View Full Version : Registering receiver with barrel?

06-30-2011, 3:54 PM
To register a receiver, a FAL receiver in this case, you must be 21 because of the fact that you can build a pistol on that receiver correct?

If the receiver comes with a 16 inch barrel already installed in the receiver, do you still have to be 21 to register it?


06-30-2011, 4:20 PM
Only assault weapons and handguns are registered. Everything is DROSed except antiques, black powder and in some cases C&Rs.

21 for a receiver, it has nothing to do with what you can turn a receiver into. The law is 18 to buy rifles, 21 to buy any thing else whether it is a pistol, receiver, pistol grip only long arm, or NFA.

The pertinent part of what makes a rifle a rifle is that it is shoulder fired. A barreled receiver is just that, a barreled receiver. If you were to attach a stock to it, I would assume it would be considered a rifle (because it is now shoulder fired and using the ATF's once a rifle, always a rifle formula). The answer to that question is best left to your transfer dealer.