PDA

View Full Version : Picking my SG up tmr, some questions about accessories

smurfette
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=117563

are these good for shooting SG?

what steel shot size of birdshot should I get for skeet shooting?

If the stock is too long for me, should I have the stock customized or order a shorter stock?

Thanks!

Barbarossa
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
You should shoot lead for skeet whenever possible.

smurfette
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't know the difference btwn lead and steel shots but the range I go to requires steel shots :pinch:

BigDogatPlay
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Indeed both Pacific Rod & Gun in SF and Richmond Rod & Gun require steel shot on their clay fields. It's a major PITA, but rules are rules.

The differences, aside from the material that the pellets in the shell are made from are discussed with charts at this link. (http://shotshell.drundel.com/steel.htm)

Steel is lighter per pellet and harder. Shot patterns will differ to some degree. Generally speaking you want to go up a size or two with steel to get comparable energy, although that doesn't matter too much with clays. If you can locate shells loaded with #7, #7 1/2 or #8 sized shot, the box will tell you the size, then you'll be pretty much good to go.

The other thing about steel is that you generally need less choke than with lead. Modified choke for lead will deliver close to Full choke performance with steel. Factory choke tubes that can handle both shot type are usually marked with how they are rated for both lead and steel. Generally it's not a good idea to shoot steel through a gun choked more than Full.

Don't know what gun you have bought, but make sure the barrels and choke tubes (if it has them) are good to go with steel shot. Probably should be labelled as such on the box or will say in the instruction manual. If the choke tubes aren't rated for steel shot, you'd need to pick up some aftermarket tubes that are.

Those ear muffs will work, but you may want to consider a good pair of ear plugs. The stock will sometimes knock the muffs off in recoil or keep you from getting a good cheek position on the stock, depending on the model.

Stock length..... try the gun out. Work with a coach at the club you are going to shoot at and see how it fits. Once you have an idea of how it fits you, take the gun to a stock fitter (there's one around just about every club someplace) and have the gun properly fitted to you.

ojisan
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Probably size 6 for steel shot to equal lead size 71/2 or 8.

As far as the earmuffs go, slimmer is better for rifle and shorgun use.
I don't know how thick these are.
Bulky earmuffs sometimes will bump the stock during shouldering.

ETA: Big Dog types fast!

smurfette
06-28-2011, 1:20 PM
so the best size is 6 for shooting clays? I read the link but I'm confused... the steel ones seem be narrower than lead. so they are better for shooting clays, right?
And, where can I get the ammos for the lowest price?

I don't know anything about choke tubes.. I bought a Benelli Nova 12 GA with 28" Barrel.. it comes with two choke tubes, but I didn't get to look at them when I was at Big 5.. so you mean it's better not to use any choke tubes when shooting clays? full means without choke tubes? I'm not familiar with gun terms @.@

I love those ear muffs cuz I like that color.. hehe but I think you guys are right.. I should get ear plugs instead.. which brand do you recommend?

How are they gonna customize the stock? and what's the price range?

Thanks for all the info :)

bjl333
06-28-2011, 1:25 PM
smurfette, go to this thread and take the clinic! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=405000 The best thing anyone can do is get instructions before any type of shooting. Lou will also look into stock fitment for ya. Good Luck and enjoy your new shotgun!! :thumbsup:

smurfette
06-28-2011, 1:41 PM
Thanks, I'm asking my friends to see if they are going with me :)

smurfette
06-28-2011, 2:02 PM
I just checked my calendar. I have a gig on that day, but I'm not sure if it's still on cuz one of the singers is in Europe.. when is the next one?

hcbr
06-28-2011, 3:39 PM
:thumbsup: for what bjl333 said, the skeet clinic will be the best way to learn!

BigDogatPlay
06-28-2011, 8:08 PM
so the best size is 6 for shooting clays? I read the link but I'm confused... the steel ones seem be narrower than lead. so they are better for shooting clays, right?
And, where can I get the ammos for the lowest price?

6 in steel delivers the same amount of power at the target as 7 or 7 1/2 in lead. But that really isn't a concern in clay shooting, it's a concern in hunting where you are knocking down live birds. I would look for 7 to 7 1/2 and go with it for starters.

