PDA

View Full Version : What's your AR "Brand" Pick and why ? ? ? ?

2fast4u
07-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I think I have come down to these 2 Rifle. Witch one would you pick and why? I think they are both nice set ups and are well made by good companies.

Let me know what you guys think is best and why?

Spikes

Midlength 16” Barrel rifle
Billet upper/lower upgrade Bio
Color Fill
Billet Charging handle upgrade
12” Spikes BAR rail/micro gas block upgrade
Nickel Boron BCG upgrade
16” Fluted Stainless Lothar Walther barrel
ENGRAVED DUST COVER
TROY/Spikes UPGRADE front and rear
Enhanced Lower Parts kit.
kit includes the ergo grip, the battle trigger set Nickel/boron, KNS anti rotation pins, billet trigger guard and ambi safety selector.
Vortex G6A2
Imod stock

Total $1765.00

Few Photos.

Spikes Bar Rail
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/12-inch-rail_lrg.jpg

Spikes Lower
http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Spikes_Tactical_Biohazard_EDW_7.5_inch_6.8_SPC_Tac tical_AR_SBR_2_small.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Spikes%20Tactical%20BioHazard%20Billet/recieversnbBCG01.jpg

Ok Rifle #2

LaRue PredatAR 5.56
PredatAR 5.56 Overview

The PredatAR 5.56 is designed for those who are searching for a lightweight, ultra-reliable and accurate 5.56 mm NATO rifle for home-defense, competition-shooting or hunting. The PredatAR takes the highly accurate OBR 5.56 “Lite” design, and lightens it in every possible way with the least possible impact to the accuracy that the standard OBR is known for. By contouring the barrel, skeletonizing the handguard, lowering and simplifying the upper rail, and using a low-profile gas block, we were able to reduce roughly 2 pounds from the standard OBR 5.56 rifle.

The barrels are LW-50 stainless steel, lightweight-profiled, Wylde chambered and feature polygonal rifling in a 1/8 twist rate. LW-50 Stainless has proven itself for over 15 years, in military and civilian uses ranging from sniper, tactical, target, and other high-performance applications where long life and accuracy are critical. All barrels are threaded in ½ x 28, with an A2 flash hider attached* (other muzzle devices can be added at an additional cost).

The handguards on the PredatAR extend out 14.75”, to suit a larger range of shooting styles. The zero-MOA upper rail provides plenty of room for weapon-mounted night-vision day/night combinations. Both the upper and lower are CNC-machined from billet 7075-T6, for the optimum fit and consistency. Even though we lightened certain features, there is still additional material in strategic areas to achieve maximum accuracy. Each rifle ships with one, 3” long, MIL-STD-1913 detachable rail section.

model come with a 6-position Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip in Magpul Olive Drab (OD). The Bolt Carriers are hand-polished hard-chrome with max-staked carrier keys, with Texas-Spec Bolt assemblies. The lower assembly has the proven Geissele Two-Stage trigger.

Cost $1499 Plus add Troy/LaRue sights $199. Total $1698

Would you get just Troy sights or the Troy Sights with LaRue Logo's ? ? ? ?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/PredatAR/ZZ256541.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LaRue_Tactical_OBR_5.56_PREDATAR_Series_Tactical_A R_Carbine_at_SHOT_Show_2011_1.jpg

tomd1584
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Larue.

kamagong
07-01-2011, 11:49 AM
LaRue.

Poppy83
07-01-2011, 12:05 PM
LaRue will probably get the most votes and they seem to be on a higher grade than Spike's, but I've never heard of any uncommon issues with either brand. I don't think you can go wrong. That Spike's bio upper/lower sure is sexy, though.

ElvenSoul
07-01-2011, 12:10 PM
The only part that really matters is the barrel and trigger.

OutlawDon
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Another vote for Larue. It's a higher tier.

glock_this
07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I'll take a good old affordable RRA or YHM all day long and be plenty happy. I've never been convinced that I get that much more - due to the name - from these supposed "top shelf" brands.

Droppin Deuces
07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
LaRue, but I wouldn't go for the PredatAR. All of these guns with handguards as long as the barrel look ridiculous. It's like putting a giant wing on the back of a Honda Civic.

keson
07-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Larue PredatARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

prerunners4life
07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a larue, awsome gun..

