PDA

View Full Version : Ak 47 vs mini 14/30?

Serbian
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a CA neutered AK47. I have had a lot of fun with it but the mag lock annoys me a LOT. So i am thinking of trading it for a mini 14 or 30. Can anyone help me make a decision? A big factor for me is that my AK will take wolf ammo with zero problems. I like wolf ammo because i can get 100 rounds for under 20 bucks. Will the minis take wolf without jamming? And making my Ak featureless is not going to happen.

CBRKURT
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
My Brother in law has a Mini 30 and it does not like Wolf ammo at all. the only stuff we can shoot out of it without a problem is non laquered ammo.

3GunFunShooter
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
For all questions about the Mini 14/30 go to www.perfectunion.com
The forum section is amazing over 140,000 post about the Mini.

rjf
06-29-2011, 10:10 AM
My Mini 14 eats the old Wolf laquer coated .223 without problems (and everything else). 30 round detachable magazine(s). Not scary looking to media and politicans so kittens and puppies are safe.

I have read the ruger Mini 30 is barrelled for .308 diameter bullets and not the standard combloc .310. Which may be a problem. I'm sure someone with experience can elaborate.

tacticalcity
06-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Getting a mini-14 in addition to I can get behind. Selling off the AK and replacing it with a mini-14, not so much.

Sure, the AK is not as much fun as it could be if you could use the magazine release. But you only need to leave the magazine release on while inside California's borders.

So that means you can take those really cool training courses out of state with your AK47 and really learn how to master it (without the bullet button).

Plus, there is nothing to say that the law is going to stay this way. Yes, it is taking a very long time, but some very smart lawyers are working on this issue as we type. If they are successful, the price of AKs is going to go up. So you will regret unloading yours.

In SHTF (no tin foil hat here I'm just saying it to make a point) the last thing you are going to stress over is SB23. I mean, comon if it the appocolypse is on you're not going to leave the bullet button on your rifle. That is not a time to get stuck without an AK. ;)

If you don't like the AK for other reasons, and you feel it didn't live up the hype (like I did) then I can understand selling it. But if you otherwise love it, then selling it because of the bullet button just doesn't make sense to me.

Serbian
06-29-2011, 10:12 AM
cool. So the mini 30 is a no-no. But on that forum i read that the mini 14 will take wolf .223 fine. Any more input?

AirborneStranger
06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I shot a friend's mini-14 that would eat whatever ammo you ran through it. This was on top of him being a total lazyass and never cleaning the thing.

One time we went shooting and he literally had to hit the action with a mallet to get it open from all the caked-up residue making it stick shut. But hey, it ran like a top once we got it to the range, haha.

Serbian
06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Getting a mini-14 in addition to I can get behind. Selling off the AK and replacing it with a mini-14, not so much.

Sure, the AK is not as much fun as it could be if you could use the magazine release. But you only need to leave the magazine release on while inside California's borders.

So that means you can take those really cool training courses out of state with your AK47 and really learn how to master it (without the bullet button).

Plus, there is nothing to say that the law is going to stay this way. Yes, it is taking a very long time, but some very smart lawyers are working on this issue as we type. If they are successful, the price of AKs is going to go up. So you will regret unloading yours.

That said, I am not really an AK guy. I like ARs much more. But I would take an AK over a mini-14 any day of the week.

I know what your saying. I dont like giving up an AK either. I never go out of state any way, so the maglock never comes off. A saiga maybe?

NorCalK9.com
06-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Keep your ak buy a mini14 you will regret later switching from a rifle that is a beast to a rifle for the range.

NorCalK9.com
06-29-2011, 10:52 AM

In SHTF (no tin foil hat here I'm just saying it to make a point) the last thing you are going to stress over is SB23. I mean, comon if it the appocolypse is on you're not going to leave the bullet button on your rifle. That is not a time to get stuck without an AK. ;)

If you don't like the AK for other reasons, and you feel it didn't live up the hype (like I did) then I can understand selling it. But if you otherwise love it, then selling it because of the bullet button just doesn't make sense to me.

PLEASE PLEASE let the law change I Promise To Be GOOD

MrMarco
06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
The Mini 14 is a dependable rifle that will eat just about any type of ammo (both .223 and 5.56) as long as the magazines are quality mags (factory Ruger). There are a lot of nay-sayers out there that will tell you that it's not accurate or dependable, but they usually don't have first hand experience with the rifle and base their statements on things they've heard about older model Minis. The new, 580 series Minis are accurate and very dependable. I think they are worth considering.

Fadedline
06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Check out a Saiga if you're not happy with the mag lock.