Cheapest ammo over the counter, generally, is Wal-Mart. Don't know if they stock steel shot shells as I rarely have to buy them. Big 5 might have them, so it may be worth asking when you go back to pick up your gun. Be warned... steel shells are more expensive than lead shells. You can also buy shells at the club.

I don't know anything about choke tubes.. I bought a Benelli Nova 12 GA with 28" Barrel.. it comes with two choke tubes, but I didn't get to look at them when I was at Big 5.. so you mean it's better not to use any choke tubes when shooting clays? full means without choke tubes? I'm not familiar with gun terms @.@

Never, ever shoot a gun equipped with choke tubes without a choke tube installed. That's hard on the gun and you'll wind up replacing a barrel, particularly if you are shooting steel shot.

The choke tubes with your gun will be marked as to what level of choke they are. If you are going to be shooting skeet, Cylinder or Improved Cylinder, if available, would be the place to start. This is where hooking up with an experienced shooter or coach at the club is a benefit. They can help you understand what will work best for the particular type of clay busting you want to do.

If the gun only comes with two tubes, you will most likely want to pick up some others to expand the versatility of your gun across games. Again, an experienced shooter can be a big help. When you do want to purchase more choke tubes, check out Carlson's (http://www.choketube.com/) or Briley (http://www.briley.com/chokeselection.aspx).

How are they gonna customize the stock? and what's the price range?

Stocks can be lengthened, shortened, the top (comb) raised or lower. There are all manner of adjustments or replacements that can be done to get you to a perfect fit for you. Could be a couple hundred dollars or more, depending on the stock, you and what has to be done.

bjl333
06-28-2011, 8:22 PM
I just checked my calendar. I have a gig on that day, but I'm not sure if it's still on cuz one of the singers is in Europe.. when is the next one?

BTW Who is shawty and shotty??? :p:D

smurfette
06-28-2011, 8:30 PM
6 in steel delivers the same amount of power at the target as 7 or 7 1/2 in lead. But that really isn't a concern in clay shooting, it's a concern in hunting where you are knocking down live birds. I would look for 7 to 7 1/2 and go with it for starters.

Cheapest ammo over the counter, generally, is Wal-Mart. Don't know if they stock steel shot shells as I rarely have to buy them. Big 5 might have them, so it may be worth asking when you go back to pick up your gun. Be warned... steel shells are more expensive than lead shells. You can also buy shells at the club.

Never, ever shoot a gun equipped with choke tubes without a choke tube installed. That's hard on the gun and you'll wind up replacing a barrel, particularly if you are shooting steel shot.

The choke tubes with your gun will be marked as to what level of choke they are. If you are going to be shooting skeet, Cylinder or Improved Cylinder, if available, would be the place to start. This is where hooking up with an experienced shooter or coach at the club is a benefit. They can help you understand what will work best for the particular type of clay busting you want to do.

If the gun only comes with two tubes, you will most likely want to pick up some others to expand the versatility of your gun across games. Again, an experienced shooter can be a big help. When you do want to purchase more choke tubes, check out Carlson's (http://www.choketube.com/) or Briley (http://www.briley.com/chokeselection.aspx).

Stocks can be lengthened, shortened, the top (comb) raised or lower. There are all manner of adjustments or replacements that can be done to get you to a perfect fit for you. Could be a couple hundred dollars or more, depending on the stock, you and what has to be done.

I will get a box of Remington size 6 tmr when I pick up my baby..
for the chokes, I don't know which ones they are.. I will look it up on Benelliusa.com now..

I am trying to attend the skeet clinic next month so I can learn how to use the SG properly and see if it fits me well..

Thanks for all your info - very helpful :cheers2:

BTW Who is shawty and shotty??? :p:D

I'm not a fine *ss woman / very attractive woman / very sexy woman.. but shawty sounds like shotty lol and I think it's funny to put them together hehe and of course shotty is my baby Benelli Nova XD

bjl333
06-28-2011, 9:50 PM
I will get a box of Remington size 6 tmr when I pick up my baby..
for the chokes, I don't know which ones they are.. I will look it up on Benelliusa.com now..

I am trying to attend the skeet clinic next month so I can learn how to use the SG properly and see if it fits me well..

