PDA

View Full Version : volunteering

ct126x
07-01-2011, 1:25 PM
Does anyone here have any experience volunteering for a police agency? I want a career in law enforcement, but the hiring rate is not great right now. I am 22 years old, work full-time as a security officer and I think it would look good if I volunteer at a police agency. I contacted a local county and asked if I can join their volunteer program. The recruiter advised there will be an interview, followed by a 2-3 month background check. Any experience from both LEO and Non-LEO welcome.

Falconis
07-01-2011, 2:44 PM
it's actually a good idea if you have the time to spare. it'll give you a better idea of actual work and politics around the department.

jeep7081
07-01-2011, 8:27 PM
You can volunteer from a Code Enforcement Officer to Citizen Patrol. Ask your local city.

Jonathan Doe
07-01-2011, 9:11 PM
I heard that LASD may do a mass hiring starting July. But, it is a rumor for now.

Notorious
07-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Volunteering as what? There are many different types of jobs you can do as a volunteer. The local PD where I live has a volunteer translator program since they have a large migrant population and the PD always needs help. There are also community volunteers at the desk and neighborhood watch people. Find out what you are doing first.

ct126x
07-02-2011, 7:51 PM
Volunteering as what? There are many different types of jobs you can do as a volunteer. The local PD where I live has a volunteer translator program since they have a large migrant population and the PD always needs help. There are also community volunteers at the desk and neighborhood watch people. Find out what you are doing first.

Just little assignments such as checking vacation homes, making sure the doors and windows are secured. Report graffiti, suspicious activity, assist with traffic control, etc.

1911su16b870
07-02-2011, 8:01 PM
Sponsor yourself through a modular academy to get a POST certificate and then hire on as a reserve officer.

ct126x
07-02-2011, 8:04 PM
Sponsor yourself through a modular academy to get a POST certificate and then hire on as a reserve officer.

I plan on doing that in the future. But I don't think it will hurt to volunteer some of my spare time until I sponsor myself into an academy.

Notorious
07-03-2011, 1:27 PM
Sounds like a solid plan.