PDA

View Full Version : Dove hunting spots in Southern CA?

$nake-Eye$
06-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Any suggestions on the best places to hunt doves in southern CA?

Used to hunt dove in Yuma, AZ over Labor Day Weekend as a kid with my dad and LOVED it, but that was 20 years ago and now looking for closer places in CA.

Any recommendations? I remember Salton Sea as being one of the alternatives my dad's friends used to go to. Is it still any good there?

ElvenSoul
06-29-2011, 12:23 AM
By Lake Perris some spots!

quaildog1
06-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Yes, the Salton Sea area is still an area that is hunted a lot opening day/weekend. It can be very crowded and a lot of shot in the air though! There are public lands that are set aside for dove hunting that have been planted with crops to attract dove and then plowed/cut before the season. They have maps available at some of the local stores such as Yellow Mart. I forget the name of the group that plants and posts the public land but a search for dove hunting near the Salton Sea should help you. I'll search after posting this. There are old posts from last year's opening on this forum.

quaildog1
06-29-2011, 1:00 AM
Check out the Desert Wildlife Unlimited's web site. They are the ones planting crops and what-not for public access down around the Salton Sea.

ADAM
06-29-2011, 9:27 PM
bakersfield is your best bet

spectr17
06-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I talked to Leon Lesicka who runs DWU in Imperial Valley at the recent CDA dinner here in San Bernardino. He said he lost fields 13 & 14 and that they were trying to get more fields lined up and planted for dove this fall. He said that was going to be tough since sudan grass was getting top dollar this year. He also said they were going to rename the fields to correspond to the laterals they are on. Make sure you check in before heading down this year for new maps and current info. I'll get a copy of their new map and post it here when it comes available. They should have a copy on their DWU website too at http://www.desertwildlifeunlimited.com/