SJgunguy24
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/052-1.jpg

Featureless, droppin' 30's all day, handles just about the way an AK should, cheap and plentiful mags.
Any questions? DO NOT give up your AK.

RobGR
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Or get a kydex wrap on the pistol grip of your AK, go featureless, no BB.

Also the Solar Tactical Gen 2 BB is the way to go. I had another BB and it was a POS PITA. The Gen 2 ain't great, but it's a lot easier to manipulate.

smattenson
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know what mag lock your using but mine has a solar tactical and personally I love it. I would naturally rather have no lock but ill just have to wait til I move. I have owned a mini 14 and its a very fun gun to shoot. That being said I wouldn't get rid of the ak for the mini. I agree with the others about just keep yours and save for the mini. Seriously though look at the solar tactical mag lock the mag changes are quick and easy.

gotshotgun?
06-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Featureless, droppin' 30's all day, handles just about the way an AK should, cheap and plentiful mags.

I want that rifle! SJGuy, how much to build?

ZX-10R
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Keep the AK...I refuse to go featureless as it reminds me that I have to mar a rifle because I live in CA. 10 rounds is good. Just buy more magazines...I have ~12 mags for my AK patterns and 6 for my PSL.

resident-shooter
06-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Check out Saiga. AK without the forbidden features. Easily adoptable to take AK mags. Live happy thereafta :)

858casper858
06-29-2011, 1:43 PM
I don't know what mag lock your using but mine has a solar tactical and personally I love it. I would naturally rather have no lock but ill just have to wait til I move. I have owned a mini 14 and its a very fun gun to shoot. That being said I wouldn't get rid of the ak for the mini. I agree with the others about just keep yours and save for the mini. Seriously though look at the solar tactical mag lock the mag changes are quick and easy.

+1 solar tactical gen 2 and a tapco yellow chamber flag wrapped under your thumb, VERY easy to manipulate.

rojocorsa
06-29-2011, 2:18 PM
Go featureless!

Keep the AK...I refuse to go featureless as it reminds me that I have to mar a rifle because I live in CA

What about the Kydex grip thing that goes over...?

techshot
06-29-2011, 2:42 PM
Newer Mini-14's in my exp will chew threw any ammo you put in them. Mini-30's have a tendency to jam with lower priced ammo. Plus trying to find decent mags for a Mini-30 over 10rds that wont jam are damn hard to find, or expensive. Keep the AK and toss the BB when SHTF.

23 Blast
06-29-2011, 4:49 PM
I have owned a Mini 30, I traded it for a Mini 14 when i discovered that the Mini 30 didn't like Russian ammo (which, as we all know, comprises like 90% of the x39 ammo available - and is certainly the cheapest).

I have an Arsenal AK which loves that cheap Russian ammo. Even though the BB irritates me, it's such a robust reliable rifle that I can't see myself selling it.

As far as the Mini 14, I finally got it to the range the other day, and I'm quite impressed. Mine is a newer 580- series model, with the heavier, tapered barrel, and with a low-power scope, I was dancing a bowling pin at 100 yards.

I plan to keep both, but if I had to keep one, I would reluctantly keep the Mini, not because I think it's superior (although scoping it is certainly better than on an AK), but because .223 is more available than x39

jimbos44
06-29-2011, 5:16 PM
my mini-14 eats anything in any order you feed it. Shot the circle out of the bull with my red dot at 50 yds. heavier bullets seem more accurate. Fun to play out to 300yds. inch and a half high at 100yds. dead on at 200 . 8 inches low at 300. More fun than a ar, just because of felt recoil. Used by folsom prison guards should say something. Sorry for ramblin' just luv my mini !:D

Bug Splat
06-29-2011, 6:04 PM
Hate mini's. Buy a Saiga, its one hell of a rifle for an amazing low price, half the cost of a mini. You can even easily convert the 223 models to take AR mags.

robcoe
06-29-2011, 6:48 PM
I would say keep the AK if you can, if for no other reasion than just to have it around.

As for the Mini, I have no experience with the Mini-30, but my stainless mini-14 will eat anything I throw at it, and is at least accurate enough to tag 1/2 gallon plastic bottle at 150 yards.

Capita159
06-29-2011, 6:57 PM
So i am thinking of trading it for a mini 14 or 30. Can anyone help me make a decision?

Can't speak for the Mini 14, but don't trade your AK for a Mini 30. I sold a Colt Combat Commander Series 70 for a Mini 30 years ago, because I wanted a rifle that shoots 7.62X39mm. I regretted it so much; I need Dr. Browns De Lorean to fix that error. This was after the 2000 assault weapon ban and before the 2006 expiration of Clinton's federal ban laws.The Mini 30 that I owned was problematic! It was very picky with magazines, ammo, and zero accuracy after the fourth round. And on hot days, I'll end up breaking my target frame at Angeles Shooting Range. My old Romanian G AK was ten times better. Maybe the Mini 30 I had was one from a bad bunch, but I would never make that gamble again.

canative
06-29-2011, 7:06 PM
I've had my Mini-30 for over 10 years now, shooting mostly Wolf with no problems. Just make sure you clean it after every range trip. Has decent accuracy out to 200yds. You really can't use after market hi-cap mags cause they won't work very good. Stick with Ruger OEM hi-cap mags, but they can get $$. I would stick with your AK.

Serbian
06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
so now its down to Saiga vs Mini 14 lol.

biloutkast
06-29-2011, 10:22 PM
If you want a different platform and you're keeping the AK.
Get a Mini.

mcat707
06-29-2011, 10:29 PM
The 580 series Mini 14 I had ate anything I fed it. Ruger OEM mags are a must. Aftermarket mags are problems waiting to happen so dont waste your money on them.

Hmmmm...AK vs Saiga vs Mini 14? Any of the 3 will be good to go.

Foriegn power
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I do not own an Ak or a Mini 14 or 30. But if I were in the market for those types of rifles I would get the Mini. The thought of owning a rifle that I cannot legally release my magazine is insane. For one, "what if" i needed to clear a jam, double feed during a life and death encounter? I'm screwed, I would much rather have the ability to drop my magazine freely!

Full Clip
06-30-2011, 1:08 AM
Try featureless before doing anything else. It's the cheapest option and easy to back away from if you don't like it.
Unless you're just fishing for an excuse to buy a new gun...:)

For one, "what if" i needed to clear a jam, double feed during a life and death encounter? I'm screwed, I would much rather have the ability to drop my magazine freely!

Exactly why I got rid of my mag locks. Annoying even if you're just plinking at the range, let alone some L/D sit.

eagleAR
06-30-2011, 3:43 AM
Keep the AK! Screw the mini and get a saiga for half the price!

mif_slim
06-30-2011, 9:04 AM
I dont fit well with AK, the shouldering system doesnt fit me... but I have a Saiga 7.62 and I have to say, "AK" vs Mini, AK in my books all day. I've had 2 mini's and they really REALLY shot MOB (Minute of Barn) size. I must of shot over 100 rounds at a 5'x2' target at 100 yards and manage to land about 60...the other 40 would be a mystery...Thought it was a lemon, sold it and got another....same thing. Missed a deer at 80 yards standing broadside...it watched me unload 10 rounds at it before trotting off slowing over the hill top laughing at me.

At the range, I saw a guys pattern about 21" group at 100 yards, I asked if he's shooting iron, he said scope and with a mini-30, also stated that he's selling it off when he gets home because he spent hundreds of rounds trying to dial it in. I have however heard that the Mini's suppose to be much better now, but I'll have to see it to believe it. I love the design, but that type of precision just wont cut it for me.

For me, I wouldnt do it!

NorCalK9.com
06-30-2011, 9:08 AM
Ok bud keep the AK n go buy a saiga today a mini14 tomrrow and a mini30 sunday then on tuesday go and get an ak74 good luck bud.

23 Blast
06-30-2011, 9:18 AM
mif, you might have gotten two lemons in a row,
but honestly, your experience isn't atypical for Mini owners either.

My own experience with Minis was much better. I've owned and shot three Minis (actually shot another friend's Mini once, but it was only a few rounds and I didn't form an opinion of it). My first Mini was a new 581- series Mini 30, it was brand new when I bought it, it supposedly is chambered and bored for the .311 Russian ammo, instead of the tighter .308 bores of old. So, accuracy-wise, it was at least as good as my Mosins, but once I discovered that it failed to detonate Russian ammo about 1/2 of the time, I traded it for a 580 series Mini 14, which I'm actually quite impressed by. This new Mini 14 is definitely a keeper.

My third Mini was a 185- series Mini I got in a trade with another Calgunner. I suppose I could scope it and figure out what type of groups it can print, but with stock irons Id guess that it would be MOPP (minute of pie plate) at 100 meters. Not too bad, but not adequate if I'm targeting squirrels and such.

Still, all of the Minis I shot were fun to shoot and had the nice handling qualities of a good, lightweight carbine. They're great little guns and the new ones are worth it, IMO. Saigas are good values, no doubt, but they look and feel very 'clunky' to me. Like a slapped together jalopy with mismatched fenders, a mottled paint job, but which also has a new engine and new tires; it might drive fine and be a great value, but I'd rather have a new car that looks halfway decent.

shadow65
06-30-2011, 9:19 AM
If SHTF I would always want an AK. They just run.

