PDA

View Full Version : LEO Recommended Duty Flashlight

RSL
06-30-2011, 11:11 PM
LEO professionals, my brother is currently in a major city police academy that surprisingly does not issue flashlights. He currently uses a Olight Warrior for low light range training, but told me that there are certain holds that recommend the use of a on/off switch on the body instead of just tailcap. He is now in search of a good duty light so id thought Id ask here. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

-Mods please move to the proper LEO thread, thanks

Falconis
07-01-2011, 12:10 AM
streamlight brands are good.

jeep7081
07-01-2011, 9:18 AM
streamlight brands are good.

x2! That's what I had. My father being retired, that's also what he carried when he was active.

Spyder
07-01-2011, 9:46 AM
I really like the new 5.11 lights. Lightweight, bright, full recharge in 90 seconds. I've got a few of them strategically placed in my truck and in my car. The smaller one is a little bigger than most backup lights, but is still smaller than the old SL20.

Samuelx
07-01-2011, 9:56 AM
First thing he should do is check with his agency if they have a flashlight policy(ies) and take into consideration what it stipulates (e.g. size, weight, construction, etc).

Some factors to consider:
Does he foresee using it as an impact weapon (weapon of opportunity/necessity)
What will it be used for (primary/back up, long range/short range, weapon light, etc)
How will it be carried or stored
Incandescent vs LED vs HID, etc
Alkalines vs rechargeable NiMH vs primary lithiums vs rechargeable lithiums, etc
$ vs $$ vs $$$
single mode vs multi mode
tail switch vs barrel/head swith vs other switching
ETC

If he researched and bought himself an Olight, he is probably a little flashlight savvy already. Check CandlePowerForums - all you ever wanted to know about man-made lighting and more...

FWIW, I have 3 main lights - Streamlight Ultrastinger with NiMH battery packs, Night Ops Gladius with modded LED as a backup/weapon light, and an ACRO X990 HID in the trunk.

Marty33
07-01-2011, 9:56 AM
I would recommend the full size Streamlight -aluminum. It is amazing how often I have used my Streamlight as a tool, because it is always in my hand..breaking windows, etc. It also makes a handy mini baton.

Bunyfofu69
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Fenix TK series. Not as expensive at the other brands, multi mode, life time warranty, water proof, good craftsmanship. I've had one on my belt for 3 years. Still going.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
This might sound a bit old school but a Streamlight SL-20 (Aluminum, not polymer!) and a small surefire on your Sam Browne is the ticket.

1911su16b870
07-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Surefire 6P LED is what is on my Sam Brown and rocks the light! :D

Triad
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Pelcan 7060 and Streamlight Stinger LED are what I carry. I have an old Streamlight Strion for just in case circumstances.

I'd like to get my hands on the 5.11 light but it looks so bulky.

tyrist
07-01-2011, 11:48 AM
If he is able I would recommend getting a pistol light. I use the surefire x300.

SoCalDep
07-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Streamlight SL-20X with Terralux 110S 600 lumens drop-in...

SkyStorm82
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Streamlight is what I carry too.

Axewound
07-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Surefire G2 with red light

Cobra Tactical
07-01-2011, 1:58 PM
pelican holds the contract for LAPD, i know surefire, insight and streamlight are all popular with our LEO customers.

Cobra Tactical
07-01-2011, 2:00 PM
http://www.cobratactical.com/Surefire-6PX-Flashlight-Black-_p_8490.html

Ron-Solo
07-01-2011, 3:53 PM
Stream light SL-20x for his primary light, and a Streamlight Stinger as a backup light. The stinger is always on the belt in case you bail out quickly in a hot situation and then need a light. Also handy in daylight hours when you have to clear buildings.

BigDogatPlay
07-01-2011, 3:57 PM
This might sound a bit old school but a Streamlight SL-20 (Aluminum, not polymer!) and a small surefire on your Sam Browne is the ticket.

