PDA

View Full Version : shotgun light

dobsy5111
06-28-2011, 11:58 PM
i had a cheapo handheld tactical light mounted on the front of my 12 gauge shotgun and as i expected, after a couple trips to the range with it on, the thing died. does anyone have experience with lights mounted on shotguns? if i get a surefire 6p, for example, will it survive the shock of repeated 12 gauge shooting? i don't want to spend good money on a surefire only to have it die like the other one. thanks!

mrvash
06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
I've heard some models from the 4Sevens series of lights work really well.

aippi
06-29-2011, 6:25 AM
The 6P may not but the 6PL will work fine as will the G2L and any of the Surefire LED lights. I am a Surefire Dealer and feature these on my Custom Built shotguns and have sent a lot of each model out with builds and not a single client has had an issue using these as weapons lights so this Information is solid.

Cost wise go with the G2L as it is simply a 6PL in a polymer body.

Marlin Hunter
06-29-2011, 6:44 AM
i had a cheapo handheld tactical light mounted on the front of my 12 gauge shotgun and as i expected, after a couple trips to the range with it on, the thing died. does anyone have experience with lights mounted on shotguns? if i get a surefire 6p, for example, will it survive the shock of repeated 12 gauge shooting? i don't want to spend good money on a surefire only to have it die like the other one. thanks!

Was the bulb an LED or filament type?

dobsy5111
06-29-2011, 7:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. It was a lumaforce lf1 which is a led I think

aippi
06-29-2011, 9:32 AM
There are so many LEF flashlights made today that many are very inexpensive, however, they are not weapon light quality and will not hold up. Surefire lights are pricey, but they are worth the cost and Surefire stands by the life time warranty 100%. They have the best customer service in the accessories business.

Sicarius
06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Stick with LED. Incans are more prone to breakage. Surefire makes excelent weapon lights. I would suggest to opt for one of their forearm mounted lights but they aren't cheap. Surefire are not the brightest lights out there but they definately are the most durable. I would sacrifice a few lumens for robustness on a mounted light any day of the week.
Kevin

prc77
06-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Stream Light TLR-1 is a vey nice light, also, will fit on you pistol if it has a rail.

GettoPhilosopher
06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Look up Watchmaker in classifieds. He sells Surefire clones with rechargeable lithium batteries and 375 lumen lamps for $175. I've heard nothing but great things about them, really need to order one (or more).

aippi
06-29-2011, 2:09 PM
By clones, you mean knock offs that look like but are not the real thing. You realize that when you have one fails and you have no recourse from the Manufacturer as they are knock off artist in China. If that is what you are talking about then You get what you pay for and also what you derserve for trying to put air-soft grade stuff on a firearm.

Barbarossa
06-29-2011, 3:29 PM
JD,

Are you still recommending the CDM mounts?

I've yet to mount that TRL-1s.

watchmaker
06-30-2011, 8:53 AM
By clones, you mean knock offs that look like but are not the real thing. You realize that when you have one fails and you have no recourse from the Manufacturer as they are knock off artist in China. If that is what you are talking about then You get what you pay for and also what you derserve for trying to put air-soft grade stuff on a firearm.

I make high quality clones of the Surefire using rechargeable oversize batteries and specially made lamps of 350 lumens.
Run time is 2 hours 20 minutes at 350 lumens or up to 24 hours with the 5 level lamp of 350/175/50 lumens.

My lights are waterproof, shockproof, and with a 50,000 hours lamp life.
And I fully warranty them for a year, body, lamp, charger and battery, no other manufacturer do that.

Watchmaker

Barbarossa
06-30-2011, 9:36 AM
I make high quality clones of the Surefire.

So they are high quality knock offs?

And I fully warranty them for a year, body, lamp, charger and battery, no other manufacturer do [Does] that.

Pretty Sure Surefire has you beat...
Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and switches may eventually wear out.
Almost everything else is covered by our no-hassle warranties:

SureFire warrants our illumination tools, edged weapons, and pen products to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, including any LEDs housed within, for the lifetime of the original owner.

