PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Safes

Tunis
12-29-2006, 5:11 AM
Anyone have any experience with Liberty Safes? Any problems? Not that there would be any since they're made in the USA. I've found out that some of the other safe manufacturers claim their safes are made in the USA, but not their entire line, or certain parts are imported and assembled here. Liberty safes are priced fairly high, but I strongly believe in "you get what you pay for". I just wanted to get some feedback from any of you Liberty Safe owners. I'm going over to Liberty Safes in San Jose today to check them out in person and hopefully pick one up! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

NextTimeAround
12-29-2006, 8:00 AM
I was going to check them out today too.

somekevinguy
12-29-2006, 9:16 AM
Liberty safes are one of the biggest brand names. Some of their cheaper safes are not made in the USA either by the way.

icormba
12-29-2006, 9:42 AM
I went with a Liberty mainly because they are only about 5 miles from me and they had a nice selection in the showroom. I bought it about 2 years ago and I'm happy with it.

I got the 840lb Franklin model... it's gone up in price by about $400 since I got mine! :eek:

The guys here on the forums told me... "look at the safes and decide what size you think you will need and DOUBLE it!"

p.s. I should have gotten a bigger safe!! ;)

bwiese
12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
The guys here on the forums told me... "look at the safes and decide what size you think you will need and DOUBLE it!"

p.s. I should have gotten a bigger safe!! ;)

Roger that.

maxicon
12-29-2006, 3:26 PM
I got the 840lb Franklin model... it's gone up in price by about $400 since I got mine!

I also got a Liberty Franklin - the extra-tall one, at a clearance sale - and it's been great. Fast, professional installation, no problems.

I need more space now, but the Franklin's so big that I figure a second safe is a better bet.

creampuff
12-29-2006, 3:39 PM
I purchased a Liberty from San Jose several years ago; I am happy with the purchase. Plus the safe movers said something that stuck in my mind even now, "Where do you want us to put Bertha?". I always think Bertha, when I see the safe. The movers that San Jose Liberty contracts out with did a great job bolting everything into the concrete slab, and for a very reasonable price.

On thing I should mention, the more I have read up on safes in the past year, I realize even though I thought my 800lb safe is a "safe", it probably only qualitfies as a RSC (residential security container). The real safes, are much more expensive and much more heavy than the Liberty brands. It is sobering to think how easily a criminal can attack the weaker side walls of these RSC with common tools and access what is inside.

If you have an account with www.highroad.org, do a search on RSC or residential security container. There are a couple of guys who know their safes over there.

50ae
12-29-2006, 4:09 PM
I've had mine for about 10 years and 4 moves and love it except for when I have to move it. I'm not sure of the model but it is dark green and weighs 635# empty.

Tunis
12-30-2006, 7:27 AM
Well...after talking with Alan Hills, great guy btw, I decided on the Centurion line. I know they're imported, but Alan reassured me that they're just as reliable as the ones made here which also includes the same exact warranty. He mentioned that all they do overseas is make these safes and they're exact replicas of the Liberty safes made here. All safe companies have to market an affordable line of safes and by importing, they're able to do that. It costs more to add a third shift to run manufacturing round the clock in order to build enough safes to meet the demand of the US market, so they import in order to keep prices down. I ended up with the Centurion 17 in textured granite which cost me $699 + tax. I don't have the room for a huge safe and besides, there's no way I can get a huge safe upstairs due to the stairway configuration. I also have an alarm system in my house, so a theif wouldn't have anytime to work at getting into the safe. Alan and I were able to lift this 420lb safe into my lifted truck, so I saved on delivery and installation. Also, they now carry American Security because Liberty doesn't manufacture a line of upright long gun safes for those looking for smaller dimensioned storage and security. I highly recommend Alan Hills at Liberty Safes of San Jose! :D

Satex
12-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Liberty safes are *great*, but they can be opened with a crow bar...
They do however look very pretty on the inside!
Liberty has one of the poorest door construction in the industry. What they call a "hybrid door" is nothing by sheet metal wrapped around sheet rock. When you go to the dealer, try to flex the door - you will be surprised at how soft it is.
And BTW, high school lockers also qualify as RSC!

50ae
12-31-2006, 1:35 PM
Well, mine is steel. I did buy it in 96 though, before that new door style came out.

pksman
01-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Bought mine about 3 years ago. I dont think superman could flex my door.

OldLandParkPat
01-01-2007, 1:23 PM
I have the very safe you just bought and I have to say the above comment is pure bunk. No way you're gonna open this baby with a crow bar. He must be thinking of another model cause my Centurion is certainly NOT flexible sheet metal, and it's heavy- SOLID AS A ROCK.

You will like the safe.

Don't want to make you choke, but I got that safe last year traveling on THanks Giving Day through Oregon at a "Big R" 2 hour sale for $399.00 OTD. THAT was a steel.. :eek:

CA SHOOTER
01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I have a Liberty Colonial Series and it seems pretty damn secure to me .

shooterx10
01-02-2007, 3:34 PM
I highly recommend Alan Hills at Liberty Safes of San Jose! :D

+1 to that! I got my Colonial before the price went up several years ago due to the high demand for steel and Alan was quite helpful. Also, if I move within the state, they'll move the safe for me for a small fee if I'm not too far from my old location.

Inside the door of the safe, it has the UL tag and it does say Residential Security Container. However, if you want a REAL safe, be prepared to pay in the thousands for one such as the one from Sun Welding. I've seen them at local gun shows and you can HEAR AND FEEL the bolts retract back into the door when you open one. They are BIG AND HEAVY! If you move, you'll probably end up paying a lot for a safe mover to come and haul it for you and reinstall it at your new location.

just4fun63
01-02-2007, 8:57 PM
very good product. I had some rust problems on the bottom of the safe and they gave me a NEW one. no questions asked. They picked up the old one when they brought the replacement. One thing though if you have a problem call the factory, they solved the issue, the local store did not even try they are just salesmen.

On the size thing go 3x bigger than you need :D