PDA

View Full Version : What should I get for my 1st shotgun?

dholla
07-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Looking for my 1st shotgun, have a nice range by my house that does trap, skeet, and sporting clays. So looking for something that will fit the bill for that.

Thanks in advance.

shtr45acp
07-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Some yrs ago, I bought a used 1187 "Premier" skeet in 12 ga. I have it set up now with 3 bbls, all w/remchoke. 26, 28 and 30 inchers, all w/hi-v/r bbls. I shoot mostly modified chokes with all, so I can now hunt, skeet, trap and sporting clays with it. I still hunt with it, and can use for all phases of that too. They can still be had for $500 or less, and Remington bbls are stilll out there too. For way under a grand you can do yourself good and have something for all seasons. I have thought about a short bbl for home defense stuff too. Good luck.

Trapper
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Browning Citori 12ga would be a nice first shotgun for trap & skeet. You can find them on the used market for under $1000

hcbr
07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd say go to that range and try out the shotgun, the best shotgun for you is the one that fits and is most comfortable to you. If it's mainly skeet/trap, then go with what some of these fine gentlemen have suggested, and try it out, otherwise, there's no harm in thinking about getting regular staples either like the Mossbergy 500 or the remington 870, likewise, just go with what fits you the best! try them all out and decide there!

Newshooter
07-02-2011, 12:27 PM
If you are only going to buy one shotgun, try out a Beretta semi-auto. Doubles are that much easier when you don't have to pump the action and they have minimal recoil.

See if you know anyone that has any of the shotguns you might be interested in and try them out. You will know when one feels right. Where are you located at? The club I belong to gives free lessons and has loaner guns you can use to make sure you like the sport. All you have to do is pay for the ammo and the targets.

What type of budget did you have in mind???

Thefeeder
07-02-2011, 3:06 PM
Try different shotguns before you buy one.....fit is key

Here is a useful tread....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

BLC
07-02-2011, 4:00 PM
Love my Browning Cynergy

BajaJames83
07-02-2011, 4:01 PM
depends what price range your looking for.

dholla
07-03-2011, 4:07 PM
Thanks for the responses. I didn't have a budget in mind, like with all things, you can easily over spend and find something that is very similar for cheaper. But I don't mind spending money on nice tools that will function well and last a long time.

kylemurdoc
07-03-2011, 4:36 PM
Browning Citori 12ga would be a nice first shotgun for trap & skeet. You can find them on the used market for under $1000

+1 on the Citori
I use my A5 but if your serious about it over under is the way to go.

j.primo
07-03-2011, 4:42 PM
Saiga-12

+8 on over under

runway1
07-04-2011, 8:41 AM
My son and I just started shooting clays after a weekend at Turners shoot out where we tried 18/20 different shotguns. Then, see my post on taking BJL's socal skeet Clinic with Don at Triple Bs - WOW! What a privledge.

My 2 cents; I bought my son a Remy 1100 for $280 (not a typ-o) from a very reputable dealer/smith, we met at the show, here in OC. Had the gun custom fit and I'm yelling you, this thing shoots like butter.

Then, I bought myself a used Beretta Silver pidgeon O/U - awesome, awesome gun.

Bottom line - buy used. Got both these guns, +fitting, tax and DROS for $1620 and they're both excellent, top quality guns in near-perfect condition. Then, attend BJL's clinic and get top notch, professional instruction and you'll be grinning like child all the way home!

bjl333
07-04-2011, 8:55 AM
My son and I just started shooting clays after a weekend at Turners shoot out where we tried 18/20 different shotguns. Then, see my post on taking BJL's socal skeet Clinic with Don at Triple Bs - WOW! What a privledge.

My 2 cents; I bought my son a Remy 1100 for $280 (not a typ-o) from a very reputable dealer/smith, we met at the show, here in OC. Had the gun custom fit and I'm yelling you, this thing shoots like butter.

Then, I bought myself a used Beretta Silver pidgeon O/U - awesome, awesome gun.

Bottom line - buy used. Got both these guns, +fitting, tax and DROS for $1620 and they're both excellent, top quality guns in near-perfect condition. Then, attend BJL's clinic and get top notch, professional instruction and you'll be grinning like child all the way home!

Thanks runway1 !!! I'm blushing:eek:

Seriously, if you are SoCal check out the Skeet Clinic. If you are NorCal there is a linky in my Skeet thread to a NorCal clinic! We can hook you up with a shooter first.