View Full Version : Mossberg 930 vs SPX

06-29-2011, 4:02 PM
I want to pick up a shotgun in the near future. May want to try my hand at competing at some point, so I was considering a semi-auto. The 930 seemed to be the best bet at a price I can afford. And I like the idea of a LOT of lead. :)

My question is, should I get the basic 930 and upgrade parts as I go, or is it worth spending the extra cash at the get go for the SPX?

I don't know yet if I want a breecher grip or full stock. I see advantages of both.

I don't think I really need a "keep away barrel". Is that what they're calling the pokey bits?

I can add ghost rings later.

I like the idea of spreading out small amounts of money. But does it end up being that much more expensive? Can I turn a standard 930 into a decent home defense/tactical/(competition?) gun w/o breaking the bank and involving a gunsmith? Has anyone already done this?

06-29-2011, 4:12 PM
If you plan on competing at all you need to read through this thread.

Mossburg 930 (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115843)

Not sure what a breecher grip is but because of the way the safety is mounted on the top the pistol grip is not advantageous. No ports or compensation is allowed on shotguns afaik.

06-29-2011, 6:07 PM
My buddy has the SPX. It shoots about 99% as sweet as another buddys M4 for way less $$.
As soon as I shot his, it made my list...Sweet gun.
Just thinkin out loud.

06-29-2011, 8:44 PM
I don't know yet if I want a breecher grip or full stock. I see advantages of both.

Many semi-auto shotguns, the 930 included, do not allow use of pistol grip only...the so called "breacher grip". The bolt in a 930 recoils against a mainspring assembly in the stock, so a full stock is required. If you want a pistol grip only gun, buy a pump.

I don't think I really need a "keep away barrel". Is that what they're calling the pokey bits?

By keep away barrel, I take it you mean a stand off or "breacher" tube at the muzzle. My opinion only, but if you aren't breaching barriers / doors for a living as in .mil or LEA applications, you really don't need it. Sure it looks cool, but you don't have a use for it and all it does in the end is add unnecessary weight.

Again... my opinion, YMMV.

In most cases, if you add parts as you go, you'll spend more money than you would have buying a 930 SPX instead of a 930.

One other opinion... again, YMMV, but I personally don't like semi-autos for HD. I've given it a lot of thought over many years, and for HD I'd take a pump first, and just about any other shotgun second, before I would take any semi-auto. Great for run and gun games, particularly 3 gun, for sure. But I think they present a number of issues with storage and deployment that a pump solves nicely.

06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Great info! Lots of food for thought. Thanks guys!

06-30-2011, 9:38 AM
Wow. What was I smoking when I made my first post?

I was specifically looking at the 930 Special Purpose - Home Security. (85320) Not one of the field models. :)

I knew there were recoil parts that went into the stock. I have no idea why I thought I could use a plain pistol grip. Duh! Guess I got too excited.
But I could swap out the standard stock for a full stock w/ pistol grip, add a mag extension, ghost ring and front site (maybe?), and heat shield.

But doing some more reading, I hear the sites on the SPX Tactical model (85370) are almost worth the extra price, just by themselves. So maybe it is worth holding off and saving up a little more.

Yes, "stand off". That's what I meant. "Keep away"? Really? :)
And that's what I was thinking. Do I want to pay (in money or weight) for a feature I'll never use? Yes, it looks kinda cool, but meh, I can do w/o.

I don't mind spending more if it means getting what I want and not having to front the full load. I have something to practice with sooner instead of looking at the cash sitting in my bank and the picture pined to my wall. But I'm impatient like that.

Yeah, for the longest time, I wouldn't even look at semi autos. It was pump all the way. But prices seemed to have come down and quality seems to have come up. I've been hearing good things about the 930. I'm sure at some point I'll get a pump as well. (Kel-tec KSG?) And if I thought HD were a great concern for me, reliability would be higher on my list. But we live in a safe area and kind of tucked away. While anything is possible (and I want to be as prepared as possible), HD isn't very probable for me. (thank the stars) So while I do want to consider it and prepare for it, it's not at the top of my list. The 930 wouldn't totally suck for HD, right? I'll at least get one shot off?

Again, guys, thanks for your comments.

06-30-2011, 9:52 AM
I personally prefer a pump shotgun such as Moss 500 or 590. At Big 5, you can get a Moss 500 with two barrels for $269 just about every other week. Still much less than 930. You can compete with it. If you find you actually like competing, then you can get a semi. Clay shooting is lots of fun by the way.

06-30-2011, 5:59 PM
A member of Shotgun World, has a Mossberg 930, he has shot over 30,000 rounds and had no problems, so far.

Search YouTube for The Dovenator, the guy shot 16,575 rounds and shot 15,802 Doves, in 14 hours.:cool2:

PETA was nowhere to be found.

Capt Jack
06-30-2011, 6:08 PM
I've got the 930 HS combo model that came with both the 28" and 18" barrels and I can tell you its a great gun. It was about $500 from Bud's and I've since added a nordic +2 extension and invested in a ton of bird and buck shot to keep her fed. I like the ability to bust some clays with it and then going home, converting and stashing her back in the safe to wait for the zombies.

I did a write up on it, just search around for my posts. Here she is, just cause I like her so much!

Clay buster by day....

Zombie Blaster by night! :43:

07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
If you shoot slugs a lot and need the peep sights, the SPX is a good deal. Make sure the front sight post is not canted as some of the older production runs ended up like that. But I'd go with the (2) barrel combo like Capt Jack. I don't like the SPX tube (Choate) extension which is OK, but a Nordic or DMW is a lot better.

A Mossberg is NOT a Benelli. It's bit more rough and sometimes needs some parts clean up to run.

07-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Have you taken a look at the FN Police Shotgun?

07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm glad to read all the good feedback about the 930 SPX. I just picked mine up yesterday and I'm ready to clean it the first time in a few minutes. I can't wait to take it out...

07-03-2011, 9:57 AM
I was pretty impressed with how it's made. Disassembly/reassembly was a piece of cake with nice beefy parts. The only nit is the way the bolt handle comes out. Just pull it straight out. (With a fair amount of pressure) I like the new knurled knob bolt handle.

It's easy to get the back of your fingers snagged on the slide release button when cycling the bolt. It's also knurled with somewhat sharp edges.

I like how easy it is to empty shells from the magazine by pressing the bolt release.

I know it's been debated to death, but I'm agnostic as to the position of the safety. The 870's works better if you have a pistol grip, otherwise it's just different, not better or worse.

Overall impressed and I can't wait to take it to the range in a few weeks.