PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a paid member....

xenophobe
12-28-2006, 10:24 AM
So get the software set up! :p

vBulletin has membership stuff automated! Get to it please... 1000 message PM box, special members forums, and a little graphic saying "supporting member" or some nonsense...

And I'm sure you could use the help paying for servers and bandwidth! ;)

paradox
12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
And I don't want CalGuns to turn into a cliqueified forum like ar15.com. I like everyone being on the same playing field. I like quietly donating just because it is the right thing to do and not for any benifits or bragging rights.

I vote for continuing as we are with the added suggestion to Kestryll to not feel shy about putting out a fundraising call whenever needed.

SemiAutoSam
12-28-2006, 11:42 AM
DITTO +100

And I don't want CalGuns to turn into a cliqueified forum like ar15.com. I like everyone being on the same playing field. I like quietly donating just because it is the right thing to do and not for any benifits or bragging rights.

I vote for continuing as we are with the added suggestion to Kestryll to not feel shy about putting out a fundraising call whenever needed.

pnkssbtz
12-28-2006, 1:06 PM
I too like the paid member, but I don't want a "special forum" for paid members as it creates a seniority complications.

pacificcoast
12-28-2006, 1:22 PM
And I don't want CalGuns to turn into a cliqueified forum like ar15.com.

I don't want a "special forum" for paid members as it creates a seniority complications.

it already exists :rolleyes:

paradox
12-28-2006, 1:37 PM

No need to make things worse though...

blkA4alb
12-28-2006, 1:53 PM
How so?

ivanimal
12-28-2006, 1:59 PM
How so?

Yes do tell.:cool: :rolleyes:

C-pher
12-29-2006, 5:47 AM
I don't know...

We have a paid memebership over at our board... And it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Really, the only thing that we do in our secret forum is plan things like Member only dinners and Group buys. No one seems to think that they are better...but that's us.

And really, so far what I've seen over here is this group of folks is a lot like ours...so I think that you all could handle it.

And, Derek is paying for NES on his own. So really all we're doing is offsetting the cost...

I'm not saying that it's right for this board...just saying how it works on ours.

Also, all our mods are really good about not letting people get out of hand like they can are AR15 and such...

m1371
12-29-2006, 7:02 PM

Concur 100%.

Some other options for thought:

- continue with the anonymous donations

- do an annual fundraiser

- run a raffle from time to time, using either an item "donated" by a member or purchased using the raffle funds themselves

- open up an "industry sales" section so folks like CWS, 10% or other verified vendors can run ads for certain items and/or sales they've got

- have the option for people selling stuff to donate a percentage of the final sale price to the board

There are plenty of other ways to support CalGuns financially rather than selling exclusive memberships.

dreppucci007
12-29-2006, 7:40 PM
Also, all our mods are really good about not letting people get out of hand like they can are AR15 and such...

Thanks buddy...we try ;)

One of the main reasons that Derek started NES was because he was sick and tired of the bull**** on AR15.com, and he wanted to start a respectable forum. I don't know how long you guys have been up and running, but we'll be 2 years old the end of February, and we have grown into a phenominal forum. I can't say it's 100% BS-free, but like C-pher said...Myself and the other Mods do our damndest to keep things under control.

As for the "Paid Membership" thing...It started when we upgraded from an older forum to the new VBulletin software. We don't do advertisments, so the burden of the bandwidth was completely on Derek. Truthfully, it's only $19/year (you know it isn't much $$$), and local dealers have the option of a "Dealer Membership" for $49/year that allows them to post special sales, etc. It has nothing to do with a hierarchy of who's better than who. Like you mentioned, if Kestryll needed more $$$ to help run the forum, you'd give it to him, right?...Well, instead of having to ask for it (or him potentially being shy about asking for it), people are able to donate a few bucks to the cause when they want, and in return they are an "NES Member."

The NES Member forum has become a forum for setting up group events that we keep for NES Members. We've had a few so far, including trips to Red Sox games, a pumpkin shoot, a car shoot (yes, really), group buys (we've had a couple and are working on a big one as we speak ;))and just getting together to have dinner and drinks and hang out.

Ok, now I'm blabbing...It's Kestryll's forum, and I'm IN NO WAY trying to push this, but what I'm trying to say is that we've been doing it for almost a year now, and it HAS NOT compromised NES' integrity. I'll stop blabbing...It's been a LONG day.