PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 FCP-K HELP!!!

anthonyr31
06-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm in the process of getting my first precision rifle. So far, I have decided to get the Savage 10 FCP-K over the 700 SPS. I know I want to change the stock, but to what I'm not sure. This is where you folks come in. I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to spend extra money for a stock that does nothing for the rifle. I like the looks of the AICS, JAE700 (I was told they have plans to make stocks for Savage), McMillan A5, and the Choate Tactical Custom stock, but am coming up with nothing when trying to find a before/after shot grouping with these stocks in comparison to the standard stock.

Changing out the stock will be done at a later time, as I plan on shooting with the standard stock to get familiarized with the rifle first. I know the JAE stock is probably a few years out and AICS is rumored to have a Savage line out some time. Again, I do not have a problem waiting. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Choate Tactical Custom ($450)
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt119/anthonyr31/ChoateRight.jpg

scamp62
06-29-2011, 1:51 PM
I have a Choate Tactical on my FCP-K, and can highly recommend it, it settles in so much better then the Tupperware that it comes with, I did a skim coat bedding job on it.
As far as before and after, will I would say it has been a definite improvement in my groups and the fact that you don’t have to fiddle around with the “Accu-wedge” witch is hit or miss affair is a plus !.

anthonyr31
06-29-2011, 2:14 PM
Thanks for the reply scamp62. I'm a neanderthal when it comes to bolt action rifles. Other than shooting them, I have not taken one apart or have done any "tweaking" to one as this will be my first. Can swapping out the stock be done by a half retard like myself? If so, what "fine tuning" can I do or look out for when installing the new stock? I'm kind of leaning towards the Choate stock as pictured on my OP. I would love to see a picture of your setup!

X-NewYawker
06-29-2011, 3:03 PM
Check out the Bell & Carlson stock

anthonyr31
06-30-2011, 8:17 AM
Check out the Bell & Carlson stock
Too bad Bell & Carlson doesn't have the cheek riser and adjustable butt pad for the Savage as they do for the 700. I will have to add this to my list of potential replacements. I know the replacement stocks I listed are all from reputable companies, but I read a review from a dealer where they reported that the AccuStock outperformed a 10FP with the McMillan a5 stock. I know it's just one review, but it's also the only one I can find that compared an aftermarket stock with the factory stock. Again, any and all help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Iloveguns
06-30-2011, 8:52 AM
Any of the higher end stocks will be the same as far as accuracy goes. What you really need to do is get behind them to see if you like the ergonomics of them. The Choates are a lot heavier then others if you are even thinking about that. Look into Manners as well as McMillan's. Top notch stuff. Accuracy difference between stock and after market will be highly noticeable. If you really want to find out more info and get behind a bunch of different models come out to one of our Matches if you can make it up. Follow the link and you can find a lot of good info on the subject and getting into this type of shooting.

http://www.caprc.com/forums/index.php

anthonyr31
07-05-2011, 9:44 AM
Is the FTE issue with this rifle as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

FMJBT
07-05-2011, 8:32 PM
Is the FTE issue with this rifle as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

If you run the bolt pretty hard, the extractors on the Savage are prone to failure. Remingtons also have this problem, and in my experience tend to have issues with the extractors more often than Savages do. For the most part, these failures will show up during competition style shooting, where bolt manipulation is done as quickly as possible. During most normal range shooting it shouldn't be an issue.

locosway
07-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Why not just order it with a McMillan or HS Precision stock right from Savage?

anthonyr31
07-06-2011, 9:42 AM
Why not just order it with a McMillan or HS Precision stock right from Savage?

I was thinking about it, but the 10FCP-K comes with the fluted barrel and muzzle brake, and the McMillan stock that Savage is offering doesn't have the adjustable cheek rest and butt pad that I am looking for.

locosway
07-06-2011, 9:43 AM
I was thinking about it, but the 10FCP-K comes with the fluted barrel and muzzle brake, and the McMillan stock that Savage is offering doesn't have the adjustable cheek rest and butt pad that I am looking for.

I'd probably compare a Rem 700 against a customized Savage as well. You might find that the 700 gives you what you want for cheaper in the end. Or, you could have a gunsmith build you a Savage since they do sell their actions.