PDA

View Full Version : Mossbery 930SPX

CBRKURT
06-29-2011, 8:03 AM
Does anyone have experience with this shotgun I am considering picking one up for my self as it's right in the price range I was looking at for a Semi Auto.

BigDogatPlay
06-29-2011, 8:33 AM
Search, and expanding the forum display to more than a day or two, is your friend.

Most recent similar thread is here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=448629) Just a couple of days old.

gadjeep
06-29-2011, 8:45 AM
I have the 930 tactical and I love it. I put a 2 rd magazine tube extension on it and it flat out runs.

3GunFunShooter
06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Go to the Brian Enos forums, in the shotgun technical section there is over 13 pages about the 930. Mossberg is suppose to come out with a 930 for 3 gun. Enos is the place for very good information from competitive shooters from all over the country.
These guys are the ones who put firearms to the test.

hitman13
06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Awesome SG!

tay
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Great shotgun, checkout my range report:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=450236

resident-shooter
06-29-2011, 2:27 PM
it sux

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 4:15 PM
I like mine.

Sheepdog1968
06-29-2011, 5:53 PM
As a toy for social plinking it's fine and I enjoy it. For home defense, I have found it to be nowhere near as reliable as either a Moss 500 or 590. I would not IMO use the 930 for home defense.

CBRKURT
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Why wouldn't you use it for HD?? Have you had problems with it firing or feeding before??

Capt Jack
06-30-2011, 1:35 PM
As a toy for social plinking it's fine and I enjoy it. For home defense, I have found it to be nowhere near as reliable as either a Moss 500 or 590. I would not IMO use the 930 for home defense.

I've got over 500 shells through mine without any issues, not a single hangup. Its in my safe for HD and I would trust my life to it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has one of these for HD :confused:

If yours is unreliable, I would consider having it looked at or send it back to Mossberg. To the OP, I dont have the SPX, I've got the 930 Home Security, but I am pretty sure the SPX is just as good, oh, my good friend just started the DROS on his 930 since he liked mine so much! :D

tacticalcity
06-30-2011, 2:29 PM
It has been on my wishlist for a while now.

There is a school of thought from the "pump" guy's that semi-autos are not the best option for self-defense. This is because any semi-auto firearm requires something to recoil against. It needs you to be firmly behind it, to provide the resitence needed for it to cycle the next round in place. With a pump, there are certain goofy firing positions that will work just fine that probably wouldn't with a semi-auto.

That said, there are boat load of upsides to a semi-auto that I personally like and trust.

CBRKURT
06-30-2011, 2:35 PM
Tactical City, what are the upsides to the semi auto that you like and trust?? I'm trying to convince myself to buy this gun. Budsgunshop has them for a pretty good deal right now.

Markus
06-30-2011, 2:41 PM
the mossberrys taste like mossberys.......

BigDogatPlay
06-30-2011, 2:57 PM
Why wouldn't you use it for HD?? Have you had problems with it firing or feeding before??

The short list of issues I've identified that I have problems with.

** How do you store the gun ready for use?

- Empty chamber, full mag, bolt closed, or
- Loaded chamber, full mag, bolt closed, or
- Empty chamber, full mag, bolt open, shell ghost loaded on carrier, or
- Empty chamber, empty mag, bolt however you like.

There are potential pitfalls with all of those in my mind. With the first, you are relying on the first shell coming out of the tube with enough authority to trip the carrier latch and allow the gun to cycle forward when running the bolt by hand. This is not, necessarily, a 100% outcome as you might find by practicing that with snap caps. At least thats my experience owning and working with 1100s and 11-87s. Sometimes the bolt may / will lock open. Loaded chamber, full mag is optimum, but probably not around the house and especially if you have kids. Ghost loading on an open bolt risks the shell falling out or binding the action while you get the gun from storage to up and ready. Choice #4 isn't ready at all.

With a pump, an empty chamber, full mag, bolt closed and hammer down means all you have to do is pump the gun once and it's in business. The most common failure drill is pump the gun again, for a semi its more involved. Manual of arms is so much simpler with a pump that it tips the scale for me in this area.

** Hand position

With the semi, you need to take one hand or the other from firing position to charge the gun, assuming you store with an empty chamber. With a pump the hands never leave their firing positions unless or until you have to reload it. While we all know how well we can do on the range, and how pros do in competition but its a different world in the middle of an adrenaline dump when you have to deploy lethal force.

** Ammo selection

While it is always best to shoot good quality defensive ammo, there are those semi autos that are either finicky with ammo, or perhaps don't like the reduced recoil rounds that are so popular (and effective) now. With a pump, unless the gun is broken or the ammo is completely FUBAR, it's going to go bang and you can cycle it, pretty much every time.

Those are my main reasons why I don't choose a semi-auto shotgun for HD. There are others, but those are the biggies. It also comes down to personal preference and how you train. If a guy feels like he is good to go with a semi-auto, I won't argue with him. I respect his choice, and I hope he respects mine.

Kodemonkey
06-30-2011, 2:58 PM
Tactical City, what are the upsides to the semi auto that you like and trust?? I'm trying to convince myself to buy this gun. Budsgunshop has them for a pretty good deal right now.

#1 for me is that a pump can be short stroked easily under stress when you are trying to shoot as fast as you can. semi autos don't have that problem.

Sheepdog1968
06-30-2011, 5:52 PM

Yes, I have. I can expect one minor issue per box of 25 for 00 buck. Nothing I can't easily fix. I've got about 300 rounds through it. I really haven't tried to hard to resolve it (taking it apart and cleaning it would be a good start). I've had the same thing happen on bird shot and slugs as well. I've never had this kind of issue with the pump Moss 500s and 590s.