2fast4u
07-01-2011, 1:03 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.

If I go LaRue What color stock/grip should I go with the FDE or the UDE?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/LaRue_Tactical/ColorChips.jpg

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/LT708IndexClips/IndexClip_Colors.jpg

Should I just get Troy sights or go for the Troy/LaRue Logo Sights?

The only thing is if I go FDE the LaRue/Troy sights only come in Black or should I stay with black with what ever I get?

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/Troy/P3122415r.jpg

http://www.superiordefensesolutions.com/product_images/z/445/TRYSSIG-IAR-SMFT-00_1__56106_zoom.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LaRue_Tactical_OBR_5.56_PREDATAR_Series_Tactical_A R_Carbine_at_SHOT_Show_2011_4.jpg

Harley
07-01-2011, 1:04 PM
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/chaise27/2011-05-30_12-12-52_577.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/chaise27/2011-06-25_12-03-21_578-1.jpg

a1c
07-01-2011, 1:08 PM
Don't care about the color for two reasons:

- I don't do combat - if I were deployed or contracting somewhere in Iraq or Afghanistan, I might want something FDE or FG, but I only use the AR at the range and to shoot rabbits or coyotes.

- You can't use .22 (or 5.56, obviously) to hunt turkeys, which really are the only game you need camo for.

Now don't get me wrong - I like a pretty rifle. But for ARs, I go black.

As for brand, I haven't had the chance to thoroughly inspect the different models from various manufacturers. For accessories I'm a LaRue fan, but as far as complete builds I just want a solid lower, a good trigger and a nice barrel.

NYY
07-01-2011, 1:18 PM
http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LaRue_Tactical_OBR_5.56_PREDATAR_Series_Tactical_A R_Carbine_at_SHOT_Show_2011_1.jpg[/QUOTE]

spikes has "cool" looking logos and such, but LaRue IMO would be the better choice. BUT DAMN check out that fat can in the bottom of the picture :eek:

gun toting monkeyboy
07-01-2011, 1:29 PM
At that price point, I would go with the better name. That is all you are really paying for once you get to that level. May as well take the one that will have better resale value later. Personally I would go with something a bit cheaper, and use the savings towards optics. After a certain point, the rifle will outperform my abilities, so any added advantage I would get from the extra hundreds of dollars is wasted on me anyway.

VacaDuck
07-01-2011, 1:40 PM
LaRue, but I wouldn't go for the PredatAR. All of these guns with handguards as long as the barrel look ridiculous. It's like putting a giant wing on the back of a Honda Civic.

For precision work with iron sights, a longer sight radius is better.

IPSICK
07-01-2011, 1:46 PM
Although, I have had good experiences with Spike's, Larue is the hands down winner here. I'd probably go with the 5.56 OBR over the PredatAR, just because I don't like pencil barrels that much.

prerunners4life
07-01-2011, 1:52 PM
UDE!!

EvolutionGSR
07-01-2011, 1:58 PM
That ude looks good.

lrtraut
07-01-2011, 2:00 PM

I agree. Really, how much rail do you need for accessories? Only advantage I could see is a longer sight radius, but a 12" rail gives you plenty.

762.DEFENSE
07-01-2011, 2:01 PM
LaRue hands down.

Uriah02
07-01-2011, 2:06 PM
Another vote for Larue.

WW2Buff
07-01-2011, 2:07 PM
LaRue. Light and has the longer sight radius.

biloutkast
07-01-2011, 2:10 PM
x14 on Larue.

Noah3683
07-01-2011, 3:32 PM
Larue without a doubt.

CK_32
07-01-2011, 3:55 PM

And BCG but I agree

Ed_Hazard
07-01-2011, 3:59 PM
Bushmaster...

It was the only readily available brand before the ban.( could'nt really get Oly Arms, or DPMS to easily)

Oh how nice it is not to be neutered at 10rds and be able to drop and swap beta mags with your finger, no tool required.:43:

The Virus
07-01-2011, 4:26 PM
LMT, no questions

Vinrx7
07-02-2011, 1:26 AM

Thank god! Somebody said it. All this time I thought I was the only one that felt that way about those handguards. Sorry but it looks cheesy. Nice firearm but that not like that.

