PDA

View Full Version : Departments allowing Facial Hair

ARtistinCA
06-30-2011, 1:10 PM
Hey floks,

Looking to change policy in our department. We currently are allowed to wear mustaches but we want to wear go-tees. I only know of one agency, Walnut Creek PD. that allows this.

If anyone knows of others please post here. If you're in one of those agencies can you email me the policy wording.

Thanks!!

nobody33
06-30-2011, 1:15 PM
Only "special" people in certain assignments can here. Which is good. The cops I see on TV from OR and WA states all look like garbage with their lax uniform and grooming standards.

barca101
06-30-2011, 1:26 PM
I've seen deputies from San Francisco wear go tee.

Roddd
06-30-2011, 2:00 PM
I wear black-tees under my uniform shirt everyday.

J_B
06-30-2011, 2:02 PM
I'm not sure if it's Davis PD or UC Davis that allows wearing of more than average facial hair.

I do know Placer County SO allows extra facial hair.

I could care less since I can't grow any....and I'm old enough.

9mmepiphany
06-30-2011, 2:28 PM
I believe it is the University of California PD that allows beards

non sequitur
06-30-2011, 3:36 PM
Our General Orders permitted an officer to wear full facial hair (for men and women ;)) with the following caveat: the facial hair could not interfere with proper sealing pressures along the perimeter of a gas mask and the officer's face.

My agency didn't specifically prohibit facial hair (beards or goatees) but I never saw a single officer (out of 250 sworn) willing to roll the dice on a faulty gas mask seal during an unplanned crowd control deployment... hence, nobody ever grew a beard or goatee (but lots of typical cop mustaches!).

BigDogatPlay
06-30-2011, 4:15 PM
There's a number of agencies up and down the state that will allow a goatee or even a full beard. If memory serves both UC and CSU do. Berkeley does as well last time I checked. State Parks does as I've known a number of rangers who wore full beards over the years.

Chalk me up in the column that thinks goatees look like crap with a uniform. A full, well trimmed beard I can deal. But not goatees, they just look bad to me.

tom2
06-30-2011, 4:30 PM
Berkeley PD, Davis PD, UC Davis PD

RangemasterP226
06-30-2011, 4:32 PM
Facial hair in uniformed assignments? No way.

Looks bad, except for motorcycle guy mustaches.

Ron-Solo
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Goatees look unprofessional in my opinion, as does a wild and willy mustache.

Most people can't wear them well and get a hillbilly look when they try. The "Early Redneck" look has no place on the line.

jgorman
07-01-2011, 2:02 AM
+1 for state parks.

mixicus
07-01-2011, 7:07 AM
Mustaches and sideburns only unless authorized. Investigations are the only ones who get the beard blessing.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-01-2011, 4:48 PM
I will stick with mirrored sunglasses and a toothpick.

TrailerparkTrash
07-01-2011, 7:11 PM
Go tees look like trash. Same with the PD's and SO's in Oregon that allow men to wear an ear ring while in uniform. Totally unprofessional looking.

Notorious
07-01-2011, 7:59 PM
Neat trimmed moustaches only. Nobody I know of down here wears a beard or goatee except in special assignments. One buddy who's now in some special wazoo type of narcotics assignment wears a full on raggly beard that is more fu-man-chu than goatee but it works for him, I guess.

In uniform? I prefer clean shaven, no sideburns, high and tight.

red_star_republic
07-03-2011, 2:33 PM
I wish we could have gotees.

dominic
07-03-2011, 2:38 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/wda0631l.jpg

Notorious
07-03-2011, 3:16 PM
I wish we could have gotees.

Not in uniform. Just don't think it looks right, call me old fashioned.

George Loony
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Berkeley PD, Davis PD, UC Davis PD

ALL moonbat towns.

red_star_republic
07-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Not in uniform. Just don't think it looks right, call me old fashioned.

You want to talk old fashioned type in Civil War Officers in Google Images - Lots of facial hair

Plus I have a hard time shaving every day due to my skin type - pores seep blood if I shave daily and I've tried EVRYTHING (except lazer hair removal).

I had to shave twice a day in the academy. I'd shave at 0500 and have stubble around 1300. Got an electric razor for $250-300 and it sucks.

ironcross
07-04-2011, 12:52 AM
You want to talk old fashioned type in Civil War Officers in Google Images - Lots of facial hair

Plus I have a hard time shaving every day due to my skin type - pores seep blood if I shave daily and I've tried EVRYTHING (except lazer hair removal).

I had to shave twice a day in the academy. I'd shave at 0500 and have stubble around 1300. Got an electric razor for $250-300 and it sucks.

Well I've noticed that the fancy 5 blade razors are no good. Yet the cheapo single blade razors do more good then razor burn. While I need to shave every 2-3 days.

I've noticed my local SD allows sideburns and moustache.

I'd only do the sideburns.

retired
07-04-2011, 1:02 AM
The first time I saw a leo wearing a full beard or goatee, I was watching Cops. It not only surprised me, I also thought it looked unprofessional. I realize different geographical areas, different ways of doing things, but I still believe it looks unprofessional for a leo in uniform to appear that way.

As far as mustaches go, I don't have a problem with that as long as they are kept trimmed. Tho I of course did not have one during the academy, I did the remainder of my career.

Notorious
07-04-2011, 3:29 AM

Old fashioned as in believing a man in uniform should be clean cut, but I recognize that fashions of the day do dictate what constitutes clean cut. In the 70's and 80's, even military haircuts were given some latitude as to acceptable lengths.

I am one of those people who don't really need to shave too often. I have gone a day or two without shaving and nobody will really notice unless they really look. Most of the time they will just ask me if I got some dirt on my chin.

Garand1911
07-05-2011, 4:49 AM
US CBP recently changed their grooming standards to allow beards and goatees.

zfields
07-05-2011, 7:05 PM
Healdsburg PD does, I believe Santa Rosa PD does also.

1-M-42
07-05-2011, 8:16 PM
Davis PD used to....that's one reason I turned them down back in the late 70's...just a bit too liberal for my tastes.

Robidouxs
07-05-2011, 8:35 PM
I have seen US Marshals with facial hair. My only guess is to better blend in with the civilian population.