PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Recertification Program?

frankm
07-01-2011, 2:58 PM
A Reserve recruiter has contacted me about recertifying as a reserve officer for his PD (I was certified a Level 1 Reserve previously). Since it's been more than three years, he says there's a recert program that is something like 60 hours. Anyone do this?

ironcross
07-01-2011, 3:02 PM
Well, since level I Reserve is the same as a paid peace officer. I'd assume you would have to keep your certs up to date without letting them expire?

frankm
07-01-2011, 3:30 PM
They're old. But he said for former Level 1's, there's a quickie program.

code33
07-01-2011, 6:35 PM
POST Basic Course Waiver Process (http://www.post.ca.gov/basic-course-waiver-process.aspx)

Notorious
07-01-2011, 11:20 PM
The recert course is now 3 weeks full-time from what I heard from a guy who just did it. If POST doesn't let you recert, and it happens, then you have to go through the whole academy again. That's a pain!

ironcross
07-01-2011, 11:56 PM
The recert course is now 3 weeks full-time from what I heard from a guy who just did it. If POST doesn't let you recert, and it happens, then you have to go through the whole academy again. That's a pain!

That's what I've been saying.

What I've seen from POST. Is that you need to either be employed by a LEA or working as a LEO. For X amount of time. But if you have not worked then you need to get recert.

socalblue
07-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Wow, it's always been the full academy again after more than three years (or 5 in some circumstances). The regular recert course was 240 hours then testing. Fail & it's 16 the full shot again.

Keep us posted please!

socalblue
07-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Well, since level I Reserve is the same as a paid peace officer. I'd assume you would have to keep your certs up to date without letting them expire?

No, you have to be employed by an agency for in-service training to count.

BigDogatPlay
07-02-2011, 8:42 AM
The quickie program is, for all peace officers in California, the re-certification course. When I did re-certification in 1999 the POST requirement was 120 hours, and in the link above it notes 136. I think some presenting academies might be adding to that a bit with some additional stuff. If you are more than 3 years removed from employment or the basic academy, the employing agency can still sponsor you through as I understand it.

When I re-certified there was one guy in the class who didn't pass it. His agency was trying to find another re-certification course to send him to, but the other option would indeed be to re-take the basic academy.

frankm
07-02-2011, 9:37 AM
The recruiter told me it's only 60 hours now. I've thought about being a reserve off and on again but didn't want to go to the academy again. This makes it easier to think about. I think I'll mull it over for awhile. At least I know it's a possibility now. Interestingly enough, this dept. just authorized CCW's for all reserves. Not that that should be the reason. I'm in good standing at my old dept. and have over 2,000 field hours, including assisting detectives, etc. as a marked unit. Something they would appreciate. Anyway, I know how to get ahold of him. Interesting possibility...

cope113
07-04-2011, 12:34 AM
http://post.ca.gov/basic-course-waiver-process.aspx

Notorious
07-04-2011, 2:17 AM
The recruiter told me it's only 60 hours now. I've thought about being a reserve off and on again but didn't want to go to the academy again. This makes it easier to think about. I think I'll mull it over for awhile. At least I know it's a possibility now. Interestingly enough, this dept. just authorized CCW's for all reserves. Not that that should be the reason. I'm in good standing at my old dept. and have over 2,000 field hours, including assisting detectives, etc. as a marked unit. Something they would appreciate. Anyway, I know how to get ahold of him. Interesting possibility...

As long as you have powers of arrest as a reserve, doesn't LEOSA cover the legalities of carrying?

The only thing the department can do is ban your off duty carry by policy and even that is being questioned by quite a few cops in certain agencies as to whether a department can even do that.

code33
07-04-2011, 8:53 AM
Legal? Yes.
Reserves are normally "At-will" so do something management doesn't like, goodbye.

As long as you have powers of arrest as a reserve, doesn't LEOSA cover the legalities of carrying?

The only thing the department can do is ban your off duty carry by policy and even that is being questioned by quite a few cops in certain agencies as to whether a department can even do that.

Notorious
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I figure unless their reserve policy says no off duty carry, they don't needed to issue a CCW in the first place because LEOSA takes care of the legalities so the department doesn't even have to worry about the liability of issuing it which used to be the old excuse as to why they used to not let reserves carry off duty.

I forgot which department it was but the chief once made a statement that he didn't believe reserves needed to carry off duty because they are not really out there enough.

Stupidest thing that I have heard. All it takes is one minute out there in uniform so some asshat knows your face and then see you in plain clothes to do something stupid. By that same reasoning, full timers don't need to carry until they have at least a few months on the job either.

I was told there was (is?) a department that didn't let their guys carry off duty until they pass FTO. Sorry, that would be a deal breaker for me. You're not going to play with my life over personal politics.

/rant off

thefiveoh
07-05-2011, 9:26 PM
No, you have to be employed by an agency for in-service training to count.

Reserve officers recieve the same credits for in service training as full time. As long as they put in 16 hours a month, their certs will remain valid. Once the service stops, the person has 3 years to get a new law enforcement position.

Same as full time officers, they just do it for free.

Notorious
07-05-2011, 9:55 PM
Reserve officers recieve the same credits for in service training as full time. As long as they put in 16 hours a month, their certs will remain valid. Once the service stops, the person has 3 years to get a new law enforcement position.

Same as full time officers, they just do it for free.

Reserve officers have the same 24 hour CPT requirement every 2 years just like full-timers. Your POST has to be kept up with those CPT hours as well as your 16 hours per month of police work.

Santa Cruz Armory
07-05-2011, 9:59 PM
My level I is old... I'd love to be able to re-cert it and apply as a Reserve for our local S.O.

I'll have to look into this when I have more time.

Notorious
07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Good luck and I hope they don't make you do the whole academy again. The 3 week re-cert is bad enough from what I hear.

retired
07-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Gee, I've been retired for 8 years, have a "few" medical issues and I'm 61; I wonder if I can get back on my former dept.:D