Rebellious
07-02-2011, 3:25 AM
Thank god! Somebody said it. All this time I thought I was the only one that felt that way about those handguards. Sorry but it looks cheesy. Nice firearm but that not like that.

^ Agreed. Great for the extra sight radius but not for me. If it's between Spikes and LaRue I would get the LaRue. More importantly how did you narrow it between LaRue and Spikes and not LaRue and Noveske or JP?

locosway
07-02-2011, 4:05 AM
LaRue makes the better rifle of the two, but I like the lighter LMT or Noveske RECCE rifles.

metalliman545
07-02-2011, 5:24 AM
Doesn't matter what we pick its not like were actually buying the items.

The War Wagon
07-02-2011, 6:07 AM
Of THOSE two? LaRue.

Were it me, I'd go with a >$1k BCM, and put the change into an Aimpoint M4 or T1, and either pre-ban mags or ammo.

SAME capability, $700-800 in SAVINGS for more pressing needs. "Logo'd BUIS" accomplish nothing.

glock7
07-02-2011, 7:05 AM
Of THOSE two? LaRue.

Were it me, I'd go with a >$1k BCM, and put the change into an Aimpoint M4 or T1, and either pre-ban mags or ammo.

SAME capability, $700-800 in SAVINGS for more pressing needs. "Logo'd BUIS" accomplish nothing.

^the voice of reason, i bought my bcm and did exactly that, bought the other necessities. myself, i like cleaner, less cluttered look on my ar's. that being said i'm thinking of doing a noveske k.i.s.s. ebr....heh heh

Bobby Hated
07-02-2011, 8:10 AM
larue.

get the long handguard. makes for better iron sights shooting.

for buis i prefer the M4 style front that troy makes. but i tink te troy and larue rear sights are identical from what i can tell.

i would go fde. easier to find matching color parts, mags, etc.

ilkhan
07-02-2011, 9:21 AM
Some people just plain think the longer handguards look better. They don't weigh much, give you more versatility as to where you can put a light or forward grip, and if nothing else let you hold the rifle at a point farther forward than the hot barrel.

LNTT
07-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Out of the two, Larue gets a vote from me. But personally, I got a BCM for the lower price point but still great quality.

NotEnufGarage
07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
The biggest difference between the two is the barrel twist rate. The Spikes is a 1 in 7" twist, which is going to limit you to 69 to 90 grain bullets. 55 to 62 will work, but be less than optimal or accurate. Anything under 55 probably won't even stabilize and you might even rip the jacket off them from overspinning them.

The Larue, with a 1 in 8" twist will be good at 62 to 77 grain and okay down to 55 grain and up to 87 grain.

You didn't really say how you plan to use the rifle, so hard to judge your needs.

If you're going for tacticool, base your decision on color.

If you're going for match shooting, go black and leave the rails behind.

If you're going to use it for hunting, depends on what you're hunting.

shtr45acp
07-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Bushmaster/Colt/Mil suppliers. Sure, there are lots of pretty AR's out there, and if one wants to spend 2-3+K, there's lotsa "lookers" out there. It seems that the ones with the prettiest dresses get the most comment, and are sought after more for the excess wigets and gizmo's that can be attached than functionability or practibility. One cant cover all the bases, and when you are lugging a heavy rifle out and about, all those pretty little bobbles we add on to impress out buddies become cumbersome fishing weights. Unless one has spent considerable time either on the beach with one or out hunting remote areas or in a machine shop, it's easy to criticise. Anyone with simple mechanical knowlege can build an AR, but to make one is different. Any fella with the $ can buy aftermarket goodies and install them to make himself feel "cool" and try to impress all his buds. Overkill with add-ons increases weight. Try lugging around one of the fancy AR schutzenboomers with all the goodies. You'll wish for an M4 with a short bbl and light optics before you hit the 7 mile marker.

blazeaglory
07-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Bushmaster/Colt/Mil suppliers. Sure, there are lots of pretty AR's out there, and if one wants to spend 2-3+K, there's lotsa "lookers" out there. It seems that the ones with the prettiest dresses get the most comment, and are sought after more for the excess wigets and gizmo's that can be attached than functionability or practibility. One cant cover all the bases, and when you are lugging a heavy rifle out and about, all those pretty little bobbles we add on to impress out buddies become cumbersome fishing weights. Unless one has spent considerable time either on the beach with one or out hunting remote areas or in a machine shop, it's easy to criticise. Anyone with simple mechanical knowlege can build an AR, but to make one is different. Any fella with the $ can buy aftermarket goodies and install them to make himself feel "cool" and try to impress all his buds. Overkill with add-ons increases weight. Try lugging around one of the fancy AR schutzenboomers with all the goodies. You'll wish for an M4 with a short bbl and light optics before you hit the 7 mile marker.

