PDA

View Full Version : New DIY Modification to MagazineBlocks.com PMAG 10/20

sunborder
06-29-2011, 10:59 PM
While converting PMAG 10/20 kits I bought recently to CA legal magazines, I stumbled upon a way to permanently affix the magazine block to the floorplate using the pre-drilled hole in the floorplate. This negates the need to use massive amounts of epoxy on them or have the head of a pop-rivet sticking out the bottom of a hole you drill near the front of the faceplate. It takes about 10 minutes to do and you can epoxy the rivet to your heart's content afterwards if you want without making a sloppy mess (just fill in the hole flush) or having a rivet sticking out of a weird place on your mag.

http://433eros.net/__oneclick_uploads/2011/06/s1060004.JPG http://433eros.net/__oneclick_uploads/2011/06/s1060005.JPG
http://433eros.net/__oneclick_uploads/2011/06/s1060009.JPG http://433eros.net/__oneclick_uploads/2011/06/s1060025.JPG

Link to the description and a few more pics:
http://433eros.net/pmag-pics

I needed a convenient spot to host the pictures, so I threw it on an old blog I was using for developing an RPG. Please ignore the rest of that site.

sunborder
06-30-2011, 4:48 PM
Note: I am not saying you need to epoxy. I am saying that if you feel the need (as many here do), then it will eliminate a lot of the mess.

proclone1
06-30-2011, 7:10 PM
I've actually got a few Magpul 20rd-Rebuildkits (+ magpul 10rd-limiters) on order, and really searched hard to see what the general consensus was about epoxy/rivet'ing the limiter to the floorplate. Personally, I really REALLY don't want to have to do anything with epoxy/rivet, and I wondered if people felt the same way. Basically, if I put the 10rd limiter in, there's zero chance of 11+ rounds going in the magazine. If LE sees me at the range and demands to inspect the magazines, in order to fit 11rds in there, he'd have to disassemble the magazine and remove the limiter, then Reassemble the magazine; won't HE have been the one to "manufacture" an illegal hi-cap magazine?? Where is my thinking wrong there? (seriously, I'm all for being educated and I want to obey the law, but my patience grows tired in the face of so much FUD and so many horror stories regarding LE-not-in-the-know who go after EBR's)

I'm sorry if the above scenario has been answered before, I've read Librarian's excellent magazine thread and looked at a few others on Calguns, but nothing ever really satisfied that question for me.

EDIT: ALSO: In case it's just the smart thing to do to epoxy/rivet, does anyone know where to buy replacement pmag floorplates? I've googled, gone on magpul.com, etc, but all I can ever find are the ranger plates (which at $15 for 3 plates, are not exactly a smokin' deal) and I prefer the flat look of the regular floorplates. I'd be much more inclined to mess with my mags if I knew I could cheaply replace the modified parts if I ever move out of the state, or the fine people behind this forum defeat the heinous laws here.

sunborder
07-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I imagine Magpul can set you up with some if you email them and explain the situation. I can't imagine needing more unless you move out of state or need to do major maintenance to your mag.

Also, did 2 posts just magically disappear from this thread regarding epoxy?

shark92651
07-01-2011, 6:09 AM
I have a box full of those locking plates, never thought there would be a use for them. If you can get to RifleGear in Fountain Valley I can let you have some.

proclone1
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Big thanks to Riflegear, they seriously hooked me up! I had to go there anyways to pickup on a PPT after the 13-day wait (bad luck to have the 24th hour of the 10th day occur an hour after closing on saturday, and then have 4th of july weekend add a few more days lol)
and were super, super helpful and friendly.

thanks!!

de1911
07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I think the problem is magpul's website explicit states that these are not for permanent modification and does not make them legal in 10 round states. I think that reason alone necessitates the need for further modification to make them legal. http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG281/22

I am a little surprised that they don't make 10/20 and 10/30 mags, CA is a big enough market that it would be worth their while.

pch_331
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
A nice thing about the Magpul 10 round limiter for the Pmag20 is that they're manufactured with a hole that matches the floor plates for a simple pop rivet. Simple enough to remove the rivet if needed.

Quite some online retailers had Magpul factory 10/20 Pmags (MAG236) listed for some time now, but remains on backorder, so not sure if its vaporware, something Magpul had intended to release, or is still slated for release.

CHS
07-06-2011, 1:37 PM
I've actually got a few Magpul 20rd-Rebuildkits (+ magpul 10rd-limiters) on order, and really searched hard to see what the general consensus was about epoxy/rivet'ing the limiter to the floorplate. Personally, I really REALLY don't want to have to do anything with epoxy/rivet, and I wondered if people felt the same way. Basically, if I put the 10rd limiter in, there's zero chance of 11+ rounds going in the magazine. If LE sees me at the range and demands to inspect the magazines, in order to fit 11rds in there, he'd have to disassemble the magazine and remove the limiter, then Reassemble the magazine; won't HE have been the one to "manufacture" an illegal hi-cap magazine?? Where is my thinking wrong there? (seriously, I'm all for being educated and I want to obey the law, but my patience grows tired in the face of so much FUD and so many horror stories regarding LE-not-in-the-know who go after EBR's)

The law defines what a large-capacity magazine is. It includes large-capacity magazines that have been modified to hold 10 rounds or less, UNLESS the modification is permanent.