I ejjoy the 930SPX, don't get me wrong. I just don't find it to be as reliable as my pumps. Based on results to date, I am disinclined to invest the time and energy in trying to make it as reliable since the pumps work just fine.

Sheepdog1968
06-30-2011, 5:59 PM
I've got over 500 shells through mine without any issues, not a single hangup. Its in my safe for HD and I would trust my life to it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has one of these for HD :confused:

If yours is unreliable, I would consider having it looked at or send it back to Mossberg. To the OP, I dont have the SPX, I've got the 930 Home Security, but I am pretty sure the SPX is just as good, oh, my good friend just started the DROS on his 930 since he liked mine so much! :D

Some folks find theirs to be quite reliable like you. Before I send it back, I need to take it apart, give it a good clean, and spend the time at the range looking more critically at it. This just hasnt' been a high priority for me. I'm short on free time and since this semi auto works well enough for social plinking I don't worry much about it. I have had my home defense stuff figured out now for 20 years and it's very unlikely I would change what I know to work well.

Sheepdog1968
06-30-2011, 6:03 PM
The short list of issues I've identified that I have problems with.

** How do you store the gun ready for use?

- Empty chamber, full mag, bolt closed, or
- Loaded chamber, full mag, bolt closed, or
- Empty chamber, full mag, bolt open, shell ghost loaded on carrier, or
- Empty chamber, empty mag, bolt however you like.

There are potential pitfalls with all of those in my mind. With the first, you are relying on the first shell coming out of the tube with enough authority to trip the carrier latch and allow the gun to cycle forward when running the bolt by hand. This is not, necessarily, a 100% outcome as you might find by practicing that with snap caps. At least thats my experience owning and working with 1100s and 11-87s. Sometimes the bolt may / will lock open. Loaded chamber, full mag is optimum, but probably not around the house and especially if you have kids. Ghost loading on an open bolt risks the shell falling out or binding the action while you get the gun from storage to up and ready. Choice #4 isn't ready at all.

With a pump, an empty chamber, full mag, bolt closed and hammer down means all you have to do is pump the gun once and it's in business. The most common failure drill is pump the gun again, for a semi its more involved. Manual of arms is so much simpler with a pump that it tips the scale for me in this area.

** Hand position

With the semi, you need to take one hand or the other from firing position to charge the gun, assuming you store with an empty chamber. With a pump the hands never leave their firing positions unless or until you have to reload it. While we all know how well we can do on the range, and how pros do in competition but its a different world in the middle of an adrenaline dump when you have to deploy lethal force.

** Ammo selection

While it is always best to shoot good quality defensive ammo, there are those semi autos that are either finicky with ammo, or perhaps don't like the reduced recoil rounds that are so popular (and effective) now. With a pump, unless the gun is broken or the ammo is completely FUBAR, it's going to go bang and you can cycle it, pretty much every time.

Those are my main reasons why I don't choose a semi-auto shotgun for HD. There are others, but those are the biggies. It also comes down to personal preference and how you train. If a guy feels like he is good to go with a semi-auto, I won't argue with him. I respect his choice, and I hope he respects mine.

I've had similar experiences with the 930SPX in terms of magazine full and charging it and sometimes a shell doesn't load. I'm sure with time I could have it work. However, it doesn't appear for me and my particular weapon to be quite as straight forward as racking a semi auto pistol to load the chamber or a semi-auto rifle.

speeddreamz
06-30-2011, 6:13 PM
As far as needing something to recoil against to cycle, I think that could be irrelevant.

The 930 is gas operated, so if I'm not mistaken, it wouldn't matter.

Inertia driven systems, m1, m2 even a "1911" limpwristed would be examples of that no?

---

As far as my experiences, initially it didn't take bird shot, but cycled all other heavier loads such as buck and slugs. After about 250 rounds it pretty much always cycled reliably until I let it go for maybe 600 rounds without cleaning. The firing pin got gunked up and wouldn't strike the primer. I gave it a good cleaning and recently shot about 300 rds without a single issue.

I think the first thing comes down to proper maintenance.
Next proper operation, (whether its loading correctly or not short stroking a pump).
Lastly comfort as far as it naturally fitting you and how you operate a shotgun.

I have a rem870 for home defense, and a 930 for competition. If I could get another auto shot gun I would use it for home defense. The reason I won't use the 930 for HD is because most of the time its config'ed with a 24,26 inch barrel with a improved cyl choke.

If i had my choice I'd probably go with an 930, m2, m1, m4, slp with an 18in no choke.

vintagedude88
06-30-2011, 9:22 PM
I saw on TV, the show was "American Guardian", they were doing a tactical shotgun training course at Blackwater. The instructor used a 590 the host was using the 930SPX. The instructor had no problems but the show host did. Hence the argument for a pump for HD vs. semi.

I've always wanted a 930 but I got a Saiga instead. Despite all the work and mods to make it run flawlessly with any ammo and its AK reliability, I still don't consider it for HD use. That job is for my 500 Persuader.

CBRKURT
07-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Well I put the shotgun on layaway at Buds. I can't wait to get it in my hands and shoot it.

GW
07-03-2011, 1:59 PM

I disagree. Assuming you have a properly functioning semi, this option is more than adequate. The hammer down (pulled trigger) readies another round for feeding so all you need to do is rack the action and you are GTG. Your other points about the pump are good ones. Autos generally need a heavier load to cycle but knowing that, you buy heavier loads.
With the semi, you need to take one hand or the other from firing position to charge the gun, assuming you store with an empty chamber. With a pump the hands never leave their firing positions unless or until you have to reload it.
Technically correct but the semi can be fired and cycled without a hand on the forend. Hardly a best practice but doable if necessary ie disabled weak hand.
That said, I love my semis and would hardly feel at any disadvantage having to use one BUT...
I keep a 590 by the bed;)