AMEN!!

i could hear glory glory hallelujah playing in the background..

i could put together a name brand AR for under $1000 without all the ****s and giggles. for anything over that price, it would have to be something special (.308 or better)

2fast4u
07-02-2011, 6:32 PM
I think for $1499 for the Larue you get alot. Plus $200 for the sights. I did look at the New Noveske Thunder Ranch it dose look nice. But at $2195 it dose not seem any nicer then the Larue.

The Larue seems to be nice and light as well.

jokat989
07-02-2011, 7:59 PM
cmmg- because thats what my local gun store caries, and i didnt want to wait 5 years for mail order ar 15 parts

Knife Edge
07-02-2011, 8:06 PM
Larue!!!

T-800
07-02-2011, 8:48 PM

Exactly.

BajaJames83
07-02-2011, 8:50 PM
stag!
cheap and works just like the rest....

VytamenC Tactical
07-02-2011, 8:52 PM
The only part that really matters is the barrel and trigger.

+1 could not have been put any better

locosway
07-02-2011, 8:58 PM
A $1k AR may get you down the road like a Camaro, but one of the specialty AR makers has a better fit and finish much like a high end luxury car. So, they may both get you to work, store, movies, etc. But one is clearly the nicer ride.

Shenaniguns
07-02-2011, 9:07 PM

Except that it is functional :rolleyes:

Looks better then the Colt M4 look with a short handguard that isn't long enough to extend my support arm out.

Shenaniguns
07-02-2011, 9:13 PM
The biggest difference between the two is the barrel twist rate. The Spikes is a 1 in 7" twist, which is going to limit you to 69 to 90 grain bullets. 55 to 62 will work, but be less than optimal or accurate. Anything under 55 probably won't even stabilize and you might even rip the jacket off them from overspinning them.

The Larue, with a 1 in 8" twist will be good at 62 to 77 grain and okay down to 55 grain and up to 87 grain.

You didn't really say how you plan to use the rifle, so hard to judge your needs.

If you're going for tacticool, base your decision on color.

If you're going for match shooting, go black and leave the rails behind.

If you're going to use it for hunting, depends on what you're hunting.

1/7 twist works fantastically down to 50gr IMO And from tons of ammo tests out there.

patriot_man
07-02-2011, 9:48 PM
If I buy a complete AR it's usually going to be an LMT. Uppers of my choice are LMT and Colt. Carbine gas system, Chrome lined barrels, 1:7 twist are my preferences. Also a preference for me to buy from companies holding .mil contacts.

docsmileyface
07-02-2011, 10:45 PM
patriot man, based on your choice in gear that you are selling and your choice in AR brands, I would say you've got really good taste.

locosway
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
patriot man, based on your choice in gear that you are selling and your choice in AR brands, I would say you've got really good taste.

I would have agreed, but a carbine gas system is just meh. Give me a mid length, unless we're talking about a SBR.

docsmileyface
07-02-2011, 11:24 PM
but you've got a carbine length in your avatar :eek:

locosway
07-02-2011, 11:26 PM
but you've got a carbine length in your avatar :eek:

Yep... My first AR, and the next one will be a mid, which is already in the planning stages. I'm debating on a Noveske, building my own, or going all out for a KAC or something.

Shenaniguns
07-03-2011, 6:08 AM
Yep... My first AR, and the next one will be a mid, which is already in the planning stages. I'm debating on a Noveske, building my own, or going all out for a KAC or something.

Here's a nice lightweight setup similar to what I have with a DD upper:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sc-moe&cat=152&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I'd see if they sold the upper alone though.

SanPedroShooter
07-03-2011, 6:22 AM
I just got a 14.5 LMT Carbine and I am already thinking about getting a BCM 14.5 midlength...

