PDA

View Full Version : New R700 sps owner with build advise and general questions

jmh625
06-29-2011, 4:21 PM
I purchased a r700 sps last weekend with a 20 inch barrel. I am super excited and doing alot of research on this rifle. Since most of the funds saved went to buying the rifle I am left with about $400 to spend on a scope, rings and base. Now I have never shot a rifle in my life so getting so-so products at this point isnt a big deal to me as I have a long road to reaching my goal of shooting 1000+ yards. My first question is to see what you guys think of my scope set up? I broke it down to Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 with illuminated mil-dot, Millett Picatinny Rail short action rail, and a pair of Millett high 30mm High Matte Tactical w/Accessory Rail. How does this setup sound? Its not the $1000+ dollar scope like most would recommend, but I believe it will be fine with the distance I will be shooting(unless others believe other wise). From looking around, Nor Cal only has a few 100+ yard shooting ranges, and the Sac range you have to qualify to shoot the 1000 yard target. If anyone knows of anything closer the the Bay Area besides Circle range (which has the 100, 200 and 300) please let me know. I am not to thrilled having to drive 2 plus hours up north just to shoot lol.

Next I have soem question about just owning the rifle. Can some please recommend me a good cleaning kit. I have tried doing some searches that leave me with dead end answers, and there are so many kits that I have no idea on what direction to go. Figured someone on here can lead me in the right dorection. As far as cleaning the rifle goes I can most likely find how to do that via the interenet unless someone canprovide a ling for me.

Lastly I have a question regaurding CA and its gun law. Recently my Dad was released from prison and is living with me. I am wondering if I am braking in laws by having him live with me and my owning the rifle. I do not own a safe, but I did purchase a gun locker that has a key lock. I also installed to hinges with master locks just for extra security. He and I are worried that this may cause some conflict. He is not currently on parol either if that matters.

Thank you for helping me and sorry for the long thread.

JOEY

God Bless The Mauser
06-29-2011, 4:28 PM
What caliber did you get? Is it just a regular SPS or heavy barreled? If you want a scope in the sub $1000 range check out the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. They are the best your going to get for the price. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx
Just DO NOT cheap out on a scope. You get what you pay for with optics, I learned that the hard way...

For a cleaning rod go with a one piece preferably carbon fiber coated and get a bore guide for it so you don't mess up the throat. More rifles are damaged by over/improper cleaning than no cleaning at all.

bjl333
06-29-2011, 4:36 PM
I like the sound of your setup!! I don't think there is a SET fomula to a good boom stick. There are the established brands of scopes and there are lower line scope. Again I think with your budget you are on the right path.

Someone else willchime in on your dad's situration!

jmh625
06-29-2011, 4:38 PM
Its the sps tach with heavy barrel, and maybe I wored things wrong. My budget for scope rings and rail is $400. Something in the $1000 range is not something I can swing right now. I know cheap scopes are not the best thing to get, but for just over $400 I can get the scope, rings and rail. Like mentioned I have no shooting experiance, so just getting sometime behind the rifle is what I am looking to do. Once I out grow the millett I will move up to something that will better suit my shooting skills.

jmh625
06-29-2011, 4:39 PM
Oh and sorry I forgot to mention its a .308 caliber.

jmh625
06-29-2011, 4:41 PM
I like the sound of your setup!! I don't think there is a SET fomula to a good boom stick. There are the established brands of scopes and there are lower line scope. Again I think with your budget you are on the right path.

Someone else willchime in on your dad's situration!

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I have been researching for months! Figured I would look at every possible choice and I kept going back to the millett. Reviews dont seem bad, and it has some bells and whistles to it that are appealing. Figured I would get a parts list then bring it here and see what others thought befor I press the buy bottom haha.

Jonathan Doe
06-29-2011, 4:43 PM
I have a SPS Tactical in 308 with Bushnell 3200 Elite tactical 10X w/ mildot. I just worked on the trigger and set it at 2 1/2 lbs. It will do for me.

For cleaning, I use 1 piece coated rod with brass jags. Use Kroil for solvent and Remington 40X bore cleaner to take out copper build up in the barrel. Works very well for me and keep my rifles as top preformers.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/Guns/DSC_0014Large.jpg

jmh625
06-29-2011, 4:45 PM
What caliber did you get? Is it just a regular SPS or heavy barreled? If you want a scope in the sub $1000 range check out the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. They are the best your going to get for the price. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx
Just DO NOT cheap out on a scope. You get what you pay for with optics, I learned that the hard way...

For a cleaning rod go with a one piece preferably carbon fiber coated and get a bore guide for it so you don't mess up the throat. More rifles are damaged by over/improper cleaning than no cleaning at all.

