PDA

View Full Version : Talking Smack to Kids

wahzoo
06-30-2011, 7:57 PM
Can you guys help me out? My two boys are 13 & 15 and there is an adult who lives a few houses away from us who is in his 30's who has talked trash to my kids three times when they were in our front yard minding their own business. I know who he is, seen him around, but neither me or my wife have never said so much as a word to this guy. We don't live in the greatest of areas and do our best to stay to ourselves.

I think the guy is a thug and I have seen him selling dope on our street.

What should I do?

Samuelx
06-30-2011, 8:03 PM
Which problem are you wanting to address and what do you want accomplished? Sounds like the drug dealing is OK as long as he leaves you and your family alone??

wahzoo
06-30-2011, 8:26 PM
I don't want any problems, just want to be left alone... Need a solution though, I am worried this idiot may do something stupid. Is there any law against harassing kids?

bill_k_lopez
06-30-2011, 8:35 PM
In my experience its impossible to get rid of dirtbag neighbors - because being a dirtbag isn't illegal. Now I know you said he's selling drugs, but are you SURE thats whats going on? Because it sounds to me like you just THINK he's selling drugs - and you just threw that in there to help support the idea that you think he's a dirtbag and he's talked trash to your kids.

Its also been my experience that 13 & 15 year olds can do a lot of shi* to get themselves talked trash to. I'm not saying this is the case with your kids, but there is always two sides to every story.

Have you ever confronted this guy yourself -introduced yourself and said "Hi I'm Samulex, your neighbor from down the street - I heard my boys might have caused some problems for you?" and go from there? That would be the most civil thing to do - rather than jumping to conclusions - I mean, maybe the guy has a legitimate gripe - maybe the guy tells you to go f' yourself. At least you'll get a straight answer as to what is really going on. You don't have to be confrontational - just ask, and listen. If he's a complete a--hole, then you know where you stand with him and then you have to move ahead with other options.

wahzoo
06-30-2011, 8:50 PM
I'm not going to talk to this guy, it will just lead to more problems. Yes i'm 100% positive hes dealing, but hes not the only one. Guy across the street got a raid thrown on him and he's a nice guy, decent neighbor, except for all the extra traffic he brings. Adult living with his parents behind us deals too. Tenant next door was dealing and partiying, but thank goodness he stopped paying his rent and got evicted.

Is there a LEO on here who knows of a law or section that would cover this situation?

bill_k_lopez
06-30-2011, 8:59 PM
I'm not going to talk to this guy, it will just lead to more problems. Yes i'm 100% positive hes dealing, but hes not the only one. Guy across the street got a raid thrown on him and he's a nice guy, decent neighbor, except for all the extra traffic he brings. Adult living with his parents behind us deals too. Tenant next door was dealing and partiying, but thank goodness he stopped paying his rent and got evicted.

So then, you've got two choices - put up with it or leave. If you think your kids/family are in danger then leave immediately - I don't care what kind of financial loss you'd take, or how hard it would be - you get out.

If its just a cra*y place to live, then start planning your escape and get out as soon as possible.

For my kids or my family - I'd pack up and leave in a second if I felt they were in danger. I'd let the bank foreclose on the house, I'd file BK - who cares at that point.

If you're renting there is no excuse. Pack up and leave as soon as possible.

Roddd
06-30-2011, 9:45 PM
If you see him doing it, you can call the police and tell them there's a verbal disturbance between your juvenile children and an adult. They can come out and talk to the three of them. If you suspect he is dealing, notify LE and tell them. You can give them plate numbers off the cars who you suspect are buying from him, but don't get caught doing it. We've made undercover buys that way that turn into felony convictions.

Samuelx
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Is there a LEO on here who knows of a law or section that would cover this situation?

Since you condone drug dealing, you would only be getting the Bare Minimum effort from me with any/all of your kids' problems with those drug dealers... :rolleyes:

GuillermoAntonio
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't want any problems, just want to be left alone... Need a solution though, I am worried this idiot may do something stupid. Is there any law against harassing kids?

WTHHHH! are you doing living with teenage kids in a drug infested neighborhood?
Forget about kicking the guy out of the neighborhood and kick yourself out, i bet you If he leaves the next guy wont be any better!

G1500
06-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Move. Why would you be there if it is so bad?

Samuelx
07-01-2011, 1:04 AM
He doesn't mind all the drug using/dealing criminal activity, it's the TRASH TALKING that he can't stand!

DNA
07-01-2011, 4:36 AM
Sounds like you live in my neighborhood...

Any shootings recently?

Why not just go and talk to the guy?

Dan

frankm
07-01-2011, 9:33 AM
wahzoo, you should try to move. Guys like that will only press it if you jump in his face. He will also continue to mess with your kids as they get older. Don't risk it.

tyrist
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM

If you want the problem solved at some point you are going to have to face him in court.

It sounds like you just want the police to anonymously remove him which they cannot. You need to take responsibility for the safety of your neighborhood. The police can and will help but you will have to participate.

SkyStorm82
07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Somebody talking bad to your kids is minor. I'd be more worried about scumbag drug dealers and all the junkie pieces of **** that come into your neighborhood because of it.

JOEKILLA
07-01-2011, 2:36 PM
I say look for a new place. And good luck.

ironcross
07-01-2011, 4:05 PM
A verbal 415 is not worth it.

It's only your job when you have to defend you're family / yourself.

Ever heard that saying 'Let sleeping dogs lie'.

Put up a static camera that has a mic?

Document, Document, Document.

wahzoo
07-01-2011, 8:09 PM
Just to clarify, I DO NOT condone drug dealing. Drugs are the root of all evil in our society.

I don't see how confronting a dirt bag will do anything but escalate the situation, a loose loose for me. I don't want to make the evening news. IMO a civil confrontation would only work when your dealing with normal people.

I own my home and I don't want to move, I would rather make the evening news than move out. I purchased within my budget in 2003 and I'm vested here. I think the area mirrors any middle class neighborhood in LA. Well, come to think of it, within a mile of where I live there have been homicides, rapes, shootings, an arrest of a gang member for homicide (hiding out), a police shooting of a serial burglar who worked the area for years. I'm sure I'm missing a few events, but doesn't this crap happen everywhere in LA? I'm probably living in a lower, lower middle class area, I guess.

I think I'm going to take my boys to the PD and let them tell their story and see what happens...

In closing, I'm not afraid of court. I'm afraid of what I am capable of doing and have done in the past. I tend to learn from past mistakes and do my best not to repeat...

Notorious
07-01-2011, 8:11 PM
When he is dealing to his customers, run up behind the car and put bananas in the tail pipe. After enough cars stall in his area of the street, and the cops have to come out, he'll stop.

SkyStorm82
07-01-2011, 8:12 PM
Good. I'm glad you clarified that. What did your boys do though to cause him to start talking trash to them?

Of course I still think you need to be more concerned with the drug activity. Get rid of that, and your problems become less.

wahzoo
07-01-2011, 8:29 PM
Good. I'm glad you clarified that. What did your boys do though to cause him to start talking trash to them?

Of course I still think you need to be more concerned with the drug activity. Get rid of that, and your problems become less.

My boys are not trouble makers. They told me they did nothing to provoke him. The first time my older boy said, he thought the guy was loaded and had dropped beer cans out of his car when he got out and left them in the street.

This past Thursday, my son was bringing in our trash cans.

I think they are merely looking at him...

bob7122
07-01-2011, 8:30 PM
just move

SkyStorm82
07-01-2011, 8:33 PM
LOL maybe they can tell he is a POS and it's hard for your boys to not look at him as anything else. Then I suppose said POS sees them look at him and knows that they know.

Sam1
07-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I bet your kids did/said something to him first. But you think they're angels :rolleyes: have a talk with them first

Roddd
07-02-2011, 4:07 AM
To all those who suggest the OP "just move," maybe it isn't that easy. He owns his home. Maybe it's hard to sell his home. Why should law-abiding citizens be run out of their neighborhoods by drug dealers? Why would you guys suggest he cowtows to scum?
OP, get local LE involved. That's what we are here for. Report to the police that you believe this POS is selling drugs out of his house. If possible, set up a HIDDEN camera pointed towards the house. Record the plate numbers on the cars doing business at the residence and forward them to LE. Don't get caught doing this. If you don't get any response from LE, keep calling until you do. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

r3dn3ck
07-02-2011, 7:40 AM
bunch of really understanding compassionate people in here .... not. Especially a couple super guys that say they don't care to do their job because you don't do their job.

frankm
07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
My boys are not trouble makers. They told me they did nothing to provoke him. The first time my older boy said, he thought the guy was loaded and had dropped beer cans out of his car when he got out and left them in the street.

This past Thursday, my son was bringing in our trash cans.

I think they are merely looking at him...

Maybe they should try a different tactic. When they see him, say, "Hi, Mister Smith", or whatever his name is, wave, and go about their business. Maybe he'll relax.

mtsul
07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I say move! You responsibilty is to your family, and to the people that say hide a camera and try to get the plates and don't get caught that's not the OPs job or responsibility it's the LEOs his job/responsibility is to his family. And you would not stay in the house if you smelled gas or if there was smoke, so I say the guy talking trash and dealing drugs is a sure sign of smoke and smell of gas! I say leave protect your family!! And at the very very least make sure that you stay completely hidden concealed in anything you tell the LEOs or pictures or anything

SVT-40
07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
You can't legislate or criminalize simple rude behavior. Maybe it's best to use the slobs behavior as a learning lesson for your boys.

In other words teach them sometimes it's just best to ignore fools and just go on about your life.

"Talking trash" is in reality nothing. Unless he makes some credible threat it's just words.

So teach them to ignore this idiot and move on. It's a good object lesson in life for them. It teaches them just how to actually ignore a situation and not to become part of the problem.

Samuelx
07-02-2011, 2:10 PM
bunch of really understanding compassionate people in here .... not. Especially a couple super guys that say they don't care to do their job because you don't do their job.

I'm pretty sure this was directed at me so I'll simply state that I very little sympathy/compassion for criminals and about the same for people who condone criminal behavior - which is what I gathered from the OP's first couple of posts (despite what he writes later):

1. He had already seen a person deal drugs (but never did anything about it - and hence, was ok with it - and now that same guy seems to be the root of some problems)
2. Guy across the street is also apparently dealing drugs since he's been raided but the OP says he is a decent guy and a good neighbor - the only minor issue with him is that he brings "extra traffic"
3. Person living behind the OP also deals - but it seems like he's a non-issue because he isn't bothering the OP or his family.

For those of you who think using/dealing drugs is a victimless crime - wake up - it isN'T.

For those of you who have this type of activity occurring in your areas - you can always call and give anonymous information, to start with. Local LE may or may not be aware of what is going on - give us a heads up and a reason to focus some attention on POSes around you.

'If you lie down with dogs, you may wake up with fleas.'

Samuelx
07-02-2011, 2:11 PM
You can't legislate or criminalize simple rude behavior. Maybe it's best to use the slobs behavior as a learning lesson for your boys.

In other words teach them sometimes it's just best to ignore fools and just go on about your life.

"Talking trash" is in reality nothing. Unless he makes some credible threat it's just words.

So teach them to ignore this idiot and move on. It's a good object lesson in life for them. It teaches them just how to actually ignore a situation and not to become part of the problem.

This.

wahzoo
07-02-2011, 5:58 PM

I will take your advise, Thanks...

wahzoo
07-02-2011, 6:21 PM
I'm pretty sure this was directed at me so I'll simply state that I very little sympathy/compassion for criminals and about the same for people who condone criminal behavior - which is what I gathered from the OP's first couple of posts (despite what he writes later):

1. He had already seen a person deal drugs (but never did anything about it - and hence, was ok with it - and now that same guy seems to be the root of some problems)
2. Guy across the street is also apparently dealing drugs since he's been raided but the OP says he is a decent guy and a good neighbor - the only minor issue with him is that he brings "extra traffic"
3. Person living behind the OP also deals - but it seems like he's a non-issue because he isn't bothering the OP or his family.

For those of you who think using/dealing drugs is a victimless crime - wake the fuc& up - it isN'T.

For those of you who have this type of activity occurring in your areas - you can always call and give anonymous information, to start with. Local LE may or may not be aware of what is going on - give us a heads up and a reason to focus some attention on POSes around you.

'If you lie down with dogs, you may wake up with fleas.'

Oh and btw, redneck - ::CLICK::

I have called the police so many times about the idiots behind me and next door that I think they were tired of hearing from me. It didn't slow down until until the idiots next door got evicted. Things have gotten better since then. They knew I was calling on them and there were repercussions, one vandalized car, they would throw nuts and bolts at our cars parked in the driveway when they walked by, trash being constantly thrown in my back yard, rocks and debris in the pool, bb to our bedroom window, on and on. Called PD for most of it except for the stuff in the pool. It was an ongoing thing for quite a while, until their friend and hang out spot next door got evicted.

PD knew who they were, prior arrests for assaulting an old man and other small time stuff. I was told one of them was an informant by an officer and it was then I realized why LE had been so ineffective.

Guy across the street, I called on and apparently he was bigger than the local PD could handle cause LA Impact took over the guys case. We were on vacation last year when we got a call from the handling officer who wanted to park a surveillance car in our driveway, had to tell him the target was watching our house while we were away... Raid went off while we were gone.

I guess I'm just getting tired of all these BS people and frustrated with the local PD's response.

I took the kids to the PD yesterday and we were just told to call them if it happens again and they will send an officer to talk with him...

SVT-40
07-02-2011, 9:43 PM
I will take your advise, Thanks...

No problem...

It's good for young men to learn that sometimes the best choice is to simply just walk away and not become involved.

It's hard now days because it seems everybody gets their shorts in a knot when they are "disrespected".

Good training for them when they are confronted by other problems. Sure they or you could get in the fools face.... But would that modify the guys attitude? Most likely not...

Good luck.

Samuelx
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I have called the police so many times about the idiots behind me and next door that I think they were tired of hearing from me.

Who is your agency/department? What kind of things did you complain about? FWIW, I've been to neighbor related disturbances ranging from ticky tack BS complaints like leaves from a neighbor's tree fell into my yard, neighbor watering plants got my yard wet, to more serious stuff like registered pedophiles harassing kids to assault with deadly weapons/aggravated assault cases, etc. The ticky tack stuff gets old real fast.

It didn't slow down until until the idiots next door got evicted. Things have gotten better since then. They knew I was calling on them and there were repercussions, one vandalized car, they would throw nuts and bolts at our cars parked in the driveway when they walked by, trash being constantly thrown in my back yard, rocks and debris in the pool, bb to our bedroom window, on and on. Called PD for most of it except for the stuff in the pool. It was an ongoing thing for quite a while, until their friend and hang out spot next door got evicted.

Again, what were you calling on them about and how did they know it was you calling? Whenever I've gotten intel from people about problem locations/persons in the neighborhood Dealing Drugs, the source(s) stay confidential. I'll make the time to stake the location/person out and make my own observations/contacts.

PD knew who they were, prior arrests for assaulting an old man and other small time stuff. I was told one of them was an informant by an officer and it was then I realized why LE had been so ineffective.

Who told you that one of them was an informant? Any/all informants I've ever used were warned that they had to keep their noses clean - if they didn't, I wouldn't be helping them out of any problems/arrests.

Guy across the street, I called on and apparently he was bigger than the local PD could handle cause LA Impact took over the guys case. We were on vacation last year when we got a call from the handling officer who wanted to park a surveillance car in our driveway, had to tell him the target was watching our house while we were away... Raid went off while we were gone.

I guess I'm just getting tired of all these BS people and frustrated with the local PD's response.

Depending on what you were complaining about, they may or may not have been able to do anything about it without you becoming involved. If Narco activity is actually occurring and regular patrol units aren't available, maybe you can ask to speak to one of detectives in the narcotics unit.

I took the kids to the PD yesterday and we were just told to call them if it happens again and they will send an officer to talk with him...

If you find that you have to take it to a higher level (e.g. possible charges of 647.6(a)(1) or getting a restraining order), you should make sure that your kids are in no way instigating or contributing to the problem with the idiot...

bill_k_lopez
07-03-2011, 7:55 AM
Telling the OP to MOVE is 100% BS and is one of the attitudes that are ruining this country. WHY, oh WHY should the GOOD GUY move? If the SCUMBAGS, the CRIMINALS would be made to MOVE, like maybe to Massachusetts or New York, we wouldn't be so messed up.

What a cop out.

Because nothing is worth more than your family's safety. You're obviously too young and immature to understand this.

You have to pick your fights in life. How would you explain to the OP that he did a good thing by not being a "cop out" after something bad happens to one of his kids?

George Loony
07-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Telling the OP to MOVE is 100% BS and is one of the attitudes that are ruining this country. WHY, oh WHY should the GOOD GUY move? If the SCUMBAGS, the CRIMINALS would be made to MOVE, like maybe to Massachusetts or New York, we wouldn't be so messed up.

What a cop out.

bill_k_lopez
07-04-2011, 8:28 AM

What a cop out.

Because nothing is worth more than your family's safety. You're obviously too young and immature to understand this.

You have to pick your fights in life. How would you explain to the OP that he did a good thing by not being a "cop out" after something bad happens to one of his kids?

Patriot Man
07-04-2011, 8:43 AM
Can you guys help me out? My two boys are 13 & 15 and there is an adult who lives a few houses away from us who is in his 30's who has talked trash to my kids three times when they were in our front yard minding their own business. I know who he is, seen him around, but neither me or my wife have never said so much as a word to this guy. We don't live in the greatest of areas and do our best to stay to ourselves.

I think the guy is a thug and I have seen him selling dope on our street.

What should I do?

Is the avitar you? If so you could just stand in his front yard and stare at him. You look big and scary :D:D:)

In all seriousness you should politely talk to him. Diplomacy has usually worked well throughout civilization for these kinds of problems. His mom probably never held him as a child much.

Notorious
07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Playing chicken might be fine if you're single and have no responsibilities but when family comes into the picture, prudent and safe is best. You can't be there to protect them at all times and imagine how bad you would feel to find out your actions caused someone to harm your family?

If there is an option to do something better like move, that would be my first choice. Because it doesn't matter if the dealers don't do anything, you still live in a drug infested neighborhood. The customers and the rivals will eventually do something you and your family won't like.