PDA

View Full Version : Alto, TX - No Money for Police

Coded-Dude
06-30-2011, 7:32 AM
Alto, Texas is preparing for a crime wave, after the small East Texas town put its entire police force on furlough, the Wall Street Journal reports today.

In an effort to save money, the city has laid off its police chief and four police officers for six months longer if Alto's finances don't improve.

In the meantime, the county sheriff's department will take over law enforcement duties for the town of 1,200, according to the AP. The sheriff's department is already responsible for policing the nearby city of Wells, which laid off its sole police officer last year.

Alto residents fear that crime will rise in the absence of a local police force. The town's crime rate is already above the state average; there were 66 crimes in Alto last year, according to the WSJ, compared to 51 the previous year.

source - full article (http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-mayor-warns-residents-to-bolt-your-doors-after-city-lays-off-entire-police-force-2011-6#ixzz1Qm1kLeKh)

Its a small police force for a pretty small town, but I wonder how long it will take for larger cities to start doing this as well.

VegasND
06-30-2011, 8:10 AM
I've lived in small towns with no police officers (deputy) living within many miles. A call might take an hour to be answered.

It was pretty safe; no blood in the streets.

I doubt there's going to be a crime wave.

George Loony
07-04-2011, 12:48 AM
I'll bet the Mayor and city council aren't taking any salary cuts...

battleship
07-04-2011, 1:32 AM
2nd that.

TURNKEY13
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
They prob dont live in the city either!