23 Blast
06-30-2011, 9:24 AM
If SHTF I would always want an AK. They just run.

So do Minis.

Although I agree with you (If I had to bug out and choose between Mini and AK, I'd take the AK and remove the maglock), Minis have similar stories of ridiculous reliability just like the AK.

zfields
06-30-2011, 9:50 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_VCu2TDO40E/Tctmc6iQYoI/AAAAAAAAAMU/q0YWj7Ol05s/s720/DSC00421.JPG

Another big +1 to featureless.

Rekrab
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Featureless is a absolutely the way to go. Kydex grip wraps aren't distracting or diffcult to get accustomed to. I often take my featureless RPK to the CGN booths just so I can show people how great it is. Hell, even using 10 round mags I'd want featureless! It's just that much better.

CSACANNONEER
06-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Featureless is the only way to go. I can runn my 75 round drums in my AKs as long as I can afford to fill them.

Javi
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Featureless is a absolutely the way to go. Kydex grip wraps aren't distracting or diffcult to get accustomed to. I often take my featureless RPK to the CGN booths just so I can show people how great it is. Hell, even using 10 round mags I'd want featureless! It's just that much better.

I think I'll buy a Kydex wrap and alternate between Bullet Button & not :)

mif_slim
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
mif, you might have gotten two lemons in a row,
but honestly, your experience isn't atypical for Mini owners either.

My own experience with Minis was much better. I've owned and shot three Minis (actually shot another friend's Mini once, but it was only a few rounds and I didn't form an opinion of it). My first Mini was a new 581- series Mini 30, it was brand new when I bought it, it supposedly is chambered and bored for the .311 Russian ammo, instead of the tighter .308 bores of old. So, accuracy-wise, it was at least as good as my Mosins, but once I discovered that it failed to detonate Russian ammo about 1/2 of the time, I traded it for a 580 series Mini 14, which I'm actually quite impressed by. This new Mini 14 is definitely a keeper.

My third Mini was a 185- series Mini I got in a trade with another Calgunner. I suppose I could scope it and figure out what type of groups it can print, but with stock irons Id guess that it would be MOPP (minute of pie plate) at 100 meters. Not too bad, but not adequate if I'm targeting squirrels and such.

Still, all of the Minis I shot were fun to shoot and had the nice handling qualities of a good, lightweight carbine. They're great little guns and the new ones are worth it, IMO. Saigas are good values, no doubt, but they look and feel very 'clunky' to me. Like a slapped together jalopy with mismatched fenders, a mottled paint job, but which also has a new engine and new tires; it might drive fine and be a great value, but I'd rather have a new car that looks halfway decent.

That could of pretty much been it. Honestly, I got two because I just LOVE the design of the gun but the accuracy that I got from them was unacceptable. Like I said, if someone got the chance to show me that the mini-14/30 shoots well.. Im up for purchasing another one any day!

resident-shooter
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Like I said, pick up a saiga, convert it for the ak mags and shoot 30z all day long

762.DEFENSE
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
If you don't want the "neutered AK" feel you have with your current set up, go featureless.. Either go with a MM Grip, HH Grip or a Kydex wrap. Since I'm sure if you're running any sort of brake on your AK you'd be fine. As long as you don't have a collapsable stock, pistol grip, VFG, or Flash Hider you're good to go.

Keep the AK, if you want a .223 featureless rifle then get the Mini-14, don't grab the 30 unless you just purely want the gun. They're pretty finicky about the ammo you run through them, so keep that in mind.

762.DEFENSE
06-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Featureless is the only way to go. I can runn my 75 round drums in my AKs as long as I can afford to fill them.

That's what I'm talking about!:punk:

SJgunguy24
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
If you don't want the "neutered AK" feel you have with your current set up, go featureless.. Either go with a MM Grip, HH Grip or a Kydex wrap. Since I'm sure if you're running any sort of brake on your AK you'd be fine. As long as you don't have a collapsable stock, pistol grip, VFG, or Flash Hider you're good to go.

Keep the AK, if you want a .223 featureless rifle then get the Mini-14, don't grab the 30 unless you just purely want the gun. They're pretty finicky about the ammo you run through them, so keep that in mind.

My next build will be a sister gun to my featureless, but a 223 Saiga with the AR mag well. That is the best of both worlds, AK reliability and 30 round AR mags.

zfields
06-30-2011, 1:32 PM
how are the 223s. Ive herd mixed feelings on reliability.

Serbian
07-02-2011, 2:43 PM
So far Saiga .223 is winning. Its the AK platform I love without features plus the accuracy of the .223! Whats this about saigas taking AR mags??