Not old school at all. Streamlight SL-20 in the billy pocket for two decades plus and a Sure Fire 6P extended with rechargeable battery on my belt for over a decade was how I rolled. I was one of those old mossbacks who carried the Streamlight any hour of the day or night until I got the 6P for the belt.

For a light on the belt hard to beat Sure Fire or Fenix. Definitely go LED.

Triad
07-01-2011, 4:58 PM
For those of you who use a Surefire 6P on the belt, do you use rechargeable batteries? ....or? What is the setup you have? I am trying to eliminate weight on the belt.

SoCalDep
07-01-2011, 5:34 PM
For those of you who use a Surefire 6P on the belt, do you use rechargeable batteries? ....or? What is the setup you have? I am trying to eliminate weight on the belt.

I'm currently carrying a Streamlight PT1L on my belt...it's a single CR123 light and I'm pretty sure it's brighter than the current 6P LED light. I use the cheesy nylon holster it comes with on the very front of my belt next to the buckle, allowing access with either hand. It works well.

When I carried my Surefire Z2 I used a Blade-Tech bezel-down kydex holster and I liked it.

On day shift my sap is in my right sap pocket and a Streamlight PT2AA or Eagletac P20A2 Mk II in my left sap pocket. At night I carry my SL-20X with the new Terralux drop-in instead of the PT2AA/Eagletac.

Rechargeable CR123's are doable but a bit more complicated than AA's, thus the reason for the Streamlight rechargeable and AA powered lights (I use eneloop batteries). I'm still using non-rechargeables in my PT1L. If I get more techy in the light/battery department I might try the RCR123's.

415dog!
07-01-2011, 5:40 PM
pelican for me, cs is superior, light is bright as hell. no mods necessary. as far as an impact weapon I always have my stick on me

Triad
07-01-2011, 7:04 PM
Any experience with Solarforce lights?

nobody33
07-01-2011, 7:06 PM
The pelicans are the best. I carry the 7060 on my belt all the time. I have my old sl20 streamlight as a back up though, but I haven't used it in a while.

mixicus
07-01-2011, 7:28 PM
SL20, Surefire G2 on the belt and a X300 under the pistol.

As nice as a tool the SL20 is...I borrowed a Pelican not too long ago when I got directing traffic on a TC. The lighter weight compared to the SL20 was so very nice. I may switch out my primary light.

Spyder
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
I keep a PT2L in the door and one on my belt.

Solarforce is a good POV light, but I wouldn't rely on it. Mine lasted about 2 years of moderate use before it crapped out with no warning. Bright as hell, with good functions, but wasn't as durable as my PT2L has been.

The 5.11 light has 2 different sizes. I've got both. The smaller one is about the same size as a Stinger and is lighter, brighter, and charges WAY faster. The larger one is about the same as the SL20...but not nearly the impact "tool", if you wind up needing it for a window or something else.

Uhhlexxxis
07-03-2011, 7:55 AM
streamlight stinger led is primarily what I use... lot of our guys are converting our duty SL-20s to use those TerraLux LED conversions. they work well.

Edit, also inquire if his academy allows a light on his duty pistol... Most allow it... it's handy when doing building searches.

barca101
07-03-2011, 8:05 AM
You could never carry enough light..like they say 2 is 1 and 1 is none. You could call it over kill, but I carry 4 LED lights on midnights. I carry a SF6P on my belt, a Fenix TK12, a Pelican 7060 for traffic stops if I need to light up the cab, and a SF X300 weapons light on my Glock. Each light serves a purpose. I carry a spare incase my light goes out or if I have to lend a light to a partner who may not have theirs. If you do go for a light, get the LED they last longer. Also, carry some extra batteries, I have some 123A. I have three battery flashlights incase power goes out in the city and 1 charger flashlight when for everyday use.