I almost got a BCM in the first place, I went back and forth like a manic for days, finally I went with the closest I could get to an issue carbine and figured I would decide what I like and dont like and go from there.

I will also say that picking a company on name alone is damn silly. Dont worry about the "brand". Figure out what features that all AR15 pattern rifles should have and what kind of shooting you are going to do, and buy accordingly.

locosway
07-03-2011, 7:18 AM
Here's a nice lightweight setup similar to what I have with a DD upper:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sc-moe&cat=152&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I'd see if they sold the upper alone though.

I'd go 16"

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1077-noveske-n4-light-recce-16-midlength-moe-rifle.aspx

Shenaniguns
07-03-2011, 8:11 AM
I'd go 16"

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1077-noveske-n4-light-recce-16-midlength-moe-rifle.aspx

I had a Lo-Pro 16" Recce and it was very accurate but much heavier.

the big ravioli
07-03-2011, 8:24 AM
LaRue - A much better choice!

evidens83
07-03-2011, 3:05 PM
Logo'd BUIS or not? WTF who cares lol....

Honestly, I'd rather go for a Daniel Defense or LMT complete AR and save the money for an optic of some sorts..

CK_32
07-03-2011, 3:19 PM
BCM because they are super awesome!!

evidens83
07-03-2011, 3:25 PM
BCM because they are super awesome!!

Yessir :iagree:

xxINKxx
07-03-2011, 3:45 PM
Dont really care much for larue due to the owner being anti CA and admitting not doing business with other companies out of state who were willing to ship his lowers to ca. Left a bad taste. Lots of other brands that are way cheaper that will handle more stress then most of us will put the gun through

glock7
07-03-2011, 4:01 PM
Bcm yes...if they're in stock

glock7
07-03-2011, 4:09 PM
Having shot a few different AR makes, Idk, they seem the same. Brand names? Meh? Like real life you pay more for brand names, functions the same. But if you build it using quality parts there in lies the answer.

locosway
07-03-2011, 5:43 PM
Dont really care much for larue due to the owner being anti CA and admitting not doing business with other companies out of state who were willing to ship his lowers to ca. Left a bad taste. Lots of other brands that are way cheaper that will handle more stress then most of us will put the gun through

You should go educate yourself on what LaRue does, since your opinion is quite far off base.

a1fabweld
07-03-2011, 5:52 PM
Dont really care much for larue due to the owner being anti CA and admitting not doing business with other companies out of state who were willing to ship his lowers to ca. Left a bad taste.
I agree. I don't care how much money he donated to try to make people forget the trash he talked about CA & it's shooters, I'll never buy anything labeled Larue.

On another note, BCM, Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense, CMMG & a few others get my money.

luckygunner
07-03-2011, 6:31 PM
Of the two the OP asked about the LaRue would be my choice. Although the Spikes does look pretty nice.

I don't personnaly like the long hand guards but whatever your preference is.

Sunday
07-03-2011, 6:40 PM
BCM, with out all the gun shop commando Tacticool parts that screams range toy. Can anybody prove to me there is any better for the price?

Sunday
07-03-2011, 6:43 PM
I just got a 14.5 LMT Carbine and I am already thinking about getting a BCM 14.5 midlength...

I almost got a BCM in the first place, I went back and forth like a manic for days, finally I went with the closest I could get to an issue carbine and figured I would decide what I like and dont like and go from there.

I will also say that picking a company on name alone is damn silly. Dont worry about the "brand". Figure out what features that all AR15 pattern rifles should have and what kind of shooting you are going to do, and buy accordingly.

The problem with a 14.5 barrel is that it has to be 16 inches so why not get the longer barrel as the 5.56 effective range is short as is

bighead
07-03-2011, 10:17 PM
For all the Larue voters, I have a question for you guys.What are the factual differences that make it superior to the spikes rifle?

