PDA

View Full Version : Another 1st AR build post...

pzfaust
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Well here it is! My first AR build. Nothing fancy but, I learned a lot building her. Special thanks to all the Calgunners I bought gently used parts from!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/pzfaust/My%201st%20AR15%20build/AR15_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/pzfaust/My%201st%20AR15%20build/AR15_03.jpg

Had to add some of my morbid sense of humor to her! :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/pzfaust/My%201st%20AR15%20build/AR15_02.jpg

iskra31
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Looks good! I like all the magpul gear !

louscamaro91
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
What is that red thing on your bullet button?

sniper4usmc
06-28-2011, 12:03 PM

bullet button wrench

pzfaust
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM

It's bb wrench I got from Midway. I'll take it off when I'm shootin' in CA.

tomd1584
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
It's bb wrench I got from Midway. I'll take it off when I'm shootin'.

better take it off for picture takin' too. :eek: That looks to be an Assault Weapon....

asuh
06-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Looking good. I'm diggin' the black Magpul gear.

Scutler
06-28-2011, 1:12 PM
Very nice

tacticalcity
06-28-2011, 1:17 PM
better take it off for picture takin' too. :eek: That looks to be an Assault Weapon....

Much debated subject. It is not a physically connected part. So you'll never convince me or many others that it stopped being a separate tool just resting there. But many take the opposite view. Only a judge could settle it with an absolute certainty. Nobody wants to be the test case.

It does bug me, however, when people try and say with a tone of absolute certainty that something like this is illegal. The argument to the contrary is just too strong to be so insistent. At most it "might be considered illegal to the point an officer or district attorney would decide to make you their test case". But there is no specific clear cut verbage in the law that spells out that the tool stops being a tool if you let it rest in the bullet button channel. If I let my socket wrent rest on my carborator it is still an independent tool and not a car part. The bullet button and the wrench didn't exist when the law was written. So there was no way they could predict the need for such clarity. It is all subject to interpretation, and no two people come to the same conclusion.

LuciusKang
06-28-2011, 1:28 PM
Where did you get the red and white coloring? Or did it come that way?

evidens83
06-28-2011, 1:35 PM
NICE!

....but might want to take off that wrench though ;)

mlevans66
06-28-2011, 2:24 PM
Looking good!

tomd1584
06-28-2011, 2:30 PM
Much debated subject. It is not a physically connected part. So you'll never convince me or many others that it stopped being a separate tool just resting there. But many take the opposite view. Only a judge could settle it with an absolute certainty. Nobody wants to be the test case.

It does bug me, however, when people try and say with a tone of absolute certainty that something like this is illegal. The argument to the contrary is just too strong to be so insistent. At most it "might be considered illegal to the point an officer or district attorney would decide to make you their test case". But there is no specific clear cut verbage in the law that spells out that the tool stops being a tool if you let it rest in the bullet button channel. If I let my socket wrent rest on my carborator it is still an independent tool and not a car part. The bullet button and the wrench didn't exist when the law was written. So there was no way they could predict the need for such clarity. It is all subject to interpretation, and no two people come to the same conclusion.

well, i never said with 'a tone of absolutely certainty' that this is illegal. what i said was "that looks to be an assault weapon". Why? because it does look like it.

If you're familiar with the Bullet button wrench, it screw into the threads of the mag release. To me that would qualify as "physically connected part" as you put it. Don't you think? Only the OP actually knows if its screwed in or just sitting there. But it does raise the concern.

The OP even went so far as to originally say "It's a bullet button wrench i got from midway. I'll take it off when i'm shootin". That to me implies that he may know that what he's doing is a gray area, but that it's probably OK to take some pictures.

I could honestly care less what people do. But I think it's important people understand the laws to avoid legal issues. For all we know, this picture was probably taken in AZ. But if that was the case, why the OP wouldn't put the original mag release is beyond me. Just my $.02.

:cool2:

pzfaust
06-28-2011, 3:13 PM
Where did you get the red and white coloring? Or did it come that way?

