PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand

flak88mm
06-29-2011, 8:47 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site and would like some feedback on this rifle. I am currently starting a savings for this rifle since it will cost around 800-900 dollars.

My question is, while I save, I want to know what things to look for to get the best out of my money in that price range. I am particularly interested in buying one with all matching serial numbers and manufactured in wwii years.

Anyone have advice on what I should be looking for as far as quality of gun, tear and wear, stock condition, etc,

The CMP seems to have good prices but there are parts on the garand that have been upgraded through out the years. I want one that is a decent shooter with all original parts and serial number.

I have window shopped at gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

SanPedroShooter
06-29-2011, 8:51 PM
If your not buying from the CMP, you are really missing out. This is the "golden age" of CMP Garands.

Youre talking about buying a WWII Garand with all matching parts, serials and a good shooter for 8/900 bucks? Does such a thing even exist?

Get a beautiful 600 dollar service grade and shoot the hell out of it. Thats my advice. I am getting one every year untill they run out, which according to Orest, should be a couple years from now.

Also check the C&R forum on this site and the CMP forum.

Sailormilan2
06-29-2011, 8:53 PM
Your best bet is to get a Service Grade from the CMP and request a WW2 rifle. That would mean a Springfield with a serial number under about 3.8 million, or any Winchester. But Winchesters, and their parts, command a premium.
It may have been upgraded, but you can always search out various dealers and online places for the proper parts. Remember, most parts are coded, and with the proper books you can find the proper numbers for your Garand's serial number.
More than likely, if you find one with all the proper parts in your price range, you will be getting exactly what someone else has done.
A true "correct" WW2 would be almost a collector item, and quite possibly out of your price range.
I have restored several WW2 Garands to "proper" or "almost proper". It really isn't hard. But the biggest issue is finding a good, WW2 barrel.

mala in se
06-29-2011, 8:53 PM
all original parts and matching serial numbers is near impossible to find without significantly going up in your price range. i would just go through CMP. i bought a service grade for a li'l over $600 and saying it shoots "decent" is an understatement.

SanPedroShooter
06-29-2011, 8:55 PM
The barrel on mine was -1 (thats what the tag said) ME and 3TE. Well within Army spec. Almost unfired.

jaysponger
06-29-2011, 8:57 PM
+1 on what was already mentioned. I ordered mine 9 years ago, service grade when it was only 500 bucks. Great rifle and if buying from CMP you are sure it is the original not some copy from china.:)

mauser98k
06-29-2011, 8:59 PM
I am particularly interested in buying one with all matching serial numbers and manufactured in wwii years.

for an all original one, you will not pay less than $1300

BDH
06-29-2011, 9:39 PM
The advice above is spot on. The only "serial" number on the rifle is on the top of the receiver rear. You have to remember, most Garands were rebuilt at the arsenal level or parts added at various armorer echelons during their "military" career. Certainly there are numbers on the bolt, op rod, receiver and other parts, they represent various steel or heat lots, series, or revisions of the Garand parts. It is costly to restore a Garand.

Go to the CMP web site http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm and read everything. Then go to sales and read the section on the Garand sales. They have a wealth of information about competition, military rifles, auctions etc.

There are other places to look. Keep in mind, many rifles for sale come with a story. Believe the rifle, not the story. There are also many books on the subject as well as the journals of the Garand Collector's Association. http://www.thegca.org/. The GCA offers membership and it is an excellent resource for information. You will have to be a member of a CMP-affiliated club or group to purchase an M1 from the CMP.

In closing, if you want a "collector's" grade rifle, save up MORE $$$$. If you want a shooter with some history behind it, buy a service grade rifle from CMP. You can also call them and talk with them...they are very helpful.

Bruce

Full Clip
06-30-2011, 1:13 AM

Big difference between a "rifle" and a "collectable."

popeye4
06-30-2011, 9:57 AM
Make your first one a CMP service grade Garand. You won't regret it, especially if you want to shoot it.

Javi
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow, thanks for the mention of CMP. I thought all Garands HAD to be $1000-2000

flak88mm
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
I saw all the requirements to obtain a garand from the cmp but it's too much work. I've been shooting rifles for 2 yrs now I own a mosin nagant 9130 and a german mauser 98k and have a c&r license. Do I really have to take part in a markmanship program? Do they sell to c&r licensees? Can I go to an outdoor range and have the rangemaster qualify me through a statement?

