PDA

View Full Version : Benelli MR1 Question

Go Navy
06-28-2011, 4:46 PM
Being a 5.56/.223 fan, I finally got around to handling a Benelli MR1 in a local gun store today. I have to say I was impressed with it. I noticed it has an actual functioning mag release button.

Is the MR1 Calif. legal "as sold" in Calif? In other words, can I assume you don't have to bastardize it with bullet buttons etc.? Is there a legal issue with pistol grip vs. no pistol grip on this rifle?

They told me it will accept standard M16 magazines. It has no Rambo gizmos on the muzzle and no provision for same. I like the ergonomics and the trigger, the short stroke piston design, the reciprocating bolt handle, all the controls. At first it looks strange because it doesn't look like an AR-15, but after awhile, the looks grew on me.

Is the MR1 in its standard factory configuration Calif. legal?

hcbr
06-28-2011, 5:26 PM
Assuming that you went to a local gun store "in california" and that the store was willing to sell it to any resident that passed a dros, then yes, that one you looked at was legal. Otherwise as is from the factory, it depends. Not sure if benelli has a cali specific one made to be compliant, but ifnot, then they would have to be modified like all other rifles to meet the requirements (bullet button, length req, etc.)

lrtraut
06-28-2011, 5:29 PM
It is legal in CA with the detachable mag in the standard buttstock configuration (without a pistol grip).

Helixfury
06-28-2011, 5:30 PM
The CA legal MR1 comes with the comforttech stock, no pistol grip and no barrel
attachments. Yes , you could use your legal standard mags to your enjoyment and be able to use the mag release. Enjoy it!

X-NewYawker
06-28-2011, 8:25 PM
This is the legal ca model as sold by Turners and others --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1010399.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1010409.jpg

MrPlink
06-28-2011, 9:42 PM
if only the storm was offered in a similar configuration

axhoaxho
06-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes, the MR1 (with the ComforTech stock configuration) is totally CA friendly, and does not need bullet button. Yes, it can shoot .223 or 5.56 rounds. The MR1 indeed can also use AR15 magazines, which my favorite is the NHMTG 10-rounds mags and they work perfectly with my MR1.

I also replaced the recoil pad with a shorter 13-7/8" LOP one. Now even my wife feels very comfortable shouldering and shooting the MR1.

The only drawback to me might be its price, yet the MR1 is very quality made and is a very nice little .223/5.56 'featureless' CA rifle.

Regards,

bjl333
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes, the MR1 (with the ComforTech stock configuration) is totally CA friendly, and does not need bullet button. Yes, it can shoot .223 or 5.56 rounds. The MR1 indeed can also use AR15 magazines, which my favorite is the NHMTG 10-rounds mags and they work perfectly with my MR1.

I also replaced the recoil pad with a shorter 13-7/8" LOP one. Now even my wife feels very comfortable shouldering and shooting the MR1.

The only drawback to me might be its price, yet the MR1 is very quality made and is a very nice little .223/5.56 'featureless' CA rifle.

Regards,

^100% correct!!^

Look up an unneutered version. You'll notice a pistol grip there.

Go Navy
06-29-2011, 4:14 PM
Yup, those pictures are just like the one I saw and handled in the store the other day. The one I saw had what appeared to be a 16 or 16.25 inch barrel.

For you chaps who own one: what kind of accuracy results are you getting at, say, 100 yards with or without glass?

It's nice to know that it is Calif. compliant without looking doofus.

ap3572001
07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Assuming that you went to a local gun store "in california" and that the store was willing to sell it to any resident that passed a dros, then yes, that one you looked at was legal. Otherwise as is from the factory, it depends. Not sure if benelli has a cali specific one made to be compliant, but ifnot, then they would have to be modified like all other rifles to meet the requirements (bullet button, length req, etc.)

I own two MR1's. Its good to go in Ca. Takes M16 mags. ( made for M16 mags). Very effective rifle . By the way , in Ca You do NOT need a BB on every rifle that uses detachable magazines.

Go Navy
07-13-2011, 9:52 PM
I own two MR1's. Its good to go in Ca. Takes M16 mags. ( made for M16 mags). Very effective rifle . By the way , in Ca You do NOT need a BB on every rifle that uses detachable magazines.

Thanks for all the responses.

Since you own a pair, have you scoped either of them? If so, what scope, and what kind of groups are you getting at, say, 100 yards.

Cyc Wid It
07-13-2011, 10:08 PM
It's nice to know that it is Calif. compliant without looking doofus.

Looks pretty terrible to me :(

dfletcher
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I bought one a few months back, just a few observations.

To scope and get an OK cheek weld you'll have to remove the rear sight - otherwise you'll need very high rings. The rear sight is held in place with two screws and they are a bugger to get out, I broke two #15 Torx heads removing them, but they did come out. I stashed the sight in the buttstock, used plug screws to fill in the screw holes on the receiver.

I initially used a Millett DMS scope, but it's really too big for the gun - 30mm tube, long body. I have a Burris Fullfield 2 to 7X on there now. 32 mm front bell, narrow rear bell and cost about $105.00 from Grafs. Nothing fancy but it works fine, clear and I like it better than the dot set ups.

I like bolt guns so for me the trigger isn't so good. Not bad, a bit of "mush" followed by a click.

I've used all sorts of magazines - old Colt, PMags, CProducts and a 100 round Beta. They all work fine. I know some have mentioned certain mags not working though. The MR1 and a 100 rd Beta is quite the sight.

I accidentally ordered a front rail for a Beretta Storm (Italian, starts with B & ends with a vowel - close enough) it costs $30.00 whereas the MR1 front rail costs $100.00. The Beretta rail is the same but you do need 4 short screws & bolts to anchor the thing - for a $70.00 price difference, I bought the screws.

Accuracy is OK - about 2.5" at 100 yds. Reliability is excellent, I've put maybe 500 rounds through it with no failure at all. Cleaning is easy, you do have to "finesse it" a bit to put the receiver back on to the frame.

It takes about 30 seconds to switch the CA legal stock to the PG type - just pop out the recoil pad, unscrew one bolt and that's it. I bring the Mesa Tactical PG stock with me to OR, it is a bit easier to shoot with the PG set up.

I was going to put a small brake on it, two problems popped up. The outside diameter of the brake needs to be .890" or less otherwise taking down the gun becomes a problem and the barrel diameter is just a touch over 1/2" - there may not be enough barrel to cut AR standard threads of 1/2" X 28 TPI. So I've scrapped the brake set up for now, it was mostly a looks set up anyway.

As someone who's not too crazy about plastic guns I really like the thing, it's a neat little gun.

starsnuffer
07-15-2011, 9:51 AM
It's really, really heavy for a .223 rifle with no bells and whistles. Add a decent scope and bipod and it's a real beast.

That said, I've not had any failures after about 2k rounds and it's a breeze to take down and clean, especially if you're familiar with benelli shotguns.

I highly recommend the mesa tactical stock as a replacement for the "comfort-tech". The comfortech is way too long and makes a good cheek weld impossible with a scope. Anything that fits a M2, M4, or supernova will fit the MR1

-W

pennys dad
07-15-2011, 10:29 AM
I am still fusing with my scope choice for this rifle. I want to get a 1x4.
The only thing the bugs me about the rifle is no one has a replacement for the front stock yet.
Oh C Products mags dont work for me at all. I now use bushmaster for it.
Last note, I havent cleaned it yet, its been about a year