So basically:

You buy 30rd PMAG parts kit
You put together that parts kit, including a limiter block so that it holds 10 rounds only
Congratulations, you have manufactured a large-capacity magazine, even though it holds only 10 rounds.

Or:

You put together that parts kit, including a limiter block so that it holds 10 rounds only
You do your diligence and make the limiter permanent by epoxying it to the body and driving a rivet into it holding the floor plate on.
Congratulations, you have manufactured a legal 10rd magazine

sunborder
07-06-2011, 4:13 PM
The law defines what a large-capacity magazine is. It includes large-capacity magazines that have been modified to hold 10 rounds or less, UNLESS the modification is permanent.

So basically:
Congratulations, you have manufactured a large-capacity magazine, even though it holds only 10 rounds.

Or:
You do your diligence and make the limiter permanent by epoxying it to the body and driving a rivet into it holding the floor plate on.
Congratulations, you have manufactured a legal 10rd magazine

The grey area on that is the epoxy. I have no intention of being a test case, but it IS a grey area until tested in court...kind of like the bullet button.

In any case, my intention was to provide information on how to modify the mag limiter (or baseplate, as I have been calling it), to make the riveting portion much cleaner-looking (externally) with this type of mag limiter, and provide for drilling out the rivet at a later time if legalities or moving out of state permit. I hope someone finds that part helpful, whatever they do with it later.

dieselpower
07-06-2011, 5:49 PM
The gray area on that is the epoxy. I have no intention of being a test case, but it IS a gray area until tested in court...kind of like the bullet button.

In any case, my intention was to provide information on how to modify the mag limiter (or baseplate, as I have been calling it), to make the riveting portion much cleaner-looking (externally) with this type of mag limiter, and provide for drilling out the rivet at a later time if legalities or moving out of state permit. I hope someone finds that part helpful, whatever they do with it later.

there is only a gray area on epoxy in the eyes of a few people who have not read the law and what the DOJ has stated.

The rest of the people are firm in their beliefs, its clear as day to them. Those people are in two camps.

side A- none needed (and those posts get deleted)
side B- epoxy and / or welding needed, which is what people are allowed to read here.

Its too bad some people believe gun owners are too stupid to make their own mind up by hearing both sides.

I support Calguns.net policy to censor my view on this since it is their website. Its just a shame censorship trumps free debate when the issue is not clear cut.

WiKDMoNKY
07-06-2011, 6:50 PM
I just did the exact same thing with my Magblock 10/30 blocks. Except I drilled my hole in the front (not through the thicker plastic base of the block) and pop riveted it with a 1/8x1/4 aluminum rivet. I tested it by beating on it and banging it on the ground/dropping it and it would not break. I used a small electric screw driver with a 1/8 drill bit on it and it easily drills out the head in 2 seconds. I just colored over the rivet with a black sharpie and it is small enough that the magazine can stand up without any wobble.

My 2 cents...

While converting PMAG 10/20 kits I bought recently to CA legal magazines, I stumbled upon a way to permanently affix the magazine block to the floorplate using the pre-drilled hole in the floorplate. This negates the need to use massive amounts of epoxy on them or have the head of a pop-rivet sticking out the bottom of a hole you drill near the front of the faceplate. It takes about 10 minutes to do and you can epoxy the rivet to your heart's content afterwards if you want without making a sloppy mess (just fill in the hole flush) or having a rivet sticking out of a weird place on your mag.

pc_load_letter
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Ha ha, couldn't agree more. Was looking at threads that I had posted in and saw that a post I made about the permancy of rivets\epoxy was sumarily deleted.

I find that quite odd and sad really when posts like "what up nigga" can be left alone in other threads.

Never the less, nothing is permanent and I agree wholeheartedly with Dieselpower.

there is only a gray area on epoxy in the eyes of a few people who have not read the law and what the DOJ has stated.

The rest of the people are firm in their beliefs, its clear as day to them. Those people are in two camps.

side B- epoxy and / or welding needed, which is what people are allowed to read here.

Its too bad some people believe gun owners are too stupid to make their own mind up by hearing both sides.

I support Calguns.net policy to censor my view on this since it is their website. Its just a shame censorship trumps free debate when the issue is not clear cut.

Bug Splat
07-07-2011, 3:48 PM

SIDE A RULES!!!! :mnl:

fuenstock
07-07-2011, 9:27 PM
I've been installing roll pins on my Pmags to pin the base to the mag body. Very simple and clean, to remove just push the pin into the mag until it releases the mag floor plate. I'm using 5/64 x 3/8" roll pins from th hardware store. Rivets are good, this is just another way of doing it.
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt131/fuenstock/05e862a1.jpg

proclone1
07-08-2011, 5:14 PM
CHS: ahhh thank you, that makes it perfectly clear for me now! I will do my due diligence & epoxy/rivet. Fuenstock, that looks super clean, I might go that route for the "rivet" part.

JOHNNYRAMBO
07-14-2011, 2:19 PM
Or you can purchase them from someone who specializes in this sort of thing.

I have modified well over 10k Pmags in the past 4 years of business and counting....