PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 ?'s

mrvash
06-29-2011, 8:08 AM
Okay guys, a few more question and I'll stop creating threads! (Sorry I am new to the shotgun concept and platform) I want to create my Mossberg 500 something along the lines like this:

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/7/73/Mossberg500CruiserwithForegrip.jpg/800px-Mossberg500CruiserwithForegrip.jpg

I have done some research pertaining to CA's shotgun laws, from my understanding the format I want to make my shotgun (pictured above) would be legal to do so as long as the barrel is a minimum of 18" and has an overall length of a minimum 26" and as long as it's also a pump action and not magazine fed. Another thing, anyone want to take a guess to what is the overall length of the shotgun pictured above is? It seems like it may be under the 26" minimum requirement, if so how short should I go with my barrel to have a 26" overall length with the pistol grip?

2nd question! Where can I purchase a magazine extension tube to be able to fit 2+ additional shells, and how long does the barrel have to be to make it "flush" with the extension tube, I would like the magazine tube and barrel to be aligned, where the barrel isn't longer than the magazine tube.

3rd, would a Mossberg factory pistol grip from a 20 Gauge work/fit on a Mossberg 12 Gauge?

Lastly, thanks!

BigDogatPlay
06-29-2011, 8:30 AM
I have done some research pertaining to CA's shotgun laws, from my understanding the format I want to make my shotgun (pictured above) would be legal to do so as long as the barrel is a minimum of 18" and has an overall length of 26" and along as it's also a pump action and not magazine fed.

If it's a pump, all you need to worry about is barrel length and overall length. Your numbers above are correct. What you picture is, essentially, what Mossberg markets as their "Persuader". \

FWIW... vertical foregrips on pump guns can sometimes be problematic. They seem to be kind of prone to torquing the action bars. Not always, but I've seen it happen a time or two.

2nd question! Where can I purchase a magazine extension tube to be able to fit 2+ additional shells, and how long does the barrel have to be to make it "flush" with the extension tube, I would like the magazine tube and barrel to be aligned, where the barrel isn't longer than the magazine tube.

With the Mossberg 500 there is no extension. The gun's design is such that you can't apply an extension to the mag tube like you can a Remington. If you want higher capacity, buy the 7+1 shot model, which has a 20 inch barrel and the magazine attached at the muzzle, or if you have a 5+1 gun such as shown above, you can buy a kit which includes the longer magazine and a barrel to match it.

For the money spent on a 5+1 gun and a kit, you would almost certainly be able to buy a 7+1 gun and have money left over for ammo.

Bear in mind that you can buy a full stock 7+1 gun and simply change the stock out to a pistol grip only, if that's what you have in mind. These guns are very modular and take well to accessorizing if that's what you have in mind.

3rd, would a Mossberg factory pistol grip from a 20 Gauge work/fit on a Mossberg 12 Gauge?

Not sure, but I believe so. As I recall the receivers are the same dimensions externally. If I am incorrect someone will be along shortly to tell me. :D