PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint or Eotech?

Cato
07-01-2011, 3:36 PM
Which do you guys prefer and why? I'm thinking about putting it on a 20" AR. Are there serious differences between the two? All I've found thusfar is battery life.

cmoore
07-01-2011, 3:44 PM
While I've used both, I'm using an EoTech 553 @ work now and it's been great. What I like about it over the Aimpoint is the larger FOV, reticle and the NV capability.

It really depends on your needs, but either is a great choice.

cmoore

CK_32
07-01-2011, 3:48 PM
No one can tell you go look through both. It's aike asking should I get a Honda civic or acute integra. One is as good as the other but they are 2 differant cars.

Veggie
07-01-2011, 4:03 PM
I prefer the larger FOV of the eotechs. But I wish it had the battery life of aimpoints.

Cato
07-01-2011, 4:11 PM
I prefer the larger FOV of the eotechs. But I wish it had the battery life of aimpoints.

That seems to be the difference I've found thusfar: FOV versus more battery life.

tomd1584
07-01-2011, 4:13 PM
there must be dozens of threads on Eotech vs. Ampoint. try searching...

I prefer AP's. field of view isn't an issue if you shoot both eyes open, the housing dissapears. Battery life and ruggedness are in favor of the aimpoints as well.

Outta Control
07-01-2011, 4:16 PM
^^^^
This

AP=Win!

EvolutionGSR
07-01-2011, 4:22 PM
I like the eotech reticule, i wish aimpoint had a scope wih a circle dot.

AM9000
07-01-2011, 4:25 PM
EOTECH - Better sight picture overall I think.
Aimpoint - second to NONE durability and better battery life.

I own both and prefer aimpoint because of the smaller dot size.

fuenstock
07-01-2011, 4:29 PM
I've owned both, and now only have aimpoints. My reason for choosing aimpoint over eotech is that I like aimpoints 2moa single dot better than eotech when with using with a 3x magnifier. I also feel like the aimpoint housing dissapers more when looking thru it with both eye. They are both top qualty so you really couldnt go wrong with either, they will both get the job done.

xxINKxx
07-01-2011, 4:29 PM
You gotta shoot with both to make the choice. I've owned an eotech, then sold it to get an aimpoint comp ml3, didn't really care for it. Then traded it straight across with a calguns member for a new eotech xps3.0 which is really small and light with a huge sight picture.

Some prefer aimpoints so they don't gotta spend a few bucks on batteries. None of my eotechs batterys have died in years. I acually like to turn them off after I shoot. Batteries are cheap anyways. I like the fact I can run to walmart and pick up batteries for the eotech if they needed replacement. With the aimpoints it's not as easy to find.

Also with most aimpoints models you gotta spend the extra money on a good mount. Eotech no extra money is needed after the initial purchase

Both are great, try to shoot with someones who has them installed gun and see.

Spearo
07-01-2011, 4:30 PM
Aimpoint is much more durable and reliable.

The Aimpoint Pro looks like a good deal. If you want a smaller and lighter package the H-1 or T-1 micro are an even better choice. Thrown atop a Larue mount and you are good to go.

reg290
07-01-2011, 5:05 PM
What I like about it the eotech over the Aimpoint is the larger FOV, and pin-point 1 moa circle-dot reticle.

This weekend at the range, some buddies and myself were shooting empty shotgun shells at 50 yards with no magnifiers and no bench (with my eotech 511).....purely freestanding. Although that may not be impressive to some here, my biddies had never shot an Ar-15 before.

Ackrite
07-01-2011, 5:22 PM
I like the Eotech. Better FOV and reticle imo. As far as durability, AP might win that but I've never seen any actual torture tests on either an AP or Eotech. For the most part, most civilians will only ever use their rifles at the range and they are tansported in secure cases such as pelicans so I highly doubt most people would ever need to find out exactly how durable their sights are. And for battery life, 500 hours on an Eotech isn't anything to complain about. If you can afford enough ammo for 300-500hrs of shooting, then a couple of bucks for new batteries shouldn't be an issue.