RugerNo1
06-30-2011, 1:09 PM
I saw all the requirements to obtain a garand from the cmp but it's too much work. I've been shooting rifles for 2 yrs now I own a mosin nagant 9130 and a german mauser 98k and have a c&r license. Do I really have to take part in a markmanship program? Do they sell to c&r licensees? Can I go to an outdoor range and have the rangemaster qualify me through a statement?

A range master can sign off a form that you print off the CMP website. However, I think the C&R license gets you out of doing some of the other stuff (cannot remember).

After you mail it all in, they will take your money and send a rifle right to your doorstep (albeit after 35-45 days), no 10 wait or FFL required.

I saw all the requirements to obtain a garand from the cmp but it's too much work.

After you factor in the money you are saving and knowing the quality of the piece you are getting, it really is not.

popeye4
06-30-2011, 2:33 PM

Too much work? It really isn't much at all, especially considering you will get a quality rifle, delivered to your door by Fed Ex, for several hundred less than what you'd pay on the open market. No 4473, no DROS, no CA waiting period.

C&R doesn't show up as satisfying any of the criteria on the CMP web site: http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm. Also, CRPA satisfies the requirement to be in a CMP-affiliated organization. And once you complete these minor tasks, you are good to go for 3 years. It is still probably less effort than driving to the gun store twice (except for shooting, but that should be fun anyways).

RugerNo1
06-30-2011, 3:11 PM
C&R doesn't show up as satisfying any of the criteria on the CMP web site: http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm.

Directly from your link:

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

•Current or past military service.

•Current or past law enforcement service

•Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).

•Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

•Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.

•Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.

•Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

•Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf

I have been told, by someone whom I believe, that the C&R fulfills this requirement. But, having an RO fill out this form (http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf) is easier if not.

SanPedroShooter
06-30-2011, 3:26 PM
Join the CRPA. With your FFL your in.

Or you could enlist... Thats what I did, and my Garand was worth it.

popeye4
06-30-2011, 3:43 PM
Directly from your link:

I have been told, by someone whom I believe, that the C&R fulfills this requirement. But, having an RO fill out this form (http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf) is easier if not.

Hmmm, I looked right at it and didn't see it. I need a vacation.....

Bhobbs
06-30-2011, 3:46 PM
IMO if you want a shooter, don't get an original, collector grade Garand. Get a service grade that you won't mind shooting or possibly scratching or dropping. I got a HRA for $700 and figured out it was mostly HRA parts but a few minor parts were changed. I shoot it and enjoy it. I would be too nervous with a mint M1.

ejhc11
06-30-2011, 3:50 PM

Its not too much work - just join the GCA - Garand Collector's Association, you pay a yearly fee and they even send your membership qualification to CMP. After that just follow up on the paperwork to order from the CMP then wait 30 days for your rifle.

Here is the link - easy as hell
http://www.thegca.org/membership

My Finn M-39 and my service grade $595 HRA Garand (1.5 for both ME/TE)
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/M1Garand.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy
06-30-2011, 3:54 PM
I used my C&R to get one earlier this month from them. The only thing that took me any more time than filling out a form was going out to have one thing notorized for $10. Now that all of that information is on file, I won't have to do it again. It cost me just over $600 to get them to send me a basically new M1. If you want a shooter, go with the H&R instead of the SA. They tend to be in better shape according to many of the Garand nuts online. Mine came with brand new CMP wood, and looks like it may have been re-parked. Do I care? Hell no. I opened up the case and found a 55 year old rifle that looks like it just came out of the arsenal wrapping. I will be ordering more of these as soon as I can. They are a steal at this price.

-Mb

Blood Ocean
06-30-2011, 3:58 PM
The CMP is by far the only gubbmit program worth keeping, and it's a miracle it hasn't been targeted thus far. Get everything you can afford and consider it part of your retirement, i you want collector grade they have that, if you want shooter (service) grade they have that, if you want M1 Carbines, 1917 Enfields, 1903 springfields you MISSED IT. They're gone and not expecting more anytime soon.

flak88mm
07-02-2011, 8:09 AM
Its not too much work - just join the GCA - Garand Collector's Association, you pay a yearly fee and they even send your membership qualification to CMP. After that just follow up on the paperwork to order from the CMP then wait 30 days for your rifle.