Vendor Sub-Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)

BLC
06-30-2011, 8:04 PM
Anybody use one of these mounts? I pick up my 590 A1 on Saturday and was thinking of trying one.

Dozen Gauge
06-30-2011, 8:53 PM
Anybody use one of these mounts? I pick up my 590 A1 on Saturday and was thinking of trying one.

I'm using one but only have around 200 rounds thru since mounting. Haven't had to tighten it up yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/ElPlymino/Winchester%201300%20Defender/100_0070-1-1.jpg

BLC
06-30-2011, 9:34 PM
Cool, think I will give it a shot, no pun intended!

redrex
07-01-2011, 1:29 AM

Do you have actual experience with the pruducts this guy sells? I'm curios as you are stating this as though its a well known fact, at least as I read it. There didn't seem to be any ambiguity, or qualification in your statement.

Also while slandering a competitors product in public like this don't you fell that in the interests of full disclosure and such that you should at least point out that you are in fact a "Surefire Professional Dealer".

Now to Mr. Barbarossa, as one "red beard" to another, please lay off with the spelling/grammar correcting. If you don't agree with the guy fine, make your point and move on, but correcting what is most likely a typo is not only lame but oh so very 1998. The rest of the Internet has Dropped it, perhaps you can to. If not I've left several errors in my post just for you.

Lastly, "so they are high quality knock offs". So your supporting argument is really just sarcasm?

This industry is practically built on clones and knock offs. He'll my wife shoots a Bersa 380 that she loves. It's clearly a clone of a Walther. It is half the price and solid as a rock. And based on your logic Kimbers and thier ilk are total junk. What about Lexus, here is a car brand built entirely by knocking off German luxury cars yet many people prefer them and there is little doubt to their build quality. The fools. ;)

Now for my full disclosure I must admit that I do not own any of these products nor do i know any of the people who posted about them. Also it's waaaaay past my bed time and I'm very loopy so I apologies if this comes off as being to harsh.

aippi
07-01-2011, 2:10 PM
Competitor? Man are you lost. I doubt he is manufacturing these and even he is calling them "Clones". An injection mold cost about $60,000 to get up and running so he is not a manufacturer. I would suspect he is taking the china air soft clone and simply changing the lamp and batteries. He is selling an illegal copy of a fine product and you are coming down on me??????? You are out of line redrex because in this country a Manufacturer has protection rights. Anyone doing this is a Product and patten thief yet you defend him???????? You need to get a clue to what this country is about redrex.

I don't have to qualify a comment about this as it is obvious to anyone who knows qualtiy accessories what this guy is selling. For anyone buying one of these, just try sending it to Surfire for repair. They will confinscate it and then you can go buy another cheap knock off.

Barbarossa
07-01-2011, 2:23 PM
Now to Mr. Barbarossa, as one "red beard" to another, please lay off with the spelling/grammar correcting.

That's Herr Doktor Barbarossa! :D

prc77
07-01-2011, 3:38 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276900

redrex
07-01-2011, 3:39 PM
First off I came down on you for not being upfront about the fact that you have horse in this race. And now you scoff at calling him a competitor when you could have just manned up and said, Yep, I sell a similar product. Hiding that fact and then belittling the guy after you are exposed does littel to support your claim on your website as being a "straight shooter". Feels a lot more like used car salesman.

But since I'm so lost please help me out. I'll admit that I have never held or even seen in person the items that he is selling. I had asked you if you had but I don't see a response on that. So I will ask again. DO YOU HAVE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF HIS PRODUCT?

You see I ask becasue, since you did not answer my question I'm left to assume that you have not. So then you are going based just on the same pics that I have seen. So then the question is what is the "illegal" aspect of this product? Was there a specific patent that was infringed? If so what patent? Trade Secrets that were stolen? Perhaps a non-compete clause that he is overstepping. Does it say Surefire on it? Are we talking about a counterfit? And no a Clone doesn't make it counterfit. What exactly is it that makes this item illegal? And if it is illegal then why has Surefire not simply fired of a Cease and Desist letter at this point?