HK Dave
07-01-2011, 5:46 PM
I own both... they're both great. I prefer the Eotech for the sight window along with much better reticle. I like the aimpoint micro for its light weight and tank like build... the battery life is nice too but something i don't really need.

In my opinion, the nicest red dot out right now is the Aimpoint M4... if you hold on in your hands, there's no doubt its pure quality...

If i could only have one, it'd be an Eotech.

Spearo
07-01-2011, 5:54 PM
I've never seen any actual torture tests on either an AP

Now you have....

It's a T-1 Micro. +1 to DD too.

xfojMy1MWok

vintagearms
07-01-2011, 5:59 PM
Have had EOtechs for about 10+ years. I actually prefer the Aimpoints now. For those that say EOtechs have a better field of view have not had much practice keeping both eyes open with the Aimpoints. Reticle wise its personal preference.

Outta Control
07-01-2011, 6:06 PM
Now you have....

It's a T-1 Micro. +1 to DD too.

xfojMy1MWok

Go to the 7:00 mark for the test.

FourLoko
07-01-2011, 6:08 PM
if you want a red dot, try a Primary Arms and see how you like it

most people using Aimpoints and EOTechs don't need an optic of that caliber

huckberry668
07-01-2011, 6:12 PM
I've used Aimpoint for about 17 years now. I still have an Aimpoint 1000 from the early 90s with a 12, 13 year old battery and still working great. I've seen several Eotechs and compared them side by side. my preference is still with single red dot sights like Aimpiont, Ultradot. I believe simplicity is most important when it comes to a 1x optical sight.

Eotech, Meprolight M21 Bullseye recticles aren't sharp. The outer circle obstructs the view and take away from your concentration on the center dot. Remember the saying 'aim small miss small'? it's lost on the Eotech and Meprolight M21 Bullseye. 1 single dot is simple and forces you to have to focus on the dot and gives you more unobstructed view of the target and surroundings.

The lack of sharp edge on the Eotech & M21 recticle dot takes away from precision aiming. I have 100% hit rate standing offhand at an 18" gong at 200 yards and much higher hit counts at 300 yards with my 2MOA Aimpoint 1000, 4moa Ultradot and 3moa Aimpoint CompM than the Eotech. The M21 Bullseye is almost unusable at those distances.

Personally I'd recommend a good single dot sight like Aimpoint and Ultradot. Ultradot is probably one of the best value dot sights not many know about. I believe it's been a favorite of bullseye shooters for years for its sharp, perfectly round dot. It's not as 'combat' worthy as an Aimpoint but let's face the fact here. It costs 1/3 of a Aimpoint compM2/3. I have 2 myself.

rattlesnake_nm
07-01-2011, 7:24 PM
Torture test, Aimpoint hands down. I have both, and cling to my eotech. The aimpoint pro is badass, but I like the f.o.v. of the eotech, and reticle better. Batteries aren't an issue. I carry surefire g2ls so I carry sf123s already. It boils down to personal preference. I use my pro all of the time, but like the eotech better.

jokat989
07-01-2011, 7:39 PM
a2 iron sights no bateries to die and more accurate-

although im a kiss minimalist

brando
07-01-2011, 7:56 PM
This debate comes up constantly - mods, please sticky one of these threads....some day.

Capita159
07-01-2011, 8:02 PM
Which do you guys prefer and why? I'm thinking about putting it on a 20" AR. Are there serious differences between the two? All I've found thusfar is battery life.

I personally like using Eotech. The reticle is easy to use and is range finding friendly, if ever needed. I used a 512 for awhile on my old DPMS 20" Hbar.

Then I got into an Aimpoint M4, T1, as well as a Vortex Strikefire. Those red dots requires no brains to use, just point and shoot. Aimpoint's micros is lighter than a Eotech, which makes a big differences and the battery life is also great. Another positive side is the objective "round" tube. it is easier to co-witness with iron sights. So if the battery dies, you can leave the Aimpoint on the rifle to quickly and accurately align your targets with the iron sights.

My two cent!

But I gotta tell ya, ever since I switched to Trijicons and their ACOGs. I am not going back. On my TA33, anything closer than 25 yards, it's pistol time. And everything further than 50yards, the ACOG's magnification brings the subject closer. I have a TA31F on back order. That is indeed the ultimate optic system for any AR15 application. You got the X4 with BDC for 50-600 yards, and anything closer range under 50 yards, the RMR red dot goes in use. And talk about battery life, what battery life? My buddy's 15 year ago ACOG's tritium is still nicely lit. But then again, if you fail to refill your tritium after 10years, it's no one's fault but yours.

Outta Control
07-01-2011, 8:03 PM
OP: What are your plans for the RDS anyways. If you are a bench shooter/plinker go with a Vortex Sparc or Primary Arms but if you plan on getting down and dirty at a tactical class then Aimpoint all the way.

Outta Control
07-01-2011, 8:08 PM
...But I gotta tell ya, ever since I switched to Trijicons and their ACOGs. I am not going back. On my TA33, anything closer than 25 yards, it's pistol time. And everything further than 50yards, the ACOG's magnification brings the subject closer. I have a TA31F on back order. That is indeed the ultimate optic system for any AR15 application. You got the X4 with BDC for 50-600 yards, and anything closer range under 50 yards, the RMR red dot goes in use. And talk about battery life, what battery life? My buddy's 15 year ago ACOG's tritium is still nicely lit. But then again, if you fail to refill your tritium after 10years, it's no one's fault but yours.

At my last Tactical course a week ago some one had an ACOG fail on the low-light portion of the course. I now realize that ACOGS are great for day time, 50+ yards targets but they fail anything beyond that. Low Light, CQB, and fast target acquisition drills. You should really look for what you are using it for and decide what best suits your need.

Bobby Hated
07-01-2011, 9:51 PM
i dont like tubular sights for < 100 yds. just my preference. the battery thing is a non issue for me.

i run a eotech 557 with an eotech 3x mag on my primary rifle for 3gun. the combo has everything i want. ring and dot reticle for close quarters, and 3x magnification with bdc for 100 yds +

Capita159
07-02-2011, 12:15 AM
You should really look for what you are using it for and decide what best suits your need.

Agreed,

ACOGs in general are hard to use during low light scenarios. A Doctor optic or RMR mounted red dot will solve that problem. I personally never had an ACOG fail on me. How did that person's ACOG failed on him/her?

Cato
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM
But I gotta tell ya, ever since I switched to Trijicons and their ACOGs. I am not going back. On my TA33, anything closer than 25 yards, it's pistol time. And everything further than 50yards, the ACOG's magnification brings the subject closer. I have a TA31F on back order. That is indeed the ultimate optic system for any AR15 application. You got the X4 with BDC for 50-600 yards, and anything closer range under 50 yards, the RMR red dot goes in use. And talk about battery life, what battery life? My buddy's 15 year ago ACOG's tritium is still nicely lit. But then again, if you fail to refill your tritium after 10years, it's no one's fault but yours.

Would you say ACOGs aren't suitable for close quarters combat? Are those what the US Marines use?

Capita159
07-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Would you say ACOGs aren't suitable for close quarters combat? Are those what the US Marines use?

No, I think ACOGs are fine for CQB. They have them in 1.5X as well. Yes, the Marines uses ACOGs as well.

MrPlink
07-02-2011, 4:10 AM
No, I think ACOGs are fine for CQB. They have them in 1.5X as well. Yes, the Marines uses ACOGs as well.

yeah, USMC uses em, but believe it or not they dont switch out to a 1.5x model for CQB.

Dhena81
07-02-2011, 4:35 AM
I don't always drink kool aid but when I do I prefer Aimpoints

Outta Control
07-02-2011, 6:20 AM
Agreed,

ACOGs in general are hard to use during low light scenarios. A Doctor optic or RMR mounted red dot will solve that problem. I personally never had an ACOG fail on me. How did that person's ACOG failed on him/her?

During low-light the student could see the reticle but not the target but once the technique of turning the hand held light on you couldn't see it anymore. That is a bad Ju-Ju.

The War Wagon
07-02-2011, 6:26 AM
LOVE EOTech's - solidly built and great technology,

BUT...