CK_32
07-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Bcm yes...if they're in stock

Lol that is the only down side of BCM.

kemikalembalance
07-04-2011, 2:57 AM
im with the guy up there. ^ i put a white oak in a bravo company upper with a cmmg lower and shot .25 to 1.5 @ 100 (i know i suck). then changedout for the larue upper/lower. still shoots the same. i swear by mark's optic mounts, but the lower and upper are just for looks. and it does look bada**! feels good too. minus the optic, mine was under 1100 to build including an adams system. and im regretting the weight already.

bottom line for your ? i vote larue

SanPedroShooter
07-04-2011, 6:06 AM
The problem with a 14.5 barrel is that it has to be 16 inches so why not get the longer barrel as the 5.56 effective range is short as is

I may be alone here, but I could feel the difference in handling between the 16 and 14.5. I can put the handguard flat on my palm and balance the whole gun with one hand. For type of shooting and training I do, I wanted the shortest barrel I could get in California.

I also think that if velocity was an issue, the Military would have gone with a 16 too. I know there are a few mil 16's, but in general, 16 is an completely arbritrary number pulled out of the feds *** back during the depression.

Plus the 16 wont take a bayonet (I am a C&R shooter and thats important to me) and the 14.5 looks cooler ;)

locosway
07-04-2011, 9:32 AM
I may be alone here, but I could feel the difference in handling between the 16 and 14.5. I can put the handguard flat on my palm and balance the whole gun with one hand. For type of shooting and training I do, I wanted the shortest barrel I could get in California.

I also think that if velocity was an issue, the Military would have gone with a 16 too. I know there are a few mil 16's, but in general, 16 is an completely arbritrary number pulled out of the feds *** back during the depression.

Plus the 16 wont take a bayonet (I am a C&R shooter and thats important to me) and the 14.5 looks cooler ;)

And where did Colt come up with the 14.5" barrel?

Any do most M4's have issues with timing?

and then you have the issue of the reduced power, and the reason why the .308 was being considered again and why it was brought back for certain engagements.

I guess if you're collecting for a specific purpose, that's cool. For me though a 16" or even 18" makes far more sense, especially with a mid length gas system.

a1fabweld
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
+1. With the 5.56's terminal effectiveness being based on velocity, I woun't go shorter than 16". In fact I've been adding some 18" & 20"ers to my inventory. Plus a welded on muzzle device limits your ability to change configuration easily.

NHP1127
07-04-2011, 12:41 PM
BCM, with out all the gun shop commando Tacticool parts that screams range toy. Can anybody prove to me there is any better for the price?

Yup...Palmetto State Armory and Spikes (or is it Stag's) "plus" option. All the same specs available. Probably others now aswell. My preference, Colt then LMT.

komifornian
07-04-2011, 3:15 PM
I'm partial to JP - I'm not going to go into all the details other than to say that they just make a superb custom AR. The workmanship is impecable!
http://i54.tinypic.com/2vrsy6r.jpg

SanPedroShooter
07-04-2011, 5:54 PM
The 14.5 felt better in my hands (the most important point, imo). I am not particulary concerned with the slight loss in volocity. I got a short carbine to train and shoot at short distances.

As far as the timing, I made a few changes. I got a blue sprinco, a heavier buffer and extractor spring upgrade kit. I let you know if I have any issues with FTF, FTE. But it seems like making these few upgrades is worth it. If I was actually going to fight at distances with my rifle, I'd grab a .308 anyway.

I know that when Colt bought Armalite's patent is 1959 they started messing around with different configurations. I believe their first cutdown version had a 15' barrel, I understand they did make with a prototype 16' barrel too. I think the 14.5 didnt come out untill after Vietnam. I know the israelies used them.

locosway
07-04-2011, 5:59 PM
The 14.5 felt better in my hands (the most important point, imo). I am not particulary concerned with the slight loss in volocity. I got a short carbine to train and shoot at short distances.

As far as the timing, I made a few changes. I got a blue sprinco, a heavier buffer and extractor spring upgrade kit. I let you know if I have any issues with FTF, FTE. But it seems like making these few upgrades is worth it. If I was actually going to fight at distances with my rifle, I'd grab a .308 anyway.

You ever carry around a .308 like a HK 91, FAL, or M14? Plus ammo?

I'll take an M4/AR any day for most encounters.

SanPedroShooter
07-04-2011, 6:10 PM
Thats a good point. I am sorry to get off topic here, but for most encounters you (by you, I mean us, Citizen shooters) would be likely to find, do think the loss of velocity between the 16 and 14 would make a difference?

locosway
07-04-2011, 6:16 PM
Thats a good point. I am sorry to get off topic here, but for most encounters you (by you, I mean us, Citizen shooters) would be likely to find, do think the loss of velocity between the 16 and 14 would make a difference?

