PDA

View Full Version : Who enjoys a side by side?

runway1
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
What model do you shoot and what are they used for these days? Any good for clay shooting?

I just love their look and was considering picking up a lower end model (<$600) so inputs would be appreciated! What's the best SXS for about $600 or less?

robcoe
06-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I own one, an old winchester 10ga coach gun, no idea on the exact model since it's way older than I am(I think it's from the 50s).

Cant really speak for the longer barrel side by side shotguns, but in a coach gun CZ makes a very nice one, if you can find it used or on a good sale it should be under $600, I expect their other SXS shotguns are equally nice..

Thefeeder
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Sure you can use it for clays

Keep in mind that most clay ranges have a minimum barrel length.

Look for some thing with removable choke and 26" or longer barrels, 28+ are even better. A SxS has a very short reciever and even sxs with 30" barrels will have the same overall length of a pump with 24" barrels or there abouts.

In your price range I would look for a used CZ. Under 600 is a bit low and not much to choose from.

Myself, the only SxS that makes it to the field these days is my Browning BSS.

I would recommend at least shouldering any gun your thinking of buy and if possible shoot some clays with it.

Remember fit is key in a field shotgun

redrex
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
CZ also makes a good full size SxS, the BobWhite. New it's around $650 but you might be able to get one used for under $500

I have their O/U Redhead and I'm very happy with it. Of course I just got it soooooo that goes without saying sort of.

bjl333
06-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeap, you can shoot clays with a SxS. I shoot a CZ410 and 20ga. The SxSs are a little hard to get use to in the beginning. The width of the barrels will throw you off. They are fun though!!

runway1
06-29-2011, 1:45 PM
Good suggestions. Wow, that BSS is expensive. I'll struggle to stay away. Thanks all.

runway1
06-29-2011, 1:51 PM
Do all the CZs have double triggers?

Super Spy
06-29-2011, 1:53 PM
I have a C&R Husqvarna model 50 that I enjoy shooting clays with. It's an old gun not rated for MAX loads but it's fine with lighter loads. I had it reamed for 2 3/4 shells after checking that it was safe, and it's fine as long as I stay to 2 3/4 dram and 1 oz max loads. It's nice and light and points well. I only use this for Cowboy Action Shooting and Clays so low powered loads aren't an issue. I'm not great at Clays but I do shoot my old SxS better than my 11-87. Obviously it has fixed chokes due to the vintage of the gun.

POWG
06-29-2011, 2:06 PM
Absolutely you can shoot a SxS at clays!

Please understand ...one is not necessarily handicapped in any game by the "style" of the gun. Instead, a perceived "handicap" with most any gun is more reasonably attributed to a lack of familiarity with the gun, than the gun itself.

POWG will however acknowledge that a SxS equipped with "excessively short barrels" can prove challenging in maintaining "pace & line with the target". The threshold for short is 28" and I have but one, being my 16 gauge Winchester Model 21 - with which I will never part.

Most everyone will find the "dynamics" of a SxS to be quite different from that of an O/U, Auto or Pump. Even lower price point SxS's have a certain "racey" quality about them and tend to handle/point quickly; similar to driving a Ferrari or dating a super-model!

It is also a reality that "back in the day" the purpose of a SxS was to shoot "flushing" game and therefore they were designed to shoot a bit bit high. Another design reality is that they "torque" differently during recoil, which is in part the reason front trigger fires the right barrel, traditionally a more open choke and the back trigger fires the left, tighter choked barrel. Nothing here however to be viewed as a "handicap", rather simply a great reason to engage in some consistent, quality practice.

POWG will be accompanied by his favorite SxS at the Shotgun Clinics to be conducted on July 10 & August 13th ...and is out.

bjl333
06-29-2011, 2:12 PM

Some single, some double.

redrex
06-29-2011, 2:20 PM

No, but the ones with single triggers are out of the given price range.

If you want to consider an O/U you can get a CZ Canvasback for Under $600 and a Mallard w/double triggers for under $500

runway1
06-29-2011, 2:29 PM
No, but the ones with single triggers are out of the given price range.

If you want to consider an O/U you can get a CZ Canvasback for Under $600 and a Mallard w/double triggers for under $500

I have a pricey O/U (Beretta Silver Pigeon) that I just love. This would be a nostalgic type gun that I would shoot for the simple grin factor:). I'll use my SP when I'm more serious:chris:

I found some CZ Ringnecks in the $600 range - maybe a little more.

advocatusdiaboli
06-29-2011, 3:19 PM
Sure, sometimes I hold my O/U's sideways just so I can obscure my sight picture as I swing for nostalgia's sake—there is a reason most competitors use O/Us and not SxS. Seriously though, I think most of us would shoot just as well and there are very cool in a nostalgic sort of way thanks to Hollywood and traditional. I don't think any European bird hunter ever starved because he had a SxS. i'd get one but the CFO (Chief Family Officer) has said no more shotguns for a while.