If you have astigmatism (and I do), you want the Aimpoint's 2 MOA dot. Because the smaller the dot, the smaller the bloom. And that's why I use Aimpoints.

And they're not too shabby in the construction/quality/technology department, either. :D

Outta Control
07-02-2011, 6:26 AM
yeah, USMC uses em, but believe it or not they dont switch out to a 1.5x model for CQB.

The Marines use ACOG not for CQB at all. They use the ACOG since most engagement they encounter are at the 200 yard distance. For CQB they use their IR Laser aiming device.

Bobby Hated
07-02-2011, 7:43 AM
usmc use eotechs for cqb. they have a usmc eotech model with digi camo and the mc logo on it. its nv compatible, aa battery, one dot reticle and rear buttons.

Dhena81
07-02-2011, 7:51 AM
While I've used both, I'm using an EoTech 553 @ work now and it's been great. What I like about it over the Aimpoint is the larger FOV, reticle and the NV capability.

It really depends on your needs, but either is a great choice.

cmoore

News to me that an Aimpiont isn't NV compatible.

fuenstock
07-02-2011, 7:55 AM
LOVE EOTech's - solidly built and great technology,

BUT...

If you have astigmatism (and I do), you want the Aimpoint's 2 MOA dot. Because the smaller the dot, the smaller the bloom. And that's why I use Aimpoints.

And they're not too shabby in the construction/quality/technology department, either. :D

True, I have astigmatism also and the eotech would turn to a big red blob. My aimpoints are 2moa and basically turn into 4moa dots because of my astigmatism. Wearing my glasses fixes this problem, but I won't always be able to get to them. The single 2 moa dot for me is fine even with out my glasses even if it's bloomed out a little. Good point to consider if you have eye troubles.

21SF
07-02-2011, 7:55 AM
I like the eotech reticule, i wish aimpoint had a scope wih a circle dot.

Wow , you mean the fuzzy out of focus reticule?

Eotech suck, once you get time with both. period.

Bobby Hated
07-02-2011, 8:04 AM
i make 400-500 yd shots in 3gun competition with no problem with my eotech with mag.

i dont know what this business about fuzzy dots is about. nothing fuzzy about any of my eotechs.

utvtactical
07-02-2011, 8:51 AM
Being 56, I find that having the big circle helps me focus in on the small dot. That is why I like my Eoech XPS2. The battery life sucks compared to an Aimpoint, though.

docsmileyface
07-02-2011, 9:18 AM
Love the EOTech's field of view and reticle. Hate its battery life and reliability, have owned five different models and they all sucked the juice out of their batteries right quick, even when off sitting in my safe. Aimpoints are pretty solid but I've had some issued ones have problems holding zeroes, and the battery life in country was nothing near the advertised leave it on forever.

However if I had to choose I would probably go with a Comp4 Aimpoint as it has proven more reliable to me than the EOTech, and uses a much more common AA battery. I don't like the tube though, it gives me tunnel vision compared to the EOTech's wide open view screen.

Give me a real choice, like Elcan Specter DR vs ACOG :D

E__WOK
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Some prefer aimpoints so they don't gotta spend a few bucks on batteries. None of my eotechs batterys have died in years. I acually like to turn them off after I shoot. Batteries are cheap anyways. I like the fact I can run to walmart and pick up batteries for the eotech if they needed replacement. With the aimpoints it's not as easy to find.

I don't want my scope to turn off by itself.

5 years worth of aimpoint batteries take up much less space 500 hours of batteries for the eo turd. If you haven't replaced a battery yet that means it has spent more time in storage than being used.

zfields
07-02-2011, 10:49 AM

If your using the aimpoint correctly, both eyes open, FOV is the same as normal vision.

prerunners4life
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I like the trijicon reflex.. I know u don't have it listed but u might wanna check them out.. No batteries to worry about..
Adjust from low light to sunlight by themselves.. Awsome sight.. Have 2 of them and sold my eotechs and will not go back..

Just my opinion though

Cato
07-02-2011, 1:34 PM
usmc use eotechs for cqb. they have a usmc eotech model with digi camo and the mc logo on it. its nv compatible, aa battery, one dot reticle and rear buttons.

