PDA

View Full Version : I'm breaking some CA gun law if I do this, right?

zombiescanlearn
06-28-2011, 1:46 PM
I was planning to purchase a HK 10.4" upper receiver and put it on my lower receiver. Am I breaking some CA law or is that fine?

Noobert
06-28-2011, 1:49 PM
Rifle or pistol?

ojisan
06-28-2011, 1:50 PM
On a rifle, no, it's not OK at all.
The rifle will be below the CA minimum length of 30", and below the Fed minimum of 26" / 16" barrel minimum without a SBR tax stamp.

On a pistol, yes.

Falconis
06-28-2011, 1:51 PM
If you put it on a rifle lower you just manufactured an SBR which is a nono. If it's a pistol receiver, I think you are ok. Since this is the rifle forum, I think it's a no no or as my friend likes to say, no no bad dog!

Noobert
06-28-2011, 1:53 PM
Since you can only do that on a pistol, don't forget to read this

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

Iggy
06-28-2011, 1:56 PM
If it's going on a rifle, you can permanently pin a fake can or flash hider over 6".

r3dn3ck
06-28-2011, 2:04 PM
and to answer your next question, if it was originally sold as a rifle, then it is a rifle regardless of the stock configuration. The past tense phrasing of your plan is good... keep it that way. As in was gunna but never did.

ZX-10R
06-28-2011, 2:05 PM
CA = Lame. That's your answer.

Us3rName
06-28-2011, 2:09 PM
upper isn't originally sold as anything other than upper.

r3dn3ck - I think you meant the lower in regards to your post.

If the lower is registered as rifle. It will forever have to be rifle.
If other/pistol - thank it's forever a pistol/other.

The Bacon Eater
06-28-2011, 2:40 PM
I think its considered constructive possession if you have that upper and no pistol lower (if you have a rifle lower now), but i may be wrong. Like others have said above you can blind pin a long 6" long flash hider/break and use it on a rifle lower, or get a pistol lower and register it. Be careful out there

PEBKAC
06-28-2011, 2:44 PM
More importantly one would be breaking federal law as well if one did what the OP suggested assuming he means a rifle lower...

Iggy
06-28-2011, 2:45 PM
Not only state laws are broken, but federal laws as well. SBR is an NFA item.

tgriffin
06-28-2011, 2:49 PM
upper isn't originally sold as anything other than upper.

r3dn3ck - I think you meant the lower in regards to your post.

If the lower is registered as rifle. It will forever have to be rifle.
If other/pistol - thank it's forever a pistol/other.

pistol to rifle is a one way street. A pistol can become a rifle (it in fact DOES become a rifle the moment a buttstock is installed {short list of exceptions, but 99% this holds true}) but a rifle can never be a pistol again.

Secret
06-28-2011, 3:20 PM
CA = Lame. That's your answer.

Thanks for the siggy :) and yes you need a pistol lower

Us3rName
06-28-2011, 3:26 PM
pistol to rifle is a one way street. A pistol can become a rifle (it in fact DOES become a rifle the moment a buttstock is installed {short list of exceptions, but 99% this holds true}) but a rifle can never be a pistol again.

if you were to turn a pistol to a rifle. wouldn't you need to have it inspected and "ok'd" before being able to have it? like re-dros?

PEBKAC
06-28-2011, 4:39 PM
if you were to turn a pistol to a rifle. wouldn't you need to have it inspected and "ok'd" before being able to have it? like re-dros?
No...why would you think you would need to do this?

hcbr
06-28-2011, 5:29 PM
you're just going to have to get another lower and registered it as a pistol lower

zombiescanlearn
06-28-2011, 9:57 PM
Not only state laws are broken, but federal laws as well. SBR is an NFA item.

And I was only worried about CA laws. My parents always said I was an overachiever. Ok, back to the drawing board.

brando
06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Federal Law = Lame. That's your answer.

There, I fixed it for you.

SigEquinox
06-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Question: if you have one pistol lower but more than 1 <16" upper, do you have to worry about constructive possession?

Rebellious
06-29-2011, 2:55 AM
I was planning to purchase a HK 10.4" upper receiver and put it on my lower receiver. Am I breaking some CA law or is that fine?

I'm surprised nobody said this so far......Where are you planning on purchasing this? Everywhere I have checked has been backordered for a long time. Please feel free to share. And to your question, if you are putting it on a registered rifle lower then it's a BIG NO! If you are putting it on a pistol lower your Good To Go!