PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have bought from CMP...?

SofaGeorge
06-28-2011, 4:40 PM
I just ordered an M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanshp Program (CMP). I've never ordered a rifle from the before. I checked and triple checked all my paper work, got a Notary to sign my #2 form (and I had her notarize my passport and DL even though they don't ask for it)... and sent a Cashiers check for the amount of the purchase. My question for those of you who have ordered rifles from them is:

Did your transaction go smoothly?

I've never mail ordered a gun or done anything like CMP. I know at the gun stores they are as careful as careful can be to make sure every state and federal form is filled out correctly. Do people usually have things go smoothly with the CMP... or is it common to have your application get rejected for a paperwork screw up?

Sorry to sound like a nervous chowderhead - but it was a mind bender filling out all those forms and trying to make sure I got everything right.

bhaworth
06-28-2011, 4:45 PM
I have purchased an M1 Garand and a Carbine from them. No problems at all. There was a fairly long wait for the Correct Grade Garand. If you send just the paperwork they ask for you will eventually end up with the Garand delivered to your door.

Slugo
06-28-2011, 5:04 PM
I ordered an M1 Carbine several years ago, and my transaction went very smoothly. Once you get all of your paperwork squared away and mailed, all you have to do is wait. WTG on your purchase. Don't forget to post some pictures when FedEx drops off your new toy!

ETA: If there are any issues with your paperwork/information, (which is rare) the CMP will contact you and only put your order on "hold". An error in filling out your forms does not automatically disqualify you, and your order will not be rejected.

Josh3239
06-28-2011, 5:21 PM
CMP is great. Use their forum: http://forums.thecmp.org/

saigarocks
06-28-2011, 5:26 PM
no problem - just a long wait -

Tank 57
Other than waiting far longer than the usual 10 days,no issues.

mls343
Other than using a credit card - which speeds the process - you are good to go. You will find that the CMP Customer Service is second to none. In addition, the Service Grades being shipped these days are in fantastic condition.

From my perspective having purchsed from them multiple times now, kick back, open a cold one and just wait for the FedEx van to show up on your doorstep in about 25 to 30 days with your new rifle. Go ahead and check the e-store if you want, but she will get there when she gets there and you will be happy. For some people, the wait is 1/2 the fun.

No worries and congratulations!

JAGGUY
06-28-2011, 5:31 PM
Bought a Garand and carbine from the CMP. Less than 30 day wait for either and no problems at all. Ammo purchases were the same.
Don't worry about it, a totally class act including next day Fedex shipping on the rifles. Check out the price to do that!

SofaGeorge
06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks all... this is great to hear. I'm going to try to put it out of my mind and do my best not to watch the mailbox every day. I ordered ammo with the gun... so I hope that doesnt slow the process. It's going to be a glorious day when it arrives.

BTW... where do you get your En Bloc clips? I can buy ammo easy... but I didn't see separate cips on the website... hence my ordering a couple bandoliers preloaded with clips.

Cato
06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I've been through the process three times. Everytime it went through without a hitch. I was always very careful about following their guidelines. Waittime varied a lot: my first M1 Garand I recieved in 7 days from when I dropped my order in the mail box! Yes, in seven days, the rifle was in my hands. My last order was a 1903 Springfield that took about a month. So it depends on how busy they are at the time.

Ron-Solo
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
CMP = Heaven

missiontrails
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
My dad's Correct Grade Garand arrived from CMP in less than one month..... Springfield, and appeared as though it was never fired.

Divernhunter
06-29-2011, 12:35 AM
I have ordered at least a dozen rifles from them and 20+ cans of ammo. Sometimes you have to wait for them to ship(once about 100 days) but they will ship them and you will get a email telling you the numbers so you can tell the arrival date for the ammo and all rifles are overnight. IF you goofed on the paperwork(I did once) they will send you what you need to fix. So relax and check your emails.

