PDA

View Full Version : Police 870's typically blued or parkerized?

t001
12-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi there, would a 870 Police Magnum in actual law enforcement use typically be blued or parkerized? I see both models listed in the Remington LE catalog. Any real world references based on CA agencies? Thanks.

Sutcliffe
12-29-2006, 4:43 AM
He's been to a tactical shotgun course a few times where he's been authorized a slug gun with sights to carry. Sometimes he brings it along on campouts along with whatever ammo he can get from the rangemaster. The 870 he uses is parkerized. Most of the ones I've seen are parkerized.

MadMex
12-29-2006, 5:52 AM
It comes in both flavors:

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870.htm

Black_Talon
12-29-2006, 3:59 PM
Parkerizing resists rust/corrosion better than bluing, and wears better too. If the gun is going to see any sort of hard use I'd go with park, otherwise, go with what looks best to you.

rorschach
12-30-2006, 6:47 PM
Most of the CHP shotguns are parked, black synthetic stocked, 18.5"bbl, 4+1 shot, loaded with 4 rounds Winchester Ranger 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck, and 5 more on the Tex Shoemaker leather shellholder wrapped around the stock.

I recently saw an LAPD 870 that was parked albeit with wooden stocks. They also have a few parked Ithacas still floating around as well, as do LA County Sheriffs.

t001
01-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks all. It's always interesting to see what the LEO's in the state are using. The discussions in this regard tend to be limited to sidearms mostly.

Speaking of which: What model of carbine is that in the CHP cruisers, right next to the shotty? Looks like a M4 barrel profile. Maybe a Colt LE6920 or 6921 (the 14" equivalent)? I'd like to get a closer look, but the officer, coming back from lunch, might be a little apprehensive about someone pressing his nose against the cruiser's window checking out his weaponry. :p

voodoo
01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
The only ones I've ever seen have been parked, though my FFL tells me he's seen them blued.

rorschach
01-03-2007, 1:19 PM
Speaking of which: What model of carbine is that in the CHP cruisers, right next to the shotty? Looks like a M4 barrel profile. Maybe a Colt LE6920 or 6921 (the 14" equivalent)? I'd like to get a closer look, but the officer, coming back from lunch, might be a little apprehensive about someone pressing his nose against the cruiser's window checking out his weaponry. :p

When I was on the department, they were all full stocked Colt 20" HBARs. Not sure of the model # but I can find out. I dont know if they have gotten new rifles/carbines, but I can ask around.

Mr. Beretta
01-06-2007, 6:27 PM
Carried a blue 870 for 25 years. The dept. been trading them in on the parked one's when they rotate them out of service. No more "blue" new ones. I liked the blue ones better. Felt more like a gun. :)

gunrun45
01-07-2007, 2:53 PM
We have mostly parked 870's but we do have 3 blued ones also. The trend seems to be going towards the Park style. Some agencies still issue out a variety of shotguns liek Ithicas, Winchesters, Remingotns, etc...

CHP carries mostly modified DOD given M16's that have the sear and internals changed over to make them semi only. Who would turn down free M16's when new M4's (pic your maker) cost for the dept $650. These weapons are in a variety of configurations. Our local office has A1 uppers, A2 uppers, disapator uppers, etc... Most have been changed over to some variety of telle stock to make them easier to get in and out of the cars.

jfcosgrove3
01-24-2007, 4:02 PM
Most are parkerized.

xenophobe
01-25-2007, 2:28 PM
Very early 870 Police Magnums were blued and came with oil finished plain stocks, many are not marked Police, but they're nice finds. Newer 870 P's are parkerized.

1911_sfca
02-01-2007, 7:41 PM
What a great variety of responses from LE.

In my experience, most of the new shotty's are parkerized. I have seen a couple of older, blued models in training, but otherwise they all seem to be parked these days.