Here is the link - easy as hell
http://www.thegca.org/membership

My Finn M-39 and my service grade $595 HRA Garand (1.5 for both ME/TE)
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/M1Garand.jpg

So if I join the gca.org, I don't have to take part in any rifle match but still be approved by CMP to buy their garands?

flak88mm
07-02-2011, 8:16 AM
Join the CRPA. With your FFL your in.

Or you could enlist... Thats what I did, and my Garand was worth it.

How long do I have to be a member of CRPA before I am qualified to CMP? Do I have to be involved in any kind of shooting or markmanship activity with CRPA before I get qualified?

kendog4570
07-02-2011, 8:54 AM
So if I join the gca.org, I don't have to take part in any rifle match but still be approved by CMP to buy their garands?

Jeez, whats the big deal??
Shoot a match or two (or a couple hundred). You don't know what you're missing.

RugerNo1
07-02-2011, 1:01 PM
...But, having an RO fill out this form (http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf) is easier if not.

You do not have to shoot a match if you do not want to. Just have a Range Master fill out the above form.

flak88mm
07-03-2011, 8:54 PM
Just want to thank you all for answering my concerns and questions. One more question, there is an upcoming clinic at Castaic, CA on July 17, I have to attend that one to have a RO fill out the form. Do I just go to this event and have an RO fill out the form? Its being sponsored by Burbank Pistol Range.

CK_32
07-03-2011, 8:59 PM

Thats what I was thinking I was like uhhh last time I checked they were around $1200 to $1500 on the norm.

Vanguard
07-04-2011, 2:34 AM
I got a special grade Garand from the CMP and it's my favorite rifle. Beautiful rifle. I love that gun. I mean it...I'd sleep with it if I thought my wife wouldn't object. :D

flak88mm
07-04-2011, 6:50 AM
Would it be a good idea, let's say if I didn't want to wait so long, to go to a gun show and if someone was selling a garand and says its service grade, to buy it?

Maggotman
07-04-2011, 7:07 AM
Gun shows are hit and miss..mostly miss and you can really be taken for an expensive ride. Unless you are an expert on Garands DO NOT BUY AT GUNSHOW:) Good luck with your search. The CMP is the way to go.

MM

kendog4570
07-04-2011, 9:17 AM
Gun shows are hit and miss..mostly miss and you can really be taken for an expensive ride. Unless you are an expert on Garands DO NOT BUY AT GUNSHOW:) Good luck with your search. The CMP is the way to go.

MM

OP, this is really, really, really good advice.
Where else can you buy a WW2 or Korean War era battle rifle for a reasonable price, and also have the equivalent of a manufacturers warranty? If the CMP accidently ships you a turd, they are there to make it right, and they will.

flak88mm
07-04-2011, 9:46 AM
Ok, i will take your guy's advice. CMP it is. Thanks very much

kendog4570
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Go ahead and try the clinic you mentioned in a previous post. It may seem a little intimidating at first if you are new, but you will be exposed to dimensions of rifle shooting that will never be had just blasting at tin cans or shooting it off a bench.
The best way to really enjoy an M1 is to try and wear it out!

RugerNo1
07-04-2011, 10:34 AM
The best way to really enjoy an M1 is to try and wear it out!

And then, if it was already just a parts gun, send it to DGRguns (http://dgrguns.com/) and have them make it even purtier or restore it to how it would have looked right off the assembly line in the 1940s.

Personally, my M1 is in need of a new barrel (very bad throat erosion) and I want it to look like this. (http://dgrguns.com/New-M1-Garand-Package-Deal-Extra-Fancy-Details.htm)

cr042202
07-04-2011, 10:35 AM
+1 on the CMP service grade...thats they way to go...I have a ww2 all matching garand that I pieced together and it took me almost 2 years of looking all over the internet and probably 3 different states of gun show finds...and it cost WAY OVER $$$$800-1000

kendog4570
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Personally, my M1 is in need of a new barrel (very bad throat erosion) and I want it to look like this. (http://dgrguns.com/New-M1-Garand-Package-Deal-Extra-Fancy-Details.htm)