I went to his posting and looked at it and while it looks similar to a Surefire it doesn't look identical and I didn't see anything on it that said Surfire. Is he telling peopel that this IS a Surefire? Does Surefire hold a patent on all tacticale lights attached to a firearm? If so there is a large display at Big 5 that needs to be taken down.

If there is anyone who needs to get a clue and perhaps some meds it is most certianly you. I know damn well what this coutry is about. Not only that I know what patents, IP, trade secrets and copyright infringement is all about. I work in an industry where we deal with that every day. Not only that but it is my job to negotiate contracts and business based on those topics. In fact I have 5 seperate contracts open on my screen right now that I'm editing, all of them based on the very topic of IP.

Yes it's true that the patent system in the US is one of the reasons that we lead the world in invention and new ideas. But it is the concept of competition that has built this country to where it is. If you don't think every great idea spawned 1, 10, or 100 or competitors then you not only don't have a clue you must live under a very large rock.

Don't try to hide behind some folks crap about America is built on .... America is built on enterprising folks who see a an opertunity and they go after it. I've found time and time again, that I overprice, over engineered crap is just that.

$350 on a freaking flashlight. That sounds like a line item from a NASA purchase order.

"it is obvious to anyone who knows qualtiy" said the man to the Emporor about his new clothes.

aippi
07-01-2011, 3:52 PM
I have never sold anything on this site. He is not a competitor as he is not a Surefire Dealer. You do not have to be a dealer to defend a good product against theives and rip off artist. You are not worth any more comment.

redrex
07-01-2011, 5:18 PM
I have never sold anything on this site.
Yet everyone of your 1,000 + posts has your sig with a full on add and link to your business???

He is not a competitor as he is not a Surefire Dealer. You skipped a couple of chapters in basic business right? Do you not think that Ford is a competitor to Chevy? You share a customer base or this would be a non issue.

You do not have to be a dealer to defend a good product against thieves and rip off artist. But if you are you should have the integrity to be up front and honest about it. In the Tech forum, when they are talking about video games and I make a comment I always add the disclaimer that I work in that industry.

As to Watchworks or whatever his name is, if he is selling something that says SureFire on it and it's not or he is claiming that it's SureFire and it's not then hell yes, I say tie him to the flag pole and lets have a pig roast. But I've now asked you twice if you know for sure that he is selling counterfeit stuff and you have not answered the question! Why are you dodging me? Can anyone tell me this, is he selling counterfeit products. If he is he needs to be banned from the board.

If not, if what he is doing is buying cheap components, taking out the bad and putting back in good quality stuff to make something that is close to as good if not better then the original then that is capitalism at it's finest. Hell people have been doing that with cars for YEARS. Carol Shelby made a fortune doing it. Then he lost it. Then he cheated and went to jail and now he is making money on it again.

It's the hacker mentality! Hell it drives most of Silicon Valley. Take a solid if cheap design - flaws + quality parts = profit?

But I don't buy that line of "They were here first and anyone else who does something like this is a thief. "

Coke - Pepsi
Mustang - Camaro
Callaway - Everyone else!

epilepticninja
07-08-2011, 4:25 PM
I have never sold anything on this site. He is not a competitor as he is not a Surefire Dealer. You do not have to be a dealer to defend a good product against theives and rip off artist. You are not worth any more comment.

I'm not a dealer but I love Surefire products. I've got a G2 with a Cree Drop-in on my Win 1300 using a Elzetta holder. I'm getting ready to put another G2 with a Cree Drop-in on my AR-15. And I'm getting a E2D to replace my G2 that I stuck on my shottie. I've also given G2's to friends of mine, and they love them. Surefire makes great stuff.

To Red, grammar is everything, even on the internet. And in 1998, most peeps were on dial-up and there wasn't a whole lot of forum traffic to scrutinize. Try "that was so 2008." A much better analogy.