000 acres.

pieeater
12-29-2006, 3:56 PM
I've been reading a lot of Peter H. Capstick lately, and I was wondering if anybody has hunted Africa?
If so could you relate your experiences.
Personally, I'd like to go lion hunting...but I don't have the money, yet.

I am going this summer my buddy is going for Elephant and Leopard. I am going for planesgame. Elephant is a 12 day hunt so is the leopard. I might possably be there hunting for 24 days.:eek:

whomper
12-29-2006, 9:21 PM
I am going this summer my buddy is going for Elephant and Leopard. I am going for planesgame. Elephant is a 12 day hunt so is the leopard. I might possably be there hunting for 24 days.:eek:

WOW. Good luck. Where will you be hunting? What safari firm? Is this your first safari? What rifles will ya'll be using?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Blue
12-29-2006, 9:23 PM
Customer of mine went 2 or so months back. He got FIVE elephants while he was there along with a bunch of other little critters.

pieeater
12-30-2006, 6:04 AM
WOW. Good luck. Where will you be hunting? What safari firm? Is this your first safari? What rifles will ya'll be using?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Botswana

These guys http://www.hunt-africa.com/

It will be my first time to Africa.

I will be using my 300 WBY although I might borrow my buddys rifle for some of the larger animals.

Sorry to be short I'm on my way out the door.

Fjold
12-30-2006, 7:40 AM
If you are interested in hunting Africa, check out the forums at www.accuratereloading.com . I will be going in 2008 for the first time probably for plains game but I might sneak in a Buffalo.

tankerman
12-30-2006, 1:02 PM
The only Safari I have ever been on was at Lion Country Safari,. Anyone remember that place? That lady was eaten, proving that VW's and wild animals are not a good combo.

whomper
12-30-2006, 2:02 PM
If you are interested in hunting Africa, check out the forums at www.accuratereloading.com . I will be going in 2008 for the first time probably for plains game but I might sneak in a Buffalo.

I found that right before I posted. Good luck and be careful.

1SGMAT
12-30-2006, 4:56 PM
If you like Capstick, read some Robert Ruark. he is my favorite and I think capstick writes a bit like him. I have not been able to hunt Africa yet but Ruark will make you feel like you are there. Read Use enough gun or Horn of the hunter.

whomper
12-30-2006, 5:11 PM
Thanks. I've been looking for some Ruark. Thanks for the recomended reading. I've bought 4 Capstick books this month. I'm reading, "Safari, the Last Adventure." Its very good. The book is kinda written as a safari guide for newbs.