I can take care of your barreling and metal finish needs. Approx same pricing, and same quality as Deans (I get my Criterions from him). 20+ years experience US Service rifles, Licensed and Insured. Quick turn around.
Let me know if I can help.
Ken

RugerNo1
07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I can take care of your barreling and metal finish needs. Approx same pricing, and same quality as Deans (I get my Criterions from him). 20+ years experience US Service rifles, Licensed and Insured. Quick turn around.
Let me know if I can help.
Ken

Well, I may be interested. I did not know you were a resident expert! I will keep you in mind when I have money again since I just bought something really $$$.:D

kendog4570
07-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Well, I may be interested. I did not know you were a resident expert!

No Name Calling!!:)
Actually, I am smithing full time these days, due in part to the Obama "trickle-up poverty plan". The regular line of work dried up.
Please check the "friends" section at my CalGuns home page for references.
Ken

RugerNo1
07-04-2011, 11:29 AM
:thumbsup:

PM inbound

rstbkt69
07-04-2011, 3:33 PM
The laast SA new in wrap went for 6100.00 on auction on CMP. keep saving

flak88mm
07-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm looking at the ODCMP website and notice that under service grade, all the winchesters are sold out. Is there something about the winchesters as compared to the springfields and the H&Rs that's making it sell out ?

shooterdave
07-08-2011, 12:44 AM
winchesters are desireable for being name brand even though winchester m1's are usually very roughly made with lots of tool marks.

Wrangler John
07-08-2011, 5:27 AM
I obtained one from the Department of the Army, Civilian Marksmanship Office, back in 1984. At that time the cost was $165.00. The invoice itemized cost of the rifle at $94.30, Packing and Handling $11.90, Shipping $15.76, Inspection, Rehab & Storage $30.04, Administrative Cost $13.00, I kept the paper work for a historical record. It was purchased from FAO, Rock Island Arsenal. They were purchased directly from the U.S. Army Armament, Munitions and Chemical Command then.

What I received was a Service Grade w/OE Springfield MI serial No. 645,xxx. The stock is well used, looks like it was dragged over every stone wall, hedgerow and cobbled street in Europe, and then maybe carried on in Korea. New barrel, new TRW bolt, new hand guard, shoots well enough. I wouldn't trade it for anything, only wish it could talk.

I highly recommend taking the steps to obtain a bit of history, when they are gone you'll never be able to buy a rifle from the government, even a quasi-governmental agency, again. Now if we could get those 800,000 Garands the Koreans have in storage - well.

SofaGeorge
07-10-2011, 8:52 PM
I highly recommend taking the steps to obtain a bit of history, when they are gone you'll never be able to buy a rifle from the government, even a quasi-governmental agency, again. Now if we could get those 800,000 Garands the Koreans have in storage - well.

When those Korean M1s get bought (when we get our next Republican President) I'm going to buy 3-4 of them. We will never have an opportunity like that again.

kendog4570
07-10-2011, 9:28 PM
I obtained one from the Department of the Army, Civilian Marksmanship Office, back in 1984. At that time the cost was $165.00. The invoice itemized cost of the rifle at $94.30, Packing and Handling $11.90, Shipping $15.76, Inspection, Rehab & Storage $30.04, Administrative Cost $13.00, I kept the paper work for a historical record. It was purchased from FAO, Rock Island Arsenal. They were purchased directly from the U.S. Army Armament, Munitions and Chemical Command then.

What I received was a Service Grade w/OE Springfield MI serial No. 645,xxx. The stock is well used, looks like it was dragged over every stone wall, hedgerow and cobbled street in Europe, and then maybe carried on in Korea. New barrel, new TRW bolt, new hand guard, shoots well enough. I wouldn't trade it for anything, only wish it could talk.

Mine shipped from the DCM/Anniston in 1989. Same general condition and pricing. SA 300000 range with all kinds of replaced stuff. Receiver had original finish, worn quite thin.

Back then it was something like a 10 month or longer wait.

I wish your TRW bolt could talk.

Sicilian
07-11-2011, 3:02 AM
What a load of information. I had no idea that the CMP offered these for such a great deal. Now I have to add another rifle to my "to buy" list (and add another caliber to my collection).

