PDA

View Full Version : That North wind today rocked! Anyone else do good?

anotherone
12-27-2006, 7:34 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here's mine:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/kphga1977/P1010056.jpg

Best of all I limited on public land proving you don't need to pay someone $5000+ per year to kill a lot of ducks. I was in blind 41 at Sacramento Wildlife Refuge.

pieeater
12-27-2006, 8:09 PM
Good shoot! I used to hunt there when I was younger. I havnt hunted ducks in years, though I still hunt everything else. Were you in one of the blinds that borders the closed zone?

chris
12-27-2006, 8:10 PM
looks like you had fun. i had to work. so no duck hunting for me.

anotherone
12-27-2006, 9:28 PM
Good shoot! I used to hunt there when I was younger. I havnt hunted ducks in years, though I still hunt everything else. Were you in one of the blinds that borders the closed zone?

Yeah Blind 41 hugs up against the closed zone. It's kinda between 36 and 45 which are pretty much ON the closed zone though. Those guys limited faster than we did but we still limites.

2 Mallard Drakes
1 Gadwall Drake
1 Gadwall Hen
2 Shoveler Drakes (mmmm spoonies)
1 Shoveler Hen

LIMIT!

Rumpled
12-27-2006, 9:36 PM
Cool, I didn't do any good; I was at work here in SoCal.
I hope to make a hunt up in NorCal in mid-Jan.

chickenfried
12-27-2006, 9:37 PM
Which ones taste the best?

2 Mallard Drakes
1 Gadwall Drake
1 Gadwall Hen
2 Shoveler Drakes (mmmm spoonies)
1 Shoveler Hen

LIMIT!

sargenv
12-28-2006, 8:24 AM
It's funny..

Dad has been hunting most every day up in the valley and he's had pretty much blue bird weather, so he comes home for the holidays and has to stick around to do errands and what happens, this is probably the best week of shooting with the North wind he's been praying for all season. Go figure.. :D

He was pretty upset last week in the morning when I joined him at his club, and overall the day wasn't too bad, it was kind of slow all day, but we managed to pick up a mixed bag of Widgeon, Mallard, A snow, a few Sprig (1 each), and a wood duck hen. 12 birds in all and not a bad hunt, just not the "north windy day" hunt that might have netted us a few more geese.

Vince

VeryCoolCat
12-28-2006, 10:12 AM
No Coots? :p

proraptor
12-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Awesome pic!

XLIV
12-28-2006, 12:15 PM
mine already breasted and in freezer, cant post pics,

Tuesday heavy rain, windy, in Redding...2 honkers, 2 Redheads, 1 Can, 1 Bluebill.

All before 11am.

gose
12-28-2006, 9:10 PM

Tuesday heavy rain, windy, in Redding...2 honkers, 2 Redheads, 1 Can, 1 Bluebill.

All before 11am.

I've done 2 redheads and 10 cans before 10pm... does that count? :D

anotherone
12-28-2006, 9:34 PM

All before 11am.

All divers and geese huh? Were you hunting a lake on BLM land or a private club? I've killed some Bufflehead and Ringnecks up at Gray Lodge NWR but haven't really seen any cans and reds.

marksbb
12-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Hunted sac. Refuge last year in blind #21. More Ducks than I could shoot.

You're right about not having to pay for a private club, as I was a member up that way for quite a few years. Didn't do any better than hunting public lands for just a few bucks.

Only drawback to Sac is the large number of shovelers and other mud feeding birds.

Congatulations, always nice to limit!

anotherone
12-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Hunted sac. Refuge last year in blind #21. More Ducks than I could shoot.

You're right about not having to pay for a private club, as I was a member up that way for quite a few years. Didn't do any better than hunting public lands for just a few bucks.

Only drawback to Sac is the large number of shovelers and other mud feeding birds.

Congatulations, always nice to limit!

I could have limited sooner if I had shot more shovelers. The 3 that I did shoot I shot later on just to limit and get out of there.

XLIV
12-29-2006, 3:10 PM
Lake on private land.

Lots of Reds that day, too bad the limit is only 2.