China markers. Here's the post for doing this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=59672

No biggie about the wrench, guys. Only had it on to test dummy rounds in my 10/30 mag. mods. Outside of my home, it comes off.

mlevans66
06-28-2011, 3:15 PM
Forgot to mention this, niiiice ejection port cover!:D

Montu
06-28-2011, 3:21 PM
Nice Build

I like the red highlights

Arnelcheeze
06-28-2011, 3:27 PM
nice, im a fan of JD machine's stuff.

Rock_Islander
06-28-2011, 3:33 PM
Nice! Similar to my second AR I purchased. This one:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/306/dsc03206wo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/dsc03206wo.jpg/)

glock_this
06-28-2011, 3:43 PM
well, i never said with 'a tone of absolutely certainty' that this is illegal. what i said was "that looks to be an assault weapon". Why? because it does look like it.

If you're familiar with the Bullet button wrench, it screw into the threads of the mag release. To me that would qualify as "physically connected part" as you put it. Don't you think? Only the OP actually knows if its screwed in or just sitting there. But it does raise the concern.

The OP even went so far as to originally say "It's a bullet button wrench i got from midway. I'll take it off when i'm shootin". That to me implies that he may know that what he's doing is a gray area, but that it's probably OK to take some pictures.

I could honestly care less what people do. But I think it's important people understand the laws to avoid legal issues. For all we know, this picture was probably taken in AZ. But if that was the case, why the OP wouldn't put the original mag release is beyond me. Just my $.02.

:cool2:

I tend to agree. Those are screwed on, he is in CA, so I would think it is a slippery slope to have it installed/attached while in CA. I mean, who has that tool and just "sets" it there for a photo ;)

When I saw it, I though the same thing and looked at his signature to see where he was at and was like :eek: :) I wouldn't sweet it to much, but I also would not leave it like that while in CA

Sdquattro
06-28-2011, 3:50 PM
Lookin' good, Pete!!! I need to restock on ammo but be sure to let me know when you plan on breaking her in! Love the red and white accents! SUPER CLEAN!!!!

cbustaR6
06-28-2011, 4:47 PM
what kind of sight do you have on your ar?

rareair
06-28-2011, 5:29 PM
what kind of sight do you have on your ar?

The rear is a MagPul MBUS sight. The front is a standard A2

rareair
06-28-2011, 5:31 PM
Took you just over a month there huh Pete? So when are we all getting back together to do some shooting?

Metal Magic
06-28-2011, 6:05 PM
You have somehow built the exact gun I am trying to put together ! ! !

Nice job ! ! !

BTW can we get some specs on this thing ?

pzfaust
06-28-2011, 7:24 PM
Lookin' good, Pete!!! I need to restock on ammo but be sure to let me know when you plan on breaking her in! Love the red and white accents! SUPER CLEAN!!!!

Took you just over a month there huh Pete? So when are we all getting back together to do some shooting?

Hey, you guys didn't tell me when the bug bites... it bites hard! :eek:
Planning on breaking her in tomorrow @ P2K around 6pm with my brother (BTW he just got his lower!). Or we can plan something soon.

Thanks for all the comments and concerns... It's good to know I got you guys watchin' my back!

Her Specs:
JD Machine lower with PSA's LPK MOE
Magpul MOE mil-spec Stock & mil-spec buffer kit from a ebay seller in Utah
RifleGear upper, Rainier Arms BCG, Magpul MOE Handguard, DS Arms ZM4 16" Nitride Treated Chrome Moly 1:9 Twist Barrel

mrenoc1
06-28-2011, 7:41 PM
Very nice!!

hotfire
06-28-2011, 8:08 PM
Very nice looking rifle. I have the same lower and your pic makes me want to color fill it now.

762.DEFENSE
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Well done! :thumbsup: Just wait till BRD kicks in... ;)

pzfaust
06-29-2011, 1:40 PM
Well done! :thumbsup: Just wait till BRD kicks in... ;)

Too late, it already has..... :rolleyes: