View Full Version : got distracted by the GF W/ Guns... about my AR build

06-29-2011, 6:07 PM
so i have been doing my homework for a couple months now about different products, uppers & lowers, stuff to do with the law but now i have question that i cant seem to find an answer to and i hope you all can help. from my understanding that the lower is the only part that is DROSd... right now i own 2 pistols(both 9mm) and 1 rifle (.22lr) and i do not remember if there was a difference between the paperwork filled out. i know i had to have a HSC for the handguns but nothing for my .22. so my questions is... when i get my lower does it have to be complete or stripped and does it get DROSd as a rifle? what is the difference? i will be building my AR15 16" so i would assume as a rifle, but i dont want to assume, i want to know for sure. im 99% sure im going with a JD lower from all the great reviews i have read about, and they are located in the same general area i am in. im not to sure about my upper, but ill have questions about that in another thread. thank you in advance.

06-29-2011, 6:09 PM
You lower will be DROS as "other". No HSC card or 2nd prove of resident needed.

06-30-2011, 4:02 PM
My lower was DROSed as a long gun.

06-30-2011, 4:45 PM
Can't see the GF distracting part.

06-30-2011, 5:46 PM
DROS is for long gun. Only the lower receiver is DROSed.

Be careful about the JD lowers. I have one currently on the 10 day wait, but I've since heard some bad things about them from local gunsmiths and shops. If there is stippling on the front of the magwell, you may have a doorstop (pins don't align), and there are rumors that they are going to lose their firearms license (bribery scandal for mil. contracts?), so they can't make it right by you if you try to return it to the manufacturer.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has 2 rifles built on JD lowers that work just fine.

06-30-2011, 7:17 PM
thanks for all the information guys and the heads up on the lowers. all i have heard is great things about JD, this is the first time i have heard of anything negative. keep me posted on your lower when you get it. thanks again