PDA

View Full Version : thank you

judoguy
06-30-2011, 3:43 PM
Thank you.

Jonathan Doe
06-30-2011, 3:59 PM
I have never seen a smaller size pistols in the academy. Most agencies issued the pistols.

BigDogatPlay
06-30-2011, 4:20 PM
If you are going through sponsored by an agency, 9 times out of 10 your agency will send you with an issued firearm.

If you are going through on your own, you'll have to supply your own. You could likely get by with a G19, but academy policy is going to dictate. Check the policy when you get your books.

Baconator
06-30-2011, 4:26 PM
Your best bet would be to ask the academy administration.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

judoguy
06-30-2011, 4:32 PM
yes I am putting myself through, I had a feeling that the glock19 wouldn't fly. Is it possible to get a leo discount while going through the academy for a firearm? Or is it wiser just to pick up a used one here on calguns? I know turners is currently selling their glock17 for 550, so I was thinking whether to buy this now or try to see if a Leo discount would apply to academy.

RollingCode3
06-30-2011, 4:43 PM
I have seen people shoot Glock 19/23 in the academy before. Call the admin and ask them that. They should give you a list of what to buy and what gun to purchase during the orientation.

judoguy
06-30-2011, 5:02 PM
Thanks for the info folks. Will call first thing tomorrow.

mcrdsd911
06-30-2011, 5:35 PM
I graduated from the south bay academy this april and I used my G19. Never had any problems from the range instructors.

Spec
06-30-2011, 7:15 PM
Are you looking to hire on with a specific department? if so call that department and see about getting a approved firearms list.

Just remember Black Monday is a "test" and it get way better after a few weeks...

Roddd
06-30-2011, 9:50 PM
Save your money and stick with your G19 if it's allowed (I don't see why it wouldn't be). You'll have enough crap to buy. And if you haven't already, start applying to every agency around. Tell them you're putting yourself through the academy. It's a long process.

Huevos Machaca
06-30-2011, 9:54 PM
I used my G19, another recruit used her G23. We had the option of using academy Sigs or our own.

Samuelx
06-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Why are you asking here instead of asking Fullerton directly????

Foriegn power
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how long does the POST certification last? Correct me if I'm wrong does it last one year or three years? Last, is this academy pretty costly? $5-6,000?

RollingCode3
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
3 years

Huevos Machaca
07-01-2011, 8:02 AM
Mine was $4-$5 grand after tuition, fees, materials, uniforms, graduation, etc.

9mmepiphany
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Unless the academy has a policy against it, the G19 should work fine. There isn't anything the G17 will do, for that usage that a G19 can't do...I actually find the G19 to balance better.

When you find a paying job, you can look at getting a gun for that department, if they don't provide one. Save your money for your expense during the academy.

You might consider a front sight blade with a night sight lamp in it, if you don't already have one...makes it easier during night shoots. A single front night sights is faster and just as accurate...if you are using it correctly...as the 3-dot setup. Plus it's less expensive

Bobby Ricigliano
07-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Even if a compact pistol is allowed, I wouldn't recommend it. A full size pistol will be easier to shoot and manipulate during your training. If you can get a LEO exemption then BNIB Glocks are like $400 at Proforce in Brea. The academy is hard enough as it is without skimping on your equipment.

judoguy
07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah I called pro force and its like 398$ not including tax etc. Wow great price.

Office is closed, Will be calling fullerton once holiday weekend is over.

I am pretty set on the glock 17 , now I'm just curious to see if the 19 is allowed.

Reading several threads, seems that its either dead even or slightly better going with the glock 17

Milspec714
07-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah I called pro force and its like 398$ not including tax etc. Wow great price.

Office is closed, Will be calling fullerton once holiday weekend is over.

I am pretty set on the glock 17 , now I'm just curious to see if the 19 is allowed.

Reading several threads, seems that its either dead even or slightly better going with the glock 17

so your already enrolled with the academy? Tacstaff should of gave you full packet on whats a go or no go... to include equipment...

tyrist
07-01-2011, 11:45 AM
You should be fine with a glock 19. The Glock model 19 is an approved duty firearm in my department. I carried a glock 23 for about a year on duty and it was just fine.

If you are paying for everything yourself, I would advise you to save as much money as possible since getting hired might be very difficult. They are doing lay offs like crazy all over the state.

ironcross
07-01-2011, 4:27 PM
Why not get the G22. Which is the most issued pistol in our state.

Can always get the 40 to 9 barrel.

Plus if you get issued a weapon you can have yours to do the fancy 22lr conversion.

SkyStorm82
07-01-2011, 4:30 PM
Call Pro Force in Brea and ask if they will let you buy from them as an academy recruit.

judoguy
07-01-2011, 4:44 PM
I get my scheduling and all the good info on orientation day mid July, academy officially starts august. I just wanted to get a head start on everything. A pro force staff member said that the academy probably issues a letter of proof about attending the academy. So you can buy the fire arm but they do swap out the 17round magazines to the standard 10rd magazines.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Foriegn power
07-01-2011, 5:22 PM
So the POST lasts 3 years, that sounds pretty reasonable.

Notorious
07-01-2011, 8:05 PM
I went through the academy with a Glock 23 and quite a few guys went through with a Glock 19. There are a few guys and girls using the G19/23 on uniformed duty that I know of. I have since moved on to full-sized guns, but in the academy, it was the G23 that got me through.

phazedd
07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello, I was self sponsoring my way through with the same Academy and withdrew because I got hired on somewhere else but this academy is great, and they are more than willing to work with you in regards to finances.

That being said, the Glock 19 is 100% ok to use. Several people in my class were using the Glock 19.

woody99
07-04-2011, 4:54 PM
The academy i went through issued guns to the cadets only when at the range and they collected them at the end of the day and reissued them the next day and so on. They issued red guns for everyday class. This was the case for everyone, dept. sponsored or self sponsored.

Notorious
07-04-2011, 10:20 PM
The academy i went through issued guns to the cadets only when at the range and they collected them at the end of the day and reissued them the next day and so on. They issued red guns for everyday class. This was the case for everyone, dept. sponsored or self sponsored.

Which academy be that?

bigred1
07-04-2011, 10:39 PM

The Stanislaus County (Ray Simon institute) does this exact same thing. If you can't afford your own weapon, then a Glock will be loaned to you each range day (you supply ammo) and issued red guns for regular class duty.
When I left the staff and range master were talking about making a an Independent Recruit package (all duty gear, weapon, ammo etc etc for one low rental price) that would of been awesome seeing as how the academy cost me around 6k and I already owned my XD.
That's pretty cool if the range staff and academy staff don't mind you using a 23. 1/2 of my cadre hated my XD (this was in 07 and they didn't even know what it was) they were all glock this and sig that.

Good luck to you as an independent; it's rough out there.

dkindrumr
07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Fullerton was pretty flexible with what you carried, Hell, we even had a guy with a S&W Sigma 9mm. I started Fullerton with a Sig P229 and ended with my USP. One of our females had the G17 and the Tacstaff was fine with it 5 years ago.

My $.02

JayCo
07-06-2011, 12:14 PM

If my memory serves me correctly the Napa academy does the same thing.