PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 vs Tactical .308

tatt00edangel
06-30-2011, 8:58 PM
I keep hearing that the Tactical .308 barrel is a better choice than the Varmint .308 barrel for the platform. I'm having a hard time understanding why. I thought for accuracy, the longer barrel would be better. I have both barrels so if the tactical would offer better performance and accuracy then I may switch over to it.

Thanks,

ankyle62
06-30-2011, 9:10 PM
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2131546

cruise sniper hide, they have a lot of good info

707electrician
06-30-2011, 9:40 PM
I think you get more velocity out of the longer barrel but the shorter barrel is effectively stiffer and doesn't suffer from as much harmonic vibrations

CK_32
06-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Ok so the longer barrel will get you higher velocities but the 20 tac barrel will get you enough to make it out to 1000 and for those rifles that's a feat in it self.

Now for it being better idk about that but the ADVANTAGES to having the bul barrel (thicker) is that it takes longer to heat up but then again it takes longer to cool down. But the other advantage is that its shorter so more tactical Aka easier to carry inside a house ect.

Now for the rifles them selves the sps tac has a way better pillar bedded stock it's not god but it's days better than the garment which is just plastic holding the screws instead of the aluminum pillars Aka more consistant process to "make the same shot over again"...

Other than that the triggers and actions and everything else is the same but the sps tac is heavier due to the bull barrel so it helps with recoil but the varment is lighter to be easier to treck through the woods and up hills for hunting reason being called varment. The varment also isn't made for target shooting because hunting doesnt always require a string of shots hunting is 1 shot maybe 2 put down and your done. reason not many people use them for shooting paper. The sps tax was made for paper because of the differences is made to be shot multiple times and be more consistant over and over through several shots.

So for paper the only plus for the bull barrel (sps tac) is that it is shorter and heavier for more weight aka less recoil and harder to heat up. And a few less FPS than the longer barrel but you'll have plenty to get you out to 1000. And if your looking to hit further I suggest you get a higher end rifle and probably step with a differant caliber because 308s ballistics aren't the treatiest for long range there is plenty better. They just do good damage at 300 to 1000 yards reason the military uses it for their units to kill at those ranges. But the trajectory is very poor when you stack it up against other calibers. But it is still a great round I love my sps tax in 308 and havnt looked back. Still working on my hand loads to get decent groups at 1000. But she's holding up so far at 800. Just a little more fine tuning and shell be good to go.

Well that's my $.02 hope this helps.

ICHIYA TRAINING CONCEPTS
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I think you get more velocity out of the longer barrel but the shorter barrel is effectively stiffer and doesn't suffer from as much harmonic vibrations

you sir are exactly right..

In theory the varmint will fire a projectile farther, but yes accurate then a shorter barrel of the sps tactical, that has less barrel whip. But the new trend is to run shorter barrels on tactical rifles. Now for the LEO/mil crowd, it makes them much handier to move around with. Not to mention with the advancements in powders, barrels, and projectiles. People are getting more velocity out of there hand loads then they did 10 years ago.

ITC

21SF
07-01-2011, 6:51 AM
They both have bull barrels and are incredibly accurate out of the box.

The Tac comes with a Hogue stock and free floated barrel, the varmint does not.

If you want something light and maneuverable then get the tac put a nice scope bipod and be done.

If you want to build more bench rest style gun and maybe upgrade the stock later then get the Varmint the weight will help reduce recoil.

sonnyt650
07-01-2011, 7:00 AM
The SPS Varmint has a bull barrel as well, just longer. If the Tactical is "more accurate" it's down in the noise for me where my SPS Varmint shoots sub-MOA up until shooter fatigue sets in. The Tikka Varmint is 24" and folks here regularly post great groups, a few less from the SPS Varmint folks at 26", don't recall seeing any from the SPS Tactical actually 20". :whistling:.

As far as which is better for the platform, in order to get velocities up there you don't need extra grains of powder to squeeze out that extra 120fps (roughly 20fps per inch of barrel -- http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm). This means nothing at all to those of us stuck on 100-300 yard ranges but at 600+ that's less correction all around. I did the ballistics calculator thing (used 2500 fps for the Tactical) and at 600 yards the drop is something like 14" difference between the two velocities, while at 1K it's a 48" difference.

CK_32
07-01-2011, 9:16 AM
They both have bull barrels and are incredibly accurate out of the box.

The Tac comes with a Hogue stock and free floated barrel, the varmint does not.

If you want something light and maneuverable then get the tac put a nice scope bipod and be done.

If you want to build more bench rest style gun and maybe upgrade the stock later then get the Varmint the weight will help reduce recoil.

Hmmm they must have changed it because when I was shopping for 700s they use to have the smallerhunting barrel which was lighter for humping through the woods. And they use to have the 26" barrels too lol

And a lot of people think 700s are free floated but they actually make contact about 2 to 3" down the barrel. I think the 700p and up models are free floated. To be considered free floated you need to slide a piece of paper all the way down the barrel. And to be called a true free float if you lay the stock on the bi pod or tap the stock and it touches the barrel it isn't truly free floated but can still be considered free floated. But doesn't do you any good because it is touching the barrel as soon as you use a bi pod and then throws of the harmonics of the barrel.

CK_32
07-01-2011, 9:33 AM
Ps sorry for the shi*ty spelling in my first post. iPhone autospell will be the death of me.... I thought I caught everything but wasn't even close lol

Iloveguns
07-01-2011, 9:56 AM
Apples to Oranges really. Only real difference is you will get more speed out of the longer barrel. I had a tact at one time and it worked fine for 1k not great but it worked. If you have the Varmet barrel on your rifle already dont switch its not worth it.

Speedpower
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
If you want a real full floating barrel on the SPS Tactical, do what I just did, I upgraded my stock with the Black Hawk Knox Axiom stock, I'm actually excited to go to the range and try it, here is a crappy cell phone picture:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263975_1822343237955_1221447806_31557407_5705850_n .jpg

CK_32
07-01-2011, 10:49 PM
If you want a real full floating barrel on the SPS Tactical, do what I just did, I upgraded my stock with the Black Hawk Knox Axiom stock, I'm actually excited to go to the range and try it, here is a crappy cell phone picture:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263975_1822343237955_1221447806_31557407_5705850_n .jpg

that looks like a whole new rifle hahahaha

Speedpower
07-02-2011, 12:27 AM
that looks like a whole new rifle hahahaha

Isn't it awesome looking? I like it!

Dhena81
07-02-2011, 3:00 AM
The Tactical stock doesn't free float when you put a bi pod on it. The stock flexes and touches the barrel, I noticed it after I bought it I don't know how much it will affect accuracy.

Speedpower
07-02-2011, 7:04 AM
Yup the original stock flexes at the end, it says right here: http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

And this is how mine now looks like now with the Knox Axiom Stock I just installed:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/1020-680-ffffff/opplanet-blackhawk-axiom-rifle-stock-3.jpg