Do they change out optics in the field? In combat do they have enough forewarning to know what optics to bring?

Latigo
07-02-2011, 1:42 PM
I've owned both, and now only have aimpoints. My reason for choosing aimpoint over eotech is that I like aimpoints 2moa single dot better than eotech when with using with a 3x magnifier. I also feel like the aimpoint housing dissapers more when looking thru it with both eye. They are both top qualty so you really couldnt go wrong with either, they will both get the job done.

Huh? You prefer a 2moa to a 1moa using the magnifier?? Why?

I have a few of them. This one's a Military Eotech with a 4x MFTS Magnifier on an AR10/A4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/AR10A4-1.jpg

Another A4, same setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/AR10A42.jpg

Latigo
07-02-2011, 1:57 PM
Forgot to mention that two years before I bought the different systems I have now, my Dad had called (among others) both companies to ask about durability tests on different models and comparisons. Both companys said that there has never been a comparative done between these two.
The US Army uses both, so it's nothing more than personal opinion based on nothing much.

evidens83
07-02-2011, 2:18 PM
EOTech

Latigo
07-02-2011, 2:21 PM
Don't know how solid it is, but good reading about them.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/02/chris-dumm/gear-review-eotech-vs-aimpoint-vs-primary-arms-red-dot-scopes/

arking
07-02-2011, 3:52 PM
i like my eotech.
and you can usually find them for a good deal.
as im selling my 522 model for 380 shipped :43:

Outta Control
07-02-2011, 4:00 PM
...Live me a real choice, like Elcan Specter DR vs ACOG :D

Oh I've had the opportunity to run with an Elcan. I was not impressed at all. It was heavy and very expensive. You are better off with a T1.

AndrewNotary
07-02-2011, 5:00 PM
I don't have personal experience with using either however after much research I'll be going with an Aimpoint Comp M2 or M3 mounted on a Midwest Industries / US Palm AK rail system to mount an optic above the gas block when it comes out on the market and I'll be picking up an Arsenal 7.62x39. This setup allows a lower 1/3 co-witness and apparently ventilates quite well so less problems with heat than the Krebs.

tacticalcity
07-02-2011, 5:32 PM
EoTech is easier to use because the standard retical is better. However like you said, the Aimpoint battery lasts longer. I've used both, lean towards EoTech.

45R
07-02-2011, 5:37 PM

Aimpoint T1. Small footprint, bomb proof and great battery life.

FOV isn't even an issue if you shoot with both eyes open.

Either would work out fine really. Just depends on if you want a single red dot or that EOTECH dot/circle.

Chontkleer
07-02-2011, 5:46 PM
Leupold vx-r firedot. Best of all worlds and 10,000 hr. battery life. You can do two eyes open for close range and crank it up to 4x magnification and hit 300 yard targets standing in a stiff wind all day long.

Flyingpootang
07-02-2011, 5:46 PM
Aimpoints are much faster turning on, dimming/brightening when moving from indoors to out doors, has a battery life of 3-5 years when left on at level 7. If you ever needed your sight in a hurry, I'd hate to be fumbling around trying to turn it on or trying to adjust the brightness.

E__WOK
07-09-2011, 11:18 AM
OP, how do you intend to deploy your full length rifle, DMR or close range shooting? Neither sights are perfect for long range without magnifiers. If you want to shoot long range, get a real scope.

762.DEFENSE
07-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Both make amazing optics. The only real difference you'll notice is Battery Life vs. F.O.V.

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I run acog or Irons. I really dont like red dots.

SIGSHOOTR
08-16-2011, 1:30 AM
Eotech. Best recticle and sight picture IMO- esp for CQB. The 65 MOA ring was also good as a makeshift rangefinder and the 1 MOA dot doesn't blot out targets at longer ranges. Battery life and reliability never an issue in my experience. I've bashed my Eotech hard on all sorts of stuff. When I was in, I had a 10.5" upper with an Eotech and a 14.5" upper with an Elcan. Aimpoint is a good optic too-- but I never liked the larger single dot and tossed it after a deployment with it.

