PDA

View Full Version : Which upper reciever to buy?

Jayrad
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
I am in a quandry over which upper to buy. These are the two I am looking at:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=253994?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc
$466.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=513528?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc
$377.99
I am placing order for myself and family member in a little while...I can't make decision. 1rst one is backordered for a week so would increase shipping. Big quandry is: To have front sight gas block...or rail gas block? Any opinions? Appreciate the input on this forum..

Flyingpootang
06-30-2011, 11:14 AM
For the same money I'd go with a BCM 16" mid and BCG from Bravo Company. DPMS doesn't get all the rave quality reviews from a lot of AR fans..

VacaDuck
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Check out the Palmetto State uppers. They have received good reviews and at $399 are a good buy.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2065.php

762.DEFENSE
06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Check out the Palmetto State uppers. They have received good reviews and at $399 are a good buy.

:iagree: Love mine.

MaHoTex
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Easy one... Gas block rail. You can then put any sight you want. if you do not like it you can easily change it.

CK_32
06-30-2011, 12:23 PM
For the same money I'd go with a BCM 16" mid and BCG from Bravo Company. DPMS doesn't get all the rave quality reviews from a lot of AR fans..

+100000000

BCM is amazing and I love mine.

Darthbauer
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Easy one... Gas block rail. You can then put any sight you want. if you do not like it you can easily change it.

Other than the magpul MBUS.

evidens83
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Spikes, Stag, BCM, Palmetto State....any of these before a DPMS imho....

MaHoTex
06-30-2011, 4:07 PM
Other than the magpul MBUS.

Bwahahaha... Yeah... You saw that thread too... RTFM... :)

Those sights are junk anyway. Troy or YHM or nothing...

IPSICK
06-30-2011, 4:13 PM

I hope they get more 18" stainless steel uppers in stock. That upper had tons of features at a killer price.

tacticalcity
06-30-2011, 4:13 PM
Quality is not the issue with DPMS. It is that specs wise they are on the lower end. 1-9 twist non-coated / non-chrome-lined barrels are the norm with them. Compared to other brands with the same specs they hold their own. Plus those specs actually fit 99.999999999% of shooters perfectly. It is just that we are snobs. We want the Ferarri even though we rarely driver over 85. If you are going to shoot the inexpensive regularly available ammo rather than spend $50+ a box, and you are not going to shoot 5K rounds every singe day then these uppers will serve you just fine.

The pricing is pretty good - scratch that - it is great! Personally I would rather have an M4 contour barrel. Weight wise it would be a cross between the two options you showed so you get the best of both worlds. But if they are charging anything more than $40 more for the M4 profle barrel then stick with these two.

If mounting a red dot, then the first one with the fixed front sight post is better. You don't need to buy a flip-up front sight and you get classic looks. Plus it is advisable to run "sights-up" with a red dot in case it fails (there is some debate on that issue but that is where I fall on it).

If mounting a magnified scope, then the second is better. The front sight post won't glint slighty in your scope. The first one would still work however. It is an extremely minor issue.

If you plan to someday swap out the handguards for an extended length version then the second would better. It might require removing and replacing the gas block, delta ring assemble, and front handguard clamp. In otherwords, a gunsmith. But the end result would look better than if you did the same thing to the first upper with the front sight post because of how they mount those things on there. Personally, I wouldn't go down that road however. Been there done that, still prefer a traditional M4 setup.

The second will be a little lighter, but if you used it on full auto (which you won't actually do) accuracy would suffer as it has a thinner barrel that would heat up faster and point of aim point of impact would shift. But the way you will be shooting it, that won't be an issue.

Other than that, specs are the same.

Between the two, given that I enjoy CQB shooting more than range whoring, I would go with the first upper and add a EoTech red dot scope and a rear flip-up sight (not the Magpul MBUS but something metal like Midwest Industries or if you can afford it Troy).

Jayrad
06-30-2011, 4:14 PM
Thank everyone for the input...ordered from Palmetto State Armory. Looks like a great deal. Did some quick research on them and seem to have positive reviews so far. Can't wait now!
To address the Magpul MBUS...that is the Magpul rear site? Is there a problem with them? Getting ready to order rear site also...
I currently have an Ar-15 consisting of a Bushmaster lower and DPMS 20" bull barell upper....have not had any problems with it. I can shoot 1/2" groupings at 100 yards with it...so I won't knock them. BUt I do understand peoples concern having done extensive reading regarding the different makers.
Thanks VacaDuck for the link to Palmetto!

gun toting monkeyboy
06-30-2011, 4:32 PM

I know I am a bit late with this one, but these DPMS gas blocks are an odd height. They aren't quite as high as the top rail height, and they aren't quite as low as the regular gas block rail height. Don't get me wrong, I have one of the ones with the 16" bull barrel, and I love it. But getting a front sight to line up on it correctly takes some doing. I ended up just using a scope on mine and ommiting BUIS completely. That front rail does work very well for a laser sight as a back-up aiming device. You can keep them in a 1" square at 25 yards with it shooting from the hip.

Here is a link to a thread with pictures of mine...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=329898&highlight=daughter

-Mb