I wish I had a copy of my old hunter safety certificate. It looks like that satisfies a requirement if the class included range time (which it did).

Thanks for all of the info guys! This is a great site. I need to start donating :)

Flintlock Tom
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Just want to thank you all for answering my concerns and questions. One more question, there is an upcoming clinic at Castaic, CA on July 17, I have to attend that one to have a RO fill out the form. Do I just go to this event and have an RO fill out the form? Its being sponsored by Burbank Pistol Range.
You don't need to get that form filled out. Your 03FFL satisfies the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement.

flak88mm
07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I read somewhere in the CMP application form that you can wave your marksmanship activity by owning a C&R license, and I do carry one. Can someone confirm this?

This is what it says "Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:" and one of the options says "FFL or C&R License"

Not to say that I'm trying to skip a marksmanship activity, I just want to get my garand ASAP and take it to the range.

CSDGuy
07-13-2011, 12:07 AM
If you have an 03 FFL you have met the marksmanship participation requirement. If you have one, you are good to go...

flak88mm
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
So I'm looking at the CMP website and only the HRA and Springfields are available. Im not going to wait until 2012 for a Winchester. So which out of both existing is better service grade wise? My money to buy the garand is almost there ... can't wait

flak88mm
07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
sent in my paperwork today and payment to cmp can't wait....

ejhc11
07-23-2011, 1:51 AM

That is correct. And, the GCA membership starts from now to Sept. It satisfies the part for requirement for shooting matches. The best part the GCA can send that info directly to CMP. Its only $25 a year and you receive a really informative bi-monthly magazine all about M1 Garands. Really worth it, just renewed my membership and it only takes a week or two for them to send the info to the CMP. They're really quick.

Good luck...!

flak88mm
07-24-2011, 6:07 PM
Would you guys ever consider buying a replica of an M1 garand bayonet on ebay? I was looking at that ebay ad and was wondering if I should get it, but I want to hear your guys' opinions. Is the material (the steel specified) durable? It's stainless steel and the finish is black, is there any chance that the color will peel off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-M1-Garand-Style-Bayonet-Dagger-Locking-New-L-/110654106582#vi-content

popeye4
07-25-2011, 12:27 PM
So I'm looking at the CMP website and only the HRA and Springfields are available. Im not going to wait until 2012 for a Winchester. So which out of both existing is better service grade wise? My money to buy the garand is almost there ... can't wait

I don't think it matters, you'll get a nice gun either way. My first one (that I got from DCM in '95) is a WWII era Springfield that was arsenal refinished in 1963 (date on the barrel). New parkerizing, new barrel, I don't think it ever saw service after that. The second one I got (in 2008) is a Korean War era HRA that is also excellent, though I don't think it was rebuilt. They are both definitely shooters. I also purchased the new CMP stock for each, as the wood that came with them was butt-ugly (though I kept both stocks).

The Winchesters are a little different, but not better. In many ways, they aren't as nice, as for some reason collectors want them and have driven up the price. If you don't have the compelling burn for a Winchester, get one of the other ones, you'll have a lot of fun with it. Also, if you aren't a hard core collector, don't worry about whether the parts have been swapped. My guess is there aren't any readily available Garands that haven't had a part (or three) replaced at some point. They were the primary issue battle rifle of WWII and Korea, got a lot of use, and parts broke and were replaced. The guns still shoot well.

popeye4
07-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Would you guys ever consider buying a replica of an M1 garand bayonet on ebay? I was looking at that ebay ad and was wondering if I should get it, but I want to hear your guys' opinions. Is the material (the steel specified) durable? It's stainless steel and the finish is black, is there any chance that the color will peel off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-M1-Garand-Style-Bayonet-Dagger-Locking-New-L-/110654106582#vi-content

Why? Again, CMP sells bayonets.....

flak88mm
08-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Yes you're right, CMP does sell bayonets but not the 16" blades. I already received mine thru ebay, not a bad reproduction

Eljay
08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
They have a couple of thousand 16" bayonets they'll be selling sometime in the next little while - a month or two perhaps.

flak88mm
08-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Good news, I mailed out my money order to CMP on 7/22/11 and got a notice from Fedex that I will get my rifle on 8/8/11, my god I'm so excited, can't wait! CMP came thru with my C&R license

flak88mm
08-07-2011, 4:29 PM
Anybody in here know of a website that sells good quality 8 rd en blocs for the garand? I've seen so many but would like to hear it from the garand owners.