NDFMF
06-29-2011, 3:31 PM
Stoeger Industries has a good selection of affordable SXS shotguns. My brother has one of their coach guns and they are absolutely a riot to shoot.

Coach Guns:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php

Bird/Trap Guns:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_uplander.php

Even Home Defense!!:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

I believe all of those are under $600, and they seem to be very well made. Plenty of finish options too if you care what they look like.

Lagduf
06-29-2011, 3:42 PM
I have a LeFever Nitro Special 12 Gauge SxS shotgun with 30" barrels.

It's quite old and I don't shoot it anymore. I'll have to pull it out and check the serial number on it as I believe I can determine the date of manufacture from that.

I like my 870 but man is the receiver looooong. Wouldn't mind an O/U for clays.

hcbr
06-29-2011, 4:01 PM
I love my stoeger sxs coach gun 20" hehe ;)

$nake-Eye$
06-29-2011, 4:51 PM
Never had one, never shot one, but if a SxS is good enough for Elmer Fudd, why not?

runway1
06-29-2011, 6:40 PM
Never had one, never shot one, but if a SxS is good enough for Elmer Fudd, why not?

Don't forget Jethro, Grandma and my childhood favorite - Ellie Mae:D:D

runway1
06-29-2011, 6:46 PM
Stoeger Industries has a good selection of affordable SXS shotguns. My brother has one of their coach guns and they are absolutely a riot to shoot.

Coach Guns:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php

Bird/Trap Guns:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_uplander.php

Even Home Defense!!:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

I believe all of those are under $600, and they seem to be very well made. Plenty of finish options too if you care what they look like.

I like those, very nice. I would look at the 28", single triggers myself. Thanks!

pyro3k2
06-29-2011, 6:47 PM
My 20ga SxS runs and shoots like a champ and its awesome at clays.

BigDogatPlay
06-29-2011, 8:49 PM
I think the better title for the thread would be who doesn't enjoy a SxS. :)

A treasured place in my safe is held by my dad's L.C. Smith double, choked Modified and Full. It's probably closer to a hundred years old than it is fifty and it'll shoot low base shells all day long, but I rarely can bring myself to shoot it anymore. It means too much to me to take out and knock around.

A CZ SxS or a Stoeger are both very appealing to me.

gobler
06-29-2011, 9:27 PM
What is the function/reason for the single vs double trigger on the SxS coach?

BigDogatPlay
06-30-2011, 9:21 AM
What is the function/reason for the single vs double trigger on the SxS coach?

If the gun is choked differently between the two barrels, such as one Modified and one IC, and if the single trigger is not selective as to which barrel goes first, then a double trigger allows the shooter to choose which barrel to shoot first. Match the constriction to the requirement of the shot.

Probably less of an issue on a coach gun than it would be on a fowling piece. A single trigger also eliminates the ability to discharge both barrels simultaneously, something everyone with a double trigger gun always seems to want to do at least once.

The rest of it is, IMO, style. My Stoeger had a double trigger and it worked just fine for me.

Wildeman_13
06-30-2011, 9:30 AM
I have a Norinco Model 99 Coach gun in 18" barrel that I have used for clays for fun. Out past about 50 feet it is pretty much pointless so you have to jump on em fast. They do make a 22" (maybe 24" I don't recall off hand) barrel for them that includes a full-choke.

Double trigger on these guys and some people report that you can get a double fire with heavy loads. Basically the recoil/force of the first shell going off causes the hammer to drop on the second barrel/shell. I have yet to have mine do this, but it is a possibility according to some.

Overall I like my Model 99 for what it is and I didn't spend a whole lot on it and don't expect a whole lot from it, and I am never let down. :)

POWG
06-30-2011, 9:15 PM
POWG cannot resist ...Who does not remember fondly Ellie Mae.

Blond, blue eyes ...better stop at "not too bright".

The good ol` days Ellie Mae, Jeannie, Samantha & MaryAnn!

Eye candy for POWG in his early years.

OUT!

jimmykan
06-30-2011, 9:29 PM
I'm selling my TTN Model 1878 SxS Exposed-Hammer Coach Shotgun.
I've shot clays with it, but it's not great for that. The drop in comb and heel is too much, and it kicks hard and hurts due to the steel buttplate. :26:
Check out the links in my signature line!

bjl333
06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
What model do you shoot and what are they used for these days? Any good for clay shooting?

I just love their look and was considering picking up a lower end model (<$600) so inputs would be appreciated! What's the best SXS for about $600 or less?

I'll try to remember to bring a 20ga SxS for your clinic.

runway1
07-01-2011, 7:57 AM
I'll try to remember to bring a 20ga SxS for your clinic.

