PDA

View Full Version : Game load for skeet

Kyasharin
06-30-2011, 5:01 PM
Hey all,
I just picked up a Remington 870 shotgun with a 18" barrel so I'm new to the shotgun world. I went to Turner's today to pick up some ammo for skeet. The salesperson suggested this for target load to me:
http://www.federalpremium.com/m/product_details.aspx?f=5&t=3&u=9&id=159
Will this load suffice for skeet? Thanks again.

06-30-2011, 5:19 PM
Save your self some money, go to WalMart and get Fed. or Win Target Loads.

Aprox $22 for a 4 box brick (100 Rnds)

Kyasharin
06-30-2011, 5:26 PM
Thanks friend, I'll check them out.

Looks like my cousin's M2 is going to gorge on some free shells at Angeles...

BLC
06-30-2011, 7:35 PM

:thumbsup:

coyotebait
07-01-2011, 5:47 AM

This.....but a lot of places won't let you shoot skeet with an 18 inch barrel.

Kyasharin
07-01-2011, 6:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Will a 28 inch vented rib barrel do? Should I get a choke for skeet as well?

sargenv
07-01-2011, 6:49 AM
That's pretty much the same load and about the same price as the 100 pack boxes.. I usually get them by the 10 box case for around $55/case. The targets aren't moving that fast and are not that far away. The thought for skeet is wide open chokes and a dense pattern of tiny pellets.

3 1/4 - 1 will work just fine.. which is what the person behind the counter suggested. Most game loads are 6, 7.5, or 8's.

What you generally want for skeet is 1 1/8 oz of 9's.. (load is usually 2 3/4 or 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz of shot, size # 8 or 9 sized shot). The Dram Equivalent corresponds to velocity. It is an old method of comparing how much black powder it took to get to a certain velocity with a given load of shot. I think I have an essay about it somewhere around here.. 2 3/4 dram with 1 1/8 oz of shot corresponds to the shot charge moving at a nominal 1150 fps, the 3 dram load is nominally 1200 fps.. That is generally out of a 28" barrel. You may lose some velocity out of your shorter 18" gun.

coyotebait
07-01-2011, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Will a 28 inch vented rib barrel do? Should I get a choke for skeet as well?
28" barrel would be perfect. As far as chokes go, I would buy a couple different ones to see what you like. I use modified. I know some that use full, they like the challenge. Once you get the hang of clays, try sporting clays. Happy shooting.

07-01-2011, 9:27 AM
I see you are signed up for the training class.

Check Iten #7 Choke info. if you have any one of the 3 mentioned, you are good to go.

uyoga
07-01-2011, 9:29 AM
If you are new to skeet as well as to the shotgun world, you might wish to give this a try: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=329160&highlight=skeet

I tried it and enjoyed it so much, I'm going back for more, and taking one of my grandsons with me.

Kyasharin
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
coyotebait, thanks for the advice. I'll try to get the 28" barrel then. Does anybody know if the 28" barrel for the 870 express will work on the police magnum receiver? As far as I know they appear to be the same thing.

Thanks, uyoga. Like 5539 said, I signed up for the skeet clinic on the 27th. Too bad we won't be seeing each other since you're taking the on on the 6th. Be safe, friend.

BigDogatPlay
07-01-2011, 1:27 PM
Does anybody know if the 28" barrel for the 870 express will work on the police magnum receiver? As far as I know they appear to be the same thing.

Exactly the same. The only barrels that won't readily interchange in 870's are Special Purpose barrels, at least as far as my experience and knowledge goes.

johnmoney
07-01-2011, 1:33 PM

Exactly which Walmarts sell ammo. Every Walmart I go to in Los Angeles, which aren't many to begin with, never sells ammo.

sargenv
07-01-2011, 1:39 PM
Skeet is generally a close up game, improved cylinder is about the most you want and the more open skeet choke is desirable..

If you are shooting trap, that's when I'd use the tighter constrictions of the light modified up to full choke... Sporting clays kind of runs the gamut from quick fast stuff to clays at 35 yards and beyond with smaller targets.. it can get interesting.. though I still use an improved for everything and choose to change shot sizes for different ranges/target presentations.. It's amazing the range an improved cylinder has with the right ammo..

coyotebait
07-01-2011, 3:15 PM
coyotebait, thanks for the advice. I'll try to get the 28" barrel then. Does anybody know if the 28" barrel for the 870 express will work on the police magnum receiver? As far as I know they appear to be the same thing.

Thanks, uyoga. Like 5539 said, I signed up for the skeet clinic on the 27th. Too bad we won't be seeing each other since you're taking the on on the 6th. Be safe, friend.
As stated, the barrels are interchangeable, do yourself a favor and keep an eye open on the market place here for a used one, new can run as much as a new shotgun.

Exactly which Walmarts sell ammo. Every Walmart I go to in Los Angeles, which aren't many to begin with, never sells ammo.
I don't know how far you're willing to drive but the Wally World here in Simi Valley sells ammo.