PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Ambi Safety & Why...

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 6:46 AM
For you ambi safety users (especially featureless users), what is your favorite ambi safety and why?

Right now, I am considering the following:

- Battle Arms Development (non-ST)
- KAC
- Troy

Please give me your suggestions.

shark92651
06-29-2011, 6:50 AM
Stag or DPMS. To me, this is not a part worth spending extra money on. I see right-handed people buy these for their Bullet Buttoned rifles all the time... At least with a featureless rifle it has a purpose, I agree, but I don't see the need to spend twice as much for the same function.

glock_this
06-29-2011, 6:51 AM
I just got the Battle Arms Development using the standard and slim as my 2 options (and for a limited time, they are giving you a third lever option which is nice). Certainly, I think all of these ambi safeties are a bit pricey for what they do and really offer the normal RT hand shooter, but normally if your looking to buy, your like me and just like that customization from stock. So, Battle Arms Development is a CGN member, makes a darn nice lever, the smooth but knarled edges feel real good, it is very modular (and I love that). I liked the lever options and designs much better personally.

NinjafiedGun
06-29-2011, 7:38 AM
+1 For the BAD ***. :) why? Because it's completely modular and you can change the size to fit your hands. Very well thought out design. Color happens to match Geiselle triggers for those with OCD.

joefrank64k
06-29-2011, 7:49 AM
Stag or DPMS. To me, this is not a part worth spending extra money on. I see right-handed people buy these for their Bullet Buttoned rifles all the time... At least with a featureless rifle it has a purpose, I agree, but I don't see the need to spend twice as much for the same function.

I agree with shark on this one...I'm a lefty and have Stag Ambis on all four of my AR builds. They install easily and work perfectly. Why pay more?

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 7:52 AM
I like the idea of the BAD-@$$, but my only misgiving now is in the rare event both sides lose the screws holding in the levers, you are hosed.

glock_this
06-29-2011, 7:55 AM
Why pay more?

Because there are other more modular options than the Stag.

I mean really, if you want to go down this road - you don't even "need" an ambi safety selector. But you opted to spend some money to upgrade to one. So, what's the difference between you spending money and anyone else spending money to upgrade? The Stags are stock with a stock lever on the other side while something like the Battle Arms has multiple lever options and each can be changed on either side. So if anything, at least by "paying more" you get more choices.

glock_this
06-29-2011, 7:56 AM
I like the idea of the BAD-@$$, but my only misgiving now is in the rare event both sides lose the screws holding in the levers, you are hosed.

Lock-tite

I mean really, the chances of this are rather slim if installed correctly. There are many bolts on your weapon, so those don't have the same chances of coming loose?

triggs75
06-29-2011, 8:04 AM
+1 for Bad @$$..

I have the short on the ambi side and the thin on the other side. Since I am a lefty this works out great with the thin lever cause it does not get in the way of my grip.

Chad

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 8:06 AM
Lock-tite

I mean really, the chances of this are rather slim if installed correctly. There are many bolts on your weapon, so those don't have the same chances of coming loose?

I did mention it was a rare and probably unlikely event. I do like the discounts I would get with the BAD-@$$.

Btw, I already have an inexpensive DSA Ambi safety and I don't like how it works with my AR Gold trigger. But thank you for the Stag or DPMS suggestions.

Also, if you didn't guess from post #1 this will be for a featureless setup. Although, I am left-handed I shoot my long guns right-handed.

evidens83
06-29-2011, 8:10 AM
Stag. Because I got a good deal in the marketplace ;) And it does the job.

glock_this
06-29-2011, 8:13 AM
Also, if you didn't guess from post #1 this will be for a featureless setup. Although, I am left-handed I shoot my long guns right-handed.

So, from that post #1 we were suppose to be able to discern

1. this was for featureless
2. your left handed
3. but you shoot long guns right handed

uh yeah, sorry, I missed all that guessing, just don't know how :43: :eek:

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 8:18 AM
So, from that post #1 we were suppose to be able to discern

1. this was for featureless
2. your left handed
3. but you shoot long guns right handed

uh yeah, sorry, I missed all that guessing, just don't know how :43: :eek:

Uh, no. That's why there are two sentences. The first referring to my original post referring to featureless and the next as a separate mention of my handedness and shooting style.

You know, for a smart-@$$ comment yours wasn't very smart. :kiss:

Outta Control
06-29-2011, 8:50 AM
On a functional perspective having an ambi is a blessing for us tactical carbine students. Shooting from a dominant shoulder the muscle memory to switch selector on safe while doing a drill is a no-brainer but it gets a bit complicated to manipulate the non-ambi selector switch on a non-dominant hand from a non-dominant shoulder.

I don't mean that it could not be done but if speed is key for the drill having the ambi option is best. As far as brand goes RG said it best. You don't need to spend a lot of $$ on an ambi as I really don't care if it is modular or not as long as it works.