Do you have a product name for the rod and bore guide?

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-29-2011, 4:45 PM
I think you have the right target area with the scope and ring set up.

YOU DONT NEED TO SPEND $1000 on a scope to shot paper and steel for fun. Ive got a basic Nikon Buckmaster, leupold rings, and a 20moa base9really nice feature to have for 1000yd shots0 and i can still get 1/2moa at times with enough patience.

As for the cleaning kit. do you have any other firearms?
i have the otis cleaning kit. it does my 22, 9mm, 45acp, 308, 223 and 12gauge all in one package.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=otis+cleaning+kit&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kO6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1067&bih=515&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3788341792181605852&sa=X&ei=ccgLTumTKKr10gGi98V0&ved=0CHoQ8wIwCA

or if you only want one for your 308 you can buy a specific kit for just that. but that kit covers basically the common calibers most people run into.

jmh625
06-29-2011, 4:48 PM
I think you have the right target area with the scope and ring set up.

YOU DONT NEED TO SPEND $1000 on a scope to shot paper and steel for fun. Ive got a basic Nikon Buckmaster, leupold rings, and a 20moa base9really nice feature to have for 1000yd shots0 and i can still get 1/2moa at times with enough patience.

I notice you have a 20 moa base. I saw that as one of Milletts options for its bases. They also just have one listed that doesnt mention anything about moa. Can you explain this to me casue the websites dont go into detail on this option?

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-29-2011, 4:59 PM
it basically adds some MOA adjustment into your scope. a 20moa(they also make 15, and 10MOA bases as well) base is slightly canted downwards. If you plan on shooting longer ranges, prob 600+ you will want some base with angle built in.

at longer ranges some scopes will not have enough adjustment to put the crosshair on the target, so you would have to use some kentucky windage to hit the target. the cant in the base(20moa, 10moa, 15moa and etc) just provides some extra adjustment.

im trying to find a good picture of what im talking about. so much easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=357181
if you look at the rail towards the left part of the screen. you will notice that the material below the notches is narrower than of that towards the right part of your screen. that is the 20MOA angle.

CK_32
06-29-2011, 5:04 PM
Do you have a product name for the rod and bore guide?

Go Dewey cleaning rod and brass jig and brush.

I have a SPS Tactical in 308 with Bushnell 3200 Elite tactical 10X w/ mildot. I just worked on the trigger and set it at 2 1/2 lbs. It will do for me.

For cleaning, I use 1 piece coated rod with brass jags. Use Kroil for solvent and Remington 40X bore cleaner to take out copper build up in the barrel. Works very well for me and keep my rifles as top preformers.

Agree go bushnell 3200 elite tac. I would say spend your $400 on the scope then spend later. Your scope is as important as your rifle. I have a bushnell and am very pleased I have the elite tac 5 - 15x.. I love the adjustable zoom idk what I'd do with out it because I shoot from 100 to 800 yards everytime I go out and being stuck on 10 would kill me. Even at 800 yards I have to drop down to 5x to pick up my target again.

A lot of people reccoment SS SWFA scopes. My cousin had 3 of the of the $400 ones and each either had adjustment problems or the reticle moved. So I stay away. The bushnell I have has done it for me I bight it for a temp scope until I could get a night force but that scope is there to stay now. Saving the NF for my next build.

CK_32
06-29-2011, 5:10 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/sportin3s/Firearms/vsdvvdvsd.jpg

My sps tac budget build. $1200 build.

I have some videos of it on my YouTube channel in my link.

jmh625
06-29-2011, 5:49 PM
it basically adds some MOA adjustment into your scope. a 20moa(they also make 15, and 10MOA bases as well) base is slightly canted downwards. If you plan on shooting longer ranges, prob 600+ you will want some base with angle built in.

at longer ranges some scopes will not have enough adjustment to put the crosshair on the target, so you would have to use some kentucky windage to hit the target. the cant in the base(20moa, 10moa, 15moa and etc) just provides some extra adjustment.

im trying to find a good picture of what im talking about. so much easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=357181
if you look at the rail towards the left part of the screen. you will notice that the material below the notches is narrower than of that towards the right part of your screen. that is the 20MOA angle.

Hey thanks that definitely clear things up for me.

winxp_man
06-29-2011, 6:04 PM
You do the right stuff to a SPS Tac and it will be a damn accurate rifle. I was able to get my groups down in the 1/4" groups and a 550 yard group at 2.52".

beretta929mm
06-29-2011, 7:34 PM
Where did you buy your rifle from? I would like to purchase the same rifle.