FourLoko
07-03-2011, 9:05 AM
Surefire G3 Holster Kit:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-g3l-kit-closeout.html

or

Pelican 7060:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/pe70ledtafl.html

Jwood562
07-03-2011, 9:24 AM
-sl20 with LED upgrade, great impact weapon, very bright and holds a charge for a nice long while.

- 6p with extender and rechargeable battery and malkoff LED on the belt

-x300 under the pistol

-scout 600C on the carbine

plus multiple other lights at home. I love flashlights :)

PositiveInfluence
07-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I enjoy using my 5.11 UC3.400 while I am on patrol. Works amazing and has been dropped countless times and still operates at 100%.

http://www.qmuniforms.com/Flashlights/Handheld-Flashlights/5-11-Tactical-Light-for-Life-Flashlight-UC3-400.axd

I highly recommend it!

blueoval68gt
07-03-2011, 1:50 PM

:iagree: Bingo!

red_star_republic
07-03-2011, 2:20 PM
Went to CSTI down in So-Cal a while back. A SGT from the LAPD told me he hates the Pelican lights and carries a Surefire G2 LED (and a couple in his duty bag if other officer's need them).

That being said I own and use both. I like the G2 because of the kydex open top holster - does not take up a lot of space on my belt, light weight, bright, etc. The 7060 on the other hand is great at night bcause it will blind someone and light up a whole backyard but it's huge (I mean not Maglite 6 D batteries huge but it's big and can be difficult to handle for people with small hands).

I also have a X200 B (diamond shape beam) on my pistol if I need another hand free.

In regards to the different was of holding a flashight (ayoob, Chapman, FBI, etc.) a alot of instructors realize that not all lights are made with a swith on the body of the light.

Also need to keep light discipline in mind in regards to officer safety.

Nefarious
07-03-2011, 6:29 PM
streamlight.

Just about all of us use them here. We bang on tanks, tires, metal this and that. Have never had any issues with mine - or anyone here for that matter with theirs.

Built to last and built tough

retired
07-04-2011, 12:55 AM
During my career (27yrs.) I used my trusty Streamlight SL20. I still use it now that I'm retired, but of course for non leo use.;)

I bought it in 1978 to give you an idea how old it is (and me too I guess:p). Yes, I've had the slide switch replaced a couple of times as that was a known problem. The black coating is almost gone, but that was due to breaking windows at 459 locations so I could enter them without being guillotined, not from beating anyone.:D Despite all of that, it still works fine.

I left the field before most of the fancy stuff started coming out.

Falconis
07-04-2011, 2:11 AM
Heh, I had an SL20 for the first 8 years of my job. It's great for all the reasons stated above. I switched out to a streamlight stinger LED about 4 or 5 years ago because our department made us start carrying so much more crap I needed the belt space. I have not been disappointed yet by either.

DesertGunner
07-04-2011, 8:43 AM
I carry:
Surefire 8NX rechargeable
Surefire G2 (two of them)
Surefire Dominator
Streamlight SL-20XP
Streamlight Stinger

Yes, I carry them all at once. Sometimes I have a maglite back in the car. The reason I carry so many is because sometimes I use that many. I work almost exclusively at night and I might burn through several rechargeable lights during a shift. Sometimes I might be out tracking for 5+ hours out of the shift, and someone else inevitably says "uh, dude my light just died, can i borrow one of yours?"

vintagearms
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Streamlight Stinger

erik18
07-04-2011, 2:32 PM
I carry a pelican 8060 (the big one) as my main light and one of the new Surefire 6p tactical on my belt. Plus I have two fenix tk10's and a Surefire g2 as extras in my bag. All the little lights fit into the same holster (Surefire) on my belt as well.