PS none of it will come in the mail.

bhaworth
06-29-2011, 8:34 AM
Thanks all... this is great to hear. I'm going to try to put it out of my mind and do my best not to watch the mailbox every day. I ordered ammo with the gun... so I hope that doesnt slow the process. It's going to be a glorious day when it arrives.

BTW... where do you get your En Bloc clips? I can buy ammo easy... but I didn't see separate cips on the website... hence my ordering a couple bandoliers preloaded with clips.
http://e-sarcoinc.com/m1garand8shotclipbagof20.aspx

All types of the En Bloc Clips available from e-sarcoinc.com and this is a great place to get parts too.

Rule .308
06-29-2011, 9:08 AM
I have purchased several Garands, Carbines, ammo, air rifles, and other parts off of them over the past 20+ years and have never had a single problem. Fill out the forms, send them in and sit back and wait for the Fed Ex truck.

joefrank64k
06-29-2011, 9:47 AM
CMP is the best. The last Service Grade rifle I bought from them (about 2 months ago) looked un-issued (except for the new wood), it was hard to believe! T/E was listed as 2 and M/W was listed as <1.

The hard case it came in was cracked. I sent an e-mail with pics, they got back to me within a day, Fed-ex'd a brand-new case with a return shipping label overnight, and I was back in business.

In spite of the present political and economic gloom and doom, when you're unboxing your M-1 Garand, that was delivered right to your door, you have to step back and say "What a great country we live in!" :D

popeye4
06-29-2011, 4:09 PM
My original Garand that I got in 1995 came from DCM and was delivered by USPS. It took about 90 days to get it. The last one I ordered (a couple of years ago) came in two weeks and was delivered by Fedex. No 4473, no DROS. Life is good.

Josh3239
06-29-2011, 4:31 PM
All of my Aggressive Engineering clips works great. They sell them on Midway USA.

Maddog5150
06-29-2011, 4:38 PM
I'm so pissed at CMP!!!!!
They wont sell P17s through mail order :p
I got my garand a few months ago, only waited about six weeks. Got the email that it was being shipped and it showed up on my door. I got the service grade and I CANNOT believe how great it looks. It looks just as good as an off the shelf brand new springfield armory garand!

SofaGeorge
06-29-2011, 9:19 PM
I ordered an H&R... if all goes well I'll order a Springfield as soon as it arrives.

Is the Greek ammo good? they seemed to go out of their way warning about discoloration... but I just care if it goes bang.

And is there a reason the Winchesters sold out?

snafu510
06-29-2011, 9:35 PM
So***eorge, I had the same concerns as you when I ordered my first one. After that it's much easier. Maybe a little too easy. They keep your paperwork on file for 3 years (I think) and as long as you don't move you can order again without all the hassle.

Buying a gun from your own government and having fed ex deliver it to your door is probably the coolest way to buy a gun.

popeye4
06-30-2011, 9:01 AM
Greek ammo is fine. CMP goes out of their way to make sure expectations are not too high (so you will be pleasantly surprised, not the other way around). You will be pleased with the Greek, though you MAY find a few that aren't pristine.

They are about the only government-affiliated organization that is genuinely interested in customer service and satisfaction.

ke6guj
06-30-2011, 9:07 AM
Buying a gun from your own government and having fed ex deliver it to your door is probably the coolest way to buy a gun.it was even cooler when then mailman used to do the delivery from the DCM.

SofaGeorge
06-30-2011, 7:54 PM
So***eorge, I had the same concerns as you when I ordered my first one. After that it's much easier. Maybe a little too easy. They keep your paperwork on file for 3 years (I think) and as long as you don't move you can order again without all the hassle.

Buying a gun from your own government and having fed ex deliver it to your door is probably the coolest way to buy a gun.

Thanks. I was just going to ask about that. I want to order another one as soon as I get the first one. My wife said if I keep racking up brownie points at work I'm going to be in for another firearm reward. :)