Whoooa, cool. That would be a treat!

runway1
07-01-2011, 7:58 AM
I'm selling my TTN Model 1878 SxS Exposed-Hammer Coach Shotgun.
I've shot clays with it, but it's not great for that. The drop in comb and heel is too much, and it kicks hard and hurts due to the steel buttplate. :26:
Check out the links in my signature line!

That's a very interesting looking gun. Seems more along the collector lines. Very nice to have. I'd keep it myself.

mif_slim
07-01-2011, 8:37 AM
I been itching to get a SxS, bore the chamber, remove the extractor and go claim some steel plates at the cowboy shoots!!

Hilldweller
07-19-2011, 3:35 PM
Have an old 1882 Remington (and sons) s/s, hammered, 12ga with 28" barrels. Was grampa's gun at one time. Took it skeet shooting with my dad when I was 16. Guy at the range looked it up and down and thought it might have damascus (sp?) barrels and advised us to shoot the lightest loads he had. (at our own risk of course)
Shot well for my first time sheet shooting. Hasn't been shot since.

Bearclaw
07-19-2011, 5:36 PM
Ah one of my dream guns....A side by side, double trigger coach gun. :cowboy: I just love the way these things look!!! I've always wanted one but have yet to get one. Just seems like every time i'm in the market for a new gun, I end up buying something a little more "practical". :eek:

Fate
07-19-2011, 5:56 PM
My first shotgun: Stevens 16 gauge. Dad gave it to me when I was 14. It's killed many a pheasant, dove and jackrabbit. It'll be my kid's one day.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_169/223_24/Stev16g_leftside.jpg

frankm
07-19-2011, 8:53 PM
Ah one of my dream guns....A side by side, double trigger coach gun. :cowboy: I just love the way these things look!!! I've always wanted one but have yet to get one. Just seems like every time i'm in the market for a new gun, I end up buying something a little more "practical". :eek:

Lot's of fun when you pull both triggers one-handed! :eek:

Ouch. It freakin' hurt. But it was fun!

MyOdessa
07-19-2011, 10:57 PM
I have Stoger Uplander S/S 20 Ga with 26" barrels with fixed M/IC chokes and double triggers, I have been hunting with it for past 15 yrs. Great gun for pheasants and quails. I am now looking at Winchester Model 23 also in 20 Ga.

Sicarius
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Friend of mine used my Norinco 99 for the richmond hot shots match for kicks. He had a great time and we all got a good laugh. We even coaxed him to say YEHAWWWW a couple times. He got first in the cowboy division... only shooter in the cowboy division too... hehe
Kevin

Bearclaw
07-27-2011, 4:33 PM
So...I stopped into my local gun shop just to pick up some cleaning patches and guess what I saw?? Yup...they had a nice SxS Coach gun up on the rack! So I took a look at it and it was frickin sweet! It's a Stoeger with removable chokes (comes with one CYL and the other MOD), and double trigger. Blued with walnut stock, and recoil pad. The price was $419.99.

I almost bought it right then and there, but figured I'd better do a little research on the price first. So I checked the Stoeger website and the MSRP for this gun is $479.00. Now I'm really planning on getting it! Just wanted to see if any of you have any input on the price. You guys know of any better deals anywhere else?? Is there any reason that I SHOULDN'T get a Stoeger?

Rallyfan
07-27-2011, 5:01 PM
BSS 12ga 3" here, very early example from 1978. Shot very little; used to hold down a shelf.

JagerDog
07-27-2011, 5:14 PM
So...I stopped into my local gun shop just to pick up some cleaning patches and guess what I saw?? Yup...they had a nice SxS Coach gun up on the rack! So I took a look at it and it was frickin sweet! It's a Stoeger with removable chokes (comes with one CYL and the other MOD), and double trigger. Blued with walnut stock, and recoil pad. The price was $419.99.

I almost bought it right then and there, but figured I'd better do a little research on the price first. So I checked the Stoeger website and the MSRP for this gun is $479.00. Now I'm really planning on getting it! Just wanted to see if any of you have any input on the price. You guys know of any better deals anywhere else?? Is there any reason that I SHOULDN'T get a Stoeger?

Grasshopper. I don't trash anyone's hardware, but if you think that was sweeet, you have no appreciation for a bird gun.

Now last time I was at the gun show, a guy had a adulterated (shortened barrels), but quite good condition Parker Bros. THAT, might border on sweeet for a "coach gun".

Because it had been bastardized, he was asking $500 and he still had it at the end of the show.

GMG
07-27-2011, 5:54 PM
The CZ SXS really looks nice!

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/hammer-coach-ss-case-hardened/

GMG
07-27-2011, 6:03 PM

The only thing that turned me off on the Stoeger Coach gun that I saw at Big 5, was the fat forearm. Every thing else seemed very nice.