FourLoko
07-04-2011, 3:51 PM
Streamlight Stinger LED Flashlight
http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-stinger-led-flashlight.html

Fenix TK11 Tactical Flashlight
http://www.lapolicegear.com/fenix-tk11-tk-11-flashlight.html

gotthelife4u
07-05-2011, 9:47 AM
I picked this light up on a recommendation from my friend thats a Dallas Officer. I am going to use this for the academy I'm starting in September.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-75813-Stinger-Flashlight-Steady/dp/B0015ZO8VG/ref=pd_ybh_1?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1N01FC2C8KPMV2ZZQ9TP

Rhythm of Life
07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Fenix TK series. Not as expensive at the other brands, multi mode, life time warranty, water proof, good craftsmanship. I've had one on my belt for 3 years. Still going.

100%

I have the TK15 its awesome
max 127hr runtime
max 337 lumens
4 different modes
strobe setting
impact resistant body
waterproof

$60 yup that'll do

Fenix TK11 Tactical Flashlight
http://www.lapolicegear.com/fenix-tk11-tk-11-flashlight.html

The TK11 is pretty weak considering how for a little more money you can get an extra 100 lumens and more runtime.

I carry:
Surefire 8NX rechargeable
Surefire G2 (two of them)
Surefire Dominator
Streamlight SL-20XP
Streamlight Stinger

Yes, I carry them all at once. Sometimes I have a maglite back in the car. The reason I carry so many is because sometimes I use that many. I work almost exclusively at night and I might burn through several rechargeable lights during a shift. Sometimes I might be out tracking for 5+ hours out of the shift, and someone else inevitably says "uh, dude my light just died, can i borrow one of yours?"

Just a thought, but why not carry extra batteries rather than 5 flashlights?

I understand back-ups but 4 back-ups seems extreme.

BTW for those not in the know Allied is having a Fenix group buy right now:

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=451634

DNA
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Maglight modified with a SST70/90 or a MCE. :)

Checkout the candlepower forums.

Dan

Or even something like this (http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-125/MG-X-dsh-Thrower-SST-dsh-50-Premium/Detail) I have the predecessor to this light and it's awesome and has held up to the rigors of patrol for the past two years... best part is you can use the rechargeable 18650s, or run them with CR123 primaries (never run out of light).

Either way, something to consider is to always have a flashlight that runs off of batteries that can be found in a pinch, in case there's an unusual occurrence and you're far away from the charger or station, that way you can use the rechargeable batteries and have spares, or have the ability to move on to primary batteries when your rechargeable is expended.

DNA
07-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Just a thought, but why not carry extra batteries rather than 5 flashlights?

I understand back-ups but 4 back-ups seems extreme.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=451634

Sounds extreme till you've worked graves or swing. I carry 3 on my person, and 2 more in my war bag as well. Once I asked a trainee if they had a backup light in their war bag and they looked at me like I was from mars. They felt that having 2 was more than enough. Sure enough, next vehicle stop, their primary (streamlight rechargeable no spare battery pack) ran out of batteries. So they switched to their high speed surefire (brand new I might add). And promptly dropped it on the way back to the car (shattering the bulb). So... after getting back to the car, I asked if they wanted to borrow a light or two or head back to the station to sit out the rest of the night.

Dan

moral of the story, 1 is none, 2 is 1 and 3 is the minimum if you're serious about working. And your FTO isn't talking out of the side of his neck when they tell you something seemingly out of left field.

556fmj
07-05-2011, 9:52 PM
Long live the SL20 :)

I recently upgraded mine with a new high output LED head. I however carry a smaller Pelican 7060 as my main light these days along with the SL 20 and Surefire LED dual output light.

Falconis
07-05-2011, 10:13 PM
To rhythm's question, my reasons are 2 fold.

1. Murphy's law.
2. Batteries I think make up 80 percent of the cost of the light it seems like. With these rechargables, it's just easier to buy and carry the extra light. That way you can just swap out instead of spending time fiddling with crap you shouldn't have to.

bfoster
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Ditto on the sl-20x with drop in led for primary...I have a stinger with the terralux drop in upgrade as a backup...and a small surefire plus batteries as a backup to the backup. I REALLY hate getting stuck with a dead light when I need one.