PDA

View Full Version : How is hunting in Oregon compared to Cali?

anotherone
12-29-2006, 2:20 AM
It's late and I've been researching Oregon. My wife and I are planning on moving there because California is getting too costly and is not where we want to raise children. How is hunting in Oregon compared to California? The best answer I've been able to muster so far was from an old-time hunting buddy who simply said, "The further north you go the better it gets!". Of course this guy has hunted in Alaska... it's hard to beat Alaska for fantastic hunting of all kinds.

gunluvver
12-29-2006, 6:27 AM
90% of the population lives on 10% of the land, so there's lots of open space. Lots of deer, elk, and small game. You can also use your pistol gripped, removable mag, evil featured to the max AR15 in .223/5.56 to hunt deer (with a 5 rd. mag, of course)! Of course, with all you Kalifornicators moving up here, you're making it more expensive to live here. STAY HOME! ;)

theseacow
12-29-2006, 9:35 AM

pieeater
12-29-2006, 3:37 PM
90% of the population lives on 10% of the land, so there's lots of open space. Lots of deer, elk, and small game. You can also use your pistol gripped, removable mag, evil featured to the max AR15 in .223/5.56 to hunt deer (with a 5 rd. mag, of course)! Of course, with all you Kalifornicators moving up here, you're making it more expensive to live here. STAY HOME! ;)

"You can also use your pistol gripped, removable mag, evil featured to the max AR15 in .223/5.56 to hunt deer (with a 5 rd. mag, of course)!"

You can do the same here and use a 20 or 30 rd mag.

anotherone
12-29-2006, 3:50 PM
"You can also use your pistol gripped, removable mag, evil featured to the max AR15 in .223/5.56 to hunt deer (with a 5 rd. mag, of course)!"

You can do the same here and use a 20 or 30 rd mag.

Why would I want to use such a small round to hunt deer? I always use at least a 180 grain .30-06 from a MOA bolt rifle to take deer. True, if you were the world's most amazing shot you could hit the heart or brain and drop the deer with a .22 LR. However, rarely does a deer just walk right up and give you all the time in the world to make a perfect shot. That's why I'm a firm believer in using larger bore guns that will drop big game. Even if it doesn't kill them on the first shot it will drop them and give you time for follow-up shots to finish them off.

For this exact same reason I only ever use BB and BBB on ducks so they are dropped when even one pellet hits them. And rarely are they crippled either, they're either dead when they hit the water or critically wounded to the point they can't attempt an escape.

pieeater
12-29-2006, 4:59 PM
Why would I want to use such a small round to hunt deer? I always use at least a 180 grain .30-06 from a MOA bolt rifle to take deer. True, if you were the world's most amazing shot you could hit the heart or brain and drop the deer with a .22 LR. However, rarely does a deer just walk right up and give you all the time in the world to make a perfect shot. That's why I'm a firm believer in using larger bore guns that will drop big game. Even if it doesn't kill them on the first shot it will drop them and give you time for follow-up shots to finish them off.

For this exact same reason I only ever use BB and BBB on ducks so they are dropped when even one pellet hits them. And rarely are they crippled either, they're either dead when they hit the water or critically wounded to the point they can't attempt an escape.

Your preachin to the choir I hunt blacktails with a 300 WBY. Im just saying its legal to do so here. Most states have a 5 rd limit on mags for hunting.

gunluvver
12-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I'll be using my pistol gripped, removable magged, sniper scoped, evil featured to the max Yugo M90 AK in .308 (with a 5 rd. mag, of course) next time I go hunting. I used to take my FAL when I lived in WA, but it's heavy!

JAFGO
12-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Depends what parts of CA you are talking about.

In the upper quarter of CA game is abundant. I could literally take a record class black bear in my backyard if I was a thug and had a mind to. I prefer to take pictures though - nothing against responsible hunters. Northern CA and southern OR is a toss up as far as hunting goes. It ain't nothing like the bottom 2/3s of CA when opening day sounds like the first scenes of Saving Private Ryan.

Some folks call the area I'm talking about the mythical State of Jefferson.

cornholio1
12-30-2006, 9:31 PM
I'll be using my pistol gripped, removable magged, sniper scoped, evil featured to the max Yugo M90 AK in .308 (with a 5 rd. mag, of course) next time I go hunting. I used to take my FAL when I lived in WA, but it's heavy!

+1...I don't like hauling the FAL while hiking/hunting. I carry an AR not chambered for 556