Some people run +p rounds in their pistols, and worry about 9mm vs. .40 vs. 45. So, I guess to some people the velocity difference would matter. It would only matter to me if I needed that added velocity, which is hard to guess when that may be. I'll stick to my 16" and maybe an 18" later down the road.

supersonic
07-04-2011, 7:26 PM

Oh no, HERE we go.:rolleyes:

Except that it is functional :rolleyes:

Looks better then the Colt M4 look with a short handguard that isn't long enough to extend my support arm out.

You mean the "Magpul Post-2003-Operator Grip?" We've been fine without it for many moons. Ever notice how your support arm gets tired 10x faster then when using a conventional grip? (there's a reason for the fact that the "extended offhand" is used only in carbine courses & in competition, not in real-world gunfights);)

Shenaniguns
07-04-2011, 7:50 PM

You mean the "Magpul Post-2003-Operator Grip?" We've been fine without it for many moons. Ever notice how your support arm gets tired 10x faster then when using a conventional grip? (there's a reason for the fact that the "extended offhand" is used only in carbine courses & in competition, not in real-world gunfights);)

Oh really now, do you have proof that it is not used in real world gunfights? With your type of thinking, we should all shoot from the hip like in the old cowboy era. Things change, styles evolve and I never said anything negative towards other shooting styles of carbines, but in my experience it makes more sense to extend your arm out as it allows more control then holding it closer to the magwell. It's hard to argue against leverage.

BEE
07-04-2011, 8:37 PM
JD Machine Tech for me since I like to support my local guys.

locosway
07-04-2011, 9:14 PM

LaRue has a better fit and finish than many rifles.

What's an Operator Grip?

fullspeed1
07-04-2011, 10:07 PM
BCM 14.5 Middy forged barrel upper with a BC1.5 and IonBond bcg and H buffer installed, Stag lower. MagPul MOE furniture and Aimpoint T1 with a Larue mount. Perfect balance, Solid feel, and Recoils like a .22lr.

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr250/fullspeed1/MarksiPhone001.jpg

patriot_man
07-05-2011, 4:04 AM

I like to buy stuff that won't fail on me, but of course it has to be checked for port erosion more than a mid length would. :D

Saw your Beyond PCU L5 and SU-230A/PVS sale thread. I think we have similar taste AND we both have BAE RBAV's... well Specialty Defense System contract over run but still almost the same. :p

07-05-2011, 5:18 AM
What's an Operator Grip?

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac284/451040/a58q.jpg

patriot_man
07-05-2011, 5:39 AM
Tried getting into that magpul grip but in the end I'm back to my old broom handle grip. :rolleyes:

NorCalK9.com
07-05-2011, 10:53 AM
AK74 for me lol if I was gonna go back to AR platform itd have to be complete rra I never had an issue with them. DD was a good one too.

supersonic
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
What's an Operator Grip?

It's a "new" "tacticool" way to hold the AR-15. See, before, oh...2004 or so, nobody was holding their rifles correctly. Now, thanks to the Magpul videos/classes & other tacticool "operators" seen all over Youtube and in magazines, we have found the "right way" even though the new "method" fatigues your offhand/arm severely & quickly compared to a more conventional (read: natural) approach.

FFO! (Fanboy Flamesuit ON!):p

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac284/451040/a58q.jpg

**All in good fun, I kid. If this way works for you, then go for it by all means!

Shenaniguns
07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
It's a "new" "tacticool" way to hold the AR-15. See, before, oh...2004 or so, nobody was holding their rifles correctly. Now, thanks to the Magpul videos/classes & other tacticool "operators" seen all over Youtube and in magazines, we have found the "right way" even though the new "method" fatigues your offhand/arm severely & quickly compared to a more conventional (read: natural) approach.

FFO! (Fanboy Flamesuit ON!):p

**All in good fun, I kid. If this way works for you, then go for it by all means!

Oh show us the way weapons master, I'm sure you have more experience then the Magpul Instructors, Vickers, Pat Rogers, Hilton Yam, Lamb etc...

locosway
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't have full rotation in my left forearm, so a vfg or afg work much better for me. I dont like the look of the vfg, and the afg does the same thing, so I run an afg on my rifle.

supersonic
07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Oh show us the way weapons master, I'm sure you have more experience then the Magpul Instructors, Vickers, Pat Rogers, Hilton Yam, Lamb etc...