Jubz
06-29-2011, 8:52 AM
I added the KAC ambi safety and love it (right hand shooter). Makes it really easy to activate the safety with my trigger finger using the meat of index finger between the first and second knuckle and not switching my right hand grip. I went with the KAC since it has 2 right side levers, which I use the 'thin' one. The thin one has half of the lever thinned down so it doesn't protrude into my trigger finger when on "fire." The detent pin on the KAC is also an upgrade from a stock one.

http://www.knightarmco.com/images/control/ambi_safety.jpg

tacticalcity
06-29-2011, 8:54 AM
I prefer an ambi safety that screws in from the outside, and not on the inside. Beyond that I am not too concerned about the brand. I've used dirt cheap ones that worked better than the really high end ones. With these, most work great but every once in a long while you get one that doesn't measure up. It can happen with any brand or style. Because it has as much to do with your lower, and your detent pins as it does the safety itself.

Iggy
06-29-2011, 9:16 AM
http://iggycorp.com/gun/n4ffl1.JPG

http://iggycorp.com/gun/n4ffl2.JPG

I've been using the Colt Ambi (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4902/Product/FIRE_CONTROL_SELECTOR) because A) It's cheap B) It's Colt.

This one is clean as you can reverse it to either side. I don't really see a need for a fancy Ambi selector on a featureless since it will rarely get used on the left side.

If I were to buy a bling selector it would be the Battle Arms.

CK_32
06-29-2011, 9:20 AM
Any one that works.

Flyingpootang
06-29-2011, 9:31 AM
DPMS gets good reviews and their only 19.00
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR049-7.html

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 9:43 AM
I've been using the Colt Ambi (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4902/Product/FIRE_CONTROL_SELECTOR) because A) It's cheap B) It's Colt.

This one is clean as you can reverse it to either side. I don't really see a need for a fancy Ambi selector on a featureless since it will rarely get used on the left side.

If I were to buy a bling selector it would be the Battle Arms.

Reversible. Now that is an interesting suggestion. Thanks.

glock_this
06-29-2011, 9:49 AM
Well if you like the idea of "reversible" then you would love the BA as you can reverse/swap/change levers from several different style options to either side.

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 9:50 AM
Well if you like the idea of "reversible" then you would love the BA as you can reverse/swap/change levers from several different style options to either side.

Definitely liking what I am reading about the BA so far. Looking to get one of their Geissele packages so I have a trigger for my next build.

BANG BANG
06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm converting to featureless too, the Colt ambi looks to fit my bill.

strongpoint
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I added the KAC ambi safety and love it (right hand shooter). Makes it really easy to activate the safety with my trigger finger using the meat of index finger between the first and second knuckle and not switching my right hand grip.

+1 on the practical side. the RRA ambi star (http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=384) is really easy to manipulate like this -- the rounded part fits right under my knuckle. i love mine; it's very ergonomic.

Sniper3142
06-29-2011, 11:03 AM
B.A.D. A.S.S.

IPSICK
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Close to ordering BAD @$$ but I have to convince myself I am "saving" money by getting the Geissele package.

ETA: Pulled the trigger and got the BAD-@$$ w/ the Standard, Short, Thin levers and the Geissele 3-Gun trigger. Cheaped out and could not convince myself to pay $6 extra for the Hybrid lever. Now I need to buy another lower for the trigger.

rareair
06-29-2011, 4:42 PM
If you're rifle is equipped with a bunch of Troy parts, I say go for the Troy selector. It's a very nice piece. No visible screws as it's a ball/spring/detent design. Otherwise, the DPMS or Stag selector works just as good.

If not for the price, I'd equip all my rifles with it. Needless to say, at a $50/retail price, only 2 of my rifles will be so equipped
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2182Small-1.jpg

bigevil
07-06-2011, 9:25 PM
I love the Battle Arms Development, the safety is SOLID and installation is easy. I also really like being able to configure it separately. Most importantly though the guys there are super super cool and friendly, they even sent me a few extra selector springs cause they knew I was a noobie who would likely ruin his(which I did the first time!)

UserM4
07-06-2011, 9:34 PM
My LMT works great.

IPSICK
07-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Got the BAD@$$ and so far I like it. Very smooth with my Geissele S3G but now I'm unsure if I like the S3G.

Seesm
07-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I like cheap and dirty... I have only one for my featurless build... All da rest is evilz...

Paul_R
07-07-2011, 4:17 AM
What ever is cheapest, functionally they're all the same. One thing for me is that none of 'em work well with the extended rear take down pin. The pin causes a pinch point.

infernl
07-07-2011, 4:49 AM
Is it strange that I think that the standard single-sided safety works fine, and I haven't even thought to replace its form or function?

themailman
07-07-2011, 5:39 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=443547

IPSICK
07-07-2011, 7:10 AM
Is it strange that I think that the standard single-sided safety works fine, and I haven't even thought to replace its form or function?

I think it's strange if you run featureless that way. If we were free, I'd run the single sided safety.