Thanks for all your info - very helpful :cheers2:

I'm not a fine *ss woman / very attractive woman / very sexy woman.. but shawty sounds like shotty lol and I think it's funny to put them together hehe and of course shotty is my baby Benelli Nova XD

Don't buy any shells yet!! You need to know where you are shooting and the place you're shooting at. The skeet clinic Thefeeder runs includes shells, unless you plan to play with the shotty before the clinic then don't buy shells. Thefeeder "Lou" will walk you through what is needed and you can pick Lou's brain for other info as well.

bjl333
06-28-2011, 9:57 PM

Huh?!?!?

You don't need to be fine/attractive/sexy to shoot well!! You do however need a good personality, which sounds like you have! Why a good personality to shoot well? Well if you don't nobody's gonna talk to you so you won't learn anything!!:eek::p:p:D

smurfette
06-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Don't buy any shells yet!! You need to know where you are shooting and the place you're shooting at. The skeet clinic Thefeeder runs includes shells, unless you plan to play with the shotty before the clinic then don't buy shells. Thefeeder "Lou" will walk you through what is needed and you can pick Lou's brain for other info as well.

cuz I might go to the range this weekend to shoot clays with my friends if Lou's not opening another clinic

Huh?!?!?

You don't need to be fine/attractive/sexy to shoot well!! You do however need a good personality, which sounds like you have! Why a good personality to shoot well? Well if you don't nobody's gonna talk to you so you won't learn anything!!:eek::p:p:D

oh cuz I meant Shawty = me.. Shawty loves Shotty = I love my Benelli Nova lol and Shawty means fine/attractive/sexy woman but I'm not. haha

Marlin Hunter
06-29-2011, 6:31 AM
cuz I might go to the range this weekend to shoot clays with my friends if Lou's not opening another clinic

oh cuz I meant Shawty = me.. Shawty loves Shotty = I love my Benelli Nova lol and Shawty means fine/attractive/sexy woman but I'm not. haha

Shotty is sometimes an alternate spelling (misspelling) for shoddy.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shoddy

If you want to know what size shot you need, you will have to check with the range to see what sizes they allow. They should have a website with contact info. I suggest 1 ounce or 7/8 ounce loads for lead, and 7/8oz or 3/4oz for steel. More lead/steel in the air does not equal more hits: I have found the opposite is true. I prefer 7/8oz lead and 3/4oz steel for clay shooting. I do not shoot skeet.

smurfette
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I just picked up my shotty and bought a box of size 7 steel shots, 1 oz, 2 3/4.. they didn't have the 3 1/2 in stock..

I thought skeet shooting = shooting clays @.@

Now I need to get a hard case and cleaning kit... any suggestion?

and, do I need to clean it before I use it the first time?

Thanks!

BigDogatPlay
06-30-2011, 3:02 PM
I would clean before the first trip out to shoot. No telling how long it's been in inventory and it's likely got more than a bit of packing grease in it.

smurfette
06-30-2011, 5:43 PM
bought the KleenBore cleaning kit and will clean it later tonight hehe

bjl333
06-30-2011, 9:00 PM
I just picked up my shotty and bought a box of size 7 steel shots, 1 oz, 2 3/4.. they didn't have the 3 1/2 in stock..

I thought skeet shooting = shooting clays @.@

Now I need to get a hard case and cleaning kit... any suggestion?

and, do I need to clean it before I use it the first time?

Thanks!

STAY AWAY from the 3 1/2" shells!!! If you are new to shotguns you do not want to try those. The shells you purchased are fine to shoot with.

smurfette
06-30-2011, 9:53 PM
the first time I was shooting I was shooting the 3 1/2" shells. why not? what's wrong with them.hehe..

bjl333
06-30-2011, 9:59 PM
the first time I was shooting I was shooting the 3 1/2" shells. why not? what's wrong with them.hehe..

OK ... They kick a lot more then regular 2 3/4 shells!! If you're ok with 3 1/2s then nevermind!! :p

smurfette
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
then I think I will be fine cuz my first time was using 3 1/2" on a Remington 870, then switched to a Benelli Super Sport... but the Benelli Nova I have seems bigger... >.<