And, FanBoiy #1 is the first to show!! I could have predicted it!!:p (In LESS than FIVE minutes, even!)

(take another look-see at the bottom of my post that upset you so much - it was a joke.)

Shenaniguns
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
And, FB #1 is the first to show!! I could have predicted it!!:p (In LESS than FIVE minutes, even!)

(take another look-see at the bottom of my post that upset you so much - I'm a joke.)

I'm glad we agree :cool2:

xxINKxx
07-06-2011, 1:08 PM
You should go educate yourself on what LaRue does, since your opinion is quite far off base.

Lol i do? Everything i said was posted clear as day and on forums and out in the open by Mark saying he didnt want his products in Ca for a long time. Thats all i was talking about when i said it left a bad taste in my mouth from the crap hed say about us for such a long time in the past.

I followed the whole fiasco and know about the 12k donation to calguns and that he finally sends us rifles. Good for him!!! But still makes me not care about them from what was said and done...im not trying to start a debate, just dint say i need education. Kthxbai

:)

supersonic
07-06-2011, 5:35 PM
I'm glad we agree :cool2:

That's real clever, altering someone's post (12:47 p.m.) & quoting it in an attempt to make them look bad. You've sunk to a new low. Really bad form. But nice try, I guess, if that's the only way you see fit to get your frustrations out!.:p

Lol i do? Everything i said was posted clear as day and on forums and out in the open by Mark saying he didnt want his products in Ca for a long time. Thats all i was talking about when i said it left a bad taste in my mouth from the crap hed say about us for such a long time in the past.

I followed the whole fiasco and know about the 12k donation to calguns and that he finally sends us rifles. Good for him!!! But still makes me not care about them from what was said and done...im not trying to start a debate, just dint say i need education. Kthxbai

:)

Does LaRue ship complete rifles (& lowers?) to CA now???

locosway
07-06-2011, 6:12 PM
Yes, larue ships to CA now

darqhelmet
07-06-2011, 7:00 PM
What ever stripped lower Riflegear has on sale for 99.00 bucks. Right now I have 2 JD's built one has a stag 3H and the other has a stag 6H. I have a spikes just sitting in the safe. Both work great.

supersonic
07-06-2011, 7:04 PM
Yes, larue ships to CA now

It's about time. Kudos to ML for (finally) understanding the laws of this state, even if it was many YEARS after all the other manufacturers figured it out. If the LT lowers are available, I know what my next rifle project is going to be.

randybill
07-08-2011, 9:54 AM
i went with larue predatar 5.56. order yours soon, they have a 8 week backlog. i have just 6 weeks left.

this link to arfcom. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=539872

it's my own thread that i started to help me decide what rifle to go with.

i have owned a DPMS and RRA. sold them both once i learned there was nicer (as in non-commercial) stuff out there. both weapons fed and went bang every time but i had to use that rubber insert to keep the upper and lowers from rocking...

trinydex
07-08-2011, 2:19 PM
I think for $1499 for the Larue you get alot. Plus $200 for the sights. I did look at the New Noveske Thunder Ranch it dose look nice. But at $2195 it dose not seem any nicer then the Larue.

The Larue seems to be nice and light as well.

anyone know the apples to apples weight for the larue predatar vs. noveske thunder ranch?

chicoredneck
07-08-2011, 2:45 PM
Dedicated Technologies....

Mike builds AR15's available in alternate calibers suitable for hunting at extended range to your specific needs and builds a high quality product at an unbeatable price. The wssm's and AR's just go together so well when it comes to hunting, especially for the long rang hunter. That mix of long range capability, fast multi-shots for close range work/brush, high end accuracy, and top notch quality equals unbeatable versatility.

.... plus I may have some vested interest :)

In my experience the vast majority of brands are very good, although some I feel are over priced.

supersonic
07-08-2011, 5:12 PM
In my experience the vast majority of brands are very good, although some I feel are over priced.

Probably the most realistic post about the quality of AR-15's I've EVER seen on Calguns. Very smart. :thumbsup: