PDA

View Full Version : .460 Steyr

erik_26
07-01-2011, 8:15 PM
I was thinking about this rifle.

Is it legal in CA?

Is it something you build or buy complete?

How much does it cost?

Do any of you have one? Could you post a picture? Anyone shoot one?

Please educate me.... Thanks.

brando
07-01-2011, 8:23 PM
Yes, it's legal. The Steyr HS rifle in this caliber is comparable to an AR50 and costs about $4000. The caliber itself is a slightly necked down .50BMG with similar ballistics. You can get the HS or you can have a custom rifle built, but the two problems are:

1. Very few rifles are made in this caliber
2. Ammo is almost non-existant

Of course, you can make your own ammo but .460 spec brass isn't out there in numbers (if at all), so that means you'd need to fireform your own from .50BMG.

I wouldn't recommend it.

tiger222
07-01-2011, 8:25 PM
Alot of money for what you get. IIRc they are in the $4-5K range. Much more fun items available at that price imho, and I LOVE Steyr's. If you must have one, by all means get one. I would suggest a Barrett M98B (?) their 338 LM rifle, that's cool and alot less. Or look into a DTA SRS, much more fun me thinks. Personally an AI AE would be a great rifle to start out with and not feel under equipped.

brando
07-01-2011, 8:50 PM
Well, those rifles aren't big-bore like the .460S - which one would assume the OP was looking for (ie a .50BMG alternative). If you had to chose a cartridge based on .50BMG, i would go with a .416Barrett, not because it's particularly good but because it's fairly common (ammo, components, etc) now. That said, if what you're looking for is a rifle for extreme range shooting, where making the largest muzzle blast isn't important, look into a .338 Lapua rifle. However, if you're a CA resident looking for a big bore rifle, your best options are either .416 Barrett or .510 DTC. You'll find more rifles, barrels, ammo, components for the .416, while the .510 DTC is nearly identical to the .50BMG.

sleepur606
07-01-2011, 8:53 PM
The DTA SRS is now available in a longer action/magazine configuration for the larger calibers like .416 Barret, .510 DTC, and .50 BMG. Or it was last time I thought about spending money I don't have.

brando
07-01-2011, 8:59 PM
The HTI isn't available yet - still in testing. Production guns aren't expected until Q3 2011.

Divernhunter
07-01-2011, 9:19 PM
I seen one in a shop long ago but they did not have any ammo for it and could not get any. Neat looking rifle but I already had an AR50 and a Viper in 50bmg so I was not interested. If you are looking to get a big 50 then get the 50DTC if you cannot have the 50BMG.

WDE91
07-01-2011, 9:53 PM
Im thinking if you do go the .460 route I would secure a rather healthy supply of either ammo or components

mrkubota
07-02-2011, 5:49 AM
AAA Ammo makes .460 Steyr right now:
http://www.aaa-ammo.com/steyr.htm

I can make it too, if you want to do an initial order of 250rnds at 5.00ea
(need to order a custom forming/reloading die set...)

.50DTC is much easier to make and is available for as little as 2.00ea for ball if you supply the BMG brass for conversion.

//Ben
06FFL - Custom Ammunition

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/bmg_based.jpg

erik_26
07-02-2011, 7:15 AM
Well, those rifles aren't big-bore like the .460S - which one would assume the OP was looking for (ie a .50BMG alternative). If you had to chose a cartridge based on .50BMG, i would go with a .416Barrett, not because it's particularly good but because it's fairly common (ammo, components, etc) now. That said, if what you're looking for is a rifle for extreme range shooting, where making the largest muzzle blast isn't important, look into a .338 Lapua rifle. However, if you're a CA resident looking for a big bore rifle, your best options are either .416 Barrett or .510 DTC. You'll find more rifles, barrels, ammo, components for the .416, while the .510 DTC is nearly identical to the .50BMG.

Thank you very much for your input. I am definitely not set on a Steyr. I am looking to a nice solid setup for long range shooting. Someone mentioned the Steyr and I didn't know much about it. You brought up a very solid point about the availability of ammunition.

While the rifle I end up getting wouldn't be shot very often (couple times a year). I would like ammunition to be plentiful.

I will be looking into the other platforms you suggested.

I also thought this topic would be a nice change of pace from the normal AR15 threads.

Thanks to everyone else that provided great input/comments.

brando
07-02-2011, 2:51 PM
It at all depends on what your definition of long range is? For many, a .308WIN or .260REM fits the bill inside 1000 yards. Out to 1400 yards people often move up to .300WM or 7WSM. All of these are widely available and economical.

That all changes when you want to go to 1900 yards and you have to move up to .338LM - in which the rifle and ammo cost (as well as the optic and other support equipment) rises sharply. To go beyond that, that's an arena dominated by the .408CT and particularly .375CT.

The .50BMG based cartridges kind of fit this weird position where they competively are shot to 1000 yards but are good ballistically out to 2000 yards or so. But it requires a significantly larger, heavier rifle and usually expensive ammo.