Also, any website selling bargain non-corrosive bulk ammo non steel core?

RugerNo1
08-07-2011, 4:57 PM
Ammo I cannot help you with (check the CMP), but clips are easy to find. One of the better deals I have seen are 20 for $19.99. Not bad at all.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/garand.aspx

flak88mm
08-07-2011, 5:55 PM
Ammo I cannot help you with (check the CMP), but clips are easy to find. One of the better deals I have seen are 20 for $19.99. Not bad at all.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/garand.aspx

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered some.

flak88mm
08-09-2011, 5:09 PM
I have a question for all you garand owners. I just got mine from CMP yesterday by fedex and noticed that on the receiver, the top cover is at an angle when in a fully closed position. But I see photos and videos on youtube of the top cover being straight flat when in a closed position. I have also seen photos of it like mine also. Do any of you know what this is about?

nukechaser
08-09-2011, 7:53 PM
Not to detract from joining CPRA (please do so!), but participating in an Appleseed shoot will not only improve your rifle marksmanship (and is a really fun time), but you can join the RWVA (Appleseed parent organization) for $20 and satisfy the CMP-affiliation as well as the course-of-fire/safety requirement for purchasing from the CMP.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

flak88mm
08-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Not to detract from joining CPRA (please do so!), but participating in an Appleseed shoot will not only improve your rifle marksmanship (and is a really fun time), but you can join the RWVA (Appleseed parent organization) for $20 and satisfy the CMP-affiliation as well as the course-of-fire/safety requirement for purchasing from the CMP.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

I already have the rifle, im planning on shooting it at a local outdoor range this sun. Just waiting on my clips to arrive and stopping by at the local ammo shop to buy some 30-06

i'll post some photos soon of my collection.

Milsurp Collector
08-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a question for all you garand owners. I just got mine from CMP yesterday by fedex and noticed that on the receiver, the top cover is at an angle when in a fully closed position. But I see photos and videos on youtube of the top cover being straight flat when in a closed position. I have also seen photos of it like mine also. Do any of you know what this is about?

What do you mean by "the top cover"? There is no top cover. Do you mean the bolt? If you are talking about the bolt it should be at an angle when closed.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/milsurp_collector/CMP%20Birch/1401b887.jpg

Also, please look at this so you don't hurt yourself http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5122147&postcount=60

flak88mm
08-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah that's how it looks. Thanks for confirming, now I feel better, I thought it was a defect

flak88mm
08-11-2011, 8:19 AM
I've been practicing on my garand on getting used to pushing down the ejector and then cocking the hammer so I know how to avoid the dreaded garand thumb. Is this a bad thing? Can it damage the parts if I keep doing this? I've also been practicing this using the clips.

Bhobbs
08-11-2011, 8:51 AM
I've been practicing on my garand on getting used to pushing down the ejector and then cocking the hammer so I know how to avoid the dreaded garand thumb. Is this a bad thing? Can it damage the parts if I keep doing this? I've also been practicing this using the clips.

It's not going to hurt it. If that would damage the rifle then shooting it would destroy it. The forces during firing are much greater than what you can do to it.

GV7LgkIjfc8

Here's a video I made to help some friend with loading his M1. Maybe it will help you.

Orlando
08-11-2011, 4:21 PM
It is impossible to get the so called Garand Thumb while loading enblocs. Your thumb cant get caught as the round is being pushed into the chanmber and there is nowhere for your thumb to get caught.
People get Garand Thumb when playing around with a unloaded rifle with the bolt retracted back

flak88mm
08-12-2011, 9:24 PM
Anybody in here have a good link on reloading? And also what's an economical equipment I can buy to do reloads? (I dont want anything expensive)

I also own a k98 and a mosin 91/30 and would like to start getting into reloads

flak88mm
08-12-2011, 9:25 PM
It's not going to hurt it. If that would damage the rifle then shooting it would destroy it. The forces during firing are much greater than what you can do to it.

GV7LgkIjfc8

Here's a video I made to help some friend with loading his M1. Maybe it will help you.

Good Post! Thanx