PDA

View Full Version : Removing .22 conversion BCG from AR upper

a1c
06-30-2011, 3:57 PM
So I got this CMMG .22 conversion from a Calgunner, a CMMG .22 mag, removed the 5.56 BCG and inserted the rimfire assembly. Seemed a little reluctant at first, and wouldn't fit all the way - not allowing the lower to lock. A bit of oil, and suddenly it all fits, and I have myself a .22 AR. Shot a few mags worth of Fiocchi SM 280 and 320 - not a hiccup. The thing functions flawlessly, and accuracy seems pretty decent, but I haven't really sighted it yet.

Problem is, I probably didn't grease the rails enough, and now I cannot for the life of me remove that bolt assembly. I've tried banging it out with wood blocks but no luck. Looks like the thing is seized - possibly in the chamber area. Great. I might as well gotten myself a dedicated upper I can't clean.

Is my next move a trip to the gunsmith? Any tips?

smle-man
06-30-2011, 4:18 PM
Same thing happened to me with my Ciener. I put the rifle in a cradle, pulled the bolt all the way to the rear with the op handle and held it and then put a cleaning rod down the bore till it was against the bolt face and tapped it. Don't forget to hold your breath an squint while tapping because I did and it worked with two light taps and the Ciener popped out with no damage to device or rifle.

a1c
06-30-2011, 4:23 PM
Same thing happened to me with my Ciener. I put the rifle in a cradle, pulled the bolt all the way to the rear with the op handle and held it and then put a cleaning rod down the bore till it was against the bolt face and tapped it. Don't forget to hold your breath an squint while tapping because I did and it worked with two light taps and the Ciener popped out with no damage to device or rifle.

Oh, the cleaning rod trick... Didn't even think of that. Clever. Will try that. Thanks!