PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for an upper receiver to be cracked?

pods22
06-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi All,
I am mostly a reader here, seldom post. This great site has been a wealth of info for me during my first AR build... so Thank You All! I recently completed my build and took her out for the first range session on Sunday. My first time shooting an AR, and it was a blast tearing up paper and dinging steel out at 200:D I put about 300 rounds total downrange, and nothing rapid fire. It shot really well, accuracy was great. It definitely outshoots my ability. Only malfunction was when the top round in the mag got jammed while being stripped off.

Well, I just pulled it apart tonight to give it a quick clean and noticed something that made my heart drop. It looks like my upper receiver has a crack in it. It appears in the wall opposite of the ejection port. It runs vertically and is located about as far back as the end of the gas tube.

So my question is: Is this phenomenon (that looks like a crack) normal within a receiver? Am I just being paranoid? This is very disheartening to me, due to the money I put into this upper (Noveske).
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/pods22/noveskecrack03.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/pods22/noveskecrack02.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/pods22/noveskecrack01.jpg

pyro3k2
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I notcied that your AR is dirty, could possibly just be some oil/lube that got baked on after a few rounds. Please clean the receiver and repost pictures :D. Could just be something a simple cleaning will take care of, I highly doubt that a Noveske cracked after 300 rounds.

ir0nclash86
06-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Looks like carbon

glock_this
06-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Is it possible? Absoluteily. From my phone this looks like an imperfection in the cast/mold? It does not look like a crack.

What brand upper?

Lone_Gunman
06-28-2011, 11:19 PM
This?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104344&stc=1&d=1309328234

That's not a crack. Looks like some baked on carbon or maybe where some lube cooked away. Clean it with CLP and a clean cloth. Don't use 40x bore cleaner on the inside of your upper. (Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:)

brando
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Yes, the alloy receivers actually can crack (don't butt stroke someone with an AR), but as mentioned above: that's not a crack.

glock_this
06-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Also did you try to simply run your pinky over it? That alone could confirm what we all seem to agree on.

killshot44
06-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Doubt that is "baked on", if that pic is after after you wiped it clean it's possibly a blem in the finish.

Wasn't there before?
Visible on the outer side?

The part normally isn't "stressed", but it is adjacent to the notch for the bolt cam.

Odd.

pods22
06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
The receiver has been cleaned. I wiped it with a rag and some Hoppes 9. The flash may be blowing out the colors a little, but it is definitely some type of light colored 'vein'. I ran my finger over it and didn't feel anything, so I doubt it is a fracture. Definitely not visible from the outside. But it does look like some type of blemish. I honestly dont know if it was there before or not.
I am just hoping to get an idea whether I need to be concerned enough to call the place where I bought it.

missiontrails
06-29-2011, 1:11 AM
That is for sure the dry lube coating that is applied...... yours just happens to be more splotchy than some.. No way that it's a crack.

THT
06-29-2011, 7:21 AM
That is for sure the dry lube coating that is applied...... yours just happens to be more splotchy than some.. No way that it's a crack.

Bingo.

CHS
06-29-2011, 8:39 AM
It's the factory dry-lube that's applied on the inside of every upper receiver.

That's it. Nothing else to see here.

pods22
06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I am feeling alot better now. Thanks for all the replies and input. It seems the consensus is that it's just a blem in the coating, and that it is nothing to worry about. Do I even bother contacting the vendor about getting something blemished?

THT
06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Well, I am feeling alot better now. Thanks for all the replies and input. It seems the consensus is that it's just a blem in the coating, and that it is nothing to worry about. Do I even bother contacting the vendor about getting something blemished?

Nope. You should see some of the uppers that come through my hands. I keep a bottle of acetone on hand to remove the oversprayed dry film lube from the exterior of the receiver.

CHS
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM

What? That's not a blem. That's completely normal.

It's a dry-lube finish that's sprayed on in liquid form and dries out to stay put.

It just ends up looking "organic" as some areas build up a little more lube than others.

It will wear out and disappear after a couple thousand rounds and a few cleanings anyways.

pods22
06-29-2011, 4:21 PM
Thanks to all who replied to put my mind at ease. I think we can put this thread to rest now. I havent posted any pictures in the gallery yet because I am not good at taking pictures. But I will attach one here. I can never get the camera to capture the color (UDE) accurately. The flash always blows it out, or the photos are too dark without the flash.
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/pods22/100_0455.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/pods22/100_0453.jpg

Scutler
06-29-2011, 4:42 PM
Nice rifle sir. You could try turning off the flash and use alternate light sources to aid in taking a better picture.

CHS
06-29-2011, 5:41 PM
It's a Noveske. Makes more sense now.

Noveske is a known offender when it comes to laying on the dry-lube super thick.

Then again, they're better than many manufacturers that don't include it at all.