Shenaniguns
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Why are you putting it on a 20"? I'd rather set up a 18 or longer AR with magnification and use an Aimpoint for more CQB-200 yard stuff.

SuperSet
08-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with Shenaniguns, although I'm using an AP + magnifier setup on my 18" Noveske. The rifle length gas runs a little smoother than carbine/midlength to me.

Shenaniguns
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
i make 400-500 yd shots in 3gun competition with no problem with my eotech with mag.

i dont know what this business about fuzzy dots is about. nothing fuzzy about any of my eotechs.

Depends on your eyesight, I had astigmatism and my T-1 reticle looked like the Infinity Audio symbol.

HK Dave
08-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I own both, prefer the eotech's window... and contrary to what people think... eotechs are built pretty tough... i've heard stories of them falling from high places and being just fine. But my aimpoints sure do look tougher.

The eotechs reticle is VASTLY superior to the aimpoint. It's not just a dot thing or a circle thing... it's about how the target is acquired and how the reticle responds to movement along with the sight picture. But that's just me... people like different things.

The battery life on aimpoints is exaggerated. I read the manuals, in order to get the advertised battery life, they have to be set to a pretty low setting. Have it idle on the setting you'd actually use and the life is cut to 1/3rd or something. Still much longer than an eotech of course, but batteries are easy to replace. ;)

NorCalDustin
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
You need to go look though both and decide for yourself.

That said, I own both... I have had electronics issues with one of my AA EOTech's (They would just fail during very light use)... They replaced it for me a couple of times and this most recent time It seems to be fixed... I like the wide range of view i get with the EOTech and I really like the 1MOA dot for a lot of precision. Beyond that, I think they're at a really good price point. Tip: If you get a CR123 version, make sure you keep battery's on hand for it... Sometimes I have a hard time getting them locally.

Aimpoints... I've not had any issues when really abusing them very badly... But, I dont really like looking through the tube... I tend to prefer the 2MOA versions and find that If i need a larger dot I can just turn it's brightness up. Battery life is very good and I tend to just leave them on. If you get a version that uses a button style battery, make sure you keep a couple extra on hand. Price point... Ehh... They're about double the cost of the EOTech's.

That said, I still generally like Aimpoints. Meh... It's all personal preference and, as i said, you need to go look though both yourself.

West coast
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
there must be dozens of threads on Eotech vs. Ampoint. try searching...

I prefer AP's. field of view isn't an issue if you shoot both eyes open, the housing dissapears. Battery life and ruggedness are in favor of the aimpoints as well.

What he said^^

SoCalXD
08-30-2011, 11:00 PM
I know this thread is older, but since I own both scopes, I thought I'd chime in for future buyers: I'm faster with my EoTech out to 50yrds, but that's where my Micro H1 starts getting faster and stays faster all the way out. Pick according to use model.
The Eotech's low reticle resolution kinda sucks with magnification (I don't like seeing all the small red dots that make up the circle, and the 1MOA center dot is like 2x2 dots, which annoys me for some reason ). So, if you are really, really going to go magnification later, I'd suggest an H1/T1. But... If you are going to go magnification now, consider a ACOG with a chevron... best of both worlds in my experience and possibly lighter than a two optic solution.

jetspeedz
08-31-2011, 9:32 AM
Eotech here and couldn't be happier

Uriah02
08-31-2011, 9:49 AM

Marine standard issue is a ACOG (TA31RCO), at least that's what I see them with in my deployed location. However; marines I've talked to who regularly go into CQB situations do not use ACOGs, they use EOTECH with their SBRs.

JDW67
08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
To me, it's all about personal preference. I had both and the Aimpoint works best for me. I find that I shoot faster with the one dot then the ring of the Eotech. The circle with the dot in the Eotech had too much going on for my taste.

Oddly enough, it's the same when I play COD...:D

motorwerks
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
EOTech

this

someR1
08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
No one can tell you go look through both. It's aike asking should I get a Honda civic or acute integra. One is as good as the other but they are 2 differant cars.

using ricer's for analogy??? REALLY ???? :rolleyes: