PDA

View Full Version : ...

Foriegn power
06-30-2011, 7:29 PM
Hi all,

Roddd
06-30-2011, 9:55 PM
Community service may help. Learn a foreign language. You'll be surprised to find out how many people with Master's degrees are applying. Your having many part time jobs can't compare to people that have held one job for 6 years. It's tough out there but you have the right attitude. Schedule ride alongs, make sure everybody knows you. Stay clean.
What's your past history like? How old are you? Feel free to PM me if you want.

emvampyre
07-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Have you thought about becoming a reserve deputy/officer? Often times this can be a huge boost to a career in law enforcement. Find out if one of the departments you are interested in has a reserve program.

retired
07-01-2011, 1:21 AM
Have you thought about becoming a reserve deputy/officer? Often times this can be a huge boost to a career in law enforcement. Find out if one of the departments you are interested in has a reserve program.

This.^ You are in competition with many laid off leos who may have years of experience and have only been laid off due to the difficult economic straits cities and counties are in. You really don't have a chance until things turn around, so the reserve leo is your best bet IMO.

Also, start going on ride alongs. If you get to the oral stage, they will ask you if you have gone on any and if you haven't, you will be marked down.

Roddd
07-01-2011, 3:31 AM
Keep going on ride alongs. What foreign language do you speak?
The reserve thing could work, you'll have to look into putting yourself through an academy. The competition is tough normally, in this economy with all of the officers who have been laid off, it's even tougher. Also look into what agencies are hiring parking enforcement officers. Get your foot in the door anyway you can. Good luck and keep the positive attitude. Persistence pays off.

mixicus
07-01-2011, 7:04 AM
It's tough right now. The depts. that are hiring tend to be hiring to maintain minimum staffing levels not total authorized staff. There are plenty of LEO's that have been laid off or are facing the strong possiblilty of getting laid off. So the talent poolis getting deep. Sorry.

Best strategy right now is to put yourself in the best possible position when an opening comes up or when the economy turns around in a few years and depts got on a binge to come up to authorized levels. Since you already have a degree, consider putting yourself through an academy. That will put you in the 'academy grad' stack of apps instead of the 'recruit' stack. If you graduate and still don't have a slot, go for a reserve position at the department you are most interested in. If financially the academy is not in the cards, consider getting a job as a Police Service Officer/Jailer. If possible at the depts you are interested in. It will get you some exposure and experience.

Whatever you do, don't give up if this is what you want.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
This might sound crazy but if I was in my 20's with a Bachelor's degree and hopeful for a career in law enforcement, I would join the Military Reserves or National Guard with a commission and then start applying to departments as soon as you finish your military training.

judoguy
07-01-2011, 7:19 PM
I am also 23 this year. And yeah from many officers I've asked , its tough and minimum required staff seems to be the trend.

But don't be discouraged, i only have my high school diploma, and some what units in college. No degree, been maintaining a family run restaurant for 4 years now .

So as far as your friend having military to you having a bs. I got neither except several years in management and customer service.

But I am putting myself through to academy, this comin august, and its unbelievable how many officers tell me that its tough to nearly impossible to get picked up these days. But out of the 50 negative stories the 1 or 2 that do get hired on, push through it regardless of the bad news.

Psalm 112:7 NIV

They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.

Good luck brotha, I'll be pushing forward as well.

Roddd
07-01-2011, 7:49 PM
Judoguy, keep the job at the restaurant and go to college full time. Having gone through the academy on your own might not mean too much when people with Bachelor's and Master's are applying alongside of you. It's competitive but worth it.

Notorious
07-01-2011, 8:03 PM
Dude, just realize that there are tons and tons of laid off experienced LEO's as well as highly educated professionals with advanced degrees applying for these very rare and highly competitive jobs. I think the last posting we put out for lateral/pre-service, all we got were laterals and we had enough to screen out pre-service since there were enough people with experience applying that we didn't have to chance it on a guy straight out of the academy.

We even have active LEO's applying in droves because they are hedging their bets against being laid off since they were lower in the seniority scale so they see the writing on the wall.

We also have a lot of professionals in other fields such as accounting, real estate, even medical or legal that is looking for a job with more stability. They got true, stable job work histories and also advanced educations for the most part.

Gauge yourself against that and you should understand what you are up against.

tyrist
07-01-2011, 9:43 PM
Many departments have a veterans preference program so your friend probably got extra points on his oral interview.

Also just "passing" isn't enough; You are competing against everyone else who applied and must beat them.

ankyle62
07-01-2011, 9:52 PM
Many departments have a veterans preference program so your friend probably got extra points on his oral interview.

Also just "passing" isn't enough; You are competing against everyone else who applied and must beat them.

Yeah no such thing as passing, you need to be pushing the limits or the top performer. If I were you I would go join the military as an officer, or start graduate school and hope things clear up by the time you are done.

I havent had any luck either, last department sent me the same "due to the amount of applicants not everyone can be selected" type letters. Im starting to think I wont be able to get in the career field, but Im going to keep trying.

fullrearview
07-03-2011, 1:26 AM
Hard? Yes. Impossible?? Hell no.

bubbagump
07-03-2011, 1:37 AM
I remember when I was going through the process for "Public Safety Officer"...

100 people showed up to the test. About 20 made it to interviews. Six made it to backgrounds. Three got the interview with the chief/captain. 3 of us got hired.

That was back in 2007.

I remember when the background investigator showed up to my apartment. He was asking about some pictures on the walls. Talked to my neighbors.

And I'll never forget when he took a big red marker to one of my references. I thought I was going to be DQ'd for sure.

And then the brick I sh*t out during the Captains interview. That guy actually read through my whole packet.

It took about 4 months. Huge pain in the *ss.

Foriegn power
07-03-2011, 12:02 PM
It's nice to hear events like yours, thanks for sharing.

Notorious
07-03-2011, 2:25 PM
I remember when I was going through the process for "Public Safety Officer"...

Is that a peace officer position? Local private colleges have public safety because they can't have a police department. Or is it the combined LE/Fire position in Santa Clara?

bubbagump
07-04-2011, 1:09 AM
Is that a peace officer position? Local private colleges have public safety because they can't have a police department. Or is it the combined LE/Fire position in Santa Clara?

We fell under 831.4

Basically part-time CSO's

DavidRSA
07-06-2011, 8:50 PM
I have a BS in Chemistry, a law degree, and a masters degree. I am also a CA licensed attorney and a federally licenced Patent Attorney. I have had my fair share of rejections too. The competition is outrageous. But I am plowing ahead. The key is to just keep trying and not be too discouraged. (Sometimes that is easier said than done...)

Another question from an earlier post... what does "Pre-service" mean? I see job posts for Police Officer - Recruit/Entry-Level, Pre-Service Only. What exactly does that mean?

Notorious
07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I have a BS in Chemistry, a law degree, and a masters degree. I am also a CA licensed attorney and a federally licenced Patent Attorney. I have had my fair share of rejections too. The competition is outrageous. But I am plowing ahead. The key is to just keep trying and not be too discouraged. (Sometimes that is easier said than done...)

Another question from an earlier post... what does "Pre-service" mean? I see job posts for Police Officer - Recruit/Entry-Level, Pre-Service Only. What exactly does that mean?

With your quals, you might want to consider federal service like FBI or NSA. Or you can go local and not get to use your law degree like me. I am a lawyer as well but I stayed local because I didn't want to move around the country at the whim of the agency.

Pre-service means you have graduated from the academy but you have not served as a LEO. They are between raw recruits who have no academy and laterals who have LEO experience.

its mcgavin son
07-07-2011, 6:35 PM
Keep up the good work. I'm on the grind too but I'm getting a little frustrated with agencies/departments that claim they're hiring LEO academy candidates when they're not -- some even laying off people ie Riverside.

I'm a military veteran and just graduated with a BS from a SoCal CSU..

fmxmyway
07-07-2011, 6:56 PM
I am in the same boat. I must admit, after reading some of these stories I was taken back a little. One of my friends is a DEA agent and I remember him telling me that they hired a guy awhile back with a 4 year degree and his current job was in lost prevention at Lowes, no foreign language or LE/military experience. So he went on to say it really all depends upon the needs of the agency at that specific time. I am undergoing a BI with local LE and will be taking some tests for federal positions as they arise.
The thing that I have a hard time grasping lies in the notion that in the private sector--as long as we are dedicated and never give up, the achievement is only a matter of time whereas with the government or local government--this isn't the case. Below is a quote from another board in regards to an agent giving out advice. I think such advice may help some people on here regardless of what LE career you are in the process of acquiring. If anyone else on here has advice pertaining to local and especially federal LE positions, please do share as your knowledge and advice is priceless to both myself and people in similair conditions. Good luck to you all.

"GPA stuff: 4.0 is nice but DEA is maybe the only agency still out there that cares more about actual experience, life experience, SKILLS, etc than GPA. We will (and I have sat on hiring panels) take the 2.5 GPA spanish speaking big city street cop any day before the 4.0 masters degree in criminal justice who sat thru his entire college career looking at school books and working part-time at Game Stop. Do your best in college but you need to be well rounded. We are hiring people to do UC work, interact with criminals, talk to judges, etc. Not nerds who have the quadratic equation memorized. The MOST IMPORTANT thing college-wise would be computer courses, financial/business classes, and writing classes." -DEA agent

Notorious
07-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Sound advice. I have say on enough panels as well as done package reviews of candidates before making a final hiring recommendation. Sad thing is, it's all a numbers game and a matter of attrition. A huge pool will come to the written test, half will make it to orals, some go on to backgrounds, few get to the conditional offer then to medical and psyche. I don't know of anyone who failed a med but I know a few who failed the psyche.

You gotta be on your game the whole time and keep on being the best candidate through the whole process. Anything, and I mean anything, can be cause to fail you during the process.

It's not unheard of for the golden boy shoo-in to blow it by getting into a bar fight or arrested for DUI and basically be banned for a long time from all departments until he puts time between him and the incident. Same thing happens to academy cadets who get in trouble during the academy.

Stay clean, stay sharp, and stay on top of your game.

Tacit Blue
07-08-2011, 7:54 AM
+1 Also don't hesitate to apply for a LE in another state as a start, your search shouldn't just be limited to CA. At this point you go anywhere you can get your foot in the door.

I wish i was an explorer when i was younger, that would have helped me alot. I remember all the Military recruiters in High School, but the explorer program was always kinda hush...hush... Oh well...