PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Lower Receiver Question(s)

Press Check
06-30-2011, 9:37 AM
Hey Guys,

I decided to build an AR-15, and wanted to see if there was a general concensus on what the best lowers receivers are.

I looked through the entire AR-15 gallery, and there are so many lowers being used that it's hard to narrow down which is the best quality, and has the best overall fit and finish, assuming that there's any substantial difference between lower receivers to begin with.

The same question applies to a lower parts assembly kit, and bullet button.

Thanks in advance. :)

Cen Cal Gunner
06-30-2011, 10:02 AM
One of the most popular brands ar Spikes,Stag,Aero precistion but like you said there are many to choose from

prerunners4life
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Everyone likes spikes..

They are prob your best bet for a nice AR lower

ElvenSoul
06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
They all come out of the same 3 or 4 shops. The rest are just names put on them. Like Mega is really Aero and all that.

dieselpower
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
the one thats in your price range and sitting in the FFLs cabinet when you go to purchase it. :)

First find out what all the Local FFLS have...then choose. No reason to put the cart b4 the horse.

bigred1
06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I use Aero, but that is based on price and that I also use Aero uppers.

It all comes down to beatification: Stag has a dark chalky look, CMMG are moly coated and shiny, Aero, Spikes and even S&W look about the same color wise.

bjl333
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Here's a old thread that might help some. There have been more added to the mix since, but this will give you a good idea! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

Good Luck with your search. I have/had these Lowers and I don't have any complains: Mega, JD, Kaiser, YHM, Spike, Delaware Machine, TM, PlumCrazy, LAR, DoubleStar & maybe a couple more. They are for most part very similar and I have not experienced any lower related failures.

slam128
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
all lowers are pretty much the same as they are produced with a very specific set of specs. I would just get an inexpensive lower and use the rest of your funds on the upper receiver and your accessories.

jdmacl
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
As stated above, they're all pretty similar, it's mostly just the look that differs. I have built on Spike's, which I am very happy with.

As for LPK, I have only used Spike's enhance LPK, which I like for its added features. You do pay for it though.

Sumo99
06-30-2011, 11:07 AM
the one thats in your price range and sitting in the FFLs cabinet when you go to purchase it. :)

First find out what all the Local FFLS have...then choose. No reason to put the cart b4 the horse.
+1. Unless there is a specific logo you like (or dislike).

As for LPK's the major decision is if you want a standard single stage or 2 stage trigger.
I just got 2 standard LPK's from Palmetto State Armory for $43 each. Or you could spend twice as much on a Daniel Defense LPK and get better roll pins :)

Flyingpootang
06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
+1. Unless there is a specific logo you like (or dislike).

As for LPK's the major decision is if you want a standard single stage or 2 stage trigger.
I just got 2 standard LPK's from Palmetto State Armory for $43 each. Or you could spend twice as much on a Daniel Defense LPK and get better roll pins :)

+1 on the roll pins;)

762.DEFENSE
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM

:iagree:

PSA is running a sale on their lowers for about $57 out the door shipped to your FFL. (If price matters to you)

CK_32
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Go mega!

I see them as above most others because they have the gator grip in the mag well. Other than that they are all just logos.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/sportin3s/Firearms/photo6-3.jpg

Press Check
06-30-2011, 3:05 PM
Wow, I was expecting to be chased away for asking such a common question, so my sincere thanks to everyone for the great insight so far!

In all honesty, I'm not looking for a logo as opposed to a mil-spec lower with a nice fit and finish, and I'm definitely trying to steer clear of the chalky, matte-finished lower receivers.

As for the FFL I use, his store-front is not much more than a hole in the wall, and from what I understand he doesn't stock much, if anything these days. I don't have a price range, but $200 for a stripped lower seems reasonable.

I'm going to research all of the suggestions, but in the meantime, what about bullet buttons?

You guys are awesome.

bigdrunk92037
06-30-2011, 3:13 PM
$200 for a stripped lower? It better be a billet upper for that price! Forged lowers (stripped) typically run from $50 on the very, very low end to $100-$125 on average. I guess I am lucky my shop carries a handful of brands with plenty of choices in the $90-$130 range. As others have said, lowers are about the same, but be aware that some lowers and uppers don't play great together. I would recommend buying a upper and lower from the same company so you will be assured the finishes and fit are good.

rareair
06-30-2011, 3:19 PM
There is pretty much only a few choices to make. Do you want a forged or Billet receiver? Once you've decided that, pick one with a roll mark/engraving that suits your taste.