Bearclaw
07-28-2011, 6:12 AM
Grasshopper. I don't trash anyone's hardware, but if you think that was sweeet, you have no appreciation for a bird gun.

No offense taken JagerDog. But if you read my earlier post in this thread you would see that I said I've always wanted a SxS COACH gun. I have no intention of using this as a bird gun....ever. I already own multiple "bird guns". So I think before you tell me what it is that I appreciate, you should just have a little more basis for making your assumptions. If you don't like a short Coach gun...that's cool. Just don't tell me that I don't have any appreciation for a bird gun just because I like a coach gun. That's kinda like saying "hey...you have no appreciation for cars because you own a truck!" or "hey...you have no appreciation for apples because you packed an orange in your lunch today!"

The only thing that turned me off on the Stoeger Coach gun that I saw at Big 5, was the fat forearm. Every thing else seemed very nice.

I did notice that the fore end on this gun seemed wide. It's called the beavertail fore end. It didn't really bother me though. And I checked out that CZ....very nice! But like double the price of the Stoeger.

Annex138
07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
I have a old(1956) Stevens 311 20ga. That I bought off gunbroker last year for right around $300. It's not fancy but it works for me. Around the same time my dad bought a new stoeger 12ga. uplander. The fit and finish is better on my 311 but the stoeger is still a nice gun for $350. If your looking for a good reliable sxs and don't care if it's pretty, the stoeger can't be beat. My friend has a CZ ringneck 12ga. And it sure is nice but it also cost around $900.

Bearclaw
07-28-2011, 3:39 PM
Yeah that CZ that GMG put the link up for was a really cool SxS. I really liked that it had the external hammer set up. But it was about $900. Way more than I really want to spend for a gun I won't shoot that much. I just really want one because of the Old West look, and for the fun of shooting it. Never actually plan on hunting with it since I already have plenty of guns in the safe to fill that role. I'm planning on going down next week to buy that Stoeger. Can't wait!!! :D

gun toting monkeyboy
07-28-2011, 4:11 PM
I learned how to shoot trap with an old 311 back in college. I have picked up a couple of them since then as they pop up around town. I have used one for CAS since I started that way back when. Now that I have access to gunbroker, I will usually pick up 1-2 SxS guns a year, finances permiting. Look around on there, and you can normally pick up an older one for $100-150. As long as you steer clear of damascus barrels, many of these old guns have lots of life still in them. The last one I got was an oddball model called a Stevens 325. It is odd because they reused that number for one of their rifles, and the shotgun seems to have been completely forgotten. The closest thing I have seen to it was the Stevens 335, but that isn't nearly as cool. This one had been cut down to just a hair over 18", and makes a truly wicked coach gun. With #4 buckshot, the pattern at 15 yards looks like a grenade going off.

-Mb

Newtire
08-18-2011, 6:19 PM
Have a Pieper 10 gauge hammer gun that does real nice on clays using reduced loads with 1-1/4oz shot. Also a nice old original 11 gauge M/L that I like taking up to Los Altos once in awhile. Doubles like these bring back earlier times for me.

theduece
08-18-2011, 7:00 PM
My first gun was a SxS bought it on my 18th bday an old savage, shot quite a few rounds of trap when I got it too. Now its broken at a smith's....

anyone know of a good SxS smith to take this to?

w55
08-18-2011, 7:09 PM
All we had when growing up. I had a Stevens .410, then used my grand mothers LC Smith 20, shot my fathers Parker a few times. My own is a 16 gauge Fox.

I really like older sxs, so smooth imo.

redrex
08-18-2011, 8:04 PM
I just wish there was a cost effective way to add chokes to an older gun. That is the primary reason I'm selling mine. It's nice to look at and all but I really only shoot skeet these days and this is a real bird gun. :(

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2011, 8:17 PM
Back in the 70's and early 80's, I took my share of waterfowl with a Stevens 311. Now, I only own one SxS. It's a 12g frontstuffer.

Abra Philippines
08-18-2011, 8:42 PM
I enjoy side by sides!

I'm used to hearing a DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN.

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2011, 9:00 PM
I enjoy side by sides!

I'm used to hearing a DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN.

But, that would include O/Us. The OP wanted to know about SxSs only.

redrex
08-18-2011, 11:23 PM
What I hate is when I have to switch between my pump and a double barrel.

Either I try to pump my two barrel or I just pull the trigger on my pump twice and nothing happens the second time :) I hates that.

mikey357
10-23-2011, 7:29 AM
I just wish there was a cost effective way to add chokes to an older gun. That is the primary reason I'm selling mine. It's nice to look at and all but I really only shoot skeet these days and this is a real bird gun. :(

The best price I have found for choke tubes came recommended from the forums at Shotgun world.com . There is a guy name Mike Orlens that will put choke tubes for forum members for 35.00. Most everywhere is 90-100